Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Broken Promises

Comments

• raistalin69raistalin69 Member Posts: 575

Originally posted by saxifr

Originally posted by Rifle123

Coderanger is on a SERIOUS excuse making tour in that thread.  My favorite is:

"I think you don't understand how easy it is to have an idea and how hard it is to put it in the game..."

Someone should check their job description.  This attitute is why Cryptic will forever be a second rate (maybe third) developing house.

Stay away from the difficult tasks Coderanger and leave that for the big-boy devolopment houses.  We wouldn't want you to hurt yourself or heaven forbid put some quality and passion in your product.

"I think you don't understand" whatever is not the right way to go about communicating with paying customers if you want them to remain paying customers.

"i think you dont understand" = "you just dont get it"

same line,

just as insulting

IF THE ONLY DEFENCE FOR CRITICISM OF A GAME IS CALLING SOMEONE A TROLL OR HATER, THAT SAYS A LOT ABOUT THE QUALITY OF THE GAME

• CacaphonyCacaphony Member Posts: 738

Quote:

Originally Posted by coderanger

Since this is something else that seems to be unclear, let me shed some more light. People that work at game companies like games. We wouldn't be here if we didn't. Even a top-level executive like Jack will make a fraction of the money he could get working for a big investment bank or something given his talents. We are also full of creative people. When you put creative people next to something they love, they tend to get excited. They see a world of possibilities spread out in front of them like in a Navigator trance. If you talk to someone like Jack or Zinc or Poz that will love nothing more than then to go on and on about every little idea they have for making Awesome Things. Trust me, ask me about things I want my code to do and I jabber on for hours. Will I get to any of those tasks in the forseeable future, probably not. I still love to think about it though. Maybe it is just something about the kind of people that end up at game companies? In any case, as others have said Jack wanting something in the game is far from a promise we will do it. That doesn't make it a bad idea, or an impossible idea, just that it might never get done.

If you guys can't deal with this kind of communication, and understand that every idea isn't an ironclad truth about what will be, then I will repeat that we need to reevaluate how (and how much) we talk to you. Treat us like people and not corporate drones, and we will always try to do the same.

The flipside of all of this is that you guys have a lot of power over our long-term goals. Unify as a community on a particular request and you better believe it will happen. The SNR here doesn't seem to allow for that very often though, so more usually we need to rely on the OCR team to try and gauge what the community as a whole seems to be leaning towards (or more realisitically, what 5-10 things ...). We have a vision for what we want to see over the coming years, but it isn't our opinons that matter ;-)

"This post irritates me to no end.

Allow me to rip it to bits bit by bit and be clear as to what is annoying me.

If you talk to someone like Jack or Zinc or Poz that will love nothing more than then to go on and on about every little idea they have for making Awesome Things. Trust me, ask me about things I want my code to do and I jabber on for hours. - So letting people see the videos, who would no doubt believe things these people were rambling about would be put in to the game, was a very cruel thing to do, but good from an accountants point of view.

Jack wanting something in the game is far from a promise we will do it. That doesn't make it a bad idea, or an impossible idea, just that it might never get done. - You know those warnings they always stick at the start of DVD's, claiming that the interviews with cast and crew no way reflect the opinions of the company who produced the DVD? All the STO videos should have one of those, like "Please listen and be excited about what you are about to see and hear, but make sure you don't let that influence your choice to buy STO as none of it will actually be in the game, EVER. Unless it's optional content we will charge you for"

If you guys can't deal with this kind of communication, and understand that every idea isn't an ironclad truth about what will be, then I will repeat that we need to reevaluate how (and how much) we talk to you. Treat us like people and not corporate drones, and we will always try to do the same. - First of all, who do you think you are talking too? This paragraph sounds like a threat. You are going to severe communication with the fanbase if they take the ramblings of developers as hints as to what is going to be put in to the game. That's just not very nice, is it? Treat us like people, not sheep who have bought your product and are henceforth forced to play the thing.

The flipside of all of this is that you guys have a lot of power over our long-term goals. Unify as a community on a particular request and you better believe it will happen. - Listening to the vocal minority is not a good idea. Look at Star Wars Galaxies, it's a far superior product than STO, but they made the mistake of listening to the loudest people on the forums, and it sent the game down hill. This will happen to STO too, not that you can get that much worse (imo - a lot of work needs putting in to this game, at least another 2 years should have gone in to it before launch)

I'm probably going to get infraction points for this post, I usually seem to get them for saying things about STO people don't agree with, or don't want on their forums. But as a paying customer (at least that's what I am since my request for a refund was denied ) I think I am entitled to my view and have the right to post on the forums when I disagree with something, as long as my posts are civil. "

The above was taken from the STO forums, by a forum member I highly respect, along with the author of the thread which I linked in my op.  I think this post is pretty awesome... so I would like to share it.

Preach on brother treebort... preach on. 

• PermianPermian Member CommonPosts: 78

If I was still a customer I'd be cancelling all over again after reading Coderanger's little pep talk speech. Paying for the privilege of being condescended to isn't all that popular an idea to me.

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056

Originally posted by Cacaphony

The above was taken from the STO forums, by a forum member I highly respect, along with the author of the thread which I linked in my op.  I think this post is pretty awesome... so I would like to share it.

I would have called BS on this opening part:

"Since this is something else that seems to be unclear, let me shed some more light. People that work at game companies like games. We wouldn't be here if we didn't.

Bullshit. MMOs are big money now, and lots of people work at jobs they have no interest in, besides a paycheck.

Even a top-level executive like Jack will make a fraction of the money he could get working for a big investment bank or something given his talents."

PFFT! Yeah, sure pal. His results don't match that claim, by any means. I think he's very lucky to be working in an industry where the competition is so weak. A big bank would expect him to actually please his clients.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• coomscooms Member Posts: 219

/sarcasm on

Who would have thought the creators of such great games as CoH/CoV and champions online would make a bad game..

• dhayes68dhayes68 Member UncommonPosts: 1,388

The argument that implementation is hard is laughable given their incredibly short dev time, and the even more pathetic reason that it HAS been done better. Lol.

Can you imagine any other industry attempting to use difficulty of implementaion as an excuse?

Hi, CEO of <car company> here, sorry our cars suck but its REALLY hard to make good cars, so just accept our crappy ones ok?

• dhayes68dhayes68 Member UncommonPosts: 1,388

Originally posted by cooms

/sarcasm on

Who would have thought the creators of such great games as CoH/CoV and champions online would make a bad game..

The MMO industry has shifted from making money by making good games, to just making money. Lets get an IP, whip up the hype, sell a crapload of boxes, and lifetime subs. If we do it right, we can make a profit for our investors before the free month is over. Re-use a game system to save even more money and the sub are just gravy.

• RedRaptor22RedRaptor22 Member Posts: 44

I have'nt played the game or am I even a star trek fan, but I've followed it since perpetual had the IP.

I really just can't believe what cryptic has done to this game so far lol, selling races and ships in an item mall "IN A SPACE GAME!?", especially when half of the stuff that was promised at launch is'nt even there?! and then you have to pay for small content updates? a full on expansion is one thing, but buying missing missions, races and ships is a whole other thing. 

I have a few trekkie freinds that gave it a shot and both of them told me they "beat" the game in around two months and had absolutely nothing left to do except grind the item mall.

It's pretty sad how so many people got fleeced by this game and shelled out for lifetime subs, I just looked at the official site and noticed they already have a returning player promotion also....after only three months post-launch!

I've been disgusted by most games in the last year and with my old fallback games but after seeing people be treated like you guys I'm damn happy to give my money to SOE, the service may be crappy but in eq2 I can't say that we don't usually get more than promised, when promised... only vg players are screwed around as badly as you guys are.

• DinendaeDinendae Member Posts: 1,264

Originally posted by ThiborF

It was my first foray into seriously considering buying into a Cryptic game. It most likely will be my last for quite some time until there are serious upper management changes and/or they split or get sold off by Atari.

Getting free of Atari will unfortunately not solve much; Cryptic has established a pattern of shallow gameplay experiences. Additionally, it was Cryptic who campe up with their current business model of mass producing MMOs as quickly and cheaply as possible. Things might change for the better if Cryptic's executive team was replaced, but probably not as while they were still under Atari's thumb.

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

Originally posted by Drednaught

Originally posted by Dinendae

Concerning their comments about how hard things are to implement; they used to say that about a lot of things people were asking for in CoH. Funny thing is that as soon as Cryptic sold CoH/CoV to NCsoft, you started seeing those items being implemented. I don't think it's so much a lack of talent among the rank and file Cryptic employees, as it is some kind of failure on the part of Cryptic's executive team.

When Cryptic sold CoH/CoV to NCsoft all the CoH devs transferred to NCsoft as well.Only Statesman (Jack Emmert) left the project.

According to Emmert, there are eleven people still with Cryptic that worked on CoH/CoV with them; whether that includes executive team members or not, I do not know.

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

Originally posted by MMO_Doubter

Even a top-level executive like Jack will make a fraction of the money he could get working for a big investment bank or something given his talents."

PFFT! Yeah, sure pal. His results don't match that claim, by any means. I think he's very lucky to be working in an industry where the competition is so weak. A big bank would expect him to actually please his clients.

Actually, a big bank (or any bank for that matter) wouldn't hire him; his degrees are more in line with being a teacher of ancient history, according to past interviews with him. Frankly, I think he should have stuck with that path.

• mezlabormezlabor Member Posts: 133

Oh Jack! the more things change the more they stay the same. I dug up this little gem of an article detailing the feelings of a vast majority of the coh/v players towards him. http://paragontattler.blogspot.com/2009/02/why-most-coh-cov-veteran-players.html How much of this sounds familair? Heh history repeats itself.

• SpiderpopeSpiderpope Member Posts: 69

Originally posted by Dinendae

Actually, a big bank (or any bank for that matter) wouldn't hire him; his degrees are more in line with being a teacher of ancient history, according to past interviews with him. Frankly, I think he should have stuck with that path.

Teaching these days requires being able to produce sustainable results, it's all about league tables. It also requires being able to engage with people in a meaningful way without pissing them off. Jack would make a terrible teacher.

Given his ability to make vague promises, force his customers to pay for even rudimentary services, and inability to actually deliver a quality product i'd argue he'd excel in the current banking business.

Your friendly neighbourhood Spider-pope.

• ScribbleLay1ScribbleLay1 Member Posts: 177

Well you can be for the game or against the game and the fact still remains the same, the game is poor at best.  You can justify it anyway you want to as why the game is the way it is.  I personally would like to see all monthly subscribers not renew their subscriptions for 1 month and watch how fast Cryptic changes their point of view on who gets it and who dosen't.

• GrumpyMel2GrumpyMel2 Member Posts: 1,832

Originally posted by Cacaphony

I would have called BS on this opening part:

"Since this is something else that seems to be unclear, let me shed some more light. People that work at game companies like games. We wouldn't be here if we didn't.

Bullshit. MMOs are big money now, and lots of people work at jobs they have no interest in, besides a paycheck.

Actualy game industry jobs (at least for the techies/coders, not sure about Execs) are in general notoriously low paying when compared to similar jobs in the Corporate Enterprise world. However there are TWO reasons why people work at the lower end of the pay scale for a particular position:

1) They are motivated by something other then money.

2) They lack the talent to be employed at a position that pays more.

I'll leave it upto you to decide which is the more likely in this particular instance.

• saxifrsaxifr Member UncommonPosts: 381

Originally posted by ScribbleLay1

Well you can be for the game or against the game and the fact still remains the same, the game is poor at best.  You can justify it anyway you want to as why the game is the way it is.  I personally would like to see all monthly subscribers not renew their subscriptions for 1 month and watch how fast Cryptic changes their point of view on who gets it and who dosen't.

Lol, I think this feature is coming with their Season 2 release.

RELAX!@!! BREATHE!!!

• mezlabormezlabor Member Posts: 133

Ahh yes the mythical season 2 patch that will fix all of STOS woes. Sort of like the promised 45 day patch that would solve all problems or the season 1 patch. Nay I fear the hardcore will just look to the horizon and say "Oh season 3 is coming and THAT will surely solve all the problems" As they did with the 45 day patch and the season 1 patch before.

• SpiderpopeSpiderpope Member Posts: 69

Originally posted by mezlabor

Ahh yes the mythical season 2 patch that will fix all of STOS woes. Sort of like the promised 45 day patch that would solve all problems or the season 1 patch. Nay I fear the hardcore will just look to the horizon and say "Oh season 3 is coming and THAT will surely solve all the problems" As they did with the 45 day patch and the season 1 patch before.

Dont forget the age old excuse of "All MMO's were this bad when they launched and had no content, you just have to give them 6 to 8 years to finish the game, god you haters are impatient how is the game going to get better if you don't throw money at the devs for doing a half assed job?!?"

Your friendly neighbourhood Spider-pope.

• bstiffbstiff Member Posts: 359

Originally posted by mezlabor

Some people are starting to say that already. People are starting to pin their hopes on updates that haven't even been announced yet. I guess once season 2 hits and the magical flood of players come back, they work on those.

• KitKat1KitKat1 Member Posts: 33

Yes i also picked up on the ..It's comming .. in the next..st ..next..st ..patch.. you know what i mean?

Realy i look at the offical forums and there is realy nothing to say... but "IT A FLOP" ..the people who are posting are all Blue names .. like me .. and if you smart .."Like me" ..you would save yourself the humility and turn that name off so that you dont look like the arss that fell for the Lifers sub ...con!

So yea ..logged in and geuss what ... Nothing ..on friday the game had  10 instances in SB1 .. with 27-29 players in it... Other sectors had 2-3 instances in it with 30-42 player  ...  and yes i did go looking in every nuke and cranny !

Its empty ..for a Friday ..and i think everyone is on the Forums .. PvPing .. by the way ..this was last friday.

It only looks like Lifers playing now ...

I think even the forums are starting to die down. Now I think it's just threads by lifers about how to save sto.  Funny a few weeks ago anyone who made mention of declingin sub levels and ways to save sto were accused of crying DOOM.  But I guess if you pay your $300 you're free to do whatever you want.

As for people coming back, I think cryptic missed the boat. You pretty much get one chance in the mmo industry and if you don't hook players in the first 30 days or so, that's it. Look at vanguard, It was a buggy mess at launch, people left and never came back even after they relaunched a few months later.  It was a shame because vanguard did have some interestin ideas especially the diplomacy system. STO is in the same boat, some good ideas but poorly executed and buggy. Even looking at their coming soon list, there's nothing that would make me pay $15  to see how poorly implemented things will be.

• ProfRedProfRed Member UncommonPosts: 3,494

Cryptic?  Broken Promises?  No way it must be a troll.

• MeTedMeTed Member Posts: 129

Dstahl commented on ground vehicles for STO on a thread requesting them. According to Dstahl they only have 1 guy who could do the ground physics but was far too busy doing other things. Anything outside the scope of their current wonder engine tools copy and paste functions is not feasible it seems. What a waste. It almost seems like they have the STO hardware tagged for reuse on their next MMO.

Originally posted by MeTed

Dstahl commented on ground vehicles for STO on a thread requesting them. According to Dstahl they only have 1 guy who could do the ground physics but was far too busy doing other things. Anything outside the scope of their current wonder engine tools copy and paste functions is not feasible it seems. What a waste. It almost seems like they have the STO hardware tagged for reuse on their next MMO.

Planet maps are microscopic as it is. why would people want vehicles?  It's not like you have to trek for hours to find your 5 items to scan then you can beam right out.

• ChachChach Member Posts: 69

MMOS have more than one chance.  Look at AOC.  That was a big pile of shit upon release.  A few job changes, some hard work and they have turned it around. 

Not saying that Cryptic could turn it around unless they built a whole new game but it's still a possibility.