Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Roper Teases New Cryptic MMO

Comments

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527

TONIGHT ON ROPER'S HOUSE OF SCREW-UPS!!!!

• fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240

I am starting to think the method of game making at Cryptic involves a dart board...

"What IP should we kill off next?"

*Throws a dart....*

"It landed on Never Winter Nights..."

"Well, there you go. Never Winter Nights shall be our next game!"

*turns quickly to the dev team*

"Ok, William, Sammy and Jeff, Start reskinning STO with a NWN look..."

"On it!"

"Bill, you and Pete run around in STO and Champions. Oh and Bill, hint to the public that you are playtesting the new MMO..."

"Yessir!"

"Now lets go team! We have 3 months to pump out this turd!"

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630

Honestly, is there anyone - anyone at all - who believes what Cryptic says, after their last two games?

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056

Originally posted by fyerwall

"Now lets go team! We have 3 months to pump out this turd!"

I find whale sounds to be very relaxing. Mind you - I have never taken three months.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092

I find his pose to be very familiar. I can't place it.

I'm guessing it doesn't reference his twitter comment, though.

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

I'm just glad I don't have to feel "bad". Having seen Cryptic's last two releases there's positively no way I'd purchase a MMO released by them currently. I've always wanted a "real" (lol) D&D MMO to be made and thankfully, if this is a FR MMO, I don't have to worry about it. I mean, Cryptic has demonstrated they aren't into complex, heavily fleshed out MMOs. THey prefer light, fast and casual. Cool. Add to this that IF it is a FR MMO it'll be using the new FR as opposed to the old one I grew up with and I couldn't give a rats patooty about anything D&D 4th edition, which has a ruleset that many have pointed out to be an easy mode transition set to MMO creation (I.E., Wizards fully planned on having D&D 4th being used in an MMO and thus made up systems to reflect that desire).

Scary how complexity seems to frighten the modern MMO game designer (with 1 or 2 notable exceptions) and the majority of the gamers these days. *shrug*

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

Originally posted by Khalathwyr

Scary how complexity seems to frighten the modern MMO game designer (with 1 or 2 notable exceptions) and the majority of the gamers these days. *shrug*

You can't have a massively popular game if you require intelligence and patience to play it. It's the same principle as feature films.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• ThestacheThestache Member UncommonPosts: 35

How bout:

Realms of Fail

Failworld

Champioins of Fail

Will NEVER get a Cryptic MMO after the 2 horrible games they released this year, how can they afford a new one?

• dippitydodahdippitydodah Member Posts: 130

The giant machine gets turned on again creaking and groaning as it's the dial is cranked to 11 and the conveyor belt of crap starts whirring by at an insane velocity.   "Whip those mindless drones faster!!" Roper exclaims, as the sound of keyboards clicking away echoes through the sweat shop.   "We have a deadline people, there's potential customers out there with their pants down just ready for us to cram our crap back up their asses!!  double quick time boys!!

at least that's my imagining of the cryptic studios after the rapid gunfire of utter trash releases.

Originally posted by Thestache

Will NEVER get a Cryptic MMO after the 2 horrible games they released this year, how can they afford a new one?

Because they made money on the other two?

I'm not saying they did. I am saying it is possible, and it would explain their practices.

Originally posted by dippitydodah

The giant machine gets turned on again creaking and groaning as it's the dial is cranked to 11 and the conveyor belt of crap starts whirring by at an insane velocity.   "Whip those mindless drones faster!!" Roper exclaims, as the sound of keyboards clicking away echoes through the sweat shop.   "We have a deadline people, there's potential customers out there with their pants down just ready for us to cram our crap back up their asses!!  double quick time boys!!

at least that's my imagining of the cryptic studios after the rapid gunfire of utter trash releases.

"Fast hands means less whipping!"

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

YAY! Another conveyor belt MMO by Cryptic!

In all seriousness, I hope that it's not a Forgotten Realms MMO. That's one of my favorite DnD settings and I do not want to see it get destroyed by these losers.

• TsnowTsnow Member Posts: 74

Cryptic lost me as a customer for life!!!

Fool me once....shame on you((CO)),

Fool me twice....shame on me((STO))

I am not stupid enough to be fooled by that fast food MMO crapper outer again.....EVER AGAIN!!!!.

"One word, Thundercougarfalconbird."

• coomscooms Member Posts: 219

Surprised they have enough money to be making a new mmo considering what Star trek is like rofl. I guess the CoH gravy train is still rolling in from people. 

• lethyslethys Member UncommonPosts: 585

This is literally the worst video game company that I have ever seen.  Let's see another IP ruined on that horrific engine filled with 1000 instances of the same crappy area.

I'm tired of the damn nonsense already.  This is the least innovative company for any product, ever.  Just stop making games already, it's unfair that they take advantage of the mentally challenged with lifetime subs and can profit off their stupidity.

• storm-dragonstorm-dragon Member Posts: 157

Well love them or hate them Cryptic is flushed with cash right now, they are one of the richer development houses. And we will hear about either the announcement of NWN Online or Iron Kingdoms Online. very soon..my money is on Iron Kingdoms simply because Jack E is a huge Privateer press fan, and my friend who is actually on the project has been working on Steampunk Train models for the past six months.

This sword here at my side dont act the way it should
    Keeps calling me its master, but I feel like its slave
    Hauling me faster and faster to an early, early grave
    And it howls! it howls like hell!

• Southpaw.GamerSouthpaw.Gamer Member CommonPosts: 572

Is it sad that after reading the news headline name I instantly knew 90+% of the community would shit all over it? With good reason I might add.

I must have powers.  Fear me!

Full Sail University - Game Design

• 41eX41eX Member UncommonPosts: 99

Originally posted by Tsnow

Cryptic lost me as a customer for life!!!

Fool me once....shame on you((CO)),

Fool me twice....shame on me((STO))

I am not stupid enough to be fooled by that fast food MMO crapper outer again.....EVER AGAIN!!!!.

Actually they fooled me once with STO and I have enough - never again!

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

Originally posted by MMO_Doubter

I just need a name, so I can cross it off my list of upcoming releases in which I have interest.

The only name you need is Cryptic, that should be enough! This guy is turning into the new Smedley, wrecking IPs and trying to squeeze blood from a stone when it comes to fleecing the playerbase.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• AericynAericyn Member UncommonPosts: 394

While I don't hate CO, actually rather enjoy it for what it is. I also don't want Cryptic on a Forgotten Realms title. FR is one of the most nostalgic, fascinating, and complex fantasy worlds. Would be a shame to simply apply a DnD skin to Champions guts.

It deserves so much more. :(

I am not sure there is a current game studio out there I would trust with Forgotten Realms. Think there will be a lot of apprehension no matter who gets it. Ah well, there is always Copernicus from 38 Studios to look forward to someday...

• Death1942Death1942 Member UncommonPosts: 2,587

Originally posted by Serpentar

Forgotten Realms? Been done to death in my opinon but many love the Setting, though it being Cryptic will cuase rage. Honestly..I think they need to slow down a tad with their rampant MMO releases.

their idea was to build an engine and release a swarm of MMO's off of it using the base code, cutting dev time considerably.

However this has lead to some...questionable games being released and i honestly don't think it was handled in the right way (it's a good idea, just needed better implementation).

I do not however see them slowing down until one of their MMO's shuts down (and i do expect one to do so).

MMO wish list:

-Changeable worlds
    -Solid non level based game
    -Sharks with lasers attached to their heads

• Vagrant_ZeroVagrant_Zero Member Posts: 1,190

Originally posted by Aericyn

I am not sure there is a current game studio out there I would trust with Forgotten Realms. Think there will be a lot of apprehension no matter who gets it. Ah well, there is always Copernicus from 38 Studios to look forward to someday...

Seems like a no-brainer to me. Bioware. They're the ones that made Forgotten Realms big in the first place.

Originally posted by Vagrant_Zero

Originally posted by Aericyn

Seems like a no-brainer to me. Bioware. They're the ones that made Forgotten Realms big in the first place.

<.<

>.>

Um, no they didn't. Forgotten Realms was "made big" by TSR...

And if you're talking video games, I'd easily argue that teh Gold Box series of games did more for the FR setting. Either way, as I said above, they won't be using MY Forgotten Realms they'll be using the new 4th edition version of which to me doesn't exist. So I'm cool with a company like Cryptic using it as I won't be playing it..

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

Originally posted by alexanys1982

Heres whats gonna end up happening.

Total disaster focused on making as much money as possible off the box sales. Lifetime subs added in for some fat juicy cash from the sheeple. Oh, and the destruction of yet another I.P.

When will the industry stop hiring this guy? Hes living proof of the old saying, its not what you know its who you know.

Not sure you can put the blame squarely on him (Roper). As far as I remember he had little to do with the development of STO (Or CO I think as well) and came onboard to both titles after they had launched. That's not to say ignore his past record, of course. Just to say Cryptic w/o him has done a fair job of putting out mediocre at best.

Chavez y Chavez

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

MUAHAHAHA MUAHAHAHAHA MUAHAHAHA MUAHAHAHAHA MUAHAHAHAHA