Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How's the new achievement system?

MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614

Just wondering how the achievement system is.  Similar to EQ2 and WOW type achievements?  What do you think of it?

Comments

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Not active yet. ETA about a week (I think).

• FedacorrFedacorr Member Posts: 45

Being added to live server today, if it doesn't crash and burn on attempted liftoff.

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056

I hope they give some meaningful rewards, rather than WoW's worthless points.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• darkbladeddarkbladed Member Posts: 193

I'm pretty sure they said NO REWARDS from acheivements.

Just E-Peen (aka. bragging rights)

• FedacorrFedacorr Member Posts: 45

At this time, Achievements aren't even visible to others, much less give you any benefits.

All they do is count up points in a total, that you can see.  The points, at least now, do nothing.  The 'titles' of achievements aren't visible to others.

• Hopscotch73Hopscotch73 Member UncommonPosts: 971

Originally posted by darkbladed

Or  as I recall it, no rewards YET... think Marie on Livestream said something about expanding on achievements, that this is "just" the base system like the mutt is the base system for pets further down the road. Could be wrong about where i heard it, but I know it was said somewhere.

Small team, possibly a LONG road.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by darkbladed

Makes sense as gamers who have achievements as their goal (completionists and explorers, to give two examples) usually enjoy Achievement systems. Players who are doing the achievements to get rewards usually complain that either the rewards suck or that it's a grind to get the rewards.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Originally posted by Margulis

Just wondering how the achievement system is.  Similar to EQ2 and WOW type achievements?  What do you think of it?

Went live about 10 minutes ago, but something messed up the server, atm no characters to select to log ingame, so regardless it's to early to tell.

Someone who might have done PTS might have some answers on how it's like.

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614

So now that it's live, how is it?

It's there, it works and it's pretty similar to any other Achievement system you could think of.

There are achievements for exploration (tied into the tourist telescopes and dusty chests), crafting (as you'd expect), killing things (bosses and multiple kills of NPC mobs), gaining/losing faction and npc faction rep, eating and drinking certain things.... all the rest of it.

I'm pretty sure some of the fansites out there are working on lists of achievements that will be accessible outside the game, keep an eye out and you should be able to find a full break-down soon.

We still have no idea where the achievement scores will be leading down the line (they have said they intend to tie in some form of reward to the scores) but maybe that'll be made clear in the next State of the Game which is due sometime in the next fortnight.

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614

Originally posted by Hopscotch73

It's there, it works and it's pretty similar to any other Achievement system you could think of.

There are achievements for exploration (tied into the tourist telescopes and dusty chests), crafting (as you'd expect), killing things (bosses and multiple kills of NPC mobs), gaining/losing faction and npc faction rep, eating and drinking certain things.... all the rest of it.

I'm pretty sure some of the fansites out there are working on lists of achievements that will be accessible outside the game, keep an eye out and you should be able to find a full break-down soon.

We still have no idea where the achievement scores will be leading down the line (they have said they intend to tie in some form of reward to the scores) but maybe that'll be made clear in the next State of the Game which is due sometime in the next fortnight.

Appreciate the info, thanks.

No worries, I did a bit of casting about online to see if I could find a list of achievements anywhere, but nothing seems to be up yet. I'll keep my eyes open over the next few weeks and let you know if it comes up anywhere.

State of the game address came out last night (while I was happily snoozing), and there was nothing about Achievement rewards (but some nice stuff like weather systems and a "Serendipity" system of rare spawns that drop unique loot).

• wulvgarwulvgar Member Posts: 27

one part kinda funny is it post to your guild chat every time you get one :)

Makes for a good conversation piece