Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ship interiors planned in the near future for Star Trek Online

13»

Comments

• Die_ScreamDie_Scream Member Posts: 1,785

Originally posted by Dinendae

Originally posted by GamerAeon

not sure if this has been stated before but

Will anyone actually be around to see this before the game shrivels up and dies?

The lifetimers definately, plus there are subscribers who do love the game. So yes, there will be people see it go live. Then they'll see that ship interiors actually don't really do anything, and will promptly forget them.

They will just be another instance. Like a planet instance but with a ship interior skin. You'll load screen to change rooms, you'll load screen to use the turbo lift. Every room wil be comically oversized and similar. Functionality will be very limited, "boarding" missions will be carbon copies of the sub par ground combat. It will be touted by the fans and laughed at by the rest.

**All IMO of course!**

• CacaphonyCacaphony Member Posts: 738

Originally posted by Die_Scream

Will anyone actually be around to see this before the game shrivels up and dies?

The lifetimers definately, plus there are subscribers who do love the game. So yes, there will be people see it go live. Then they'll see that ship interiors actually don't really do anything, and will promptly forget them.

They will just be another instance. Like a planet instance but with a ship interior skin. You'll load screen to change rooms, you'll load screen to use the turbo lift. Every room wil be comically oversized and similar. Functionality will be very limited, "boarding" missions will be carbon copies of the sub par ground combat. It will be touted by the fans and laughed at by the rest.

**All IMO of course!**

Good god... I hope they dont  use memory alpha type skins for the ship interiors if they ever put it into the game. I saw the memory alpha skin used waaaaaaaayyy to much during the "exploration" missions.

• DinendaeDinendae Member Posts: 1,264

Originally posted by Cacaphony

**All IMO of course!**

Good god... I hope they dont  use memory alpha type skins for the ship interiors if they ever put it into the game. I saw the memory alpha skin used waaaaaaaayyy to much during the "exploration" missions.

Nah; they'll probably look like ship interiors are supposed to look like, if built by a race of giants that is.

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

**All IMO of course!**

Nah; they'll probably look like ship interiors are supposed to look like, if built by a race of giants that is.

Their (Cryptic) reasoning was that the admittedly giant sized interiors were necessary to avoid camera issues. Like 360 space, My response is, other games can do it, but you claim you can't. Always with the excuses they are!

• CacaphonyCacaphony Member Posts: 738

**All IMO of course!**

Their (Cryptic) reasoning was that the admittedly giant sized interiors were necessary to avoid camera issues. Like 360 space, My response is, other games can do it, but you claim you can't. Always with the excuses they are!

Perhaps they very well cant.  The other companies that can do this has competent developers with the know how to make it happen.  Perhaps Cryptic just dosent hire those type of devs.

I wonder, if other devs of other games take a look at STO and just shake their heads.

Perhaps they very well cant.  The other companies that can do this has competent developers with the know how to make it happen.  Perhaps Cryptic just dosent hire those type of devs.

I wonder, if other devs of other games take a look at STO and just shake their heads.

I'll bet other game studios look at Cryptic and mutter "..There but for the grace of God go I..*gulp!*" Lol.

The best case scenario is they for once take a lesson on just how far you can cut corners.

• bstiffbstiff Member Posts: 359

**All IMO of course!**

I forget, was that  the eye searing blue space station skin? I hated getting that one every time i did an exploration mission.

I thought they said somewhere that it had something to do with AI pathing issues too. It's been a while though. You can see how well the AI does on walkways on the firecave mission. Had to solo the whole thing while the away team stood on a bridge watching me.

• elusivexelusivex Member Posts: 86

Posted by Cacaphony on 5/16/10 at 4:20:15 PM

I know I shake my head when I look at that lump of software they call a game.

A man or "gamer" should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be.

• DinendaeDinendae Member Posts: 1,264

Originally posted by bstiff

I thought they said somewhere that it had something to do with AI pathing issues too. It's been a while though. You can see how well the AI does on walkways on the firecave mission. Had to solo the whole thing while the away team stood on a bridge watching me.

They may have mentioned pathing, but the primary reason they gave was due to the camera. However, this has never been an issue in other games; if your camera is too far out, and you can't see anything, you use the mouse wheel and scroll until you zoom in towards your charcter and can see (or hit the default key to go to first person mode). That scrolling the camera in never occured to Cryptic says a lot.

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

**All IMO of course!**

Crap, you just reminded me that I really hate the interiors for STO. I also hate planet surfaces. They use the dumb "oversized mushroom" thing that every fantasy game to date has already used for some planets, all the interiors look the same (even though DS9 is a bit more unique it has the same crappy layout as every other space station in the game, and it looks like utter crap when compared to the actual station in the TV series as well as being comically oversized,) and the Federation seems to have never heard of "paved roads."

Seriously, why are there dirt paths between all the buildings in every Federation planet? What the hell?

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

**All IMO of course!**

Not to mention the Memory Alpha skin looks completely alien and nothing like the Federation designs from the shows and movies.

• Darth_OsorDarth_Osor Member Posts: 1,089

From what I've read (admittedly not recently) the ship "interiors" are just going to be a couple rooms.  I'm sure fanbots will defend this like every other subpar aspect of this game, but what about the people that consider ship interiors to be kinda important?  I doubt Cryptic half-assing ship interiors like the rest of the game is going to save them many subs from cancelling.

Originally posted by Darth_Osor

From what I've read (admittedly not recently) the ship "interiors" are just going to be a couple rooms.  I'm sure fanbots will defend this like every other subpar aspect of this game, but what about the people that consider ship interiors to be kinda important?  I doubt Cryptic half-assing ship interiors like the rest of the game is going to save them many subs from cancelling.

I think what may eventually happen is that STO becomes more of a Star Trek online social/ rp chatroom thing than an actual MMO. If that's what people want good for them I guess.

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

Far too little. Far too late.

• Maverz290Maverz290 Member Posts: 447

I have to say, at least the Roleplayers will be happy.

I've seen a few pictures recently of the interiors and they do surprisingly look good. However, it's just too damn late.

Amazingly in my eyes, theres talk of the third faction being added?!?! Romulans. Cool, but hey, fix whats broken before adding more broken wires to the circuit.

On a plus note, the adding of 'official' ships will make some people happy. Excelsior is inbound apparantly, and nebula.

But still. All this candy coming in is just that. Eye candy. Need more content! Not raids either. Revamp exploration, make us able to do things on the planet with meaning, mini games, establish relations with a race and come back to them on call. THEN I'd play.

Longing for Skyrim, The Old Republic and Mass Effect 3

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

Originally posted by SaintViktor

Now all STO fans can rejoice. Happy now ? You should be!

http://www.massively.com/2010/05/10/ship-interiors-planned-in-the-near-future-for-star-trek-online/

Thats asuming the game survives long enought. As far as I know the player base is shrinking. But I have no sources at all, just what a read here in mmorpg. So my opinion in the ship interiors is, good adition, the game needs it. In fact the game needs a lot of stuff but if I were a player I'll probably be happy about it.

• ScribbleLay1ScribbleLay1 Member Posts: 177

Originally posted by alakram

Originally posted by SaintViktor

Now all STO fans can rejoice. Happy now ? You should be!

http://www.massively.com/2010/05/10/ship-interiors-planned-in-the-near-future-for-star-trek-online/

Thats asuming the game survives long enought. As far as I know the player base is shrinking. But I have no sources at all, just what a read here in mmorpg. So my opinion in the ship interiors is, good adition, the game needs it. In fact the game needs a lot of stuff but if I were a player I'll probably be happy about it.

Craptic reminds me of a Boss who has hungry workers working for him and once in a while he throws them a biscuit and tells them that they are lucky to get that and that they should be thankfull but more is coming in the future if they only stay with him for a little while longer.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Originally posted by mezlabor

Ill be happy when sto is this game http://www-waa-akam.thomson-webcast.net/us/dispatching/?event_id=ef804b5c6581bb453902e96f13b91a1e&portal_id=d9882584be03673749d664f440208ab2

Oh the promises. Worst yet they promised all these features were already working! HAH and where are any of them now?

Thanks for the vid, Mez!

Up to 13:00 the details are fairly accurate though embellished.  13:00 forward, however gets downright misleading.  "you'll be able to send bridge crew to deck 5"... heh heh...

Can't help but wince and puke a little everytime he says the word "exploration"...

"You're gonna be building new equipment..."

"Galactic Economy"

"...fleets will enable you to build shipyards... bigger ships..."

"Holograms as bridge crew"

"every ship to have decks, layouts, medical facilities, engine rooms, all customizable"

"we don't plan on doing a level based MMORPG"

After the q&a, they HAD to have known that the game wouldn't have been sophisticated enough for the majority of the audience.