Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will Red Dead Redemption be considered Game of the year?

Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

Or will another game top it?

I have a feeling Fallout: New Vegas may take it.

Its starting to look fantastic.

Also Alpha protocol is looking awesome too.

What do you guys think?

image

Playing: Rift, LotRO
Waiting on: GW2, BP

«1

Comments

  • ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

    So far RDR looks to be GOTY but we'll see how Fallout: New Vegas and Brink do. Looking forward to playing Fallout New Vegas myself.

    30
  • Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

    I totally forgot about brink.

    I just read up on ID softwares next game RAGE. looks to be a free roam fps and Sega's Vanquish.

    There also maybe a Castlevania this year. 2010 is shaping up to be a wonderful year in Sp gaming.

    image

    Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

  • MelonCrazyMelonCrazy Member Posts: 55

    Originally posted by Rockgod99

    Or will another game top it?

    I have a feeling Fallout: New Vegas may take it.

    Its starting to look fantastic.

    Also Alpha protocol is looking awesome too.

    What do you guys think?

    Game of the year awards are usually split up into genres, for this game yes I can see it winning as the action game of the year award, I also see Fallout New Vegas as the RPG game of the year also, there is many good games coming out this year.

    My list:

    Fallout New Vegas (will buy)

    Red Dead Redemption (released and own)

    Fable III (will buy)

    Aliens: Colonial Marines (will buy)

    Star Wars The Force Unleashed II (will buy)

    Lost Planet II (released and own)

    Dead Rising II (will buy)

    Lots of potential gaming goodness right there, oh and I forgot The Witcher II, and L.A. Noir

  • SabbathSMCSabbathSMC Member Posts: 226

    Well i have not played it much,i'm having a hard time kicking my son off the ps3. but i have watched him play for hours. I would be very suprised if anything tops this for action game of the year.

    PS.. i just hooked it up to HDMI today.. WOW what a difference it made in the graphics.

    played M59,UO,lineage,EQ,Daoc,Entropia,SWG,Horizons,Lineage2.EQ2,Vangaurd,Irth online, DarkFall,Star Trek
    and many others that did not make the cut or i just plain forgetting about.

  • Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

    Originally posted by SabbathSMC

    Well i have not played it much,i'm having a hard time kicking my son off the ps3. but i have watched him play for hours. I would be very suprised if anything tops this for action game of the year.

    PS.. i just hooked it up to HDMI today.. WOW what a difference it made in the graphics.

    LOL I knew I made the right decision by buying my son his own consoles.

    To the poster above this one, You're right games are usually split up into genres but there's also a game of the year award given.

    For 09 Uncharted 2 won overall and in 08 it was Fallout 3.

    image

    Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

  • TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

    I'm about 12 hours into the game and I am loving it.  This game has my vote for Game of the Year without question.  It's by far my favorite game this year and even beats out GTA 4 in my opinion which lost some of the fun factor of previous GTA games. 

     

  • kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

    Based on what's been released so far, yeah its the best yet. Theres a couple that still have a chance of toppling it, but we won't know until they actually launch. Those few hopeful games sure have their work cut out for them though.

  • Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

    A few "rebel" review sites that are known to go against the grain have rated RDR a 8. pulling it below Mass Effect2 on Metacritic and gamerankings (god i hate those sites) for top rated in 2010.

    It may sway votes.

    image

    Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

  • bezadobezado Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

    What about super mario galaxy 2?  I bet that makes the top 3 at least, it seems it could win based on preliminary views. RDR looks like a solid winner for action of the year.

  • Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

    Originally posted by bezado

    What about super mario galaxy 2?  I bet that makes the top 3 at least, it seems it could win based on preliminary views. RDR looks like a solid winner for action of the year.

    Dude thats how much I consider the Wii to be a real game platform.

    Mario Galaxy 2 is at a 97 on metacritic and I didnt even notice it.

    God... How far Nintendo has fallen in the eyes of the average gamer.

    image

    Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

  • bezadobezado Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

    Originally posted by Rockgod99

    Originally posted by bezado

    What about super mario galaxy 2?  I bet that makes the top 3 at least, it seems it could win based on preliminary views. RDR looks like a solid winner for action of the year.

    Dude thats how much I consider the Wii to be a real game platform.

    Mario Galaxy 2 is at a 97 on metacritic and I didnt even notice it.

    God... How far Nintendo has fallen in the eyes of the average gamer.

    Yeah haha, shows 98 now.  But they said this was the best mario since the famous N64 mario which I loved and still play once in awhile.

  • Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

    Originally posted by bezado

    Originally posted by Rockgod99


    Originally posted by bezado

    What about super mario galaxy 2?  I bet that makes the top 3 at least, it seems it could win based on preliminary views. RDR looks like a solid winner for action of the year.

    Dude thats how much I consider the Wii to be a real game platform.

    Mario Galaxy 2 is at a 97 on metacritic and I didnt even notice it.

    God... How far Nintendo has fallen in the eyes of the average gamer.

    Yeah haha, shows 98 now.  But they said this was the best mario since the famous N64 mario which I loved and still play once in awhile.

    LOL watch Mario Galaxy 2 win Goty.

     

    Edit: I was way off anyway. I honestly thought either Alan Wake or Heavy Rain were going to get goty both games are very good just not goty quality. I lost already lol

    image

    Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

  • KryptyKrypty Member UncommonPosts: 454

    RDR set the bar really, really high. I have been hoping for a game that could take me away from MMO's for awhile, and this game is just amazing. I will also say there is a LOT here that MMo developers should learn from. It's kind of pathetic that myself and most of my friends who are typically MMO addicts find this more fun than any MMO currently out/supported.

     

    I hope they keep adding content (from my understanding the free PS3 MP missions are just the beginning) and I will gladly pay $10-15-whatever for anything they release. This game ROCKS. 1000x better than GTA4.

  • dreldrel Member Posts: 918

    I don't know about game of the year, but the game certainly ranks up there! One of the BEST games I've played in a long time! MMO's could be developed along this type of game.

    If you haven't tried this game, I highly recommend it!

  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,403

    This will most likely be the year of ZeniMax.  They are publishing Brink (Bethesda), Rage (Id), and Fallout: New Vegas(Obsidian).  They have lined up the best PC developers to release new IPs in a short time frame.  PC games have always been on a different level then consoles due to the more scrutinizing audience.  Red Dead Redemption is a good twist on Wild West games published by a studio in the west.  However, it also just follows the standard GTA game formula.

  • madlukemadluke Member UncommonPosts: 108

    Well my most anticipated game is Crackdown 2, but i don't see that winning as many awards as RDR.

  • Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

    Originally posted by madluke

    Well my most anticipated game is Crackdown 2, but i don't see that winning as many awards as RDR.

    Dude I still play Crackdown 1 weekly. I love that freaking game.

    To the other poster talking of Zenimax. Im kinda worried a bunch of their games are going to be sub par. Both WET and Rogue Warrior were pathetic.

    I know Bethesda didnt actually work on those games but it shows that their willing to let sub-par titles release. They dont have the same type of quality control that they do with those games like they do with Bethesda created titles.

    I have a feeling the next really awesome Bethesda created title will be the next Elder Scrolls game (in 2011-2012).

    image

    Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,403

    Thats why I listed the developers along with the publisher.

  • SenadinaSenadina Member UncommonPosts: 896

    Too early to tell. Too many more good games slated for release.  Alpha Protocol, Fallout: New Vegas, and L.A. Noire look amazing too to me.

    image
  • Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

    Originally posted by Senadina

    Too early to tell. Too many more good games slated for release.  Alpha Protocol, Fallout: New Vegas, and L.A. Noire look amazing too to me.

    So many promising games.

    I swear im like two years behind right now.

    It's come to the point of me just getting games to get games.

    Imagine if the mmo genre was like this? 15-20 awesome games a year? I would be fucking homeless lol.

    image

    Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

  • Cactus-ManCactus-Man Member Posts: 572

    RDR will probably end up as my game of the year at least.  I have played for 8 hours, and am starting to lose interest, but it did keep me entertained for a week so that is a feat.

    I don't see any game out now or supose to come out this year that seems interesting, so unless there is a another game better than RDR, which seems unlikely, then my vote goes to RDR.

    All men think they're fascinating. In my case, it's justified

  • Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

    Originally posted by Cactus-Man

    RDR will probably end up as my game of the year at least.  I have played for 8 hours, and am starting to lose interest, but it did keep me entertained for a week so that is a feat.

    I don't see any game out now or supose to come out this year that seems interesting, so unless there is a another game better than RDR, which seems unlikely, then my vote goes to RDR.

    I could understand that I honestly can't play any game straight through (without taking breaks with another game).

    Ill sit down play a game a few hours one weekend then not touch it for a month.

    I've been like this forever though. I can see myself playing RDR for a couple years on and off.

    Shit... I still play GTA4, Oblivion and FO3 like they just released.

    image

    Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

  • GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

    Originally posted by Cleffy

    This will most likely be the year of ZeniMax.  They are publishing Brink (Bethesda), Rage (Id), and Fallout: New Vegas(Obsidian).  They have lined up the best PC developers to release new IPs in a short time frame.  PC games have always been on a different level then consoles due to the more scrutinizing audience.  Red Dead Redemption is a good twist on Wild West games published by a studio in the west.  However, it also just follows the standard GTA game formula.

    This is true, PC games have always been a level below console games as far as quality is concerned.

    It seems that GOTY will go to Super Mario Galaxy 2, and rightly so.

  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,403

    You haven't missed much in the last couple years.  Probably the recent Bioware titles, but thats it.

    PC games have always had to do more then consoles.  Linearity and short gameplay are 2 things that go hand in hand with consoles.  In the realm of shooters, there aren't any console games that have beaten the quality of Valve.  The only thing missing in PC is Japanese RPGs, but with the sinking popularity of the Playstation brand; Japanese developers are experimenting in different markets.

  • GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

    Originally posted by Cleffy

    You haven't missed much in the last couple years.  Probably the recent Bioware titles, but thats it.

    PC games have always had to do more then consoles.  Linearity and short gameplay are 2 things that go hand in hand with consoles.  In the realm of shooters, there aren't any console games that have beaten the quality of Valve.  The only thing missing in PC is Japanese RPGs, but with the sinking popularity of the Playstation brand; Japanese developers are experimenting in different markets.

     A linear design is not inferior to an open ended design. The reason why PC games are longer is due to the nature of the genres that are popular on the PC. A genre like an RTS can have a lot of gameplay length with less content. A match on a map can easily last up to 30 minutes to an hour. Sometimes even more. RPGs have a lot of content, but so had the ones on consoles.

    The average shooter on PC isn't longer than the average shooter on console.

    I very much disagree that any console shooter hasn't beaten the quality of Valve. I think their games are good, but I don't really see what seperates a game like Half Life 2 from the rest of the shooters. It had a really great storyline and a good length, but the gameplay was fairly typical of a shooter and in some aspects perhaps even outdated.

    There are some more genres that the PC is missing. The fighting and platform genre aren't really present on the PC. Third person shooters are also somewhat lacking when compared to consoles

Sign In or Register to comment.