Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A question for those who have given up Warcraft . What direction would you have liked to have see th

Comments

• EmoqqboyEmoqqboy Member UncommonPosts: 194

Think of WoW as a drug, that lots of peeps have gotten addicted to. They been using it over the years hooked onto it, they dont get the same high as that first dose anymore but they are still hooked. Everyone's looking for a replacement drug but they cant find one that can deliver.

<QQ moar plz. kkthxbai.>

• YilelienYilelien Member UncommonPosts: 324

I enjoyed WoW for what it was. I do still have a sub but not so much for the game anymore. But more for my community (guild members) that i have met and enjoyed to play the game with.

That said i feel that the game to begin with was alot more enjoyable that its current state. These days the game IMO has been dumbed down for the mass's.

Everyone wants the best loot and they feel that they have to right to it and that they only have to do a minimal amout to get it. While i understand this. I see why Blizz allows this (after all they have gotten 11 mil subs from this) i dont feel that it makes the game better.

Raids continue to get smaller and smaller. Again to make it easier for the mass's. I remember when i was a raid leader with 72 people in our raids. No vent and our guild typically had 30-40 people waiting to be cycled into the raid for the next boss. Was it crazy. Heck yes. I had typically 8 chat screens up just to keep up. But those are some of my fondest memories in my MMO carrier.

I would prefer that there is still content for those few (and i am no longer able to be one of those few as i have a 22 month old daughter and house and great dane and 2 bengal cats) that have the time/want to put in the hours to get that epic loot. And when i say epic. I mean loot that maybe 5% of the server population will see. I know that this is eliteism. But is there really anything wrong with that? I mean. I really want a ferrari, if i kick and scream enough does that mean i will get one? Hell no. If i want one, i need to work my tail off, save money and get lucky in my job and who knows.

I guess that my views are more old school. I have been around a while and seen games change. There isnt anything wrong with change, but again IMO as the pool of players becomes larger the games are beccoming easier. I cant say that i care for that. I prefer them to be harder, i want to work for my gear and when i see someone with "uber sword # 3" i want to say to myself HOLY CRAP that dude has a SWEET UBER SWORD. Not gee another dude with the best sword in game that every other person has as well cause it is easy as crap to get.

• TaoMcDohlTaoMcDohl Member UncommonPosts: 103

Originally posted by Yilelien

I enjoyed WoW for what it was. I do still have a sub but not so much for the game anymore. But more for my community (guild members) that i have met and enjoyed to play the game with.

That said i feel that the game to begin with was alot more enjoyable that its current state. These days the game IMO has been dumbed down for the mass's.

Everyone wants the best loot and they feel that they have to right to it and that they only have to do a minimal amout to get it. While i understand this. I see why Blizz allows this (after all they have gotten 11 mil subs from this) i dont feel that it makes the game better.

Raids continue to get smaller and smaller. Again to make it easier for the mass's. I remember when i was a raid leader with 72 people in our raids. No vent and our guild typically had 30-40 people waiting to be cycled into the raid for the next boss. Was it crazy. Heck yes. I had typically 8 chat screens up just to keep up. But those are some of my fondest memories in my MMO carrier.

I would prefer that there is still content for those few (and i am no longer able to be one of those few as i have a 22 month old daughter and house and great dane and 2 bengal cats) that have the time/want to put in the hours to get that epic loot. And when i say epic. I mean loot that maybe 5% of the server population will see. I know that this is eliteism. But is there really anything wrong with that? I mean. I really want a ferrari, if i kick and scream enough does that mean i will get one? Hell no. If i want one, i need to work my tail off, save money and get lucky in my job and who knows.

I guess that my views are more old school. I have been around a while and seen games change. There isnt anything wrong with change, but again IMO as the pool of players becomes larger the games are beccoming easier. I cant say that i care for that. I prefer them to be harder, i want to work for my gear and when i see someone with "uber sword # 3" i want to say to myself HOLY CRAP that dude has a SWEET UBER SWORD. Not gee another dude with the best sword in game that every other person has as well cause it is easy as crap to get.

This is a perfect example of several aspects of WoW and MMOs.

1) Many play MMOs, long after the MMO is "dead," simply for the community.  

2) Not every game is for everyone.  Not every MMO has to be about the one guy standing the middle of town while everyone drools over his unique armor.

3) We all look back with rose-colored goggles.

When I think back to vanilla WoW, nostalgia takes over.  I remember the first time I saw things, or did things.  When an MMO is new and shiny, not even lag and bugs can squander the moment (to an extent).  But then I think back to the days where I sat in ironforge for hours, looking for a group.  I recall the 3 hour Scholomance instances, hoping to god for my armor to drop, and it never does.  I remember having absolutely nothing else to do in the game, outside of grinding mats or BGs.  And when people say "wasn't it awesome to see that one guy with epic gear?"  I thought to myself, "Yeah, awesome for him.  I saw in IF for an hour trying to find one group, and I drooled over his gear for 30 seconds as I linked it in guild chat.  Then it was back to sitting on my butt looking for groups."

I remember a LOT of people who stopped playing WoW before BC because of that exact type of gameplay.  The consensus was "there's nothing to do!"  Vanilla WoW was a start, but it was a MESS.  

• NicooNicoo Member UncommonPosts: 236

The only thing for me that would bring me back personally is the TBC raiding. When it was hard and only good skilled guilds would make it far. Without that I dont play anymore. I absolutley hate WotLK raiding.. Everyone can do it, its just to boring.. Its fun the first few weeks when you clear the raid.. Then its just plain old boring again cause you notice everyone is doing it aswell.

Also take away 10 man and bring back only 25 man raiding.

Without those 2 I will NEVER EVER go back.

• DerWotanDerWotan Member Posts: 1,012

The Vanilla and BC road till 2.4 (hate raid gear for badges) but the list goes on so:

1. no Activision

2. no heroic dungeon access till respectful

3. keep the accessquests

4. 40, 72 men raids

5. no arena at all

6. no TCG

7. no splitted Sunwell

8. moderated! trade channel ->will never happen and I don't know why.

9. Keep Tigole as lead raiddesigner

10. the more class diversity the better

11. CC > ae fest

12. less marketing more quality

13. no achievements

14. no battlecrap#2 implementation

15. no cash shop

16. screw Wintergrasp ->open world PvP

17. splitting up PvE and PvP talents

18. no dual spec

19. making crafting useful

20. Highend sets which are looking like one.

sooo what would bring me back?

• 40 men raids

• TBC, Vanilla raiding style

• option to turn off the spy armory

• option to turn off the achievements

• closing down the cash shop

• getting rid off Activision

Will never ever happen so no way back.

We need a MMORPG Cataclysm asap, finish the dark age of MMORPGS now!

"Everything you're bitching about is wrong. People don't have the time to invest in corpse runs, impossible zones, or long winded quests. Sometimes, they just want to pop on and play."
    "Then maybe MMORPGs aren't for you."

• NytakitoNytakito Member Posts: 381

PVE or PVP, because the death blow to PVP was delivered pre-BC when they opened the battlegrounds and offered rewards for participation. 

For PVE, the release of BC was the beginning of the end. 

Lowering raids from 40 man to 25 man utterly destroyed raiding guilds.   

Everything beyond and after that were just nails in the coffin.  That includes token drops to exchange for gear etc...

Blizzard had a choice, make everything as accessibly as possible to the largest % of players, or keep things hardcore.  They chose the former over the later and IMO turned their backs on the playerbase that enabled WoW to succeed past launch.

"If I'd asked my customers what they wanted, they'd have said a faster horse." - Henry Ford

• rznkainrznkain Member Posts: 539

To some of the dissiullsioned on this thread when the hell was WoW ever hardcore? It's always been one of the easiest games on the mmog market they just made some things easier WoW raiding was NEVER hardcore lemme stress that again even when 40 man raids were in game it wasn't hardcore some of you need to learn what hardcore is because it never deserves to be in any sentance about WoW from the time it was released till present wanna talk hardcore go back to Eq1 with there 1 time a week at a set time spawns or Anarchy Online 1 time per 18 hour boss mob that always turned into a damage contest with various teams.

• KrasniKrasni Member Posts: 6

Yes, you can play WoW years from now and enyoy easy content with little time to play cos of family etc.

But would you change that for 1 month of that epic feeling and friendship you had then?

I would. Frodo could have walked to Mordor and throw that ring with no effort, but book would have had 3 pages.

Bring me adventure not fast food, I will play Cata ofc, but i am afraid it will not turn out good.

• tanoriltanoril Member Posts: 432

Originally posted by rznkain

To some of the dissiullsioned on this thread when the hell was WoW ever hardcore? It's always been one of the easiest games on the mmog market they just made some things easier WoW raiding was NEVER hardcore lemme stress that again even when 40 man raids were in game it wasn't hardcore some of you need to learn what hardcore is because it never deserves to be in any sentance about WoW from the time it was released till present wanna talk hardcore go back to Eq1 with there 1 time a week at a set time spawns or Anarchy Online 1 time per 18 hour boss mob that always turned into a damage contest with various teams.

Yea I don't get where all this nostalgia is coming from pre-bc but vanilla WoW was pretty softcore at the time it came out compared to the king of the mountain at that time (Everquest).  This is mentioned in another thread, but WoW got it's initial surge from the bnet kiddies/burned out EQ vets/Blizzard fans, not the hardcore MMO game player.  It's true, most of the players playing the game now didn't play in vanilla but I'm not sure that means it was a different type of player back then.  Some of the people here make it sound like Burning Crusade opened the floodgates to the 'casual' player.  WoW when it launched appealed to the casual player (remember how everyone was in love with the leveling process because you felt like you accomplished something if you only logged for an hour vs. EQ where it took a major time committment to get anything done?). 

All I see is anger from disgrutled pvp players wanting/hoping something from WoW that it's not.  WoW has always put player accessibility first, for good or bad. 

Originally posted by Krasni

Yes, you can play WoW years from now and enyoy easy content with little time to play cos of family etc.

But would you change that for 1 month of that epic feeling and friendship you had then?

I would. Frodo could have walked to Mordor and throw that ring with no effort, but book would have had 3 pages.

Bring me adventure not fast food, I will play Cata ofc, but i am afraid it will not turn out good.

Adventure to some is not adventure to others.  Perhaps others in WoW are currently experiencing that "epic feeling and friendship?"  Perhaps they just don't have anything better to play.  Perhaps they have no desire for a more hardcore MMO, and WoW suits their taste and availability.  Maybe they're just still there because their friends are still playing.  

And Frodo took the journey because he had the deed thrust upon him.  I'm fairly certain that, if he had a choice, he would've loved to just "simply walk into Mordor" without the need for Ninja Wizards or bears with lasers and toss the ring into the lava.  ;)

Not everyone has the desire, ability, or time to sit and dedicate 30 hours a week to an MMO.  

• NethermancerNethermancer Member Posts: 520

I don't play WoW for a huge amount of reason.....but i don't think they should change anything. I feel sorry for companies that try to make games for the "hardcore" (this is a ridiculous term for someone who plays video games)  MMO gamer because they are easily the hardest to keep happy. Nothing is good enough for them.......so Blizzard was really smart to gear the game more towards casual gamers. Don't change the thing Blizzard!!!

Playing: PO, EVE
    Waiting for: WoD
    Favourite MMOs: VG, EVE, FE and DDO
    Any person who expresses rage and loathing for an MMO is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae.

Originally posted by rznkain

Easy there tiger, nothing to get your panties in a bind over. 

The point most people seem to be making was there were certain key moments where Blizzard could have catered to the more hardcore style player, or focus on making their content more accessible to everybody, and they chose the route of accessiblity each and every time. 

"If I'd asked my customers what they wanted, they'd have said a faster horse." - Henry Ford

Originally posted by Nytakito

The point most people seem to be making was there were certain key moments where Blizzard could have catered to the more hardcore style player, or focus on making their content more accessible to everybody, and they chose the route of accessiblity each and every time. 

This, by itself, is a great point.  Of course, others have decided to add this makes WoW "stupid" and everyone who plays WoW is "stupid."  Because, of course, you cannot be accepted by the cliques unless you hate WoW.  

• sonoggisonoggi Member Posts: 1,119

Originally posted by yayitsandy

While theres plenty of people still happily playing Warcraft there are also plenty of people that have given up for one reason or another . I would like to ask those of you who are ex-WoWplayers what you would have done differently ? What would you have prefered the WoW of today to be like ?

new graphics engine

less gear dependence

more sandbox and world pvp

skill-based combat (aiming your spells, actively blocking and dodging, etc)

the moment WoW becomes this, i'll come running back. but it won't , and GW2 will be ready. GW2 is basically the end of WoW.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

Originally posted by heerobya

Originally posted by Kyleran

Originally posted by Tardcore

Originally posted by yayitsandy

While theres plenty of people still happily playing Warcraft there are also plenty of people that have given up for one reason or another . I would like to ask those of you who are ex-WoWplayers what you would have done differently ? What would you have prefered the WoW of today to be like ?

No arena. No instanced battlegrounds. NO super duper uber rediculous epic gear. Shaman still horde only, Paladin still ally only. To sum up, remove everything they have added from BC onwards.

Yeah, i'd go along with everythihg here and add one more, optional rule set servers, specifically a FFA PVP server.

I'm sorry Kyleran but FFA just makes absolutely no goddamn sense in Warcraft. None. 

Sure, maybe Orcs but that's it... 

I mean, I'm all for different server rule sets and such but they need to logically make sense. This one would not, at all, not even in the slightest. 

Not sure why you feel this way.  People said it didn't make sense in DAOC, but we who played on Mordred loved it, faction warfare be damned.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by TaoMcDohl

This, by itself, is a great point.  Of course, others have decided to add this makes WoW "stupid" and everyone who plays WoW is "stupid."  Because, of course, you cannot be accepted by the cliques unless you hate WoW.  

This is where I really differ I guess.  As an older MMO player, I don't mind that a game comes along and legitimizes my passtime.  Not that I care what other people think about what I do, but it sure is nice not to get the "oh he's a gamer" attitude, especially now that all of the people who used to snicker are now mainlining mafia wars.  I guess I just can't see hating Blizzard for making WoW and making it what it is..  I see that as kin to hate towards Henry Ford for inventing the assembly line, and, well to be honest, I like my car.

Anyway...

• PoachinatorPoachinator Member UncommonPosts: 80

Remove the cross server dungeon finder so I can meet people on my own server. Also make it so not any average joe can put together 10 and 25 man raids. Bring back a reason for guilds and community. Outlaw GearScore and Damage Meters, make classes more unique then just Tank/Healer/DPS. Give me a reason to trap things again, give me a reason to sheep things again, give me a reason for CC! The game has become to easy and everyone is evolving into just PUGN it! Make it so there is more to do then just ICC & PVP when I hit 80. OH AND WHAT HAPPENED TO OPEN WORLD PVP??? TARREN MILL is no longer under attack... Sucks.

• karat76karat76 Member UncommonPosts: 1,000

Simple dump raids and the epeen gearscore system. Only thing that shoulld take more than one group is pvp. Too much drama na dlack of civility in the raiding community. Not exactly a shining example of gamers should behave.

• TsathogguaTsathoggua Member Posts: 100

More events like The Blood Plague.

More in-depth Crafting.

More out-of-combat things to do.

• musicmannmusicmann Member UncommonPosts: 1,095

WOW is good if it's your first time ever playing, going from 1 to 80. After that, it's nothing more than gearscores, achievements and a daily grind on the old mouse wheel dealing with rude and obnoxious people. WOW has never been nothing more than a retarted end game gear grind.

• TsathogguaTsathoggua Member Posts: 100

Originally posted by Poachinator

Remove the cross server dungeon finder so I can meet people on my own server. Also make it so not any average joe can put together 10 and 25 man raids. Bring back a reason for guilds and community. Outlaw GearScore and Damage Meters, make classes more unique then just Tank/Healer/DPS. Give me a reason to trap things again, give me a reason to sheep things again, give me a reason for CC! The game has become to easy and everyone is evolving into just PUGN it! Make it so there is more to do then just ICC & PVP when I hit 80. OH AND WHAT HAPPENED TO OPEN WORLD PVP??? TARREN MILL is no longer under attack... Sucks.

Ah :/ the good old days of being a level 20 in Tarren Mill trying to help a few Horde 60s fend off Over 9000 Alliance.

• greenbow54greenbow54 Member UncommonPosts: 128

Take the WOTLK team and fire them.

Doing the same raid 2 times a week on 1 toon is retarded (10 and 25). Add in that I once enjoyed playing alts and you have players burning out on a new raid after 3 weeks. In the case of TOC, i was running the same instance 8 times in one week on only 2 characters, sometimes more with crappy undergeared toons. There shouldn't be a "hard mode" of an instance. Bad players shouldn't be on the same content as people in top 25 world guilds.

Make every raid on the level of Sunwell and I'll go back and play. BC raids were awesome IMO, bring back that design team +40 mans and I'll be there.

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

What I'd like to see that would make me come back? Hmm...

• no more teleporting except by warlock summoning, mage portal or hearthstone. The instant travel is one of the reasons why the game was no fun anymore for me

• bigger challenges for the non-casuals. I liked to have dungeons to look forward to, you heard stories about, where people with wondrous loot came from and you know you wouldn't have a chance yet would you enter it. But when you finally enter it, and try to kill a boss for a few days and finally drop him, then that's a spectacular moment.

• no more flying mounts. I dislike them. What is a gameworld good for if it became irrelevant for me? I mean you'd nowadays instant travel anyway, but if you wouldn't for any reason, you'd hop on your flying mount, point it roughly in the right direction, go afk for 5 minutes, and when you are back at the screen you're at your destination. Oh the joy

• less item shop stuff. It annoys me. In early WoW, you could get everything ingame just by playing well. Those days are gone.

• more fog of war on the map. Like, if you haven't been at a place, it's not on your map. It annoys me that even the newest lvl 1 character I create already knows the 100% exact shape of each continent, even if he never was on that continent before. It makes no sense and kills any sense of exploration

• new classes, I know the old ones too much

• dungeons more difficult

• no cross-realm pve

• bigger differences between the races

And probably some other stuff. In short: the game is not anymore what it was. Some changes are good, some are bad. I don't like it anymore, I don't play it anymore since about 1 1/2 years. I won't come back either I guess.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

I would really have liked it if they had slowly added in some sandbox features over time... like player housing and territorial conquest. They could have done it in a way that was instanced and I wouldn't have cared.

I just got completely fed up with the raid-centric gameplay towards the end. I used to raid sooooo much and I just can't stand it anymore. Because of that one simple fact, I can no longer enjoy WOW to the extent I once did.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

Originally posted by TaoMcDohl

Tao.. I don't see wow hater clicques as much as I see WoW was made by God clicques..  The problem I have with WoW as my friends have expressed as well is that we accept that WoW is like McD's.. it's a huge gathering of people that like the easiest and quickest way to satisify their appetiate.. KUDO's to McD's and WoW for serving the masses.. But dont' dear sit there and try to pump sunshine up my backside trying to convince me that WoW and McD's are the BEST there is for gourmet 5 star cousine..  Being the biggest doesn't make you the best.. Walmart is the biggest store chain.. McD's is the biggest fast food chain.. General Motors is the biggest auto company....  NEWSFLASH.. NONE of those giants are the BEST quality in their industry..

I treat the WoW fanbase the same as I would treat the McD fanbase.. /facepalm