Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

free demo emails

daveglasdaveglas Member Posts: 4

Ok so this is a slight rant.

Been thinking about trying this game out but its pricey and I would like to demo it first so really please to get my e-mail offering a free unlimited demo, ok you only get to play the federation and i`m sure that there is a few other things locked but it would give me a chance to try.

So downloaded the client (9GB and 3 hours later) signed into my Cryptic account and have spent 15mins going in circles trying to find out where you get the demo key from as the game wont play.

Okay so anyone else have the same problem because it`s not a good start. Makes me not want to play the game.

Additional-- tried to post on the Cyrptic forum but was unable to. Also tried to send a ticket but was unable to do that either.

Comments

• BetabooBetaboo Member Posts: 384

Dont know bud try posting on the official forums i am sure someone can help you their. I am suprised the key was not in the email but then again no i am not this is cryptic we are talking about.

• ZerocydeZerocyde Member UncommonPosts: 412

Make sure you download the demo client, not the regular client like I did. To get the demo access on your account you have to download and install the DEMO client. At the bottom left of the page the email link sends you to it has to links to the demo client.

"It is in your nature to do one thing correctly; Before me, you rightfully tremble. But, fear is not what you owe me. You owe me awe." ~Francis Dolarhyde

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

Originally posted by daveglas

Ok so this is a slight rant.

Been thinking about trying this game out but its pricey and I would like to demo it first so really please to get my e-mail offering a free unlimited demo, ok you only get to play the federation and i`m sure that there is a few other things locked but it would give me a chance to try.

So downloaded the client (9GB and 3 hours later) signed into my Cryptic account and have spent 15mins going in circles trying to find out where you get the demo key from as the game wont play.

Okay so anyone else have the same problem because it`s not a good start. Makes me not want to play the game.

Additional-- tried to post on the Cyrptic forum but was unable to. Also tried to send a ticket but was unable to do that either.

Holy crap, you are lucky! I've been downloading it for 24 hours and it's only 51% complete!

• tkobotkobo Member Posts: 465

OP - Your big mistake..... was in not simply deleting the email ,and ignoring they even sent  it afterwards.

Think of it as an email offerring you the "free chance to stick a fork in your own eye".

• daveglasdaveglas Member Posts: 4

Originally posted by tkobo

OP - Your big mistake..... was in not simply deleting the email ,and ignoring they even sent  it afterwards.

Think of it as an email offerring you the "free chance to stick a fork in your own eye".

Did that found it more fun than trying to play STO. 

Thanks everyone. I`ll move onto something else.

• DinendaeDinendae Member Posts: 1,264

From what I have seen from people discussing the demo on the STO forums, they are saying that from start to finish the demo takes maybe three hours max (I'm guessing that doesn't include time spent in the character builder). Considering how many people have been posting here about how long it is taking to download the client, I hope that's not true.

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

• ZerocydeZerocyde Member UncommonPosts: 412

Because you couldn't figure out how to install a game? rofl, alrighty.

"It is in your nature to do one thing correctly; Before me, you rightfully tremble. But, fear is not what you owe me. You owe me awe." ~Francis Dolarhyde

Originally posted by Dinendae

From what I have seen from people discussing the demo on the STO forums, they are saying that from start to finish the demo takes maybe three hours max (I'm guessing that doesn't include time spent in the character builder). Considering how many people have been posting here about how long it is taking to download the client, I hope that's not true.

yeah it is true. The demo is only three levels so 2-3 hours sounds about right.

knucklehead company knucklehead demos what do you expect?

EDIT: This company is their own worst enemy IMHO

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056

"for a small fee..."

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

Originally posted by Betaboo

EIDT: This company is their own worst enemy IMHO

LOL @ Cryptic.

A 3 hour Demo and not a 14 day Free Trial like every other game company? Well I guess thats the logical thing to do since you can actually complete the entire game in 2 weeks.

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

Originally posted by PyrateLV

LOL @ Cryptic.

A 3 hour Demo and not a 14 day Free Trial like every other game company? Well I guess thats the logical thing to do since you can actually complete the entire game in 2 weeks.

LOL 14 days if they did that people would see what a soggy mess this game is. They would all get to RA5 and then hit the forums and bitch like everyone else does.

14 days=beat the game in cryptic world

• Die_ScreamDie_Scream Member Posts: 1,785

What does the demo include? Just the tutorial until Sol SB or something?

Hardly worth a download if it's three hours of gametime. Maybe if you just want to have the character creator for a bit of fun.

• daveglasdaveglas Member Posts: 4

Originally posted by Zerocyde

Because you couldn't figure out how to install a game? rofl, alrighty.

No, the simple reason is that if a company sends me an e-mail offering a chance to sample their product then forgets to include something as simple as the key to play said product then you have to wonder what else they have forgotten.

After playing quite a few online games and dealing with a few customer service centres, My attitude is that if they cant get the 1st contact right then they might as well  not even bother. I limit myself to 1 online game at a time so the 1 I play better be worth my time and effort.

• raistalin69raistalin69 Member Posts: 575

LOL @ Cryptic.

why did the theme song from gilligans island just pop in to my head when u said 3 hour tour? im imagining the skipper and crew flying away from earth starbase... hmmm

IF THE ONLY DEFENCE FOR CRITICISM OF A GAME IS CALLING SOMEONE A TROLL OR HATER, THAT SAYS A LOT ABOUT THE QUALITY OF THE GAME

Originally posted by Die_Scream

What does the demo include? Just the tutorial until Sol SB or something?

Hardly worth a download if it's three hours of gametime. Maybe if you just want to have the character creator for a bit of fun.

The Cryptic website says the tutorial and one mission.

Originally posted by raistalin69

LOL @ Cryptic.

why did the theme song from gilligans island just pop in to my head when u said 3 hour tour? im imagining the skipper and crew flying away from earth starbase... hmmm

Does that make Jack Emmert the Skipper, or Gilligan?

On a serious note, I can't see why they bothered with a demo at all if it is just the base tutorial and one mission; sure they may sucker in people new to MMOs with that, but a lot of people who have any experience with MMOs will be turned off by it. I guess people could try out all three classes, for about nine hours of demo time, but with advancement limited to just the tutorial and one mission it is just not realy worth it; it's not like the classes are going to play that vastly different from each other. 

I guess I can see a little why they limited it this much, instead of say letting people get to the next ship; if you let people get up just high enough to get the next ship, they're going to see the mission repetiveness kick in. Is there any other MMO out there that has a demo this limited? Sure you have some that limit you to the tutorial area (like AoC) and/or to a certain level (WAR), but they generally have many quests to do and multiple classes that play vastly different from each other. 

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

Originally posted by raistalin69

LOL @ Cryptic.

Does that make Jack Emmert the Skipper, or Gilligan?

On a serious note, I can't see why they bothered with a demo at all if it is just the base tutorial and one mission; sure they may sucker in people new to MMOs with that, but a lot of people who have any experience with MMOs will be turned off by it. I guess people could try out all three classes, for about nine hours of demo time, but with advancement limited to just the tutorial and one mission it is just not realy worth it; it's not like the classes are going to play that vastly different from each other. 

I guess I can see a little why they limited it this much, instead of say letting people get to the next ship; if you let people get up just high enough to get the next ship, they're going to see the mission repetiveness kick in. Is there any other MMO out there that has a demo this limited? Sure you have some that limit you to the tutorial area (like AoC) and/or to a certain level (WAR), but they generally have many quests to do and multiple classes that play vastly different from each other. 

It took me a week to get tired of the AoC demo. This was because I was trying out every class and I figured out that each class type had its own seperate mission line in the tutorial. It was a tad bit repetative, but it was fun overall.

It took me almost three hours to finish the STO demo. How can you tell if you're going to stick with a MMO with such a small amount of time playing?

Also I'm pretty sure Jack is the Skipper and Zinc is Gilligan.

Originally posted by Xondar123

It took me almost three hours to finish the STO demo. How can you tell if you're going to stick with a MMO with such a small amount of time playing?

I'm guessing that's the point; you can't really tell, so there's a chance people may pick it up to see more. Having them pay for a subscription after the initial 30 free days is another story altogether.