Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any one else think we reached our limit on graphics?

Comments

• eburneburn Member Posts: 740

RAM is about to become useless with speedy solid state drives. 20 channel (single) chips are on the way (Just to compare your average single processor is a 2 channel chip, dual made it 4, quad made it 8..) 64 bit architecture hasn't really been touched in regard to gaming (not talking N64 stuff..) and 3D technology will soon have the whole world walking around like Roy Orbison.

I think this era is done, but we're due a brink like back in the mid-90s when dedicated graphic cards were finally getting beefy.

Then graphics will be less about 'cartoony like WoW' or 'real like AoC' which are both dumb arguments. BUT finally true graphic advancements like interactive landscapes, realistic scale and scope, and for gaming in general more processes for AI and other interactions.

It's not an end, just another watershed.

I kill other players because they're smarter than AI, sometimes.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

http://sauerbraten.org/

this my friend is what we will soon see its a new techno

330 some mb download if you are a fps maniac

go try this game ,the music is good for those that like that style

i run that game everything maxed at 200 fps check the insane quality

its open source .

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=532 this dude and his team were workick on itec 6 with some feature based on this techno

he speaks about it and having went there i can say the eye candy is just starting!

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by wankydrake

After looking at crysis2 screenshots i dont see in the next year and up of graphics really geting better then that i know a lot of small details could get improved but unless the whole 3D glasses catch on i just cant see it geting higher then we are now.

Please, there is a lot to come yet :)

Have you seen those Nvidia movies for 480 GTX in dx 11?

And that still is nowhere close to what await us. My prediction is that we will see movie like graphics within 10 years that makes current graphics looks like Amiga graphics.

It is true that graphics have improved a lot but we are really seeing a revolution there right now. And nano processor is around the corner.

Funny enough a buddy said the same thing about some Amiga games and he were as wrong as you are now. 

Virtual reality will probably come also but right now is the harddrives and memory just not fast enough. But there is happening a lot with them too, Solid state will actually be old technology in 5 years, or at least is that what the experts predicts.

The general rules about computer is that they will get faster, with more memory and better graphics. Right now is the processor and harddrives bottlenecks but there are some new and interesting thing there that will come out soon. 

• Death1942Death1942 Member UncommonPosts: 2,587

Originally posted by negentropy

Reached the limit on creativity? Yes

a self imposed limit it seems...

MMO wish list:

-Changeable worlds
    -Solid non level based game
    -Sharks with lasers attached to their heads

• negentropynegentropy Member Posts: 241

Originally posted by Death1942

If only. I'm pretty much of the mindset that game developers these days are simply not bright enough to take it to the next level.

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. -Winston Churchill

If only. I'm pretty much of the mindset that game developers these days are simply not bright enough to take it to the next level.

Developers have pretty large scopes and very few limits in the intelligence and creative department. Going to a design school you meet a lot of people with different aspirations. It's when you meet tech directors and producers who want a safe bet rather than a wild gamble.. When you begin to realize the crap filter a good idea gets rung through. Time is a pretty big enemy as well.

• DaywolfDaywolf Member Posts: 749

something like that, but the next level is dictated by the publishers/investors. Devs only get free reign if they go indi... if they don't mind eating a lot of mac and cheese at least.

Originally posted by eburn

RAM is about to become useless with speedy solid state drives.

Coming, or the ones already here? There are solid state drives, but they wear out fast, each time sector data is rewritten it inches to the end of its life. Great for a laptop storage drive with moderate use, but memory? hmmm... eventually, but until then there is but the RAM drive.

M59, UO, EQ1, WWIIOL, PS, EnB, SL, SWG. MoM, EQ2, AO, SB, CoH, LOTRO, WoW, DDO+ f2p's, Demo’s & indie alpha's.

• BarbarbarBarbarbar Member UncommonPosts: 271

Originally posted by Sovrath

Originally posted by cpc71783

Originally posted by zymurgeist

We're not even close to having reached our limit. What we face right now is that companies like ATI and nVidia are in competition every year to see who can crank out more poly's, and the problem with this is that it takes these monstrous power hungry video card processors to handle those poly's. We're essentially limiting ourselves, and these companies are making a lot of money every year by requiring that gamers buy these new graphics cards in order to keep up--in order to process those few extra poly's.

The main problem with this is that poloygon's are limited in the way that they can be processed and still LOOK good. We have to use things like anti aliasing and anistropic filtering to make graphics utilizing polygons look even halfway decent, and this is a total failure if you don't have a high end graphics card.

There's new technology in the works to do away with poly's all together and the extremely expensive video cards along with them, but do you think nVidia and ATI will allow that to happen? Probably not until they figure out a way to make money off of the next technology.

Graphics that LOOK ten times better and require very little processing can be run mostly by software and require next to nothing from a video processor stand point. It's just like our current vehicles and the need for OIL. Oil companies aren't going to let alternative means of transportation ruin their current monopoly, and all at the cost of hindering our technological advancement.

Down with the man, the power, and the greed!

Still waiting on my 200 MPG carburator

Trust me if you could run decent graphics on an intel GMA video chip someone would be doing it.

There are no miracle technologies. Everything is a development of something that already existed.  

You sure about that? Check out Vexels (essentially pixels) and their use in UNLIMITED detail. Unlimited detail being produced without the need of a video card.

Unlimited detail uses pixels, or vexels instead of polygons, and renders an unlimited amount of detail in a virtual world. It does this by only rendering what is visible on the screen, instead of rendering the entire world around you all at the same time:

Eat your words.

The problem I see with unlimited detail is that developers will need to support it. I think in one of the interviews they said that they had approached some video card developers but that those developers didn't seem interested.

They  need to make it so that it becomes so good that developers couldn't think about NOT including this tech.

Or they ignore it and suddenly Google has made a new awesome graphics card.

• BarbarbarBarbarbar Member UncommonPosts: 271

The danish comedian Victor Borge was once asked why he always stuck to the same material. He answered that he found it easier to change the audience than the material.

And that's our problem, all these epic generic story arcs are new to all the kids coming into the gaming scene. Stay there for 10 years and you've seen it all. I think that won't change much.

Originally posted by Daywolf

Coming, or the ones already here? There are solid state drives, but they wear out fast, each time sector data is rewritten it inches to the end of its life. Great for a laptop storage drive with moderate use, but memory? hmmm... eventually, but until then there is but the RAM drive.

They are actually not that bad but there is a limit on how long they will last. I have 4 raided myself, I do realize that they can go and therefor decided to use raid to keep my data safe. I so far have used them a year without any problems, and I hope they will work as fine for few more until something faster comes out.

But a flashdrive is not the future harddrive everyone is waiting for. It is still slow and small. there are other drives in testing right now that outperforms them by far both in size and speed but they are still a few years off, maybe 3.

It is clear that magnetic harddrives are on their last run, it is very old technology right now that already have reached it's limit. But there are not one but several different solutions for that, IBM is using liquid crystal for the writing to mention one.

If we can get a memory so fast and large that we need no ram it would affect the games of the future a lot. I do think that will happen but current flash drives are not that good yet, not nearly. In 5-10 years that will most likely change and that would finally kill of all zones in MMOs since the game is in the memory all the time, it will make a big impact on MMOs. But it wont happen on this side of 2015 and even that is very optimistic.

• GamerAeonGamerAeon Member Posts: 567

Crystalline structures in computers are the future

from storage to processing it's the way things are going as well as using Photonic rays to transmit the data (Laser lights)

But as the above poster said we're a ways off from all that til then we're just in one of those Transitional phases.

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056

You sure about that? Check out Vexels (essentially pixels) and their use in UNLIMITED detail. Unlimited detail being produced without the need of a video card.

Unlimited detail uses pixels, or vexels instead of polygons, and renders an unlimited amount of detail in a virtual world. It does this by only rendering what is visible on the screen, instead of rendering the entire world around you all at the same time:

Eat your words.

Very interesting video.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• ZzuluZzulu Member Posts: 452

Yes, of course we will see better graphics in the future.

Crysis 2 looks about on par with Crysis, so I don't know why you even bring it up.

We already have the capability to create amazing graphics, we're just waiting for the hardware to catch up to the average consumer. Once more powerful graphics cards and processors enter the market (and they do every year) we'll see increases in graphical quality just like we have over the past years.

We are NOWHERE NEAR the cap for stunning visuals yet, and I'd say we're still at the beginning of the journey when it comes to it in games. Everything from animations to effects to facial animations and textures and shaders are still in their infancy.

Originally posted by GamerAeon

Crystalline structures in computers are the future

from storage to processing it's the way things are going as well as using Photonic rays to transmit the data (Laser lights)

But as the above poster said we're a ways off from all that til then we're just in one of those Transitional phases.

IBM thinks so, Samsung actually have a small version ready for cell phones. But there are other things in working too and it is hard to decide who will win at this point.

But I also think that this is the most likely technology, Illustrated science had a big article about it recently.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Once real-time rendering of graphics is on-par with what is capable in pre-rendered CGI then we'll reach the "limit" of out current graphical technologies.

• ZyllosZyllos Member UncommonPosts: 537

Actually, I do not think we will ever reach a limit on graphics.

If we can take what our eyes can see and enhance that beyond what we can see, then that means we can extend the limit of graphics beyond of we visiblely see which means we can not find or see a comparible limit.

But what really arises from this is how practical is it? If it takes several seconds to render something, then it is not very useful to display it in real time. And most video games these days, if not all, are real time.

I believe we need to turn the focus away from higher polygon counts to better art (even though high polygon counts do help in this regard) and gameplay development.

MMOs Played: I can no longer list them all in the 500 character limit.

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

Not until I step foot into a holodeck.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• NightCloakNightCloak Member UncommonPosts: 452

As stated before, development cost and time are bigger problems and limitations.

Our brains look for patterns and are trained to see them. Repeat textures and repeat objects stick out like sore thumbs.

Also, when objects and textures become unique and none are reused in a game, then you will start seeing some vast improvements in the way things look.

Its not just what the hardware can do that makes graphics look better.

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056

Originally posted by Zyllos

I believe we need to turn the focus away from higher polygon counts to better art (even though high polygon counts do help in this regard) and gameplay development.

I concur.

Gameplay especially seems to be given a very low priority in MMOs and other big budget games.While things like 'Portal', 'World of Goo' and various web games provide actual fun.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

Originally posted by Daywolf

something like that, but the next level is dictated by the publishers/investors. Devs only get free reign if they go indi... if they don't mind eating a lot of mac and cheese at least.

Originally posted by eburn

RAM is about to become useless with speedy solid state drives.

Coming. Late last year there were some newer developments in magnetic plastics and nano rod configurations. All that's fancy talk in saying the developers of that technology have figured out how to micro manage the "reason" why solid state works and can hone it. There's a lot of testing on bottlenecking in the memory of computers at the moment to that looks really promising.

Originally posted by MMO_Doubter

I concur.

Gameplay especially seems to be given a very low priority in MMOs and other big budget games.While things like 'Portal', 'World of Goo' and various web games provide actual fun.

I don't see why we can't have both.

But graphics engines are getting so complexed that fewer games uses their own. It is likely that future games will be based on one of a few engines to save money to put into other parts of the game in the future.

As for the fun part that is a very different problem. For not so long ago were games made by gamers for gamers. Now most games are made by large corps like EA and Activision. Gamers who makes a game they want to play have a higher chance of making a fun game then suits who makes something they think will sell.

I hope a few good games will show them the error of their ways.

Originally posted by Zyllos

Actually, I do not think we will ever reach a limit on graphics.

If we can take what our eyes can see and enhance that beyond what we can see, then that means we can extend the limit of graphics beyond of we visiblely see which means we can not find or see a comparible limit.

But what really arises from this is how practical is it? If it takes several seconds to render something, then it is not very useful to display it in real time. And most video games these days, if not all, are real time.

There is an end to everything but it is a bit there yet.

Anyone who read the Red Dwarf book "Better than life" know what I am talking about. When you can't see the difference between real life and graphics we are there. That is a far way yet.

There is other parameters to this also. We still havn't got a MMO with actual seasons for one thing. Dx 10 allows it to snow (and then I mean for it to start snow and turn the land into winterlandscape, not just snow in a premade landscape). 'no one has used anything like that in a MMO yet but it would be cool to have realistic weather and seasons.

• IrishIrish Member UncommonPosts: 259

I remember playing Goldeneye and wondering if it could ever get any prettier than that. I just couldn't  comprehend anything better at the time.

I think graphically, games will continue to look more and more lifelike, until they cease being gamelike.

• AercusAercus Member UncommonPosts: 775

Originally posted by Loke666

Originally posted by MMO_Doubter

I concur.

I don't see why we can't have both.

But graphics engines are getting so complexed that fewer games uses their own. It is likely that future games will be based on one of a few engines to save money to put into other parts of the game in the future.

As for the fun part that is a very different problem. For not so long ago were games made by gamers for gamers. Now most games are made by large corps like EA and Activision. Gamers who makes a game they want to play have a higher chance of making a fun game then suits who makes something they think will sell.

I hope a few good games will show them the error of their ways.

There's plenty of complex games both out there and in the pipeline. They usually aren't blockbusters tho..

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

Games will keep looking more and more realistic until eventually no one will be able to tell the difference. And then there will be something else to push the boundaries like full 3D or something we haven't even comprehended yet. Personally I just hope I'm around long enough to play MMOs on a holodeck! image