Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

new player i just got this game today. need some info please!

punkrockpunkrock Member Posts: 1,777

ok i just got this game i got the ffo ultimate collection on the pc.    what is the best server to go to? or does it  nor matter. and does this game have some type of pvp?   if so what type is it. and whats a good starting class for a new player. me and my wife will be playting this game.

does race matter?   i like the way the elfs look.  

oh and  when i make my account do i need to put my cc in or after the 30 days?  and is it solo friendly?

and alot for any info givein!!!   hope to meet some of yall  if were on the same server

Comments

• AngorimAngorim Member Posts: 466

Originally posted by punkrock

ok i just got this game i got the ffo ultimate collection on the pc.    what is the best server to go to? or does it  nor matter. and does this game have some type of pvp?   if so what type is it. and whats a good starting class for a new player. me and my wife will be playting this game.

does race matter?   i like the way the elfs look.  

oh and  when i make my account do i need to put my cc in or after the 30 days?  and is it solo friendly?

and alot for any info givein!!!   hope to meet some of yall  if were on the same server

I would personally recommend Asura if character creation is still allowed there (population was pretty packed).

There is a type of PvP, but it's an afterthought battleground-esque style (believe it's called Ballista) that the game is not designed for.

If you're playing this game with your wife, a good starting combo would be WAR (Warrior) and WHM (White Mage) if one of you likes to tank/dps and the other to heal/support.  The game is not very solo friendly, but I did this duo with a RL friend and we went to 20+ by ourselves with ease.

Race only matters with starting attributes and hp/mp.  You'll notice the biggest difference early on (Taru-Taru have little health but high mp and intelligence for better damage spells).  Elvaans have the highest strength, which makes them more favorable for early level melee classes, though later on you can make up for any races weaknesses with gear though some elitists may say otherwise.

When you make your account you need to put your CC info in immediately to activate the account I believe, but you won't be charged until your free month is up.

The game has become more solo friendly over the years but it is NOT designed for it and will be a struggle with lesser gear and lacking consumables (food for buffs) etc.  Possible but not efficient and highly depends on your class.

• ZurkisZurkis Member Posts: 4

First off Welcome to a game that comsumed 2yrs of my life. It was a blast.

The game sad to say isn't very solo friendly, the first 10 lvls are rather solo friendly but after that your gonna need a group for just about everything.

FFXI is one of the greatest mmo's, just have to give it time and a fair chance to suck you in.

Races do have thier places among the job classes I suggest you do some minor research before commiting to a race.  Each has Pro's and Con's to certain Jobs. I can say look into all the jobs before lvling anyone of them. Once you gain access to the advanced job you'll want to have the best fix sub job lvl'd at the time to help speed your advanced job lvling.

With that said good luck, and have fun

• punkrockpunkrock Member Posts: 1,777

oh ok. thats sounds cool. me and my wife will be playing on the same account for know thou lol.    does the pvp mean anything or just for fun ?   i am used to games like daoc and ao type pvp lol. 

ok i will still make a elf race then.    ok so i can still solo just take a little longer to level. i would love to be in groups thou and guilds.  do i get to pick a server?   i know some games they put me in one auto and it sucked alot lol.

thanks for replying so fast.   i hope the people in the game are just as nice as you are. i like a good strong comuntiy

• Naturalist99Naturalist99 Member Posts: 182

Join Asura, most populated server. If you join the Bastok Nation i'll be able to help you out, give you tips, walk you through the beggining, and give you some starting gil.

MMOs played: Too many
    Watch List: FFXIV, CoH:GR, GW2, SWTOR, TERA, Earthrise

• punkrockpunkrock Member Posts: 1,777

that would be very cool. everyone is so nice on here. i am glade! makes me want to play the game even faster. might have to wait a week thou sadly. but i will try my best to go on sooner. sucks i need to put my cc in thats whyt i have to wait a week lol.  thanks mythic!!! haha.

anyways i would love to join that server and play with you!

• LotosSlayerLotosSlayer Member Posts: 247

Yes which server you pick does matter, the game is very group dependant so a server with more people would have much faster group finding. I suggest Asura or Bahamut, I played on Bahamut and there's lots of people, but based on statistics Asura is the most populated server and has nearly double the amount of active players than Bahamut has. FFXI is a PvE game but does have some PvP, but it's just for fun. There's Brenner, which is an arena type thing which you'll probably have to gather people for it as it isn't done regularly, and Ballista which is a battlegrounds type thing. Good starting classes would be: WAR(tank/dd), WHM(healer), RDM(healer/dd/debuff hybrid), MNK(dd), as they're more likely to get party invites. For advanced jobs(you need level 30 for them) PLD(tank), SAM(dd), Bard(buffer) for the same reason. Just pick what you want though, you can still get parties pretty quick with any class. You can solo until level 20, but after that it's just way too slow unless you're a Beast Master or have really good equipment.  As for your CC question, yes you have to put it in before.

Some more advice:

-As soon as you log in change your controls to wasd, I think it's called compact mode in the game

-Ask if you have questions, people in FFXI are very helpful

-At level 10 go to Valkrum Dunes for parties

-Make your own parties instead of waiting for an invite, it's waaay faster. We're talking like a 5-20 minutes vs 15 minutes-1 hour difference. Type /sea all inv to see all people lfg

Welcome to FFXI, btw. :P