Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can persistent flamers or trolls be reported?

MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

First of all, I don't mind it when people go off on a rant, we all invest our time in the games we play and of course those can make us be enthusiastic or go on a rage rant when we're disappointed.

Even the extremer fanbois and flamers, while sometimes annoying, are tolerable when it isn't becoming a constant flood.

But how about someone who only posts in 1 game forumsection only to talk trash about that game for months at a stretch?

Someone who visits a general MMO site where all kinds of MMO's are portrayed, who claims to like and admire others of the current MMO's, but hwo is only interested in posting in that 1 game forum to trash that game in every thread that arises, that sounds like trolling to me, or someone on a rant rampage.

I was wondering what this site's stance is about that, since in other areas the rules are being enforced very assertively: is there no way to report such a person or issue warnings?

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

Comments

• HrothmundHrothmund Member Posts: 1,061

If they don't break the forum rules, they are entitled to voice their opinion time after time, after time.

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

Care bear forums, no fun.

• RajenRajen Member Posts: 689

I'm really glad you posted this because it has been bothering me for awhile as well.

The site claims to be against flaming and trolling but in all honesty... I have seen these kinds of posts and members go unmoderated countless times.

Usually you will find that one troll will have multiple accounts on here and post on each one individually to flame something. I really don't think anything can be done about it and I'm not sure if the mods here really care since they are still getting site visit hits. I just know several people have left the site over all the 'crap' that is tolerated here, it's almost as bad as the WoW forums.

Mods, can you ban people by IP if you have done a perma-ban on their accounts? I know pretty much every forum management system has this option (Vbulletin, invision power boards, burning board, etc.)

• CheriseCherise Member Posts: 232

Just depends on if they are violating forum rules.  If they keep derailing threads and going off topic just to trash a game, then report the post where they've done this.  If they're creating such a negative, tense atmosphere that positive posters hesitate to post there, then bring it to someone's attention.  But, if they're just stating opinions in threads asking for opinions, then there's probably not much you can do there.

I saw this happen in a certain other game-specific forum here.  The poster only posted there to rant on the game.  He actually ended up being banned.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

Its kind of funny, there are posts like this complaining about the lack of moderation on these forums and we see the opposite complaints quite frequently about excessive moderation.

So which is it?  Both I guess.

There are limited moderators, so they really can't catch everything unless people bother to report posts they feel are flaming or trolling.

I've been tagged many times from posts that were reported as well as posts the moderators spotted during their routine scans.  For what its worth, I've had more than 1/2 of those overturned on appeal, so not every post breaks the rules even if someone here personally doesn't like them.

As for people disliking what someone posts here, I laugh because they can quite easily block such users yet decide its better to leave the forums or complain incessantly about the bad quality of posts.

Forums are for PvP IMO, and its a harsh world at times.   I rarely bother to report anyone since we're all big kids here and should be able to handle ourselves in a fair fight.  Anyone who really annoys me (very rare) gets blocked.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Thanks for the link with the rules of conduct, I was looking for such a thing earlier, but couldn't find it.

Now this is what I found:

We have not set out to limit people's freedom of speech or discussion. These rules simply strive to keep the boards on topic, productive and inclusive for all members. Accidental violation of minor rules will not result in strict penalties. We want our users to enjoy our boards and feel that these rules will ensure that everyone can equally.

and this:

If there is one game that you did not enjoy, voicing your opinion is encouraged. Posting this opinion in every thread concerning that game to the point that it disrupts all other conversation is not tolerated.

Now someone who only posts here in the forumsection of the game he hates for months at a stretch, in almost every thread he can find there, to trash talk the game regardless whether it's relevant to that thread or not, that doesn't sound very on topic and productive to me, it sounds like trolling. If it's once or a few times, ok, if it's month after month, that's another thing. That sounds more like a crusade to trash the game, especially since that person hasn't even posted once in any of the other topics on other forums, just that game's  forum.

Other question: how do I go about that reporting? Couldn't see a button or such.

Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

Originally posted by cyphers

Other question: how do I go about that reporting? Couldn't see a button or such.

I reported you for not understanding the forums.

Just kidding image

Just look at the top of any post, you should see  '/Report' and '/Block' to select.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Lol!

And duh, thanks, I was looking at the wrong place image

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

these site here are there to say bad policy  ,dont forget gamer dont have the financial ressource a company like blizzard has at their disposal.so when a company be it frogster or gpotato do a move like they did (ipblock way after gamer were max level and started spending money on the game,i feel its the duty of the gamer to do what you say.

SORRY!from a company x,y,z that isnt feeling sorry at all isnt my kind of fair .so far i have rarelly seen what you ve seen

some post are disrepectfull but so far the one cheaking these things are fair.witch is needed in a forum because gamer dont have to say the good and the bad in this forum there are 100 if not 1000 of similar site that will do the job if this site became biased toward the industry  instead of staying fairly neurtal like they are.yes sometime its enerving but remember that what that person feel is probably felt by million that arent vocal at all .(yep lot gamer arent vocal)