Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New FFXIV Info (Housing, Alpha>Beta differences..)

HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

This weeks Famitsu will include an interview with the devs, and it explains some things we'll see in the transition from Alpha version to Beta and retail. Quote from andriasang.com:

Here's a summary of the bullet points that were listed at Game Jouhou:

• The Beta version will see some system changes that will make it so that you can more easily string together your attacks.

• The alpha test had bad tempo with insufficient explanations. They've made some revisions to the beta, resulting in a completely different system.

• It will be easier to save up Gil.

• You remember that amazing comparison shot showing how much better the beta looks compared to the alpha? It seems that the beta uses a different technique for its shadows. The alpha version used something called "Project Shadows" while the beta version uses "Depth Buffer Shadows."

• The city of Limsa Lominsa will have two levels.

• There will be a robust log filter in place. This is something that wasn't finished in time for the alpha.

• They're readying something large scale for your home, which functions differently from FFXI's Mog House.

• They'll soon be adding alpha testers as part of the new "alpha 2" phase. They've already selected the participants via drawing!

• As you play the game, you'll be able to freely change the god that you select during character making.

• Vehicles for FFXIV include Chocobo, carriage, boat, and air ship.

• You'll be able to select different colors for your equipment.
Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".

Comments

• NytakitoNytakito Member Posts: 381

Dear Square Enix:

PICK ME!!!! PICK ME!!!!!

... that is all, thread may continue..

"If I'd asked my customers what they wanted, they'd have said a faster horse." - Henry Ford

• RajenRajen Member Posts: 689

Thanks for the info post Hyanmen, this looks very promising .:o

• AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121

The fact that XIV has housing alone is going to instantly attract a certain audience to this game... none of the major post-WoW MMOs out there have any form of housing other than LOTRO, and that one screwed it up big time, so there are a lot of people looking for a game to do it justice. I'm so glad we finally have confirmation that they're keeping this feature!

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

Originally posted by Alberel

The fact that XIV has housing alone is going to instantly attract a certain audience to this game... none of the major post-WoW MMOs out there have any form of housing other than LOTRO, and that one screwed it up big time, so there are a lot of people looking for a game to do it justice. I'm so glad we finally have confirmation that they're keeping this feature!

Indeed, large scale could mean linkshell(guild) houses or something like that.

Just thought I'd add that the new info has already been expanded with three additions:

Three final notes worth mentioning, a quick look at the original Game Jouhou page (google translation), also shows otherwise unreported lines - first loosely translated from Japanese into broken English by Google, and then from broken English into the below by yours truly. Even considering the source, these are still noteworthy:

• They are considering allowing player bazaars to run even while players are logged out.

• Players can participate in the the fighting arena and gambling halls in Ul'dah.

• Items can be inscribed like in FFXI.

Before anyone jumps on the arenas though, given SE's known stance on PvP at the moment (i.e. little/no PvP) and the use of 'arenas' in previous FFs I'm pretty sure the Ul'dah arena is going to be a PvE based affair. Presuming the recent additions to FFXI to likely be experiments for features in FFXIV (Blue mage spell system was a test for the XIV skill system) I'm hoping this may follow the lines of FFX's monster arena using the ZNM mechanics.

Just thought I'd add that the new info has already been expanded with three additions:

Three final notes worth mentioning, a quick look at the original Game Jouhou page (google translation), also shows otherwise unreported lines - first loosely translated from Japanese into broken English by Google, and then from broken English into the below by yours truly. Even considering the source, these are still noteworthy:

• They are considering allowing player bazaars to run even while players are logged out.

• Players can participate in the the fighting arena and gambling halls in Ul'dah.

Before anyone jumps on the arenas though, given SE's known stance on PvP at the moment (i.e. little/no PvP) and the use of 'arenas' in previous FFs I'm pretty sure the Ul'dah arena is going to be a PvE based affair. Presuming the recent additions to FFXI to likely be experiments for features in FFXIV (Blue mage spell system was a test for the XIV skill system) I'm hoping this may follow the lines of FFX's monster arena using the ZNM mechanics.

Sounds great, care to give me the source?

Ah right you've got a different source. It's from Eorzeapedia, I think the team there went through the article themselves to see if the initial translation missed anything.

As they say though, this information isn't 100% confirmed yet, but the sources are known to be reliable so...

• MelonCrazyMelonCrazy Member Posts: 55

Originally posted by Hyanmen

This weeks Famitsu will include an interview with the devs, and it explains some things we'll see in the transition from Alpha version to Beta and retail. Quote from andriasang.com:

Here's a summary of the bullet points that were listed at Game Jouhou:

• The Beta version will see some system changes that will make it so that you can more easily string together your attacks.

• The alpha test had bad tempo with insufficient explanations. They've made some revisions to the beta, resulting in a completely different system.

• It will be easier to save up Gil.

• You remember that amazing comparison shot showing how much better the beta looks compared to the alpha? It seems that the beta uses a different technique for its shadows. The alpha version used something called "Project Shadows" while the beta version uses "Depth Buffer Shadows."

• The city of Limsa Lominsa will have two levels.

• There will be a robust log filter in place. This is something that wasn't finished in time for the alpha.

• They're readying something large scale for your home, which functions like FFXI's Mog House.

• They'll soon be adding alpha testers as part of the new "alpha 2" phase. They've already selected the participants via drawing!

• As you play the game, you'll be able to freely change the god that you select during character making.

• Vehicles for FFXIV include Chocobo, horse driven carriage, boat, and air ship.

• You'll be able to select different colors for your equipment.

Remember, that "Bad tempo" can mean a multitude of things, and not just Combat. We won't know for sure before tomorrow, I'll be sure to post the interview here too.

Never played FFXI and they are going to have housing in this game at launch? Sounds like something that actually appeals to me like housing is in a newer game? I may have to pay more attention to this game more closely, what was FFXI's housing like could you decorate it?

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056

If the game has something like the monster battle minigame in Gold Saucer (FF7), that would be very appealing to me. That was one of my favourite parts of the game (which I liked very much overall).

Does FFXI have a lot of minigames?

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527

Ooooo!!Housing in a post-WOW era game say it isn't so??!! That gets me a little more excited about this game now :) I'm starting to think this is turning out to be a real MMORPG in development , hell I tried and tried on the SWTOR forums to push for housing all the same QQ's and complaints and the no's coming from people that don't want a MMORPG but a single player game, their community is the community of no when it comes to actually making the game something that people want to play and stay with for years, so I gave up and moved on maybe FFXIV will have something good to offer me.

• KalafaxKalafax Member UncommonPosts: 591

You can bank on 14 having mini games of sorts. Thats kinda what this stuff is for, I think alot of people will notice a huge diffrence being this isnt a railroad kinda MMO, so people wont be thinking, what quest, rep, or pvp they should do and more about whats fun for them in the Final Fantasy Universe thats not fast paced mash buttons combat

Mess with the best, Die like the rest

Originally posted by MMO_Doubter

Does FFXI have a lot of minigames?

Hmm, it's hard to say.

There's not much minigames like Gold Saucer (there's a simple form of gambling though) but all the "minigames" are a bit more grand in scale and like full features than "just" a minigame.

Originally posted by Dalgor

You can bank on 14 having mini games of sorts. Thats kinda what this stuff is for, I think alot of people will notice a huge diffrence being this isnt a railroad kinda MMO, so people wont be thinking, what quest, rep, or pvp they should do and more about whats fun for them in the Final Fantasy Universe thats not fast paced mash buttons combat

I'm starting to like this game a lot more compared to whats out there currently , minigames , crafting, housing? All in XIV?

• MurashuMurashu Member UncommonPosts: 1,386

I'm not a fan of the FF theme, but I think I might be able to get over it if they offer customizable housing and they can deliver on the crafting system I've read about.

• pepsi1028pepsi1028 Member Posts: 471

Hmm, I definately have to try this out now.  I really need an in-depth MMO with some challenge right now....

†Pepsi1028†

PEPSI!!!!!
    Get out of your box already...

• jokerthag2jokerthag2 Member Posts: 37

lol theya dded gambling. thats comedy people use to make up a gambling game with the dice rolls xD guess they used that idea

• jokerthag2jokerthag2 Member Posts: 37

Originally posted by firefly2003

I'm starting to like this game a lot more compared to whats out there currently , minigames , crafting, housing? All in XIV?

Square isnt lazy. they actully try to do more. look at how much content ffxi has.

I think squares thinking WHY downscale the game

Originally posted by jokerthag2

Originally posted by firefly2003

Square isnt lazy. they actully try to do more. look at how much content ffxi has.

I think squares thinking WHY downscale the game

Never played FFXI kinda wished I did though now back when it was released, I did enjoy the first 7 Final Fantasy game VII the most loved. If that is Square's development vison for XIV then I will pick this game up due to the elements that are nonexistant in all the other MMOs today that I actually like , crafting with purpose, minigames, housing and other noncombat activities. Sounds like I got a new MMO home :)

• wolfingwolfing Member UncommonPosts: 149

Housing just for the sake of saying they have housing doesn't appeal to me in the least. I want housing with functionality attached. For example:

- Crafting in your house, ability to buy crafting 'machines', etc.

- Setting vendors in your house (i.e. make your house or part of it a shop)

- Ability to insta-travel to your house (with a timer of course)

- Ability to check 'auction house' or whatever if there's one from your house.

- Maybe get special house-related quests

- Storage space in your house.

Otherwise I'll probably buy a house and a chair and check it out for 15 minutes and never go back there as all other games with just cosmetic housing.

• AlbytapsAlbytaps Member Posts: 208

I haven't played FFXI in years (I played since NA launch for 2 years) but it is my favorite mmorpg of all time.  Housing in FFXI was instanced and was more like a apartment (not so different than EQ2.)  No one could visit you but there was plenty of things to do in there like craft, grow components(plants), store your items(bank), recieve your mail,  set up furniture, etc.

I think FFXIV will follow the same pattern.  The only negative being that you will share the same doorway with everyone else's instanced houses. 

That would be cool to have linkshell housing though....

Originally posted by wolfing

Housing just for the sake of saying they have housing doesn't appeal to me in the least. I want housing with functionality attached. For example:

- Crafting in your house, ability to buy crafting 'machines', etc.

- Setting vendors in your house (i.e. make your house or part of it a shop)

- Ability to insta-travel to your house (with a timer of course)

- Ability to check 'auction house' or whatever if there's one from your house.

- Maybe get special house-related quests

- Storage space in your house.

Otherwise I'll probably buy a house and a chair and check it out for 15 minutes and never go back there as all other games with just cosmetic housing.

Thats what I want as well kinda of like SWG's housing but improved upon.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

They added the ability to visit someone elses housing in XI a while ago, just by having the owner click an NPC to allow it. You also have to remember that XI allowed you to level every class on 1 character, so the majority of the space in them was for gear sets and random items. I sort of enjoyed having mannequins to store and show off gear sets. And yes you could craft anywhere in XI, even in your house. Your housing could also be set as a home/return point as well.

I did wish that we could use the auction house from inside them just for crafting purposes, as buying mats in bulk to start a crafting session became annoying with failures and such. Although i am glad they didn't allow that as it would cut down on interactions with other players a lot. Sort of like what i read about in EQ2 with no one being around as they're all hanging out in guild halls.

• twruletwrule Member Posts: 1,251

Let's not get too overhyped on the housing.  For those who didn't play FFXI - the moghouse was an instance that everyone entered at the same point, but then were sorted to their specific personal house, and the feature to have other players come in and visit wasn't added until much later.  I think some of you are imagining something like SWG housing, which is not at all what the moghouse was like.  Don't be surprised/disappointed if the system isn't as robust as you imagine is all I'm saying.

Also, in response to Wolfing - FFXI had all those things with the mog house besides the ability to check the AH from the house.  That's likely on purpose because that would kind of remove any need for players to visit the actual auction house, and cities would be a lot less lively, as alders pointed out.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

What I find funny is that people are like "oooo crafting and housing?".

It's like nobody did their research on FFXI at all.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

Originally posted by GTwander

What I find funny is that people are like "oooo crafting and housing?".

It's like nobody did their research on FFXI at all.

Well to be fair SE had been entirely silent on the point of housing up until now and I was personally uncertain if we would see it return. This is big news to me as housing is one of my favourite MMO features and yet it has been entirely discarded by recent developers. For a lot of people this is telling them that SE is trying to develop more of a virtual world and less of a solo-friendly multiplayer arcade game that the rest of the genre seems to be becoming... at the least it shows that SE is not following the pack and trying to do their own thing.