Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Population of Everquest 2

LaviticusLaviticus Member Posts: 33

Ok, I've been wondering how populated EQ2 is? I mean like close to 1million I saw on this 1 site but I've noticed all the gameplay and raid videos on youtube are 06-08 atleast and no 09 or 2010 videos. I seen alot of 07 so it must of been popular.

Laviticus.

Comments

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535

Last time I subbed (couple months back) - Tons of bots, etc. So I don't know the actual numbers of real players.

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

I've not seen any bots in ages.  Of course I don't hang out in low-level areas.

I'd guess the population is 100-200k, which is very healthy.  I don't think EQ2 was ever anywhere near a million.   Gamewide population isn't as important as server population and EQ2 can probably go to half the servers it has now (i think it has like 20).  Only 1 or 2 servers are packed, others have mediocre populations.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• LaviticusLaviticus Member Posts: 33

What do you mean by bots?

Laviticus.

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

bots are characters run by gold-selling companies that basically run around in small groups and slaughter mobs that no one else would bother killing (because of the low reward).  they can't kill anything worthwhile because that requires skill / learning the game, plus it's not time efficient, in eq2 they generally don't bother anyone except in concept.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• AlysenMinaseAlysenMinase Member Posts: 361

I just leveled a few characters 1-20 and didn't see any bots. Now that I think about it I never seen a bot in EQ2 :O

The population is healthy enough to play. It's not booming unless you play on AB or one of the more populated servers. Most have a somewhere in the middle population.

Playing - EVE, Wurm

Retired - Final Fantasy XI, Anarchy Online, Mabinogi

Waiting - ArcheAge, Salem

I saw on a site where Nagafen was most populated like 90k on it.

Laviticus.

• quietasquietas Member UncommonPosts: 15

I've played EQ2 for years, with several characters at 80. There was a time when bots were prevalent in some zones, but that is long past. Newbie zones are sparsely populated as most games once the majority of th population is far beyond them in levels. Lots of new toons, but most people end up soloing the lower content or group with friends and guildies.

Endgame content is highly populated with quest groups being quite commonplace. Sony has been on a schedule of roughly 1 expansion per year and that content has the majority of players. This is the same with WoW, EQ, and most games really. Overall the population isn't really much of an issue. When you start up, you can see what the population is rated when you choose a server.

• eyceleycel Member Posts: 1,334

mmodata says that everquest 2 peaked at 300k subscriptions and has been at 200k since 2006

Question then?  I thought the level cap was 90? I see guild levels 90. It's wierd if you ask me but yeah! I think the guild halls on EQ2 look a hell of a lot better in EQ1 btw.

Laviticus.

better then* EQ1 Guild Halls

Laviticus.

• wertaxwertax Member UncommonPosts: 68

Hi,

for resent videos see for example : http://www.youtube.com/user/NektulosRaidAlliance

Check http://eq2players.station.sony.com/serverstatus/ for the population (als use the server-type to switch),

but no idea if these are accounts, toons, actively played etc.

As for actively online players, your gues is as good as mine, since 2005/2006 SOE has not

given out any information at all at what their population numbers are, estemation range from +/-200k - 350k

*but these numbers all all from other players / sites none from SoE

so 100% gues work.

Greetings,

Ortahr.

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

Originally posted by Laviticus

Question then?  I thought the level cap was 90? I see guild levels 90. It's wierd if you ask me but yeah! I think the guild halls on EQ2 look a hell of a lot better in EQ1 btw.

The cap for all is level 90. As for population, its healthy enough unless you listen to people who play the first 20 levels and think they know everything about the game when you can do that in 4 hours.

• HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997

Originally posted by Moirae

The cap for all is level 90. As for population, its healthy enough unless you listen to people who play the first 20 levels and think they know everything about the game when you can do that in 4 hours.

that one is the truth.  the game is very top heavy due to the age of the game, will need to be patient if want to make a group for lower lvl content, just about anyone I know in game have a ton of alts and not really intrested in seeing the elder parts of the game, for the 10th time.

but aint a ghost town.... the fun start at lvl 90  ;(        if you just want to lvl up and do endgame....alot of lower lvl dungeons/instances with fun little events....but not easy to get groups for.

for the bots. saw a load of bots in start of the game, but this one thing SOE actually done a great job on squishing, havent had a spam tell or mail for years

hm edit: exact sub numbers there aint any of but who cares as long as you can get the groups going ;)   as long you dont sit lvl 14 monk LFG....and wonder why you aint getting a tell for invite, somewhere.

So basically it's hard to get a group for lower levels?

Laviticus.

• GetalifeGetalife Member CommonPosts: 786

Nope its not. Atleast not on Crushbone and AB server. Also it helps if you are in an active guild. I suggest wait till HALA release if you are so worried about grouping at low levels.

No its not. But there's no reason you would need one since everything can be easily soloed up till level 20.

If you're so worried, then just start playing on the 25th. Thats the release date of the new Halas starting area.

Alright, thank you I guess I will play on AB server.

Laviticus.

Ok, here's the problem with that... yes, there's more people. Thats not neccesarily a good thing. It increases lag, makes it hard to harvest, and hard to get bosses. Populated doesn't mean good.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

Originally posted by Moirae

Ok, here's the problem with that... yes, there's more people. Thats not neccesarily a good thing. It increases lag, makes it hard to harvest, and hard to get bosses. Populated doesn't mean good.

It's not all that hard to harvest.  I leveled up my gathering skills on AB and I can only remember a couple of times where I was competing against someone, and that was usually in a rather confined area.  Most of the zones in EQ2 are large enough to accommodate the amount of players usually harvesting on a regular basis.

As for lag, I've had a bit of lag where my ping stayed at a minimum of 400 but sometimes flew up to 700-900ms, but I have a relatively crappy internet connection and it has only affected me a handful of times.  I recommend at least starting on Antonia Bayle to see if the lag is managable, and if not, roll a toon on Lucan D'Lere or another popular server.

Just don't roll a toon on a dead server only to come here and complain that you have no one to group with.  The servers show their load for a reason :)

What server do you recommend for someone who never played before except one but it was like a week. 

Laviticus.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

When I played it was on AB, I had just started and never played the game before, the community there was relatively helpful and the population was high enough to have groups at lower levels. Never noticed any lag problems either. So I reccomend starting there if anything.

What server do you recommend for someone who never played before except one but it was like a week. 

Already recommended AB server to you. :) Go ahead its the best server for EQ2 new comers.

I was actually thinking of coming back to EQ2 but I didn't know if the game will last much longer with EQ3 announced. So anyone have any advice to whether or not it's worth coming back right now?

Originally posted by Panther2103

I was actually thinking of coming back to EQ2 but I didn't know if the game will last much longer with EQ3 announced. So anyone have any advice to whether or not it's worth coming back right now?

Eh? EQ1 is still alive and EQ2 is double the amount of content of EQ1, i highly doubt EQ3 will be the cause of EQ2 shutting down. Only way it will die is when SOE pulls the plug.

Originally posted by Getalife

Originally posted by Panther2103

Eh? EQ1 is still alive and EQ2 is double the amount of content of EQ1, i highly doubt EQ3 will be the cause of EQ2 shutting down. Only way it will die is when SOE pulls the plug.

Yeah but is the population squandering? I mean I know AB and that other server still have people, but is it enough to keep the game going?