Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New board worked great, till I tried to install speed fan

mudstuckmudstuck Member Posts: 203

It installed and fired up without a problem. Ran it for several hours in LOTRO without a hitch. Later I tried to install speed fan, and it froze up, no blue screen, just froze with image on monitor. Oh I do have the user account control turned off, as that has made installs freeze on my before. You know the Vista prompt for permission to do anything.

After staying froze and unresposive, for quite some time, I had to kill the power, to shut it down. Upon reboot, it started posting and then came to the point where I got the critical error messege, giving me the option to start in safe mode, normal etc. My arrow keys wouldnt respond, not the num pad ones either, so it automaatically tried to start windows normally. Then I got this , which is paraphrased a bit.

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware, or software change might be the cause.

1-Insert Windows discc and restart

2-Choose Language / click next

3-Click repair computer

If you dont have the original disc, contact sytem admin

File : Windows sys 32 giveio.sys

Info:Windows failed to load because crytical driver is missing or corrupt.

giveio iso was the speedfan file name, I had noticed when downloading, the freeze happened after the download, during the actual install, just as my antivi, firewall asked permission for the action. I gave permission, then the freeze. I use Comodo.

So I opened the drive, inserted my OS disc (windows vista 32) shut the machine off via start button, and restarted the machine.

upon restarting, the drive door closed, and the machine began posting, and the drive stated spinning up, as if it were going to boot for a clean install. Got to the part where it said boot from cd/dvd drive press any key to continue, and the key board wasnt recognized again.

Then it went back to the same original messege. I did try disconnecting all the power to the board and disconnecting all devices, and waited about 30 minutes... same thing

Tried even putting the board disc in, same thing. Tried using  another hard drive with an OS on it, and basically the same thing, sans the part about sys 32 giveio.sys, of course.

Now I did get into the bios settting, to make the cd drive the primary boot device. Key board worked fine for that.

Right now every thing is unhooked, And I am letting it sit for several hours, as I read giving the board 5 hours without power can help it.

Any thoughts ?

Comments

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462

USB keyboard? In the past on Pc's when I've had issues of the keyboard not working during post it was due to a setting in the bios to tell the keyboard to be USB at post and not P2B. But since you said you got in to the Bios you keyboard is working at the start of the post. It might be worth looking for such a setting anyway in the Bios and try again with the Vista disc repair. There's always try use a P2B

Also if you do get the keyboard working in the menu you get if you keep pressing F8 on most Pc's to get the Safe mode during post etc options, try the use last known good configuration out of the menu choice, but the vista disk fix is the best bet once you get the keyboard responding.

• mudstuckmudstuck Member Posts: 203

Originally posted by IAmMMO

USB keyboard? In the past on Pc's when I've had issues of the keyboard not working during post it was due to a setting in the bios to tell the keyboard to be USB at post and not P2B. But since you said you got in to the Bios you keyboard is working at the start of the post. It might be worth looking for such a setting anyway in the Bios and try again with the Vista disc repair. There's always try use a P2B

Also if you do get the keyboard working in the menu you get if you keep pressing F8 on most Pc's to get the Safe mode during post etc options, try the use last known good configuration out of the menu choice, but the vista disk fix is the best bet once you get the keyboard responding.

My keyboard is USB. I have an old keyboard with the round plug, and had tried that one, when I first started the machine, it didnt work at all. But that was before all of this happened, after the intital motherboard install.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

fan setting!did your system overheat!it sound like it did!make sure you set achi in your os before your bios (if you do use it)or you might have bad issue!aside from that not mutch can be wrong if you followed mobo instruction they are pretty torough!

Speed fan never got installed, so I didnt alter any fan settings, if thats what you mean.

I played LOTRO for four hours with no problems, and went to bed.

The next day I woke up, turned on the machine, checked e-mail, etc, and decided to install speed fan, just to see if my cpu was running as cool as it was in my old board.

I cannot at this point log in to widows. I am hung up in the post. I can get into bios.I dont know how to get into my OS before the BIOS.

I cannot boot from disc, to re install windows. My cd drive is set as primary boot device.

The machine was running very nice, I had the side cover off, making sure all the fans were running. I never felt any hot air, which I checked several time while playing the game.

After several hours of playing my game without issue, I put the side cover back on and went to bed.

If I could just get it to let me re- install windows that would be a start I suppose.

Suggestions?

• MeromorphMeromorph Member Posts: 75

Have you tried resetting the BIOS to factory defaults?   After trying doing that reset, go ahead and reset the CD drive to primary and re-install Windows.   

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Originally posted by Meromorph

Have you tried resetting the BIOS to factory defaults?   After trying doing that reset, go ahead and reset the CD drive to primary and re-install Windows.   

I agree with Meromorph. From long time experiance with this sort of trouble I recommend a fresh install of Windows when you install a new motherboard.

There are two different things happening here. One, with so many different hardware and bus settings Widows is causing all kinds of irq conflicts btween the new board hardware and the old ghost hardware settings. Two, Windows' own security is seeing your new mainboard as a whole new machine so isn't seeing this Windows installation as valid. Even after you get Vista reinstalled expect to have to call Microsoft for a new activation/validation key. Its free they will just ask you to verify that you are using Windows on this machine only.

Hope hat helps.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• VooDoo_PapaVooDoo_Papa Member UncommonPosts: 897

Couple of questions since Ive been watching your progress since you first started having issues with your old setup.

Did you do a complete re-installation of windows and start from scratch?  Or did you use the same boot drive that was on your other computer and let windows re-detect the new hardware and install it?

Did speedfan come from a new download, or a backup off the old machine?  Are any of the games or apps backups from your old build, or are they clean installs?

You say your hung up at POST, do you hear any beeps?  How does the new motherboard display or announce its POST codes?  If its halting on you during boot up, you need to know what piece of hardware is failing.

P.S. I know you're reluctant to reset the CMOS (understandably so).  However it may be your best option.  Dont do it through jumpers, just pop the battery out for an hour or so (some people say 5 hours) and replace it.  Your CMOS will reset to factory requiring you to go into setup.  Make sure you have the correct boot drive selected.

Originally posted by Tardcore

I agree with Meromorph. From long time experiance with this sort of trouble I recommend a fresh install of Windows when you install a new motherboard.

There are two different things happening here. One, with so many different hardware and bus settings Widows is causing all kinds of irq conflicts btween the new board hardware and the old ghost hardware settings. Two, Windows' own security is seeing your new mainboard as a whole new machine so isn't seeing this Windows installation as valid. Even after you get Vista reinstalled expect to have to call Microsoft for a new activation/validation key. Its free they will just ask you to verify that you are using Windows on this machine only.

Hope hat helps.

Oh yes, I forgot to post that. I did reset the defaults in the BIOS. I then couldnt istall from disc, as it wanted a ploppy. So I went back into BIOS, and set the CD ROM as Primary Boot Device.

Then when I went to Install Windows from disc, it said missing component, Boot Manager.

Originally posted by VooDoo_Papa

Couple of questions since Ive been watching your progress since you first started having issues with your old setup.

Did you do a complete re-installation of windows and start from scratch?  Or did you use the same boot drive that was on your other computer and let windows re-detect the new hardware and install it?

Did speedfan come from a new download, or a backup off the old machine?  Are any of the games or apps backups from your old build, or are they clean installs?

You say your hung up at POST, do you hear any beeps?  How does the new motherboard display or announce its POST codes?  If its halting on you during boot up, you need to know what piece of hardware is failing.

P.S. I know you're reluctant to reset the CMOS (understandably so).  However it may be your best option.  Dont do it through jumpers, just pop the battery out for an hour or so (some people say 5 hours) and replace it.  Your CMOS will reset to factory requiring you to go into setup.  Make sure you have the correct boot drive selected.

No Papa, and Ive thought about that. Because Im so retarded, Im scared, or was to try and change it. It found all the drivers, and then I mistakingly thought, well if it aint broke, dont fix it (was plumber for 26 years). So everything it had, Windows, my game, was all from the old build.

Now as for Speed fan, I havent had it on that hard drive, since the last clean install. It I downloaded ok, then went to install it, thats when Comodo asked my permision to let it install. When I hit the Allow box, the machine froze.

Which is refreshing my thinking, Um, before I played my game the first night after build, I uninstalled Spybot, and Avast. then downloaded and indtalled Comodo, and Spyware terminator. (been using them on this machine and like some of the features)

I hear no beeps, I'll havetp put it back together to tell you about the specific order it posting correctly. But in general it shows the ram, and hard drive, the video etc, and gets to the part where, windows usually starts running, and then issues the messege I detailed above.

I know Im feeling real stupid for not doing a clean install, while it was running so sweet. And you even told me the other day.

I have no excuse. And no I didnt get the ASUS. I know ,I know. It's just all the old machines we have around here have gigabyte motherboards, and that one had all the features plus layout, and the highest approval rating of the ones that would fit in my case. These old machine, like this one have been running for God, like 8 to ten years. My roomy has a 6 year old gamer, that was my old one, and it has an ASUS board, a premium model, that was near 500 dollars back in the day. But these other are all low dollar,(Budget Boards) with on board graphics, and I let that factor into my decission.

It may not be the board, I feel it's because I was stupid and didnt install that wWindows again, and now it wont let me.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Originally posted by mudstuck

Originally posted by Tardcore

Hope hat helps.

Oh yes, I forgot to post that. I did reset the defaults in the BIOS. I then couldnt istall from disc, as it wanted a ploppy. So I went back into BIOS, and set the CD ROM as Primary Boot Device.

Then when I went to Install Windows from disc, it said missing component, Boot Manager.

The missing boot manager error sounds like it is not finding anything bootable on your cd-rom drive. Are you sure your drives are recognized in the BIOS and are you sure your Vista cd is a bootable one?

EDIT: Oh yeah, you aren't stupid for having a computer problem like this. I think any of us who has some time working on computers have had these kinds of diffculties.

2ND EDIT: I hear no beeps, I'll havetp put it back together to tell you about the specific order it posting correctly. But in general it shows the ram, and hard drive, the video etc, and gets to the part where, windows usually starts running, and then issues the messege I detailed above.

OK I just read that part of your post. Your hardware is funtioning fine, it is Windows bloody validation feature keeping your machine from booting. If you can get the machine to boot to safemode (F8 during post) you can create a new user account with admin rights which should get Vista to boot up normally one time to at least backup any important data.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

you said it was complaining about a boot manager?  Do you have a complete windows install disc, an upgrade disc or a windows repair type disc that came from a pre-built?

speedfan queues hardware information when it executes, its possible something got really corrupted when you ran it on a computer with a different motherboard.  Its a stretch, but its the only thing that sounds logical to me.

and ya, you should have started with a clean install.  However, if the disc you have isnt a full/complete new installation CD you were screwed from the get-go. 

oh, go into your BIOS and make sure your hard drive settings are correct.  Try switching between AHCI, RAID, IDE, SATA  whatever you have and see if that does the trick.  If you reset your cmos, theres a chance it was reset to something other than what you installed windows under.  That could also be a culprit of it comlplaining about a boot manger if its running under a mode not supported by your HD

you said it was complaining about a boot manager?  Do you have a complete windows install disc, an upgrade disc or a windows repair type disc that came from a pre-built?

speedfan queues hardware information when it executes, its possible something got really corrupted when you ran it on a computer with a different motherboard.  Its a stretch, but its the only thing that sounds logical to me.

and ya, you should have started with a clean install.  However, if the disc you have isnt a full/complete new installation CD you were screwed from the get-go. 

oh, go into your BIOS and make sure your hard drive settings are correct.  Try switching between AHCI, RAID, IDE, SATA  whatever you have and see if that does the trick.  If you reset your cmos, theres a chance it was reset to something other than what you installed windows under.  That could also be a culprit of it comlplaining about a boot manger if its running under a mode not supported by your HD

Ok, so from reading all of this, the post before this, and all the others, I need to look in bios, see about my drive config. For now Im using one Sata HD. So select SATA

While in there I'm thinking it may show something about USB, perhaps thast why my key board wont let me select safe mode, etc, or the other functions, when Im not in BIOS?

My CD is a full install, but perhaps I should try a XP full , that I also have?

Incase I didnt say this, I tried another Hard drive, which I cloned xp on to from this machine. Nearly the same results, OK, but when it got to the part of the post where windows actually starts. I actually saw the windows screen, for a split second.Then it went into the screen that gives me the safe mode, original, last working, or start windows normally. And still no keyboard, up or down arrow, control to select one. So it did a count down and tried to start windows normally, by default, and continud this in a rolling restart of the same sequence, over and over.

And no I still couldnt get it to do a clean install on that, drive, Which I just hooked the original drive power to, and original drive sata cable to, to operate, so still only one drive same sata prt.

Now could it make a difference which sata port I use? Surely not, Im in sata 0, port. I beter double check that zero is the one to use. Ive read it, but....... Ive read lotta things I mis remember.

OK thanks again, I do appreciate all the help.

as for the keyboard not operating, ive seen this before on keyboards that draw a lot of power such as a G15.  I had to get a stripped down vanilla USB keyboard that drew less power and it worked. 

Also make sure "USB Legacy support" and "USB Keyboard support" are turned on in the BIOS

hard drive usually select sata ide (default)you can set it sata ahci(better)dont worry os will detect it!ps:but if you set it to ahci and you dont reinstall os and os was in ide mode then it wont detect it and nothing will work because in that case you got to manually put it in ahci in os ,but if you re-install it auto detect this!

after that i think your dvd or cd reader isnt connected to the proper place or it doesnt get power check online the proper way to hook it up from mobo manufacturer if you dont have the mobo booklet!all mobo manufacturer are  pretty good at this

gigabite mobo is as good as asus so its not biggy just go to their site for proper info!

connect as they mention and you should be fine everything as been plug and play for a  decade so its a small detail you missed!

its often the silliest stuff(reverify all wire all plug everything twice then close box and try to reinstall os!

if you have more then one hard drive you ll probably need to set it to raid in bios!i would tell how but never had more then one hd since there are too many possible setting i tend to avoid more then one hd!

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347

If your just looking at the temps of your cores go with CORETEMP if you wanna mess with fans speed fan.

Coretemps doesn't mess with anythign so its great just to look at your temps.

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

• dirtyjoe78dirtyjoe78 Member Posts: 400

You do not need to reinstall windows on a fresh motherboard, if the chipset is similar windows HAL will recognize the chipset and windows will boot you just need to make sure you have all the proper drivers installed and remove the old ones.  A few things to not do dont mess with your bios hard drive settings changing from AHCI to SATA or Raid or IDE will cause windows to not boot because it does not have the proper driver installed to recognize the drive so dont mess with those settings make sure thye ae the same as when windows was working.  Attempt to get into safe mode to remove all of speedfan if you can not get into windows safe mode or otherwise you can attempt to repair your OS with the vista disk.  Unfortunately vista and win 7 disks do not have the repair install option anymore which is a huge pain in the ass.  There are some command line options you can try to fix your PC depending on your comfort level with command line and replacing windows files.  If it comes down to it and you have to reinstall but you want to save the data from your old install just install windows over top of your old install vista will make a directory under C: called windows.old which will have all of your data in it.  This is an error that happened from installing a program it is not a bios issue so stop messing with the bios. 

Originally posted by dirtyjoe78

You do not need to reinstall windows on a fresh motherboard, if the chipset is similar windows HAL will recognize the chipset and windows will boot you just need to make sure you have all the proper drivers installed and remove the old ones.  A few things to not do dont mess with your bios hard drive settings changing from AHCI to SATA or Raid or IDE will cause windows to not boot because it does not have the proper driver installed to recognize the drive so dont mess with those settings make sure thye ae the same as when windows was working.  Attempt to get into safe mode to remove all of speedfan if you can not get into windows safe mode or otherwise you can attempt to repair your OS with the vista disk.  Unfortunately vista and win 7 disks do not have the repair install option anymore which is a huge pain in the ass.  There are some command line options you can try to fix your PC depending on your comfort level with command line and replacing windows files.  If it comes down to it and you have to reinstall but you want to save the data from your old install just install windows over top of your old install vista will make a directory under C: called windows.old which will have all of your data in it.  This is an error that happened from installing a program it is not a bios issue so stop messing with the bios. 

If I could judt get it to install from disc, let me start in safe mode, that would be huge. I have plenty O' OS disc'c to use. Someone mentioned about making sure the dvd drive was connected properly, yes it is. It is an IDE, and there is only one IDE connector on this board. All the components in the machine, sans motherboard, were on the old build, operating under the current OS install in the HD.

The speed fan, install triggered the problem, the post message verify's that. So what did speed fan alter, which would A) lock up a machine, B)make the machine think it has no Boot Manager, C) undo key board opration At the safe mode select start screen, but still allow me F key control at post, and key board operation in BIOS?

Im still thinking about the floppy having been the primary boot device, by default, and at one point during thisasking me to format the floppy disc (which I dont have floppy's never have used one in my life) it just did that because it was wanting to auto clean install and the floppy was default primary boot device.

Could that floppy be a key to a sollution? Like could I do anything in a possative direction, with a floppy of some sort?

Have other machines with floppy drives, say (and I dont know) get the board drivers from gigabyte put them on a floppy, and see what happens? I have no clue about this latter, just grasping at straws.

If I could judt get it to install from disc, let me start in safe mode, that would be huge. I have plenty O' OS disc'c to use. Someone mentioned about making sure the dvd drive was connected properly, yes it is. It is an IDE, and there is only one IDE connector on this board. All the components in the machine, sans motherboard, were on the old build, operating under the current OS install in the HD.

The speed fan, install triggered the problem, the post message verify's that. So what did speed fan alter, which would A) lock up a machine, B)make the machine think it has no Boot Manager, C) undo key board opration At the safe mode select start screen, but still allow me F key control at post, and key board operation in BIOS?

Im still thinking about the floppy having been the primary boot device, by default, and at one point during thisasking me to format the floppy disc (which I dont have floppy's never have used one in my life) it just did that because it was wanting to auto clean install and the floppy was default primary boot device.

Could that floppy be a key to a sollution? Like could I do anything in a possative direction, with a floppy of some sort?

Have other machines with floppy drives, say (and I dont know) get the board drivers from gigabyte put them on a floppy, and see what happens? I have no clue about this latter, just grasping at straws.

the floppy being primary boot is a non-issue.  It would only boot from your floppy if you had a bootable disc in the floppy, it wouldnt require you to have a bootable disc in the floppy unless it saw no other boot options.  In other words, are you sure your sata is set as a boot device?

so what have you tried so far?  Did you check the AHCI, IDE, SATA settings?  Did you cycle through those to see if you could get the PC to see the drive?

what about the keyboard?  did you try enabling legacy support and ensure USB keyboard was turned on?

the floppy being primary boot is a non-issue.  It would only boot from your floppy if you had a bootable disc in the floppy, it wouldnt require you to have a bootable disc in the floppy unless it saw no other boot options.  In other words, are you sure your sata is set as a boot device?

so what have you tried so far?  Did you check the AHCI, IDE, SATA settings?  Did you cycle through those to see if you could get the PC to see the drive?

what about the keyboard?  did you try enabling legacy support and ensure USB keyboard was turned on?

When you say (my sata) do you mean my hard drive? Is that the drive we are talking about. I may have gotten screwed up. Ive been thinking that my CD/ROM drive needed to be the primary boot device, to get it to read the windows cd.

At any rate its all back to default now, I couldnt carry it back in here to set it up yesterday. So Im feeling beter and will try it all again today.

A couple days of pain and I have a hard time remembering things very clearly, I know kinda hard to help a guy who cant remember what he did three days ago.

When I get it hooked back up, I'll get back to you guys and go thru all the questions.

Thank you for bearing with me. But I do remember the hard drive was listed by name in the boot menue. So I will check to make sure it is deing seen as a sata, in the AHCI, IDE, SATA, settings.

ya this is a default on most system ,floppy used to be the rage and lot stiif have climbed aboard the usb key rage