Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How Many Accounts Do You Have?

Comments

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

Honestly, I just have an issue with people that tell new players thats its mandatory to have more than one account.

Which of course isnt true.

It gives the wrong impression of the game as if Eve is some broken game and you cant get shit done unless your multi-boxing.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

Originally posted by Rockgod99

Honestly, I just have an issue with people that tell new players thats its mandatory to have more than one account.

It gives the wrong impression of the game as if Eve is some broken game and you cant get shit done unless your multi-boxing.

Totally agree.

I'm doing ok for myself after all these years. It really isn't necessary to have an alt to enjoy this game.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

You do not need two accounts to be successful in EvE.   Some of us just like the versatility and different options two accounts gives us. 

• PoopyStuffPoopyStuff Member Posts: 297

• NethermancerNethermancer Member Posts: 520

I only have 1 account and have been playing for 6 months now.

I will never have more then one account and i have accumulated almost 1 bill isk without any corporation help. So trust me you don't NEED more then one if your smart.

I have taken the jack of all trades approach...which i was told not to, but it has been very lucrative having the skill to do many things in the game.

Take opinions at face value and play the game how you want to play it.

Playing: PO, EVE
    Waiting for: WoD
    Favourite MMOs: VG, EVE, FE and DDO
    Any person who expresses rage and loathing for an MMO is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505

Originally posted by Teala

You do not need two accounts to be successful in EvE.   Some of us just like the versatility and different options two accounts gives us. 

Agreed.  Great example of it right now.  While I live deep in WH space, sometimes my characters just have to come out to empire for one reason or another.  The only way they can get back in is for either one of my corpmates still in the WH to scan out an exit  route(which can be pretty time consuming) and then have him leave the bookmarks somewhere so I can find my way back home.

Or..... I make sure I always leave at least one character with scanning skills and use it to scan my own exit route and get my other alts back in the hole.

Its not so much a need, because of course a corp mate could help me, more of a matter of self-sufficiency that I prefer to have when I'm gaming. 

While I enjoy grouping and gaming with people, not so much a fan of depending on them.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• batolemaeusbatolemaeus Member CommonPosts: 2,061

That I will agree with.
    Multiple accounts are a luxury, you can play without them. They are, however, a nice luxury and few people will want to give up all their alts for extended periods of time, should they once acquire one. It usually involves activies, however, that new players won't deal with for months or years, or even not once during their entire time in eve.

• DarinaSDarinaS Member Posts: 4

Multiple accounts are a luxury, but if you can pay for them with ISK then another account is good for creating a character and selling it on in the Character Bazaar. I've seen 20 mil SP characters go for a billion or more.

• batolemaeusbatolemaeus Member CommonPosts: 2,061

Originally posted by DarinaS
    I've seen 20 mil SP characters go for a billion or more.

A bil for 20m? That's pretty cheap, since for a bil you can only create a new character with about four months of playtime.

• qazymanqazyman Member Posts: 1,785

I have 2 but only one is active ATM. You can easily play with one but you need 2 to be able to scout and probe for yourself, and need 2 if you own a POS in a WH incase you get locked out.

• KrematoryKrematory Member UncommonPosts: 608

1 account.

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran

• LordAdderLordAdder Member Posts: 123

I currently have three accounts and will probably start a fourth sometime this summer. I started EVE on a trial last summer, and as soon as the 14 days was up, I opened two accounts.  Two months later I started the third.  My reason is quite simple... I am an altaholic freak.  Three characters on one account, and only one allowed to train at a time quite frankly was not nearly enough to satisfy my gaming split personalities.  Sadly though, I can only play one at a time currently, but this summer I should finish my new system build (with triple monitors for stereo 3D gaming) along with a second, less powerful system (with only two monitors).  I will then have the ability to multi-box with more than one, hence the fourth account will go live then too.  Two accounts running on each system should suffice.

My characters are all trained in different professions - My three mains are CEO/Scientist; Explorer/Spy/Scout; CEO/PvP Fighter (this one is actually a, umm, free-spirited type. Heh).  Three others are trained fairly well so far as Industrialist/Market-Player (and will be my main planet-side guru when Tyrannis goes live); Militia/Bounty Hunter; Blockade Runner/Hauler of anything and everything/Drug Manufacturer (another free-spirited type).  The last three are less trained but working on fundamental type skills.  All are trained in salvaging & mining for use as needed, and all run missions as needed too.

That's the basics.  I could go on about being a solo player at heart but I do enjoy grouping at times too, but that's a whole different ball-of-wax, so I'll let it go at that.

EDIT - I should add that I am in total agreement that it is NOT necessary to have two or more accounts to survive in EVE.  It is just a luxury as was pointed out by others above.  As I stated earlier, I am simply an altaholic, and proud of it! image

~ Adder ~
    Quick, Silent, Deadly

• Kaisen_DexxKaisen_Dexx Member UncommonPosts: 326

I own two. I picked up my second to be a miner alt, but after awhile I lost a use for him. I'll probably keep him around incase I find a need he can fill. In the mean time, I'm quite content with just one main.

• KeyzzaniKeyzzani Member Posts: 31

I have 2 accounts and I pay for both of them with ISK.

I also have 6 characters on these accounts and use all of them. One is a trader, three are doing research (one of which also does manufacture and invention, and one can pilot a freighter). And in the last two slots I have two PVP characters.

So it's a pretty good idea to fill up those three slots on your accounts - even though you can't train skills on all of them, it still gives you a lot of flexibility.

• tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216

Originally posted by Teala

2 accounts.   One has my hauler and a crafter and the other has my miner, a rat, and a scavanger.   ^_^   I can't see playing this game with less than 2.

yar same here, 2 accounts makes the game a whole lot more manageable imo. One is my main pvp account while the other is my hauler/covops scout alt. After a month of getting the second account i found it hard to believe i roamed lowsec solo without a scout.... but then i guess i didnt need to worry in my thrasher.

Playing: EVE Online
    Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
    Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
    KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -

• BluefixBluefix Member Posts: 166

Originally posted by Naral

I am relatively new to the game, and am curious as to how many accounts people utilize to maximize their enjoyment of the game. 

Had 2 for a period but realized I only really used 1 and the need for 2 is very exaggerated once you have a character with a lot of skills. Mainly used my second account to look at markets in other regions, so I didn't need to log out/in with an alt.

In my experience most people have 1 and some have 2, but I never met anyone with more than 2. Should be added that your poll will show people have more accounts than is reality. Not because people are lying, but because people frequenting game forums by nature tends to be more hardcore (obviously a generalization, but more or less true).

• GetalifeGetalife Member CommonPosts: 786

Only one though i know many many players who have 2 or more accounts. I guess thats how EVE has reached sub numbers of 250K.

• throckmortonthrockmorton Member Posts: 314

My second account is dedicated to manufacturing and other economic stuff. I make enough isk with it to buy plexes for both of my accounts.

Without an account dedicated to economic stuff, the subscription on my combat main would be paid with $.

So a second account saves me RL $, gives me greater flexibility in game, and nets me tons of extra isk that I can throw away.

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

Originally posted by Bluefix

Originally posted by Naral

I am relatively new to the game, and am curious as to how many accounts people utilize to maximize their enjoyment of the game. 

Had 2 for a period but realized I only really used 1 and the need for 2 is very exaggerated once you have a character with a lot of skills. Mainly used my second account to look at markets in other regions, so I didn't need to log out/in with an alt.

In my experience most people have 1 and some have 2, but I never met anyone with more than 2. Should be added that your poll will show people have more accounts than is reality. Not because people are lying, but because people frequenting game forums by nature tends to be more hardcore (obviously a generalization, but more or less true).

I know one guy with fourteen accounts. But he's richer (in ISK) than Midas. In fairness he has a... complex set of personal life issues and pretty much has to stay at home.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• cosycosy Member UncommonPosts: 3,228

i own almost a dozen but most of the time only have 4/5 active

BestSigEver :P

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

I have only one because of lack of time and money to make another worth while or can sustain the sub by playing.

It actually bothers me that almost everyone I talk to has at least 2 and they get such a huge benefit in having more. Eve doesn't even allow to have more than one client running at once but I'm sure CCP is very pleased to have many players with multi-accounts that can get around this. =/

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Originally posted by mmoguy43

I have only one because of lack of time and money to make another worth while or can sustain the sub by playing.

It actually bothers me that almost everyone I talk to has at least 2 and they get such a huge benefit in having more. Eve doesn't even allow to have more than one client running at once but I'm sure CCP is very pleased to have many players with multi-accounts that can get around this. =/

.. if your going to make a statement about the game, its best to make sure its actually true.. it really only proves that you dont play the game, as the Eve client can be run mutliple times without modification. most systems can run 2 clients, but running 3 is not impossible..  best check something is actually true before you make something up that isnt! image

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

Originally posted by Malcanis

I know one guy with fourteen accounts. But he's richer (in ISK) than Midas. In fairness he has a... complex set of personal life issues and pretty much has to stay at home.

Impressive. He must be a handy friend to have.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

Originally posted by Phry

Originally posted by mmoguy43

.. if your going to make a statement about the game, its best to make sure its actually true.. it really only proves that you dont play the game, as the Eve client can be run mutliple times without modification. most systems can run 2 clients, but running 3 is not impossible..  best check something is actually true before you make something up that isnt! image

All you have proved is I haven't recently tried running 2 since I came back. I could have sworn that I couldn't run more than one becaue I had another pc run a second years ago.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

instead of opeaning up ne accounts i decided to buy game time codes and become a billionare