Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is BOP (Bind of Pickup) a mistake?

pencilrickpencilrick Member Posts: 1,550

I notice that at max level (80), the better gear to be had is BOP (Bind on pickup) stuff that drops in instances.  Going to the Auction House with your level 80 toon for anything other than crafting materials is generally next to useless.  So gone are the days when you might log in just to see what's selling in the AH.

I think BOP is the culprit and wonder if it detracts more than it adds.  Maybe the dev's should just allow folks to loot and sell that stuff.

Thoughts?

Comments

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

I do not think you understand binding mechanics...

It somewhat supplements item loss.

• unholyfreakunholyfreak Member Posts: 26

It wouldn't work with how bad RMT is nowadays.

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

If everything was BOE I imagine that gold sellers and spammers would be even a worse situation than it is now. The only way to remove that would be to make the game a lot less gear dependent.

• DreathorDreathor Member Posts: 537

There are plenty of crafted and raid-drop BoEs you can buy on the AH if you so desire. The entry-level epic BoEs are very cheap nowadays as well.

"If all you can say is... "It's awful, it's not innovative, it's ugly, it's blah.." Then you're an unimaginative and unpolished excuse for human life" -eburn

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

As others have said, BOP was in response to gold selling and really discourages people from buying gold to try and gear up.

The unfortunate side effect is that it removes some of the economic side of a game, but not a bad solution, particularly in a gear centric game like WOW.

Think about it.... run endless raid instances to gear up, or pay 100 bucks for gold to buy it all?  For many people, the choice would be the latter.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DevilXaphanDevilXaphan Member UncommonPosts: 1,144

They went BoP because of the RMT that was running rampent early on in vanillia WoW.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

the reason behind BoP is so you can't just buy ingame gold and get all the best gear aveilable. you actually have to complete the challage/boss and get lucky on the drops. you actually have to play the game (and be somewhat good at it) in order to get the best gear.

having all BoE (bind on equip) items would make it possible to buy your way to the top gear if  you have enough gold. this would create increadible numbers of gold farmers and gear farmers as bots and would completely destroy economy and just the game in general. look no further than Aion as an example of this.

• pencilrickpencilrick Member Posts: 1,550

Originally posted by Gdemami

I do not think you understand binding mechanics...

It somewhat supplements item loss.

Talking BOP (Bind on Pickup), not BOE (Bind on Equip).  I fully understand binding mechanics; been playing WOW since Open Beta.

Originally posted by Jakdstripper

the reason behind BoP is so you can't just buy ingame gold and get all the best gear aveilable. you actually have to complete the challage/boss and get lucky on the drops. you actually have to play the game (and be somewhat good at it) in order to get the best gear.

having all BoE (bind on equip) items would make it possible to buy your way to the top gear if  you have enough gold. this would create increadible numbers of gold farmers and gear farmers as bots and would completely destroy economy and just the game in general. look no further than Aion as an example of this.

Makes sense.  The Gold Spammers and BOTS have really harmed MMO's.

Originally posted by pencilrick
    Talking BOP (Bind on Pickup), not BOE (Bind on Equip).  I fully understand binding mechanics; been playing WOW since Open Beta.

BOP or BOE makes no difference...

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Originally posted by Jakdstripper

Its a good, and imo, effective game mechanic, it means that RMT'ers are at a loss, anybody just buying their gear with gold just can't compete with the ones that dont, the decent stuff just can't be traded, its loot drops or only purchaseable with emblems, which can't be bought with gold. Fact is, the only stuff you can buy on the AH, won't give you a good enough gear score that anyone would want you in their raid group. Think about the only thing gold is really good for these days, is buying riding skills and crafting materials, though with the amount of cash you get just playing anyway, you'd have to be pretty lazy to need to use an RMT trader.. or to put it another way, RMT'ers just got NERFED!image

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Originally posted by pencilrick

BOP or BOE makes no difference...

BOP cant be traded, BOE can, hence, anything worth having, is BOP, its a kick to the nether regions for the shadier elements of Online Gaming.. 

Originally posted by Phry
    BOP cant be traded, BOE can, hence, anything worth having, is BOP, its a kick to the nether regions for the shadier elements of Online Gaming.. 

It does not really matter.

Binding as such is to prevent the game being flooded with items making the item chase itself pointless.

• TaoMcDohlTaoMcDohl Member UncommonPosts: 103

Removing BOP would open the flood gates even further for gold sellers.

Originally posted by TaoMcDohl

There would be no gold sellers because the gold would be worthless...

Or super inflated like it was in Aion. Gold sellers would corner the market on a lot of items in that game. That's potentially what you would see if every item was boe.

Originally posted by arenasb
     Or super inflated like it was in Aion. Gold sellers would corner the market on a lot of items in that game. That's potentially what you would see if every item was boe.

No it would not be inflated because of the high supply...

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

It would make ninja looting go up by 1000000000% more then what it is now yeah nice idea....

• TaoMcDohlTaoMcDohl Member UncommonPosts: 103

Are you kidding?  Gold sellers and farmers will grind epics and gold over and over. They'll cake the auction house with the items, and they'll sell the gold to you so you can then buy their gear.  As said, they'll corner the market and trivialize the entire gear system.  Spend $50 and strut around in tier 10 gear.  Another $50 and you have some top PVP gear.  

• Noraa3903Noraa3903 Member Posts: 30

Sigh it blows my mind the threads that pop up especially when it comes to this game.  BoP is for countering RMT but its not just that.  There were no trade items in EQ long long ago before this game was even a thought.  And it wasnt just for RMT but for the people who have the best to have actually acquired it the real way.  So the whole concept of BoP was around long before this game even exisisted.  If everything was tradeable 90% of the community for these games wouldnt even experience the content get bored and cancel their accounts so quickly it would be retarded.  All your most valuable items in games are this way so that there is no real work around to get them.  Some people like the feeling of accomplishment which based off this post I can tell has long since been gone on the community of this game

Are you kidding?

No, I am not kidding. That is how economy actually works.

• The OP is way exaggerated, and misrepresented.

There are 2 forms of BoPs.  One form is BoP from killing bosses.  The other form is BoPs from quests, and from badges.  The former you ge strictly from raiding bosses, the later you slowly collect, doing just about anything in the game, well sorta, from dailies to weekly to easy "raids" that are almost impossible to fail even with PUGs, if you try hard enough.

Crafting provides the third source of gear.  Those who said that crafted gears are bad, are once again exaggerated and oversimplifed.  In terms of item level, crafted levels are always on par with the non heroic 25man drops.  So currently the non heroic icc drops ilvl 264 gear, which is what crafting items are.  Of course the heroic encounters drops something bigger, that is not surprising.

BoE random drops supplements the sources.  Yes some drops are BoE, and some are really good.  Stop preaching the wrong idea that everything that drops are BoPs.

Basically, what it means is, whatever you do, you have a shot at some kind of gear, good gear, gear ilvl 264 as at today.  That is what Blizz is doing.  Everyone, every playstyle gives you a shot at something.  No one is penalised and discriminated.  This also means you can mix and match gear from different sources and minimax.

Apart from gear level, one needs to look at the actual itemisation of items.  As it turns out, crafted gear usually have more gem slots, same for items purchased with emblems.  Chestpieces always have 3, that is generally better than dropped chest (2 gems usually).  Those who try to say tha crafted items are crappy, are simply wrong.  I can easily name a few crafted pieces that are reasonably BiS till you get to heroic icc.  The shaman caster boots is one.  It is BiS for shamans (arguable) and for holy paly (my view).  The bejewelled cloth bracer (only ilvl245) is still very good when compared with most cloth bracers from icc.

The BoE drops from icc are sometimes very attractive too.  The neck drop with agility, is still among the best neckpiece for many classes, from hunters to rogues and even dps plate wearers.

So says who BoP are universally superior to BoEs?

Look back at the argument of the OP, what does he try to say?  He is saying BoP are the best, this i already rejected.  The other argument he put up is, AH sells crap, that I again rejected.  Crafted gears and BoE drops from icc, are competitive and sometimes superior, depending on your gearing plans.  Of course, if you are hit capped, any gear with hit is not optimal, BoE or BoP.

His last argument is AH is deserted, nobody logs on to check it.  This can hardly be further from the truth.  Given the short duration of auctions (max 2 days), the fact that the number of items in AH are always numerous, the fact that good gear sells for 10+k gold, how can the OP draw any conclusion suggesting the AH is unused.

As already pointed out, BoE or tradeables encourages RMT.  BoE also encourage a solid economy ingame.  We need a balance, and WoW is providing that kind of balance.

No it would not be inflated because of the high supply...

And the economy would be ruined by it.

And the economy would be ruined by it.

Pretty much.

High supply would devaluate the currency by pushing the prices ridiculously low making gold selling pointless.

BOP is just a harsher form of 'item faucet' as BOE is but they work the same in principle.

I get the point about RMT and gold sellers, I guess what I was really saying with this thread is that the thrill of logging in to check the Auction House is sort of gone.  No doubt due to BOP implemented because of gold sellers.

Early WOW, I used to log in all the time to see what new cool items were in AH.  Not anymore, at least not at level 80.