Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why are some people so sure that FFxiv is the messiah of teh old school?

Comments

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

Originally posted by Hyanmen

Originally posted by Hrayr2148

FF8 is my favorite... lol (i'm not joking)

That's the thing. SE doesn't release bad games, but everyone has their own opinion as to which game is good and which is bad.

That doesn't mean they're not quality products however.

So you enjoyed Infinite Undiscovery?

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

Originally posted by SuperXero89

Haven't played it, but that's a tri-Ace game. You could say the same thing about Just Cause 2, but those aren't SE developed titles, only published. There's a small yet significant difference there.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Haven't played it, but that's a tri-Ace game. You could say the same thing about Just Cause 2, but those aren't SE developed titles, only published. There's a small yet significant difference there.

Agreed.

• Hrayr2148Hrayr2148 Member Posts: 649

That's the thing. SE doesn't release bad games, but everyone has their own opinion as to which game is good and which is bad.

Is that a final fantasy title...?  I don't know...but, I didn't say SE doesn't make bad games, because they do.  I said they don't make bad games with "Final Fantasy" in the title.

It's the series that saved the company, the flagship title.  From my own personal experience, I havn't been disapointed.  I am very realistic with my expectations of FFXIV.  I could careless if it enjoys mainstream success. As long as there are enough people on each server to do the content and it's a nice community like FFXI, then I can't ask for anything more.

I'm actually hoping SE takes its sweet time in making FFXIV.  I'm enjoying playing AoC and LoTRO casually right now.

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

Is that a final fantasy title...?  I don't know...but, I didn't say SE doesn't make bad games, because they do.  I said they don't make bad games with "Final Fantasy" in the title.

It's the series that saved the company, the flagship title.  From my own personal experience, I havn't been disapointed.  I am very realistic with my expectations of FFXIV.  I could careless if it enjoys mainstream success. As long as there are enough people on each server to do the content and it's a nice community like FFXI, then I can't ask for anything more.

I'm actually hoping SE takes its sweet time in making FFXIV.  I'm enjoying playing AoC and LoTRO casually right now.

I am a big ff fan but i thought FF X-2 was pure trash, but thats just my opinion, you may have liked it.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• Hrayr2148Hrayr2148 Member Posts: 649

Originally posted by toddze

I am a big ff fan but i thought FF X-2 was pure trash, but thats just my opinion, you may have liked it.

The combat in FFX-2 was better than FFX.  

The combat in FFX-2 was better than FFX.  

Yeah I'm playing it right now, and while the story is just lol-worthy, the combat is fun and the quality is good. Again, not for everyone, but still very polished product nonetheless.

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494

Back on the topic of MMO's...

I don't think anyone has mentioned it yet, but another reason to hold out hope that FFXIV might cater to the "old school crowd" is that currently the alpha is only being tested by long time FFXI players.  For all the people saying this game will be a complete departure from the overall design philosophy of that game ("old school") that might be something to think about.

• zippy123zippy123 Member Posts: 172

When it comes down to it all that matters is the game fun and enjoyable to play for all types of players. WoW was successful because it was fun,  and solo-able for just about any player, at least until end game, then it nose dives as do most MMO's.

• NytakitoNytakito Member Posts: 381

Ebb/Flow

Wax/Wane

That is how the communities favor goes...  Alot of people left FFXI becuase they got sick of grinding, difficult levelling, forced grouping, now after years and years of playing fully quest-driven games, they are getting sick of that and starting to long for a more nostalgic experience, that still has some of the flavor and zip of the newer MMO's.

I have hopes it will be a great game.  I think alot of XI players will move over and alot of former XI players will jump back into FF.  All in all, it will probably do the same or a little better than XI, and if it does, that is plenty good for me.

"If I'd asked my customers what they wanted, they'd have said a faster horse." - Henry Ford

• SoulSurferSoulSurfer Member UncommonPosts: 1,024

Jesus delivers, lol 

• swalker23swalker23 Member Posts: 266

^

ROFL HAAAHHHHAAAAA

good one

• ChachChach Member Posts: 69

Just the opening music will get the hairs on the back of my neck to stand up.  Several hours of enjoyable gameplay from the single rpgs to XI.  I will be purchasing a new rig for the game.  Make or break

• SoulSurferSoulSurfer Member UncommonPosts: 1,024

Originally posted by Chach

Just the opening music will get the hairs on the back of my neck to stand up.  Several hours of enjoyable gameplay from the single rpgs to XI.  I will be purchasing a new rig for the game.  Make or break

The patch downloading music hit me with a ton of "nostalgia bricks", Used to pass out to sleep listening to that music when ps2 took all day to download. good times huh?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDf9alqPVLw

• beartoebeartoe Member Posts: 62

FFXI - grindy as hell.  oh you can group all right (force grouping),  so you don't feel bad about grinding all by yourself.  guess that's what the old school meant as being hardcore.. killing npc mobs over and over again, no story to why you are doing it nor a reason other than its just another "x" number of xp to gain.

FFXIV - updated graphics, Same Character / Race to choose from, with the same grind.   don't expect seeing an npc with a giant " ! " on top of their heads.  follow by a " ? " when you complete it.  >.<

all about fun. if you find grinding to be fun then, good for you buddy!!  I hope they will be able to cater to more than just one type of players. 

• AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121

Originally posted by beartoe

FFXI - grindy as hell.  oh you can group all right (force grouping),  so you don't feel bad about grinding all by yourself.  guess that's what the old school meant as being hardcore.. killing npc mobs over and over again, no story to why you are doing it nor a reason other than its just another "x" number of xp to gain.

FFXIV - updated graphics, Same Character / Race to choose from, with the same grind.   don't expect seeing an npc with a giant " ! " on top of their heads.  follow by a " ? " when you complete it.  >.<

all about fun. if you find grinding to be fun then, good for you buddy!!  I hope they will be able to cater to more than just one type of players. 

Lol, I'm gonna take it you never played XI very far because almost everything you've stated there is untrue...

• beartoebeartoe Member Posts: 62

Originally posted by Alberel

Lol, I'm gonna take it you never played XI very far because almost everything you've stated there is untrue...

which part. killing mobs outside your starting city till your lvl 10 ? then running to dunes, then sit your ass and wait. cross fingers u get into group? to grind to lvl 20? oh wait they got books out side the city now that guess what. gives u mission to kill the same mobs u would have been killing anyway to get u to lvl up and give u "x" amount of xp for completing it. different lvls, same mission over and over again?

which part. killing mobs outside your starting city till your lvl 10 ? then running to dunes, then sit your ass and wait. cross fingers u get into group? to grind to lvl 20? oh wait they got books out side the city now that guess what. gives u mission to kill the same mobs u would have been killing anyway to get u to lvl up and give u "x" amount of xp for completing it. different lvls, same mission over and over again?

The only thing that's true of what you said is that the game is grindy, and by grindy I am referring only to the time it takes to level, not the means by which you do it... it is possible to solo and there is a solid story throughout the game (in fact the story in FFXI quite easily trumps that of most other MMOs out there).

As for the grinding, explain to me how it's really that much different to grinding quests all day long? From my experience WoW, LotRO, and pretty much any other quest based MMO is also just "different lvls, same mission over and over again".

The only real difference in FFXI is that it takes longer, and there are plenty of people out there who prefer that.

The only real difference in FFXI is that it takes longer, and there are plenty of people out there who prefer that.

I don't agree with that. The only problem was the long lfg times. When you got to the point, leveling was fast enough. It also doesn't ramp up as you level as fast either. While after 50 you start to need more exp to level, parties also start getting more exp because of the changed combat mechanics too. And at around 70 you might be able to get levels even faster than before. 

• AngorimAngorim Member Posts: 466

I take it you haven't played FFXI in a long time and it's kinda funny that when they start making changes to speed up leveling and help solo'rs (the "books" you mentioned) that's still not good enough.

The only thing that would make you happy is if the entire game would be revamped to your preferred play style (whatever that may be) and sacrifice their current playerbase that enjoys it for what it is.  I don't currently play FFXI, but I loved it for what it was and "grindy" is the least of the issues the game had.

I don't agree with that. The only problem was the long lfg times. When you got to the point, leveling was fast enough. It also doesn't ramp up as you level as fast either. While after 50 you start to need more exp to level, parties also start getting more exp because of the changed combat mechanics too. And at around 70 you might be able to get levels even faster than before. 

That's true actually, progress does become faster as you reach higher levels, and yes waiting LFG is the bulk of the game's timesink in the levelling process. The overall process is generally slower than that of other MMOs though.

• ChachChach Member Posts: 69

i just pray that my wife loves the game as much as I do so it means some more "game nights!"

• sdeleon515sdeleon515 Member UncommonPosts: 151

There are going to be differences and similarities between FF11 and 14. It would be odd for example for SE to say "guess what we won't have Chocobos". Okay that was a slight joke but it's been stated in famitsu that it'd be a game that would attempt to appeal to the FF11 player without it being too alien and different. Fact is FF11 players ARE one of their target audience and is going to be a large percentage of the players who will buy the game and most likely play it beyond 1/2 years. That said I think the "well it hasn't been released and beta is limited" excuse is also  lacking. This isn't like SE releasing FF11 then going on to release something like EVE or Aion; going in the direction of something dramatically different would usually worry any corporation. The combat speed seems slow but that isn't a surprise, most games are low-lvl slow by default. But I also would say FF14 is no where going to be this "messiah" that the OP is addressing. 

I would say ff14 is much like taking a template of FF11 with advancements in the overall battle-system and reductions in the exploration of the game. Old school mmorpger's wouldn't even pick FF14 as anything near a "messiah". As someone who did ultima and EQ, I would give that off to EVE or Fallen Earth really. My only beef with FF14 is really implementing something unique and special that promotes longevity. EQ readily relied on its novelty of mmorpgs, EVE on its learning curve meaning there is always something there to learn and the universe being dynamic and WoW just on being something fans enjoy (and even if your anti-WoW you can't argue with the fact that it takes care of its base rather well). I would expect FF14 to perform better and be better received than some games like Warharmmer, LoTR and the like. But I don't see it being this "omg its changed everything" or even a "messiah" of sorts. Like Aion I think it'll do what it set out to do well with minimal introductions of novel things but will have behind it similar concepts: expect grind (regardless of whether its good or bad), expect that the highest end, badass armor to require larger groups, expect rmt, expect an AH that has similarities to FF. If I had to choose something that FF11 needed sorely, its a game economy with functionality similar to that of EvE-online. The idea of crafting makes most vets of FF11 laugh and synergy was not this godsend to suddenly make crafting appealing for the mass crafter. 

Originally posted by sdeleon515

There are going to be differences and similarities between FF11 and 14. It would be odd for example for SE to say "guess what we won't have Chocobos". Okay that was a slight joke but it's been stated in famitsu that it'd be a game that would attempt to appeal to the FF11 player without it being too alien and different. Fact is FF11 players ARE one of their target audience and is going to be a large percentage of the players who will buy the game and most likely play it beyond 1/2 years. That said I think the "well it hasn't been released and beta is limited" excuse is also  lacking. This isn't like SE releasing FF11 then going on to release something like EVE or Aion; going in the direction of something dramatically different would usually worry any corporation. The combat speed seems slow but that isn't a surprise, most games are low-lvl slow by default. But I also would say FF14 is no where going to be this "messiah" that the OP is addressing. 

As I posted before in this thread the majority of the people that I know to be anticipating FFXIV are doing so because of the community seen in FFXI. It is not about the game mechanics or doing anything revolutionary... it's because SE have proven that they know how to make an MMO with solid community building tools. That alone is a 'messiah' in the current gen of MMOs as the genre has slowly progressed more and more towards the selfish epeen solo online RPG mentality.

I would say ff14 is much like taking a template of FF11 with advancements in the overall battle-system and reductions in the exploration of the game.

And why would you say that? Nothing has been said to suggest there is less of a world to explore. The game now uses instancing, yes, but that says nothing about the open world which we know is present.

Old school mmorpger's wouldn't even pick FF14 as anything near a "messiah". As someone who did ultima and EQ, I would give that off to EVE or Fallen Earth really. My only beef with FF14 is really implementing something unique and special that promotes longevity.

Try taking a look at the game's job/class system then since as far as I'm aware that is unique to the genre and means that every player is going to have a desire to play almost every class at some point which gives you your longevity. If each class has 50 skill ranks/levels at launch the currently announced seven combat classes total 350 levels on one character... and that's not even including physical level, which functions independently, and the crafting classes which actually have combat skills and other benefits to offer a combat centric character. There are still classes to be announced as well... and to fully maximise your character's potential (since skills can be tranferred between classes you've levelled) a player will have to level every single one on a single character.

EQ readily relied on its novelty of mmorpgs, EVE on its learning curve meaning there is always something there to learn and the universe being dynamic and WoW just on being something fans enjoy (and even if your anti-WoW you can't argue with the fact that it takes care of its base rather well). I would expect FF14 to perform better and be better received than some games like Warharmmer, LoTR and the like. But I don't see it being this "omg its changed everything" or even a "messiah" of sorts. Like Aion I think it'll do what it set out to do well with minimal introductions of novel things... 

As I've already pointed out FFXIV is bringing a LOT of new things to the table... the fact that they've done away with a static class system alone makes it hugely different to the slew of other major MMOs but on top of that they've even changed up the progression system quite dramatically. Also you seem to be forgetting something else; where WoW was origionally catering to its IP fanbase (although now no longer is) FFXIV is also catering to it's fanbase from FFXI as well as general FF fans. I think you are underestimating how many players the franchise alone will bring into this game.

...but will have behind it similar concepts:

expect grind (regardless of whether its good or bad),

This is true of any MMO...

expect that the highest end, badass armor to require larger groups,

We have no information about this yet but they've made a point of making the game much more casual friendly. Even if this does turn out to be the case I don't see how that is a negative, almost every MMO saves the best gear for the larger group encounters.

expect rmt,

Actually no, don't expect RMT. SE were unprepared for them in FFXI's early days but since then have easily become the best dev team to tackle the problem head on. They have an entire team dedicated solely to combatting RMT. Honestly you should expect to see RMT beaten off quite well.

expect an AH that has similarities to FF.

Actually this is currently uncertain. There is a possibility that the game may be relying entirely on direct sales without the intermediary presence of an auction house... we don't have enough info yet though.

If I had to choose something that FF11 needed sorely, its a game economy with functionality similar to that of EvE-online. The idea of crafting makes most vets of FF11 laugh and synergy was not this godsend to suddenly make crafting appealing for the mass crafter. 

Well since the crafting classes are actually going to be fleshed out to the point that they rival the combat classes (as in you can be a crafter and nothing but if you want to) and since we know players will actually depend on player crafters to repair equipment due to item decay... I think it's safe to say the game economy is going to be much improved over what we saw in FFXI.

I'm sorry if this post comes off as a fanboy-ish rant but I'd appreciate it if you could look up the things you're talking about before telling people what to expect. We already have a lot of information on the game if you take the time to look and we already know that it will be vastly different to both FFXI and any other MMO on the market. Will it be a 'messiah'? Doubtful... but it's probably the best chance the genre is going to get for a very long time.

• jf1vejf1ve Member Posts: 18

Originally posted by ChaosInc

I'm not looking for it to be "old school", but I do hope that it holds come comparison to vanilla WoW.  You know, back in the day when it took a brain to do things, like find quest objectives or long, involved quest lines to gain access to a dungeon (key to UBRS anyone?).

This guy gets the point.

The most compelling features of FFXI were exactly the same, a sense of accomplishment. Not just building your bank, or walking around letting people see how fast you have leveld since they last saw you. If you have played FFXI, you know what accomplishment is; that is if you REALLY played it, especially in the beginning.

Most people just don't understand what made FFXI great. It really is so much different than just about every other MMO I've played. Those type of feelings I got at the beginning of FFXI were the same I obtained again when WOW was launched. NOT when expansions started coming out, and the game was watered down so children could play it, and buy their stupid dungeon guides. When I play an MMO I want an adventure, I don't want to follow along with the cookie cutter method of finishing this boss, or that quest. I want mystery, adventure, and uncharted paths. Doing it with a group of friends doesn't hurt.