Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWG Official Forums - What is the deal?

SWGmodAlphaSWGmodAlpha Member Posts: 126

When ever I go to the offical forums at

http://forums.station.sony.com/swg/

My DSL connection gets killed after clicking a few links to the point that no one on the network can surf anywhere.

I have posted in the tech support forums with no replies from anyone and I have set IE8 to settings as suggested by SWG.

I can go anywhere else on the web and use forums yet this site is a problem.

Was wondering if anyone else had issues.

Feels like I am being hindered on purpose in some way.

This issue is especially a problem when I am logged in.

Comments

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Chances are your router is hitting it's WAN connection cap, meaning the maximum amount of concurrent external connections your router can make. Every IP:port combination requires a new connection, and these can run out fast if a particular site requires a lot of connections to be opened for whatever reason. You'll notice this on sites that are very heavy on ads or that access a lot of external content.

You'll notice that when this happens, you can still access sites that still have active connections, as your router simply can't open new connections. You can test this by opening google in your browser first, going to the SOE site to kill your connection, thengo back to the google home page. If the google home page loads fine, but other sites don't, then it means you're router can't create new active connections until some of the active ones time out.

This also happen extremely easily if someone on your network is running a torrent program.

I have this same problem with my router, but for different sites.

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092

Jerry Seinfeld is a SWG fan???

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384

People still use internet explorer?

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

• BadgerSmakerBadgerSmaker Member Posts: 629

Maybe try turning off signatures in your profile settings?

• ProsonProson Member UncommonPosts: 544

Originally posted by Ceridith

Chances are your router is hitting it's WAN connection cap, meaning the maximum amount of concurrent external connections your router can make. Every IP:port combination requires a new connection, and these can run out fast if a particular site requires a lot of connections to be opened for whatever reason. You'll notice this on sites that are very heavy on ads or that access a lot of external content.

You'll notice that when this happens, you can still access sites that still have active connections, as your router simply can't open new connections. You can test this by opening google in your browser first, going to the SOE site to kill your connection, thengo back to the google home page. If the google home page loads fine, but other sites don't, then it means you're router can't create new active connections until some of the active ones time out.

This also happen extremely easily if someone on your network is running a torrent program.

I have this same problem with my router, but for different sites.

Can this happend when playing games aswell? Sometimes when im playing UT3 or Mount and Blade MP my router just resets kinda. Dosent happend that often but its quiet annoying.

Currently Playing Path of Exile

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

This happens to me with the Steam overlay when I play Bad Company 2 or something. Running games outside of Steam (that doesn't require it to be logged on) fixed that, disabling overlay didn't really help much since it seems to still connect to the community database often. OP, do you happen to have SWG through Steam?