Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

help with my monitor

majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

So yesterday my Geforce 8800 GTX burned up. I still had a Geforce 8400 GS around, which is better than having no computer to use at all, until I get my GTX replaced.

Problem:

• When I connect my 23" monitor with the DVI cable to the DVI slot on the 8400 GS, the monitor stays black.

• When I connect my 23" monitor with the analogue cable to the analogue slot on the 8400 GS, the monitor tells me to check the cables

• When I connect my 23" monitor with the DVI analogue cable from the analogue slot on the monitor to the DVI slot on the graphics card, I get an image. However, the monitor complains that it's just analogue, and I can only get a resolution of 1600*somethingsomething, which is pretty badm, since the native resolution of the monitor is 1920*1080, and as a result all text is blurry.

• When I connect my 19" monitor with the analogue cable to the analogue slot on the GS 8400, then I get an image too.

So currently I have the choice between a sharp tiny picture (1400*900 or something on a 19") or a large blurry picture on my 23".

Question is:

Why does my 23" monitor show me a black screen when I connect it with the DVI cable to the graphics card? It knows it's connected correctly, otherwise I'd get a "check the cables" notice. Also the computer runs normally, and the DVI part of the graphics card works too (since I'd otherwise get no picture if I use the analogue cable with an adapter to connect the monitor to the DVI slot).

Thanks for any help. I really don't want to fight with a blurry screen for the next month.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)