Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

State of the game May 21

13»

Comments

• DinendaeDinendae Member Posts: 1,264

Originally posted by saxifr

Originally posted by Nesrie

Originally posted by Dinendae

Fed vs. Fed PvP

So do they have a in game reason for this?. I am just curious if there is some story behind this the Fed fighting each other or maybe it's just another desperate attempt to pad the game?

Before closed beta began, they were talking about 'war games' for the Federation. This is just probably that mechanic finally being implemented, though don't expect much in the way of a storyline explanation if the Klingon House vs. House PvP missions are any indicator.

Thanks. I haven't played since beta. I wasn't happy about the way they divided the races to team a and b and then said fight! War games are at least a believable if somewhat weak explanation... in terms of story. I wasn't referring to game mechanics so much as game universe.

Even with the Dominion war in Deep Space Nine, there was still a sense of exploration and newness about the enemy, and there were stories of individual redemption like with Damar.

None of that in this game, it's all shoot on sight.

The sad thing is that there were hints that Cryptic could do decent story-based missions that didn't have to include combat; an example that springs to mind was the Celes System/Starbase 116 (?) mission where the Starfleet officer was sabotaging things to help pay off a relative's debt to the Orions. I was very happy when I saw that mission get reworked during beta into the far better version, and I had hopes that a lot of the other missions would receive the same treatment. Unfortunately, that mission's reworking seems to have been the exception rather than the rule.

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

• DoomsDay01DoomsDay01 Member UncommonPosts: 783

Originally posted by saxifr

Fed vs. Fed PvP

So do they have a in game reason for this?. I am just curious if there is some story behind this the Fed fighting each other or maybe it's just another desperate attempt to pad the game?

Before closed beta began, they were talking about 'war games' for the Federation. This is just probably that mechanic finally being implemented, though don't expect much in the way of a storyline explanation if the Klingon House vs. House PvP missions are any indicator.

Thanks. I haven't played since beta. I wasn't happy about the way they divided the races to team a and b and then said fight! War games are at least a believable if somewhat weak explanation... in terms of story. I wasn't referring to game mechanics so much as game universe.

Even with the Dominion war in Deep Space Nine, there was still a sense of exploration and newness about the enemy, and there were stories of individual redemption like with Damar.

None of that in this game, it's all shoot on sight.

The sad thing is that there were hints that Cryptic could do decent story-based missions that didn't have to include combat; an example that springs to mind was the Celes System/Starbase 116 (?) mission where the Starfleet officer was sabotaging things to help pay off a relative's debt to the Orions. I was very happy when I saw that mission get reworked during beta into the far better version, and I had hopes that a lot of the other missions would receive the same treatment. Unfortunately, that mission's reworking seems to have been the exception rather than the rule.

Well they have been making a big deal about them putting in more diplomatic missions. So I think we will be seeing more missions like that.

• DinendaeDinendae Member Posts: 1,264

Originally posted by DoomsDay01

Well they have been making a big deal about them putting in more diplomatic missions. So I think we will be seeing more missions like that.

Normally when a developer tells me something like this, I am willing to believe them. Cryptic however is another story; they tend to drop the ball too much, so I take a "show me, don't tell me" attitude to any statements they make. Additionally having seen their attempt at a diplomacy mission (the miner strike 'pop quiz' one), and their idea of exploration missions, I am not holding out hope that the diplomacy missions will be good.

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan