Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

State of the game May 21

Comments

• exwinexwin Member Posts: 221

Originally posted by Cohas

i don't think it will cost anything in the c-store

Oh Cohas, sweet nieve Cohas. I don't think it will cost anything in the C-store, may be the funniest thing I've heard all day.

Missed one thing I was looking for in the notes, Cryptic sold Star Trek to (insert whoever developer here)

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521

Originally posted by exwin

Oh Cohas, sweet nieve Cohas. I don't think it will cost anything in the C-store, may be the funniest thing I've heard all day.

Missed one thing I was looking for in the notes, Cryptic sold Star Trek to (insert whoever developer here)

It won't be C-store stuff. 

Originally posted by Draemos

Respec

Civilian Clothing options (will abridge as cosmetic upgrades)

MkX Equip Stores

"More costume pieces and playable species"

please excuse my scepticism, but doesn't quite sound out of line given past trends.

http://www.startrekonline.com/store

• SpiderpopeSpiderpope Member Posts: 69

Thats what people said about the super amazing Season 1 update and look how that turned out. Forgive me if i appear sceptical about claims that everything will be free.

Your friendly neighbourhood Spider-pope.

• Maverz290Maverz290 Member Posts: 447

Respec

MkX Equip Stores

please excuse my scepticism, but doesn't quite sound out of line given past trends.

Respec costs twenty thousand starfleet merits. It is avaliblr in c store but it's not hard to get in game. Unless your really lazy.
    Civillian clothing options are free...
    Mark ten equpment is gotten through the Borg space content from U.S.S. Victory. No not your daily stuff, I mean the explore the b'tran cluster which gives you mark five exploration marks to spend there. That is mark X equipment. Got purple phasers from there.
    Yes more costume pieces have been added. Mainly body items like hair but still, none of that cost
    me a single c store point.

Extra bridge options and ship parts cost c store points. Bar a few exceptions... That's it.

Longing for Skyrim, The Old Republic and Mass Effect 3

Originally posted by Maverz290

Respec

MkX Equip Stores

Respec costs twenty thousand starfleet merits. It is avaliblr in c store but it's not hard to get in game. Unless your really lazy. Civillian clothing options are free... Mark ten equpment is gotten through the Borg space content from U.S.S. Victory. No not your daily stuff, I mean the explore the b'tran cluster which gives you mark five exploration marks to spend there. That is mark X equipment. Got purple phasers from there. Yes more costume pieces have been added. Mainly body items like hair but still, none of that cost me a single c store point. Extra bridge options and ship parts cost c store points. Bar a few exceptions... That's it.

You sir are 100% right, you can grind out 2 missions for your purple con gear, on the Victory. Which is totally worth your 15 bucks a month or 250 lifetime, or 150 ebay, or less these days, as people are jumping star-ship as quick as they can.

My info is dated on respec as when I quit STO, the only respec option was C-store or roll new char as the game sucked to much to go that route,so yeah. Cheers mate, enjoy your 2 missions, you blow up those borg and explore that same crowded, or less so these days I imagine, system until your hearts content... That's it

Originally posted by Maverz290

Respec

MkX Equip Stores

Respec costs twenty thousand starfleet merits. It is avaliblr in c store but it's not hard to get in game. Unless your really lazy. Civillian clothing options are free... Mark ten equpment is gotten through the Borg space content from U.S.S. Victory. No not your daily stuff, I mean the explore the b'tran cluster which gives you mark five exploration marks to spend there. That is mark X equipment. Got purple phasers from there. Yes more costume pieces have been added. Mainly body items like hair but still, none of that cost me a single c store point. Extra bridge options and ship parts cost c store points. Bar a few exceptions... That's it.

You sir are 100% right, you can grind out 2 missions for your purple con gear, on the Victory. Which is totally worth your 15 bucks a month or 250 lifetime, or 150 ebay, or less these days, as people are jumping star-ship as quick as they can.

My info is dated on respec as when I quit STO, the only respec option was C-store or roll new char as the game sucked to much to go that route,so yeah. Cheers mate, enjoy your 2 missions, you blow up those borg and explore that same crowded, or less so these days I imagine, system until your hearts content... That's it

God no I wouldn't buy a lifetime. Thats like giving a ring to a girl you just met. Short sighted, and foolish. No matter how attractive they may appear at first.

Actually as soon as Respec came in, that option was always avaliable, they just did a poor job of making that clear. Con gear? A twenty five minute mission trilogy for an elite level weapon isn't much of a bad deal, especially when the timer cooldown before you can retake it is only thirty minutes.

For the record I'm rarely in Borg space. I prefer the PvP, helping fleet members with their episodic content on advanced and elite. Quite fun, but thats because I'm with a group of friends whom are star trek fans like myself and we have our fun. If you were alone however....give this game ten months before trying.

Also I believe you stated some information about C Store content, I was merely providing information. No need to get edgey over it. (I'm referring to the 'thats it', unless thats just pure fluke.)

Good analogy on the lifetime. STO is my filthy wench, yes, I do not have a lifetime, but I did give the pritty barmaid my 50 bucks... which isn't exactly a ring, it's at least a go in the back of the car...

My grudge runs deep, as is apperent, and I'm sure as does alot of people's. Even just thinking of what Cryptic did TO this game makes me sick. I LOVE Star Trek. I watched OTS, I participated in OTS v. TNG debates. I wanted to like this game very much.

When you think of what makes Star Trek great, you think of :

humanitarianism/diplomacy (and I know that has been brought up ad nausium, but state of the game May 21, is it still lacking?)

exploration, to boldly go where no man/woman has gone before (or 30 or 40 times to get the neat gun)

problem solving - every episode, like on the promoes promised sto would be like, the crew would face a problem that would challenge them mentally, physically, ethically

Am I wrong about the whole Star Trek experience?

STO, like the filty barmaid, kinda just makes me feel, cheated, dirty, and wondering where my wallet went.

Whether or not you like this game is independant of the C-store selling content, which it doesn't.  Don't trudge through the gutter.

Thats what people said about the super amazing Season 1 update and look how that turned out. Forgive me if i appear sceptical about claims that everything will be free.

The only parts of season 1 that ended up in the C-store where fluff visual additions and basic services (ie renames).  Not really sure how they correlates with in-game content.

• SpiderpopeSpiderpope Member Posts: 69

The only parts of season 1 that ended up in the C-store where fluff visual additions and basic services (ie renames).  Not really sure how they correlates with in-game content.

The issue is Draemos, instead of fixing problems present in the game since launch they instead dedicated development time to churning out microtransaction fluff. Why should anyone have faith that the season 2 update will majorly improve anything, when chances are it will be a handful of worthwhile additions and a fethload of new crap for the C-Store.

Your friendly neighbourhood Spider-pope.

• GaldereGaldere Member Posts: 27

New species with unique traits are not fluff additions.

They are insulting subscribers by expecting extra for new ships even. The referral ship has a different ability. How long before those sort of changes end up on the C-Store?

• choujiofkonochoujiofkono Member Posts: 852

Lord have mercy kill it now and put it out of its misery.

"I'm not cheap I'm incredibly subconsciously financially optimized"
    "The worst part of censorship is ------------------"

• DoomsDay01DoomsDay01 Member UncommonPosts: 783

Originally posted by Spiderpope

The issue is Draemos, instead of fixing problems present in the game since launch they instead dedicated development time to churning out microtransaction fluff. Why should anyone have faith that the season 2 update will majorly improve anything, when chances are it will be a handful of worthwhile additions and a fethload of new crap for the C-Store.

I want you to think about that statement for a minute.

There are different departments in every company. They all dont work on the same thing. For instance, Your power goes out and you call your electric company. Are you going to blame the IT folks for not being out there getting your power restored? They have nothing to do with the power lines that went down, so why would you? Just like cryptic, departments have their own thing they do. Not everyone working there is going to be working on the same thing. Man you guys really have got to stop all this hate.

Originally posted by DoomsDay01

I want you to think about that statement for a minute.

There are different departments in every company. They all dont work on the same thing. For instance, Your power goes out and you call your electric company. Are you going to blame the IT folks for not being out there getting your power restored? They have nothing to do with the power lines that went down, so why would you? Just like cryptic, departments have their own thing they do. Not everyone working there is going to be working on the same thing. Man you guys really have got to stop all this hate.

Nothing wrong with patting the art team on the back for a job well done on environments and ship designs. *At least on high graphics*.

The music is spot on aswell, sound effects included.

Thats all I have to say though.

No, they really didn't.  The artists they use to develop C-store stuff are only on the payroll because of C-store profits.  A lack of artists aren't holding up development on actual gameplay content.  Those people are programmers and content designers.  The C-store in no way what-so-ever effects the development cycle of the rest of the game. 

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

I guess nobody is upset by the fact that Cryptic is charging with Microtransactions on top of a Subscription-based game?

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• DinendaeDinendae Member Posts: 1,264

Originally posted by Warmaker

I guess nobody is upset by the fact that Cryptic is charging with Microtransactions on top of a Subscription-based game?

I think more people would be ok with it if Cryptic had more content in their games, say closer to the amount of content found in major MMOs at release. It also would have been better if they kept the original promise of having nothing in the cash shop that couldn't be obtained in the game.

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,534

People were very upset about this when CO was about to launch but unfortunately enough people went with it and now look where we are at, history repeating itself in STO and guess what.. Some people still put up with it.

Same thing will happen with Cryptic's new MMO - CO & STO won't change much if at all, the new MMO will come out and the same thing will begin again.

1) New method of getting lifetime subscribers.
    2) False Promises & 'Glimpses of Hope'.
    3) ????
    4) PROFIT!

• NesrieNesrie Member Posts: 648

Fed vs. Fed PvP

So do they have a in game reason for this?. I am just curious if there is some story behind this the Fed fighting each other or maybe it's just another desperate attempt to pad the game?

parrotpholk-Because we all know the miracle patch fairy shows up the night before release and sprinkles magic dust on the server to make it allllll better.

Originally posted by Dinendae

I think more people would be ok with it if Cryptic had more content in their games, say closer to the amount of content found in major MMOs at release. It also would have been better if they kept the original promise of having nothing in the cash shop that couldn't be obtained in the game.

I dont think that really has much to do with it. I think it is a very touchy subject and there are people on both sides of the fence about it. There are people that simply will not play a game with micro transactions built into an already sub based game. There are others that dont mind it because there is never anything in these "stores" that are game breaking or MUST have. The only people that I see upset about it are people who feel that because they have a sub, all content should be made free of charge. There are many people who get upset because they have to buy expansion packs because they feel the sub they pay every month should include that to. I say its a simple thing. Either play it or don't. Nobody is forcing anyone to have to buy anything from these stores. Personally, I think they should just take it all the way. Put every item in the game available in the cstore also. That way, they can make money on the people that dont care to spend money on items and people without that extra disposable income can still get it in game. People would still complain about it simply because they dont have the disposable income to get an item and they dont want to put in the time to get it. You simply can't please everyone!

Originally posted by Nesrie

Fed vs. Fed PvP

So do they have a in game reason for this?. I am just curious if there is some story behind this the Fed fighting each other or maybe it's just another desperate attempt to pad the game?

Does there have to be a story or a reason? It is an easy one to create that totally fits in the star trek universe. They are simply doing war game scenarios. I am not a pvp fan for this game simply because I don't believe it should be in this star trek setting but the current PVP setup in the game has no real meaning anyway. There is no real fights for key systems or anything so in general it doesn't matter if your fighting the klingons or fighting a fed buddy. Its simply there because some people want pvp in it. Maybe in time it will develop but currently there is 0 reason to pvp unless you are just wanting to try to inflate your ego a bit.

• DinendaeDinendae Member Posts: 1,264

Fed vs. Fed PvP

Before closed beta began, they were talking about 'war games' for the Federation. This is just probably that mechanic finally being implemented, though don't expect much in the way of a storyline explanation if the Klingon House vs. House PvP missions are any indicator.

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

• NesrieNesrie Member Posts: 648

Fed vs. Fed PvP

Before closed beta began, they were talking about 'war games' for the Federation. This is just probably that mechanic finally being implemented, though don't expect much in the way of a storyline explanation if the Klingon House vs. House PvP missions are any indicator.

Thanks. I haven't played since beta. I wasn't happy about the way they divided the races to team a and b and then said fight! War games are at least a believable if somewhat weak explanation... in terms of story. I wasn't referring to game mechanics so much as game universe.

parrotpholk-Because we all know the miracle patch fairy shows up the night before release and sprinkles magic dust on the server to make it allllll better.

• saxifrsaxifr Member UncommonPosts: 381

Fed vs. Fed PvP

Thanks. I haven't played since beta. I wasn't happy about the way they divided the races to team a and b and then said fight! War games are at least a believable if somewhat weak explanation... in terms of story. I wasn't referring to game mechanics so much as game universe.

Even with the Dominion war in Deep Space Nine, there was still a sense of exploration and newness about the enemy, and there were stories of individual redemption like with Damar.

None of that in this game, it's all shoot on sight.

RELAX!@!! BREATHE!!!