Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Return

Howdy,

I used to play DAOC back in the day, right ater release for several months endlessly rolling chars because getting to 50 in those days was quite the pain in the ass. Came back to try SI for a bit, didn't get to much into it before I left for other games. Came back and got serious for the release of TOA and leveled my cabalist to 50 and started the TOA nonsense. Since I wasn't in the top tier guilds that were doing the content when it was still fairly difficult and buggy, I never quite maxxed out the char I had in terms of gear. I have a decent suit that I templated out to be accessible to someone who didn't have ML9 convokers on lock down. Got frustrated with not being able to do the major stuff and went to the PVP servers for quite awhile, rolled several 50s and had some good times before the population plummeted. About this time I think WoW came out and I went and did that whole biz for awhile.

Came back for Classic and did a lot of Molvik over a few months, which was actually some of the best times I've had in game. Honestly, the only reason I even went back to Classic was because I didn't have to do all the ML stuff and that biz - I don't think it really destroyed the game like a lot of people do, I just didn't have access to people who even still did that when I came back.

So basically I am thinking about returning once more to the final days of DAOC and having some fun, but basically I have an ML3 Cabalist (wooo? no class changes since I left 3+ years ago) that needs to be retemplated to be really usable. On top of that I might be rr3 or so?

Is it worth it is a useless question - I definitely think it would be worth it. The real question is "Is It Possible?" I know you can like buy all that TOA stuff with BP, but is it feasible to try and return with the hordes of rr12+ people rolling around these days? Is there enough people that recruitment is still open for guilds or has it devolved into small cliques of hardcore players that refuse to leave?

I'm not even really tied to the cabalist, I like all the realms and most of the classes so I think I could fit in anywhere; the trick is that I need some sort of group to play with to make it happen and not a waste of time trying to crack an unpenetrable community 9 years in the making.

If you're interested in some new blood for your crew, backchannel me and we'll talk. I love support classes and kicking ass is basically all there is do in DAOC so I'm ready.

TL;DR Is it possible to catch up (i.e. get an rvr group sub rr8)? Anyone want new blood?

Comments

• Yes it's possible.

There are many friendly players and guilds on all realms that you could join. Some guilds are selective although there are usually guilds looking to recruit. 

Dragon gear, ml's, artifacts and TG gear can all be obtained by farming scales and you will nearly always find people farming them that you could join. This will help you re-template in quick time.

RvR is nearly always busy and if one of the 3 realms puts up a proper zerg there is fighting all over the place which will contribute to improving your realm rank rather steadily. You will, most of the time get a group on mid regardless of your realm rank if I'm on running a BG as we always try and get everyone grouped up. As with guilds, some groups are more selective and this is understandable.

The game is frustrating as always :) but. as I've said before, I can't believe more people dont play it.

/salute the fighters of all 3 realms

atrebates

• darkgoddnadarkgoddna Member Posts: 2

Thanks for the reply. I am still undecided about wading back into the fray, but your post gives me some hope that it won't be too bad.

Whatever will I play is the question I suppose...I still can't believe Cabalists are exactly the same as when I left.

• xennxavierxennxavier Member Posts: 8

I just cancelled my accounts. I have always been a fierce defender of DAOC RVR system. When someonone would ask what the best pvp system i have played i would always answer DAOC. 3 Realms with large expanses of land to roam, seige warfare, keep and tower takes. It was open RVR 24/7. Or you could hit one of the many level restriced Battlegrounds and anytime, no waiting in line or queues.

But those times are gone. What killed this awesome pvp game for me. Realm Pride or the lack of it. With the clustering of all servers there is no time limit to switch sides. Everybody does it. Sure it's cool being able to play all races and classes with your friends. But when one realm has all the bonus Relics every loser with an axe jumped ship and would get on the "Winning Team" Within minutes, and for weeks, the "Winning Teams" population would double. You couldnt step out of a Tower or portal keep and walk 100 yards with out getting Hammered by 3 to 1 or even 5 to 1 odds with a realm that has Triple, no joke, Triple the power you do. SO that 3 to 1 odds is more like 9 to 1.

So just save yourself the time, keep your blood pressure low and don't do. I never thought i would say this and it pains me to, WOW has better PVP then DAOC. I may just go back to EVE for my pvp needs tho. But DAOC just is not what it use to be.

Sincerely ,

Disappointed.

• PedrobPedrob Member UncommonPosts: 172

Well the Realm Pride and instant realm switching has been going on for years, usually you get used to that if you run with a good group of friends that sticks around and fight's for your realm no matter what others are doing.

But with one big clustered server it's hard to tell the players that they can only play one realm and never be able to play with friends in other realms, it was "acceptable" before when there were multiple servers.

As for the PvP being better in WoW,  I can see you're mad and upset, because such a statement is to be honest, a joke.

And to the OP, as pointed out leveling and templating is not easy but it's much easier than it was when you last played, the Cabalist hasn't changed because there wasn't anything to change, they are still pretty darn good specced the right way,aoe disease + aoe dot is a killer in big zerg battles and castle/keep siege/defense not to mention you also get nearsight to blind casters.

• There is still realm pride, I have it and so do many of the Mids I play with (I'm sure its the same with albs/hibs). People are always coming onto message boards saying theres no realm pride etc etc but it is just not true.

There are people who cheat and cross realm.

There are people who dont cheat and cross realm but play different realms at different times.

Wow is not better in any way then daoc other then it has a higher subscriber base.

Best bet is to take the plunge, play a couple of months anbd see how it goes, but beware if you staty with alb we will find you and kill you :)

/salute

atrebates

• CrimsonFalkonCrimsonFalkon Member UncommonPosts: 46

The wife and I just recently came back to DAOC and we are finding it an enjoyable time once again. We had left when the pop was low and most of our friends and guild mates had gone off to find greener pastures. Now that it is all on one server the starter zones are flowing with people and the BGs and frontiers are always busy.

I agree with a previous post, get on and try it out for a while and see if the mood is rekindled again.

• ShalrathShalrath Member Posts: 16

I cant see any problem for new and old players to pick up daoc.

Its relly easy to get max level, artifacts and items these days.. 2-3h solo and youre artifacts are level 10.

About the realm pride, i have played midgard since beta.. and i would never play any other realm. :)