Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LOTRO Roadmap & Lifetime Sub

I am having a serious think about buying the lifetime sub.

Playing with a good bunch of people and a kin that has been round for a long time and is active.  My concern is what is LOTRO roadmap for say the next 3 years.  I dont want to buy a lifetime sub and then see its worth drop because the dedication has gone in the game.  I have the LOTRO buzz back and it keeps dragging me deeper into the story arc.

Anyone have any links to plans for the forseeable future of the game I could read up on?

Comments

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Originally posted by iank240

I am having a serious think about buying the lifetime sub.

Playing with a good bunch of people and a kin that has been round for a long time and is active.  My concern is what is LOTRO roadmap for say the next 3 years.  I dont want to buy a lifetime sub and then see its worth drop because the dedication has gone in the game.  I have the LOTRO buzz back and it keeps dragging me deeper into the story arc.

Anyone have any links to plans for the forseeable future of the game I could read up on?

I am tempted too.

I was subbed for over a year. And honestly its the only MMO worth playing.

But I think its to late for lifetime sub. The game development obviously slowed. Before there were content additions every 3-4 months. While now there is no even a rumour of one upcomming. Mines of Moria was breathtaking expansion , while Mirkwood is much much smaller... so you see whats the trend.

Aside from that Turbine was purchased by WB couple of months ago. What does it mean for future , i dont know. But it certanly changes things.

• GadarethGadareth Member UncommonPosts: 310

Your really asking the wrong question. At the moment the Lifetime sub is half price this means for only a little bit over a 6 month subscription you can get a lifetime access.

So the correct question is ... can you see yourself playing LOTRO for 7 to 8  months ? If so get the lifetime sub and your not out of pocket.

simples..

Gadareth

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Originally posted by Gadareth

Your really asking the wrong question. At the moment the Lifetime sub is half price this means for only a little bit over a 6 month subscription you can get a lifetime access.

So the correct question is ... can you see yourself playing LOTRO for 7 to 8  months ? If so get the lifetime sub and your not out of pocket.

simples..

Gadareth

90$ ?

No way...where did you get this ?

• ValicynValicyn Member Posts: 1

There is no Lifetime Sub at the moment. I just logged into my account and only had upto 12 month option.

• JerYnkFanJerYnkFan Member UncommonPosts: 342

Originally posted by Lobotomist

Originally posted by Gadareth

simples..

Gadareth

90$ ?

No way...where did you get this ?

Yeah I'd like to know as well.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Why get a lifetime sub?  Even when they have them, you're looking at $199.  The quarterly plan is $29.97/ 3 months.  You'd be playing for 20 months on the price of the LTS.

I LOVE the game and I STILL couldn't tell you if I'd be playing 20 months from now.  Alot can happen in that timespan.  Everyone at Cryptic could win the lotto and buy Turbine, then bullox crafting, and give hobbits flight powers. 

Something could change IRL.

When it's all said and done, rare is the case that a LTS saves you money.  It looks great on paper, but reality is pretty good at meddling with such things.  

• EbonHawkEbonHawk Member Posts: 545

Yeah, I think Robsolf is correct...

When the game first came out the Lifetime Sub. was the cat's ass, but only if you got it then.  Now, meh?  To many variables.

Don't get me wrong I really enjoy LoTRO and I still have an active account and play when I can, but in todays scheme of MMO's and the WB buyout and peoples attention spans I would personally not go the lifetimers route.

• MyPreciousssMyPreciousss Member Posts: 427

Right now Codemasters (operating LotRO in Europe)  : original game + first expansion = 19.99 £ ; lifetime subscription = 75£.

Have this info in my launcher. No idea for other continents.

Lifetime subscription first quarter of 2008 was 219,99 euros! so it's really cheaper now for you who hesitate.

I have the lifetime and after all these months I can say it was for me the best mmo experience ever (graphics/community/performance/epic story/general design/lore/language quality) so I don't regret the investment.

The game is a bit stale right now as they aren't adding zones or content and they are focusing on two other mmos. But when they have all sorted it out we'll ride to the Lonely Mountain, Isengard and Rohan!

Maybe Xpansion at Xmas?

• RocketeerRocketeer Member UncommonPosts: 1,303

There is some word on the road ahead. I saw a interview with one of the devs on youtube at some gameconvention or such, next plan apparently is Isengard, and i THINK i heard its supposed to be a bigger expansion like moria instead of a miniexpansion like mirkwood. But he was hard to understand, lot of background noise and im not a native speaker so i didnt get fully what he was saying. 

• mckimminsmckimmins Member UncommonPosts: 51

I bought the lifetime sub about 2 years ago now. It was my main game for a solid year and a half. My wife has stuck by it though. For her it has more then paid off for itself and for me it came close. Although I can always play it when I am bored with Eve which is a great option. Or hop on for a kinship raid. It always gets to be a game I can go back to without the hassle of having to start up the sub again. The good thing about lotro is that you know you will want to come back to see isengard, lonely mountain, rohan, gondor, mordor, etc! Now whether all of that gets developed who knows. When I first started playing there were content updates all the time. Hell even Forochel, an entire zone, was a free update in a book. Now the free updates are a few book quest and the occasional new raid, the last expansion was nowhere near the amount of content of moria either.

I think you are still safe to buy the lifetime sub now though. We still have 2 hobbit movies. That will bring players to the game in another rush and probably another huge push from the devs for lots of content. With a lotro lifetime sub you will always have a great mmo to fall back on too.

• xx19kilosoldxx19kilosold Member Posts: 209

Based on Turbines handling of the Game post Mines of Moria Xpac, I would wait a while to see if the pattern of weak updates continues. At this point just based on the lack of attention Lotro is getting from Turbine, and their increased focus on DDO and their new unamed MMO, who they have pulled top developers off of Lotro to work on, its sure looks like Lotro is not the Turbine darling it once was and they have their eyes on greener pastures with a new project. Lotro going F2P like DDO is not out of the realm of possibilty if the game continues to hemorage players like it has over the last 12 months.

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

While I'm usually in favor of lifetime subs because they don't pressure you into thinking that you're wasting money if you don't play all the time (which leads to burnout, decreased appreciation for what's in-game and unrealistic desires for what's not), in this case, I think doing a long-term sub option would be better (like 3 or 6 months). This is still enough time to justify the cost, but it's not so long that if something does happen, you don't feel like you wasted $200.

• iank240iank240 Member Posts: 170

Thankyou all for your replies.

Did not expect so many!  Some interesting points.  I think I will wait for more information on the next expansion and details of the hobbit movies before making a decision.  As someone has mentioned, there is a certain lull going on at the moment as I assume that development has slowed down for the moment on other titles.

Until I look again, Falcro Featherfoot of the Harfoots and Guardian of the Shire will continue his quest........

• kingtommyboykingtommyboy Member Posts: 543

I also bought my lifetime sub today, I'm a returning player, haven't played lotro since pre-Mom times so I wanna see what changed. I gonna install the game tonight, and if I can get to a gamestore I will buy Mom.  But I got time now since I have a lifetime sub :D And I had no mmo to play atm, I didn't want to return to wow, cause I will be burned out again after a few weeks, and the terrible community keeps me away from it..

I heard that the population of  my old server ( evernight EU) is still rlly healthy! so we will see.

And I'm sure there will come more content for LOTRO soon, it's a great game, turbine won't let it just die, if the invest a bid they can still make a lot of money with it. LOTRO is a strong IP, and I need to get to max level :o so I have a lot of content to get through :p see you all in middle earth!

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    waiting for ... nothing..

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

Originally posted by kingtommyboy

I also bought my lifetime sub today, I'm a returning player, haven't played lotro since pre-Mom times so I wanna see what changed. I gonna install the game tonight, and if I can get to a gamestore I will buy Mom.  But I got time now since I have a lifetime sub :D And I had no mmo to play atm, I didn't want to return to wow, cause I will be burned out again after a few weeks, and the terrible community keeps me away from it..

I heard that the population of  my old server ( evernight EU) is still rlly healthy! so we will see.

And I'm sure there will come more content for LOTRO soon, it's a great game, turbine won't let it just die, if the invest a bid they can still make a lot of money with it. LOTRO is a strong IP, and I need to get to max level :o so I have a lot of content to get through :p see you all in middle earth!

Yeah, lotro isn't going to die any time soon.

It's way to iconic and in the spotlight to be cancelled. And besides, taking wow out of the equation it has a competitive population. With the upcoming hobbit movies and the recent acquisition from WB, more money will roll into their development coffers.

Now, whether or not the game is developed in a way that people will like is another thing entirely.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • junzo316junzo316 Member UncommonPosts: 1,712

Originally posted by xx19kilosold

... if the game continues to hemorage players like it has over the last 12 months.

Do you have proof to go along with this statement?  As far as I know, Iurbine hasn't released a population status.  Spouting off unsubstantiated rumors does not help the conversation.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

Originally posted by junzo316

... if the game continues to hemorage players like it has over the last 12 months.

Do you have proof to go along with this statement?  As far as I know, Iurbine hasn't released a population status.  Spouting off unsubstantiated rumors does not help the conversation.

Again, short memories of players. The game has always lost a bit and then with the new expansions or content, picks up.

So his fears are a bit unfounded.

This has ALWAYS happened in lotro. Heck, I myself have taken several breaks when I've found out that I didn't want to partake in the level cap content or found that I was essentially "done". Only to come back when more was added.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • junzo316junzo316 Member UncommonPosts: 1,712

Originally posted by Sovrath

Originally posted by junzo316

Again, short memories of players. The game has always lost a bit and then with the new expansions or content, picks up.

So his fears are a bit unfounded.

This has ALWAYS happened in lotro. Heck, I myself have taken several breaks when I've found out that I didn't want to partake in the level cap content or found that I was essentially "done". Only to come back when more was added.

That doesn't constitute a "hemorage", though.

• iank240iank240 Member Posts: 170

To conclude this, I decided to buy the lifetime sub.

I have a good bunch of people playing the game and getting to know each other and enjoying it.

What better way to play a game when not only is the game and content good, but there is some worthwhile banter and social recoil added into the mix.

• jawalijawali Member UncommonPosts: 195

Originally posted by iank240

To conclude this, I decided to buy the lifetime sub.

I have a good bunch of people playing the game and getting to know each other and enjoying it.

What better way to play a game when not only is the game and content good, but there is some worthwhile banter and social recoil added into the mix.

Is there possibility to buy lifetime sub? I logged today on my turbine account and max was 12 months.

I will for sure return to LOTRO (after about a yesr) but as I am not able to buy lifetime, I will buy 3 months and see how this game will be doing (if this game turns to f2p or hybrid like DDO buying 1 year sub could be aste of money, and there is not huge difference between buying 12 months and 4x 3 months subs)

greetings

• cormachcormach Member UncommonPosts: 98

The lifetime is not available right now, but, according to Turbine, may be available in the future. There's some speculation at http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?t=333037 as to what the future may hold.

• NirwylNirwyl Member Posts: 103

Anyone know what will happen to lifetime subs with the change to free to play? Do they get VIP access?

• AndraxxAndraxx Member UncommonPosts: 256

Originally posted by Nirwyl

Anyone know what will happen to lifetime subs with the change to free to play? Do they get VIP access?

Yes, full VIP access, including 500 free Turbine Points a month to spend in the new store once that goes live in the fall.

I paid $199 at launch and I'm still happy.

• I keep kicking myself for never buying lifetime sub.  Now it maybe too late with F2P model, but maybe it wont.  Who knows