Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW that didn't take long...

2»

Comments

• RedRaptor22RedRaptor22 Member Posts: 44

At least their not forcing anyone to buy actual content that was promised as part of the game that not obtainable in-game like cryptic does.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

Originally posted by elusivex

Originally posted by kaiser3282

Originally posted by xSagai

I just really hope crap like this stays limited to Blizzard and SOE (or Cryptic too, since i dont play their crap anyway :-P).

Between Turbine resurrectng DDO in a big way with an Item Mall and Blizzard's foray into the same adding validity to this trend, this type of garbage is here to stay.

Well, DDO is a bit of an exception, and i find their way perfectly acceptable. For one, its not buy game + pay sub + pspend money on the cash shop. It failed as P2P, and has since switched to F2P which of course has a cash shop attached. But with their cash shop, you can get absolutely every single thing theyve got in it 100% free by simply playing the game enough and racking up Favor Points for accomplishing certain things. So nobody is at any sort of disadvantage, its just 2 methods, easy & expensive, or hard & free.

Problem with WoW, and especially EQ2 now with added damage bonuses from the mounts, is that on top of paying the cost of the game + your monthly sub, now youre also expected to spend more money to attain those things and get the advantage with no alternative method like DDO, either spend $25 or dont get it at all. Also, it's not just about the mounts, its also about what else theyre going to start doing this with if the mounts are succesful. How many other items will they start putting up for $20-30 pricetags that give advantages?

How are you expected to do anything besides pay 15$?  You are making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Nobody is holding a gun to your freaking head shouting 'BUY THIS DAMN MOUNT OR YOUR GAME EXPERIENCE WILL SUCK AND THE GAMES PUBLISHER WILL CLOSE IT'S DOORS"

Give me a break!

They may not be shouting that directly, but that is exactly what theyre doing, especially in games that are PvP focused or have PvP servers, and are highly gear & stat dependent.

Its pretty simple, lets just for arguments sake say 2 equally geared, same class, etc players have a stat of 100STR, which directly impacts your DPS. Then, they start releasing mounts, pets, accessories, etc which all add +5 STR. Youve got 1 person still sitting at 100STR, while youve got another, who spent $100 extra bucks, and now has 120 STR, and can drop player 1 with ease, and player 1, no matter what they do (short of catching them AFK), cant take them out because of the difference in stats. That ruins player1's experience.

• boognish75boognish75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,540

I have played eq2 since the start and anything that gives an edge from the marketplace can be found and compensated for with dungeon loot in one form or another, and every player does have the option to go to a market server and sell stuff on live gamer to buy stuff from the cash market.

playing eq2 and two worlds

• RedRaptor22RedRaptor22 Member Posts: 44

I just really hope crap like this stays limited to Blizzard and SOE (or Cryptic too, since i dont play their crap anyway :-P).

Between Turbine resurrectng DDO in a big way with an Item Mall and Blizzard's foray into the same adding validity to this trend, this type of garbage is here to stay.

Well, DDO is a bit of an exception, and i find their way perfectly acceptable. For one, its not buy game + pay sub + pspend money on the cash shop. It failed as P2P, and has since switched to F2P which of course has a cash shop attached. But with their cash shop, you can get absolutely every single thing theyve got in it 100% free by simply playing the game enough and racking up Favor Points for accomplishing certain things. So nobody is at any sort of disadvantage, its just 2 methods, easy & expensive, or hard & free.

Problem with WoW, and especially EQ2 now with added damage bonuses from the mounts, is that on top of paying the cost of the game + your monthly sub, now youre also expected to spend more money to attain those things and get the advantage with no alternative method like DDO, either spend $25 or dont get it at all. Also, it's not just about the mounts, its also about what else theyre going to start doing this with if the mounts are succesful. How many other items will they start putting up for $20-30 pricetags that give advantages?

How are you expected to do anything besides pay 15$?  You are making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Nobody is holding a gun to your freaking head shouting 'BUY THIS DAMN MOUNT OR YOUR GAME EXPERIENCE WILL SUCK AND THE GAMES PUBLISHER WILL CLOSE IT'S DOORS"

Give me a break!

They may not be shouting that directly, but that is exactly what theyre doing, especially in games that are PvP focused or have PvP servers, and are highly gear & stat dependent.

Its pretty simple, lets just for arguments sake say 2 equally geared, same class, etc players have a stat of 100STR, which directly impacts your DPS. Then, they start releasing mounts, pets, accessories, etc which all add +5 STR. Youve got 1 person still sitting at 100STR, while youve got another, who spent $100 extra bucks, and now has 120 STR, and can drop player 1 with ease, and player 1, no matter what they do (short of catching them AFK), cant take them out because of the difference in stats. That ruins player1's experience.

The stats on those mounts are'nt that good except for the movement speed and any level 80 can have a mount that's just as fast with even better stats so you really are making a mountain out of a mole hill, and +5 to any stat simply does'nt make enough difference to even matter in this game, pvp or pve.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

Originally posted by RedRaptor22

Give me a break!

The stats on those mounts are'nt that good except for the movement speed and any level 80 can have a mount that's just as fast with even better stats so you really are making a mountain out of a mole hill, and +5 to any stat simply does'nt make enough difference to even matter in this game, pvp or pve.

Perhaps those stats dont matter to a level 80, but i dont recall the mounts being restricted to lvl 80 characters, or every playe rin the game being level 80 o.O

Anyway, perhaps the +5 wont make a big difference, but when they start doing it with multiple items, it will start having an impact and you will start seeing a bigger gap. Perhaps im wrong in my assumption that the trend will continue, not only within EQ2 and WoW, but other games too, but if theyre profiting off of this, theres no reason for them to stop at just mounts.

• WildvixennWildvixenn Member Posts: 23

you guys shure to cry alot about stuff like marketplaces in MMO's

• SoludeSolude Member UncommonPosts: 691

Couple of things.

1-90 of steady 2-4 hours per day takes about one month with no outside help.  When ZAM held a challenge, someone did 1-80, cap at the time, in 7 hours.  But yes you can buy XP pots from the cash shop, but then I always hit cap with lots of my free pots left so...

The stats on the mount are flat out bad except for the run speed.  The in game completely free quested/shard mounts are better stat wise.  5 of something in EQ2 when you are running around with 1400 of your primary stat is meaningless.  Also SF gear made it possible to cap pretty much every bonus attainable solo.  So an extra 5 above and beyond the cap... nothing.

Also get over it.  Don't want one, don't buy one.  Think $25 mount is silly, don't move into another hobby because frankly $25 is peanuts.

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

Yes yes, we know about the mount. There has been tons of arguments and anger about it on the official forums. How about you go post on the official forums where the devs will actgually read it? The devs know we're all angry about it and they have been responding very defensively. More defensively and with more posts than they ever have for anything on there. Posting here won't do you any good except to annoy the people on MMORPG.com.

• DonnnyDonnny Member Posts: 40

Originally posted by Wildvixenn

Actually if your a fan of the game you should  be greatfull that  there are still people around  to cry. Some, like myself just, cancel their subs and uninstall.  What is sad  isnt the folks that remain and cry, nor is it the folks who leave the game. Its the people that accept cash shops in P2P games that makes the future of MMO's sad to contemplate.

• GetalifeGetalife Member CommonPosts: 786

Originally posted by Donnny

Actually if your a fan of the game you should  be greatfull that  there are still people around  to cry. Some, like myself just, cancel their subs and uninstall.  What is sad  isnt the folks that remain and cry, nor is it the folks who leave the game. Its the people that accept cash shops in P2P games that makes the future of MMO's sad to contemplate.

How does it make future of MMO sad? because they are selling something which is not even 'must have' for your gameplay? how is the fluff in item stores hurting you? care to explain? EQ2 is known for its huge amount of content and thats where it shines. I have no idea how an item shop in EQ2 which only sells cosmetic items is making its future sad or stoping you from enjoying the thousands of quests and other in game activities.

Originally posted by Getalife

How does it make future of MMO sad? because they are selling something which is not even 'must have' for your gameplay? how is the fluff in item stores hurting you? care to explain? EQ2 is known for its huge amount of content and thats where it shines. I have no idea how an item shop in EQ2 which only sells cosmetic items is making its future sad or stoping you from enjoying the thousands of quests and other in game activities.

I suppose they are doing this as a favor for the playerbase? I know all about what made EQ2 shine. I played the game off and on for a few years.  CS in P2P games are a sign of things to come if accepted and if you think cosmetic items are the end then you are mistaken, for it is just the beginning. If you choose to accept that is your right to do so, just as it is my right not to accept it and as I said, cancel and uninstall.

• GetalifeGetalife Member CommonPosts: 786

I suppose they are doing this as a favor for the playerbase? I know all about what made EQ2 shine. I played the game off and on for a few years.  CS in P2P games are a sign of things to come if accepted and if you think cosmetic items are the end then you are mistaken, for it is just the beginning. If you choose to accept that is your right to do so, just as it is my right not to accept it and as I said, cancel and uninstall.

You can cancel its you right, never said anything about your cancellation rights. Its the whole  'sad future of MMO' comment i was talking about. You cancelled your sub on basis of something which may or may not happen in future? well good for you?

I am not a pessimist and look at things in a very practical way. And anyone with little bit of common sense will tell you that SOE will never sell armors, weapons etc in item stores unless they want to completely ruin the fantastic game that EQ2 has become over the years along with its loyal fanbase and community. Sorry buddy but that is never going to happen. Cosmetic stuff is all you are going to get now and also in future.

You can cancel its you right, never said anything about your cancellation rights. Its the whole  'sad future of MMO' comment i was talking about. You cancelled your sub on basis of something which may or may not happen in future? well good for you?

I am not a pessimist and look at things in a very practical way. And anyone with little bit of common sense will tell you that SOE will never sell armors, weapons etc in item stores unless they want to completely ruin the fantastic game that EQ2 has become over the years along with its loyal fanbase and community. Sorry buddy but that is never going to happen. Cosmetic stuff is all you are going to get now and also in future.

It may or may not happen to EQ2 but once it becomes acceptable it becomes the norm and further SOE games such as EQ Next will indeed contain such shops.  The future of mmo's is P2P cash shop models which are being accepted by EQ2 and WOW fans. Cryptic has shown it as well. Its this future that is the sad future I referred to. SWTOR was a game I was interested in but if the rumors of a CS are true I will avoid it as well.  It may be fluff items for now but that will not always be the case now that  it has been shown that people will indeed accept it as the way it is.

• TimzillaTimzilla Member UncommonPosts: 437

Apparently, you're not familiar with SOE.

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

I'd have agreed with you before they backstabbed us by putting in the mount they just did.