Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why are some people so sure that FFxiv is the messiah of teh old school?

124»

Comments

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

Being one of the first NA's on my server to complete CoP back in 2005 meant something to me. Night after night of trial and error trying to figure out the missions and boss encounters without guides or walk throughs was a blast. It's honeslty the last time i've felt like that. Everything since has been watered down or nerfed to hell and back, it's a shame.

At the same time, i don't think we'll ever see something like that again. I lost countless friends to that expansion that ended up quitting. Part of it was due to WoW exploding at the time, but a lot had to do with people not really wanting a challenge.

It's also funny  that i talk with some of them now and they're all excited about XIV. They know XI was something special that they haven't been able to duplicate since leaving. For them XIV seems to be XI minus the timesinks that prevented a lot of people from fully enjoying XI.

• h2o1h2o1 Member Posts: 2

cz this is just based on real live exp.,  Everyone have their own opinion about "how this game would to be", and if real situation and their "true" opinion have some differences "they're trolling everybody".

• ThebozzThebozz Member UncommonPosts: 117

I don't know that this game is the "messiah" return to old school or not, but i do know that this is the game that will get my RL friend playing an MMO again.  Everyone knows these games are more fun when you actually have someone to play them with so I am greatly looking forward to FFXIV.

• YauchyYauchy Member UncommonPosts: 298

Alders states it all perfectly.  FFXI I'd argue will be the last well known, "Classical" style mmo.  As for FFXIV being classical or like FFXI, I guess not many folks have been looking at the information on the game - besides races, its a completely different.  (reuse does not imply equality on the whole).

What I think should of been asked is will this game be the "Messiah" for those who enjoyed Old School games?  For me it looks like it will be...because even after hearing the unfortunate alpha issues, I'm still excited (because its mostly server issues, which always plague all game releases).

Other:  FF8 was the worst (in overall quality), that gunblade linking made me laugh...hardcore.

• grndzrogrndzro Member UncommonPosts: 1,162

The main reason I am so stoked about playing is that the development team making it did FF 1-7 FFXI and Kingdom hearts. They know how to draw people in and make an immersive world.  Development has been going on for 7 years or so in one form or another

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

Originally posted by grndzro

The main reason I am so stoked about playing is that the development team making it did FF 1-7 FFXI and Kingdom hearts. They know how to draw people in and make an immersive world.  Development has been going on for 7 years or so in one form or another

dot dot dot

The FFXIV team has created both Chrono games. In addition to this, the director of the game has worked on FFIX.

This team is not responsible for KH, nor most of the main numbered fantasies.

7 years is also a stretch.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • AsuraGerryAsuraGerry Member Posts: 12

This game has been in development since 2003 very few of us saw the screen shots but I did I remember in 2003 seeing pictures of what looked like in hindsight a black Limsa-Lominsa with orange dusk sky. It's not absurd SE usually puts a lot of time into their games. While a lot of people don't like SE games the ones that do absolutely love it, and I think that says enough.

• SoulSurferSoulSurfer Member UncommonPosts: 1,024

Originally posted by Hyanmen

Originally posted by grndzro

dot dot dot

The FFXIV team has created both Chrono games. In addition to this, the director of the game has worked on FFIX.

This team is not responsible for KH, nor most of the main numbered fantasies.

7 years is also a stretch.

wow, I didn't know that.  I loved to play chrono back in the day =D

• sdeleon515sdeleon515 Member UncommonPosts: 151

Originally posted by Alberel

I'm sorry if this post comes off as a fanboy-ish rant but I'd appreciate it if you could look up the things you're talking about before telling people what to expect. We already have a lot of information on the game if you take the time to look and we already know that it will be vastly different to both FFXI and any other MMO on the market. Will it be a 'messiah'? Doubtful... but it's probably the best chance the genre is going to get for a very long time.

Saying its "Vastly different to FF11 and any other mmo on the market" is really now a stretch isn't it. I mean this isn't like Fallen Earth and debating what it is and how creative/original it is or may be and what part/aspect of it is a close. Even a seasoned veteran mmo player could go out and make a better argument on saying its still closer to an EQ clone than being original. From a systematic point it won't differ from FF11 very much. As far as content, much of it is similar. And from a storyline point it carries a good number of similarities at a base point. The issue of "reuse does not equal equality" is also something your taking a stretch on. Disney can rehash tons of ideas and be successful and, lets face it they have (ie. Aladin, Beauty and the Beast and so on). They carry tons of similarities with their storybook counterparts but are more financially successful. But introduce pixar and what it does and that's vastly more successful at all levels.  The fact is one rehashes old stuff and is moderately successful. Another tosses in tons of original ideas and raises the bar of success. 

At heart FF14 is in a sense a blank-slate re-introduction of FF11 and getting everything that they missed originally spot on. Unlike others I don't assume it will be like Avatar [whose storyline is pretty much pocahontas in blue skin] in terms taking and reintroducing something but with bigger acclaim and sucess and I don't go around blindly assuming this game will be "omgz its so new and everything I won't know where to begin". As was stated by SE its going to be as painless of a transition for FF11 players. So before you post more "it won't be like FF11" read into that statement will ya. I agree with the sentiment its SE's best chances at the current mmo market. And for the record yes my friend did get into beta and while I didn't, the core mechanics are different upon observation and the background scenes look better but its not as if I suddenly walked into Aoin and said "wtf...well time to learn" (and no I don't like Aoin or WoW but having played WoW, Aoin was something else despite being a WoW clone). You walk into FF14 and get impressed by the visual graphics and want to learn about how they took the old storyline and made it brand new but always tends to force you to compare it to FF11.

That's MY point dear friend; Aoin is a WoW clone but you don't go around thinking WoW the whole time, its managed to make itself different enough on various levels to do so. FF14 doesn't. I think it's a bit more engaging but the average FF player from my eyes and friends play have enough FF experience to actually see what's the same and use that experience to their advantage and at that point I don't buy the "its going to be so different and better than any mmo on the market". Fallen Earth is a unique mmo. So is Eve onoline. EQ was too. Ultima is up there always for being the 1st. I'll also toss in Star Wars Galaxy and even WoW (as much as I hate evening thinking about it but WoW deserves attn for basically being the successful clone that it is). FF 14 doesn't make that list by far nor should it. I think it'll be great and enjoyable for many but at the same level Aoin. It won't have the numbers of WoW (and I don't care really about that but I won't ignore it either), it won't reinvent the mmorpg genre nor will it introduce something different and/or undone. Everything they are doing has been relatively tested on FF11 and others mmo and are using their experience expertise from 11 to build 14. We can always debate "its the same" or "its different" but you can call me picky if I was expecting something more than what was released and something original enough of an x-factor to make this game really exciting and not just hyped up. 

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

I agree that XIV won't reinvent the genre, and that it won't have the subs of WoW.

However, to say it won't introduce anything different and/or undone, I don't agree with.

That depends on your perception though.

Either way, I'd say that regardless of what each of us thinks, XIV brings more to the table than Aion did. If not something new, at least not-so-widely used features and mechanics with more or less changes in them.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".