Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No MP regen: how will it affect tanks and healers?

1235»

Comments

• NytakitoNytakito Member Posts: 381

OP: tl;dr

But to answer your question, it will have no effect.  Parties should work just the way they did in XI as far as having to conserve resources (particularly MP) in order to maximize XP.  Unless XIV gets rid of XP chains, which I highly doubt.

If you played FFXI and you rested up to full mana after every mob, you never even got to XP chain #1, let alone 4 or 5.

"If I'd asked my customers what they wanted, they'd have said a faster horse." - Henry Ford

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

Originally posted by jackmcleod

Originally posted by Hyanmen

Originally posted by jackmcleod

unannounced classes that have been revealed. Now that would be interesting to know....

Yes, there are~!

Where can you see them?

Few were just released to the "public", although they've been around for a while longer than that. Musketeer and Armorer.

Some have yet to be revealed, but we know of them anyway. No official source for those :)

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • DisdenaDisdena Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

Originally posted by Nytakito

OP: tl;dr

But to answer your question, it will have no effect.  Parties should work just the way they did in XI as far as having to conserve resources (particularly MP) in order to maximize XP.  Unless XIV gets rid of XP chains, which I highly doubt.

If you played FFXI and you rested up to full mana after every mob, you never even got to XP chain #1, let alone 4 or 5.

First of all let me say that I was a huge huge fan of EXP chains. I liked the concept a whole lot, and for a specific reason. I like to say that FFXI was a game that was about downtime. There wasn't just downtime in between fights; the best parties took mana breaks at the right times and for the right amount of time. Downtime management was the difference between pretty good and great. And you couldn't reach your potential just by conserving resources all of the time... to consistently reach the highest chains, you'd conserve heavily at first, less after a few fights, then go for broke for the last fight or two. (At least that's the idea in theory.)

I haven't seen anything indicating that EXP chains will be a part of FFXIV, and I think it's probably for the best if they don't make it in. FFXIV doesn't have to be about downtime in the same way that FFXI was; I have a feeling that it will be more about efficiency: making every attack and every spell count as much as possible, making every hit you take hinder the party as little as possible. Tossing in an artificial mechanic that rewards you based on the speed with which you handle these fights with an increasingly short amount of time between them... I don't see that as a positive addition. In my opinion it wouldn't contribute anything more to the fun complexity of the combat. The combat itself should be what our attention is focused on.

In a way, you're already receiving an extra reward if you pace yourself and manage to go quickly without running out of MP: you reach each node more quickly, complete the leve faster, and are ready for the next run sooner.

• pojungpojung Member Posts: 810

It will increase gameplay dynamic. Point blank.

That is exactly right, and we're not saying NO to save WoW, because it is already a lost cause. We are saying NO to dissuade the next group of greedy suits who decide to emulate Blizzard and Cryptic, etc.
    We can prevent some of the future games from spewing this crap, but the sooner we start saying no, the better the results will be.
    So - Stand up, pull up your pants, and walk away.
    - MMO_Doubter