Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What Microphone/Headset is the best to buy?

RudyRaccoonRudyRaccoon Member UncommonPosts: 475

Hi, I'm thinking of wanting a new Microphone or Headset, I currently have a cheap Logitech Headset and I don't like it because it's too small for my head and no sound comes out of the ear muffs yet you can still speak though it so I'm thinking of replacing it with something better.

Well I want a new one for 2 reasons, for voice chatting while gaming and I also want to use it for a planned Let's play video of whatever sort of game on Youtube.

So what could you recommend me folks, I want one that's easy to use, voice quality being high and personally one that don't make your ears go hot (That's if I want a Headset, not sure if normal microphone is the way to go?). =p

Comments

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

I still use my old sennheiser 350's, had them about 3 or more years I think. The 360's have just been released recently I think, but from my experience I would deffinately recommend them. I think my next purchase will likely be sennheiser again, I like the build and reliability.

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

• RudyRaccoonRudyRaccoon Member UncommonPosts: 475

Originally posted by mrw0lf

I still use my old sennheiser 350's, had them about 3 or more years I think. The 360's have just been released recently I think, but from my experience I would deffinately recommend them. I think my next purchase will likely be sennheiser again, I like the build and reliability.

Wow, now these cost a lot of money, the lowest I can get the 360 one is £154.89, you can tell these are not cheap headsets. =o

Well it's my money and I can buy whatever I want, I just recently bought the Razor Naga mouse since learning about it here on the same website [link] and it's awesome. After all, your getting your moneys worth if you buy something that costs more money and is far better then something that's cheap, so I think I'll get the Sennheiser 360 headset then, they look pretty good.

Thanks for the information. =)

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

[quote]Originally posted by RudyRaccoon
    [b]

Originally posted by mrw0lf

Wow, now these cost a lot of money, the lowest I can get the 360 one is £154.89, you can tell these are not cheap headsets. =o
    Well it's my money and I can buy whatever I want, I just recently bought the Razor Naga mouse since learning about it here on the same website [url=http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/loadFeature/4195][link][/url] and it's awesome. After all, your getting your moneys worth if you buy something that costs more money and is far better then something that's cheap, so I think I'll get the Sennheiser 360 headset then, they look pretty good.
    Thanks for the information. =)
    [/b][/quote]

I have RUDE-100 Primal PC Gaming Headset I love the sound and the mic comes off which is a nice feature. around $40.

I have a lot of Sennheiser (not gaming - prof. music recording) products so I'm sure those are great too.

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

I dare say there will be a fair few other sets that would be more economical and give more 'bang for your buck', but I ended up getting my 350's after spending at least the same amount on 2 or 3 other pairs in a short space of time and wanted something I hoped would last longer than a few months. I don't think I'm very gentle with my keyboards or headsets.

If you think you are pretty careful with your gear and take good care of them I guess it would be possible to go for a cheaper set with just as good a performance.  Maybe go to the local shops if you have one with a good selection on display that you can try out. Then go home, get on the net and pay half the price image.

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,344

I got a pair of Audiotechnica AD-700.  They look good, and are comfortable for a while and auto-adjust to fit peoples head.  The thing I liked most about these is the ear piece is huge and easily covers my ear. 

One thing to understand about any headphone that doesn't cost alot is they will become uncomfortable.  The reason for this is that foam degrades.  Its plastic with air injected into it, and through use the walls of the air pockets degrade.  A firm foam is uncomfortable but it will last a while.  A soft foam feels nice but will degrade in short time.  The way around this is to use a firm foam and line it with cotton.  This will give you a long lasting comfortable fit.  However its also expensive to do.

I use a logitech push to talk mic.

• vladakovvladakov Member Posts: 710

I got a Sennheiser, dunno more,  but i do know its German ^^

just buy a German mic/headset,  always works good LOL :P

• VooDoo_PapaVooDoo_Papa Member UncommonPosts: 897

Turtle Beach makes nice affordable headsets.  If you dont mind larger sets, they make a very nice surround sound gaming headset (earforce HPA2) with a detatchable mic (I happen to own one, the audio is excellent)

aside from that, turtle beach also makes a standard gaming headset which is lower profile minus the surround (earforce Z1) and is much cheaper.  Id highly recommend turtle beach over say.. logitech and even razer

• VooDoo_PapaVooDoo_Papa Member UncommonPosts: 897

Originally posted by madmagic27

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Tritton+Technologies+-+Stereo+Gaming+Headset+for+Xbox+360,+PS3,+Wii+and+Mac/Windows/9466133.p?id=1218109499568&skuId=9466133&st=tritton&contract_desc=null

I use this. got mine for 60 and it works for 360, pc, mac , ps3

I own a Tritton (not that version, I believe the model is ax720) for my xbox.  Totally forgot about them, but the headset is incredible.  It has your digital optical inputs and a built in Dolby digital decoder.  Ya, if you have an optical output on your soundcard those are going to sound incredible. 

• ReaperUkReaperUk Member UncommonPosts: 741

I had been using a Creative Fatality headset attached to the audio out port of my Creative X-Fi gamer sound card for some time but found having a cable hanging down over my shoulder to be quite irritating. I decided to seek out a wireless headset to solve the problem.

The one I settled on is the Maxell MXL-1191 Digital Wireless Headset & Microphone, which I bought from www.play.com for around 50 UKP.

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/9100917/Maxell-MXL-1191-Digital-Wireless-Headset-Microphone/Product.html

It has a built in lithium, rechargeable battery so can be left attached to a USB port when not in use to keep the battery fully charged. In use, it's simply a case of unplug them from the docking connector, press the button on the side to switch them on and away you go. The microphone boom is hinged so is swung up out of the way when not in use. The hinge also acts as a switch for the mic so that it is on when down and off when swung up.

I'm very pleased with it. I've been using it for several months now, mainly with LotRO and it works perfectly. I would never go back to using one with a cable now.

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

For a lower cost but quality headset try the Creative HS800 Fatal1ty Gaming Headset I have one myself and since my keyboard has mic and earphone jacks the leads never get in the way. I have rairly larger ears but it covers tham and doesn't cause me any discomfort over long hours of gaming. The sound quality is good and I think it's great value for money.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis