Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Has this been done?

OssilOssil Member UncommonPosts: 14

This is just an idea, and maybe it has been done before....

What if a fantasy based MMO stopped displaying names and guild membership above the avatars' heads?  I think it would help with immersion.  Imagine a game where you would actually have to interact with other players, and perhaps remember their face(assuing detailed character creation was implimented) and name.  This would also put emphasis on any garb that signified guild membership or alligence.  Wouldn't it be great?  This would lend itself well to a sandbox style of game.  Imagine hinding/stealthing in the game world without a neon tag floating above your head.  Imagine a virtual world where you could only communicate with other players you have taken the time to actually meet.  Maybe this idea would help rebuild MMO community?  I'm not talking about the option to remove the avatar tag, but making it's absence part of the game.

I apologize for the lack of cohesive thoughts... Happy Hour in play. =)

What do you think?

Comments

• BetabooBetaboo Member Posts: 384

Not a bad idea but my eyes are not the greatest and it would ruin my day if i had to squint all day at the screen to recognize someone.

• DerrialDerrial Member Posts: 250

Kind of interesting for a sandbox MMO, but that would require some EXTREMELY sophisticated face and character customizations to ensure people don't look alike. I don't know if the capability exists yet to get to that level of customization. Even if it does, I don't think it would really add enough depth and immersion to the game to warrant the amount of work that it would take to pull it off.

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

Originally posted by Ossil

What if a fantasy based MMO stopped displaying names and guild membership above the avatars' heads?  I think it would help with immersion.  Imagine a game where you would actually have to interact with other players, and perhaps remember their face(assuing detailed character creation was implimented) and name.  This would also put emphasis on any garb that signified guild membership or alligence.  Wouldn't it be great?  This would lend itself well to a sandbox style of game.  Imagine hinding/stealthing in the game world without a neon tag floating above your head.  Imagine a virtual world where you could only communicate with other players you have taken the time to actually meet.  Maybe this idea would help rebuild MMO community?  I'm not talking about the option to remove the avatar tag, but making it's absence part of the game.

What do you think?

It sounds good. Instead of recognizin the face you can make the player's name tag display only when you have shared determined amount of private messages or whispers.

In the other hand, it may even make players more slefsufficient cose the see too much work on remember the face or interchanching such amounts of private messages.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Well as a option it has been done, but it as far I know never been done forcefully, with option I mean in the game settings many games I know you can hide player or NPC names.

• lttexxanlttexxan Member UncommonPosts: 429

Maybe...perhaps...it's possible...could be....

It's better to lurk in forums and be thought a fool...than to endlessly "Quote" and remove all doubts.

• duffalphaduffalpha Member Posts: 76

Would be really cool for a game to make it so names were only visible when a player was selected. That way you could hide in bushes, behind trees, etc...without the giant floating name to give you away. it would make crowds and big battles way more attractive too, while still letting you find friends quickly or learn someones name. 

• PapaB34RPapaB34R Member Posts: 300

Originally posted by Ossil

What do you think?

I approve of this message.

I always hated the fugly names hovering over peoples head, specailly when theres a hundred of em grouped into a bunch around hot spots. Only MMOs, Imagine any other game genre trying to do this... would be instantly rejected by close to everyone. Then again not many games uses locked targeting anyway.

Pity this genre is so fuckin inbred that "new features" are often ancient in solo/multiplayer/non-mmo games. Then again we are just as stupid as players/consumers for accepting the trash brought to us.

• lttexxanlttexxan Member UncommonPosts: 429

it has been done....but out of shame....she denies it.

It's better to lurk in forums and be thought a fool...than to endlessly "Quote" and remove all doubts.

• elusivexelusivex Member Posts: 86

A great Idea in theory.  Though if it was possible in practice we would of seen it by now.

I think like a poster mentioned above the tech needed for such an idea would be very costly.

I really like the idea though for a sand box mmo.

A man or "gamer" should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be.

• YoohoomeYoohoome Member Posts: 22

If that happens. It needs a high character customization, more detailed to be able to identify other player's character.