Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to return to Eve but... .

KarliarKarliar Member UncommonPosts: 20

I played Eve years ago and enjoyed it.  I would like to do manufacturing, or trading  but I have read in different places that they are very difficult to begin and tough to make ISK in because of the need to work in 0.0 space.  I really do want to try Eve again.  Any information on how to begin a manufactoring and/or trading career will be heeded and appreciated. 

Thanks.

Comments

• xS0u1zxxS0u1zx Member Posts: 209

Originally posted by Karliar

I played Eve years ago and enjoyed it.  I would like to do manufacturing, or trading  but I have read in different places that they are very difficult to begin and tough to make ISK in because of the need to work in 0.0 space.  I really do want to try Eve again.  Any information on how to begin a manufactoring and/or trading career will be heeded and appreciated. 

Thanks.

Well a safer way would be grinding some rep via missions in high secuirty space and setup a pos.   If  you want more indepth manufacturing you will need to join up with an alliance and find a moon in their space somewhere that you can set it up.   Remember though it requires a fuck ton of fuel and a good isk flow to get started.  It's a lot of work and a lot of responsibility.   It can be attacked at any time which makes you have to start from scratch almost instantly.   So make sure you do your homework but the high sec idea would be best for starting out.   It gives some experience while you meet people.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Karliar

Thanks.

Part of the making money is exploiting market opportunity and any other person venturing into your business is unnecessary competition. I guess you see the problem now and why it is 'difficult'...

And now, you definitely do not need to be a part of the corp, alliance or be in 0.0 space.

• KarliarKarliar Member UncommonPosts: 20

Thanks.  I like the idea of staying in the safe zones until I reacquaint with the game.  I will do a bit more reading.

• Kalin_KurKalin_Kur Member Posts: 9

Trading doesn't require too much but a little capital and maybe a hauler to start with.

I'd suggest run some missions so that you get both standings and isk. See what you need for missions. IE Ammo.

You can usually buy it cheaper in a hub like jita or nearby and haul it back to the station and put it up for sale for more.

Either way explore the market try different items. Buy orders can net you cheap materials / trade items as long as you don't tie up too much of your isk. You'll sometimes need to be patient for items to sell but you can get more.

Its a very similar thing for manufacturing as you are really just trading with stuff you happened to build.

• DevilXaphanDevilXaphan Member UncommonPosts: 1,144

Suggest you read this first:

http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Research_and_manufacturing

Then start looking for research mission agents here:

http://eve-agents.com/

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

Oh yes, its quite easy to get into industry and manufacturing straight away, so long as you also learn market trading! 

When I first started to play and made friends with a bunch of other people who were new, I remember one guy, very exited, telling me that he reprocessed his loot into minerals and manufactured some ammo with it! and the most exciting thing was that he put the ammo up for sale and people were actually buying it!... and so he started his journey into Eve with production and marketing.

But I agree with the other poster though,  Its worth doing missions first work up to maybe level 2 mission, this will ensure you some cash flow and give you a good understanding of combat.

Knowledge is the first thing to conquer in Eve, you can either teach yourself (by doing things like missions) or take short cuts and let others teach you.  Just be aware that what other people say is usually only about 20% fact.

• KarliarKarliar Member UncommonPosts: 20

Thanks!  I just signed on for the free trial.  If I like it half as much as I did the first time I played EVE  I will ressurect my old account and build a trader. 

Thanks for  the links too. 

Hope to see you guys in game.

• KeyzzaniKeyzzani Member Posts: 31

Trading is very easy to get into. You don't need a lot of skill points, nor a lot of ISK to start. It's nice to get a few skills to reduce broker fees and sale taxes, but it's not mandatory to max out these skills. Trading is also a profession that will give you one of the best ISK per hour played ratios - and this is really important. Your time is valuable and you should always find ways to earn the most amount of ISK, while spending the least amount of time doing it.

That being said, if you want to be a successful trader you will need to do some research to find the really profitable items to trade. This is also the reason why a lot of people stay away from it, they rather do something like mining, mission running or ratting since it doesn't really require any sort of research.

As for manufacturing, it goes hand in hand with trading. You have to get materials to build your stuff and you have to sell finished products. The best way to go about doing this is that you buy your materials with buy orders and sell products using sell orders - this way you can really maximize your profits. Another really important thing is that you have the skill Production Efficiency preferably at level 5 and you must learn how to use spreadsheets. You should always know exactly how much it costs you to build something (including factory fees or POS fuel and even sale taxes). A lot of people who do manufacture actually produce items at a loss, because they can't be bothered to do a simple spreadsheet and check if they are actually making a profit.

Another very important thing is that you are building items usings researched blueprints. If possible use original blueprints (BPO), but blueprint copies are OK too (BPC), as long as you don't pay too much for them. The vast majority of unresearched blueprints have a base waste factor of 10%. This means that a lot of materials will be wasted when building items. To coutner this, you need to have a researched BPO (or BPC) to material level (ME) around 10 or 20. This will in most cases bring your waste amount to less than 1%.

Manufacturing also has an incredible span of things you can build. From small ammo charges which can be built for few hundred ISK and up to capital ships where you need several billion ISK worth of materials. So it's both easy to get into for beginners and there is plenty of room to grow and expand your ventures.