Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General 'STO is disatisfactory' thread.

Comments

• rdrakkenrdrakken Member Posts: 426

Being a very long time Star Trek fan I do have to admit that any MMO made for Star Trek will be bad.

Its either nothing like Star Trek, like this one and we will hate it for it...or it will be JUST like Star Trek and be boring as a game...the shows and movies(dont talk to me about that new thing that came out recently) were NOT action based but story based and story based MMOs tend to suck...and also traps you into a linear game which will then take away from the openess of the Star Trek universe.

It was lose/lose from the start.

• NBForrest1NBForrest1 Member Posts: 11

It seems like  this game might make an ok single player game but i didn`t play it very long because you have to pay real money to be able to use the community forums. I just didnt see any sense in playing a multi player game that  locks F2P players out of the community forums and makes them feel like they are not a part of the game`s community unless they put up some cold hard cash for the privledge.

I have no interest in paying real money to be a part of a game`s community.

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,789
    Originally posted by NBForrest1
    It seems like  this game might make an ok single player game but i didn`t play it very long because you have to pay real money to be able to use the community forums. I just didnt see any sense in playing a multi player game that  locks F2P players out of the community forums and makes them feel like they are not a part of the game`s community unless they put up some cold hard cash for the privledge.

News flash, unless you have some "cold hard cash" you don't get the "privledge" of doing a lot of things in life.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• NBForrest1NBForrest1 Member Posts: 11
    Originally posted by Gruug

News flash, unless you have some "cold hard cash" you don't get the "privledge" of doing a lot of things in life.

news flash, STO isn`t real life it`s a game, i have no interest in paying real money to be a part of a game`s community, i kept my cash and  moved on to other games.

Thank you for your opinion on my opinion of the game.

Originally posted by Gruug

news flash, STO isn`t real life it`s a game, i have no interest in paying real money to be a part of a game`s community, i moved on to other games.

News flash, games are played by "real life" people in the "real" world. To do things in the "real" world you have to spend "real" cash. Especially things that are considered PRODUCTS. Guess what, games are PRODUCTS just like candy or gas or cars or movies. Unless you plan to steal those products, you will have to pay for them. Games are not different....I don't care how companies (and players) try to falsely label them as "free to play".

• cylon8cylon8 Member UncommonPosts: 362
    this is why perpetual dropped the ip......fanbois can't be pleased no matter what you do. noone understands that cryptic leases the ip from cbs who like lucas and star wars has the final say over the flexibility of the ip. When cryptic was owned by atari the gimped the staffing and funding for sto..is it a perfect game NO, is it god awful NO.  This is the problem everyone here is a mmo expert yet they have yet to make a successful game themselves

so say we all

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

I agree, they've really not been forthcoming with their upgrades they promised. Every time i see anything it's a new box or some such other nonsense.

They've needed to add new STFs to this title for years now and still havent' Altho they have improved dilithium aquisition they have not improved gameplay or missions relying solely on the foundry for new content is not the same thing.

Their support in this company is lackluster at best. It took them a whole month to return a single ship, the only one they could find out of the large list of ships I purchased from the store a year ago, and their very own email system couldn't handle the 617k sized screenshot that their very own game generated. I had to shrink that so they could receive it.

Seriously bad management involved here. Someone needs to just take over this ship and revamp everything starting with their crappy service.

Originally posted by cylon8
    this is why perpetual dropped the ip......fanbois can't be pleased no matter what you do. noone understands that cryptic leases the ip from cbs who like lucas and star wars has the final say over the flexibility of the ip. When cryptic was owned by atari the gimped the staffing and funding for sto..is it a perfect game NO, is it god awful NO.  This is the problem everyone here is a mmo expert yet they have yet to make a successful game themselves

I agree with your post except I may have misunderstood that starting statement, "perpetual dropped the ip".  Perpetual didn't drop it, they went under and Cryptic stepped in to pick it (ST ip) up.  

• jaifjaif Member UncommonPosts: 12

This game frustrates me.  Unlike many in this thread, I like most of the sub-systems in the game.  What ticked me off was that they never actually had the federation vs klingons war that they promoted.  I know many here want a peaceful diplomacy/exploration game, but I bought into playing the war that never actually materialized.

I really wish they would make the game "pile on the federation".  We know that the feds get the best toys and the most players; it would be fun to have a bunch of alien races nipping at the federation in short wars...maybe gaining a bit, maybe losing a bit.  Small bits of meaningful map control starting with raids and diplomatic missions, moving to a brief period of outright warfare for a time, and then the map is redrawn one way or another and peace returns.

-Jeff

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

I would love to see a territorial control system added to the game at some point as well.  It's one of the things they've talked about adding for a while, and is still on their radar according to some of the latest comments from DStahl.

Still, I like the direction the game is moving in, and I think they've added a lot to the game over the years to keep it enjoyable to this point.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by Rohn

I would love to see a territorial control system added to the game at some point as well.  It's one of the things they've talked about adding for a while, and is still on their radar according to some of the latest comments from DStahl.

Still, I like the direction the game is moving in, and I think they've added a lot to the game over the years to keep it enjoyable to this point.

They've got more lock boxes and store items to create first.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730
    Originally posted by Zekiah

They've got more lock boxes and store items to create first.

That's funny, because the free content they've put out absolutely dwarfs the content they've put out in the C-Store or lockboxes.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• jaifjaif Member UncommonPosts: 12

It's one of the things they've talked about adding for a while, and is still on their radar according to some of the latest comments from DStahl.

a) The comment from him that I saw was in response to a question about what he wished he could do.  It didn't sound like a practical thing.

b) Again, I stress that the initial marketing was about a federation/klingon war.  In fact, klingons were unlocked by (essentially) playing the fed tutorial, and then levelled up almost solely through PvP combined with bare-bones PvE.  Map warfare was obviously an intent that never materialized.

Whatever.  I would love to play this game again.  The feel is good to me, and like I said I enjoy the sub-systems.  But I don't need another dungeon grind for gear, I just want to take my spaceship out into the frontier and take my chances with real people.

• I for one have been having some of the most fun I've had in an MMO in STO. I honestly love it, and look forward to being able to log in and play daily. 
  • simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134

STO is a smooth , enjoyable experience now for a lot of people

we can have tons of fun, without spending any Money at all

it doesnt have the huge, Deep universe of WOW or EVE, but it

supports a big variety of playstyles

its not like a big, juicy steak,,more like a small, sweet dessert

i see STO growing a lot in the future

keep up the good Work, and ill send more hamster food

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015
    I had a pretty good time in STO. I wasn't dissatisfied when I left and occasionally log back in.

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

Dear MOD:

One may be 'disatisfied' with STO, STO may even be disatisfied with you (if we anthropomorphize it). However. STO, nor any second person object, can be 'disatisfactory'.

"STO is unsatisfactory," would be the better title.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• untatkiestyeruntatkiestyer Member Posts: 5

Star Trek Online is still a far cry from the kind of experience Gene Roddenberry would knowingly embrace were he with us today. Socio-political overtones aside, at its heart Star Trek is about exploration, discovery and diving headlong into the great unknown. To do the license real justice Star Trek Online should be a living, breathing economy-led sandbox game where the players themselves have the scope to become captains of legend and, by extension, an intrinsic part of game lore. Factions and alliances should rise and fall and great battles should be fought to the dying breath.

• CacaphonyCacaphony Member Posts: 738

Originally posted by untatkiestyer
    Star Trek Online is still a far cry from the kind of experience Gene Roddenberry would knowingly embrace were he with us today.

I think this bit defines the whole issue between this game and the IP it represents. The IP was very established in its world, characters, events and cultures. The game tries to take a little of each, mostly in lore and backstory, and tries to inject their own spin or twist on the already established cannon and IP.

The IP remains established, while the game results in being tacked on, minimal, and hardly supplementary to the story arcs in Star Trek, barely offering anything substantial to further advance or enhance the Star Trek experience.

I just don't think the game was MEANT to be anything adding on to the IP really. Sure, the game needs it's own "story" (if you can call a war between the feds and kllinks a story since its been done a few times already). The writers at Cryptic were either very unimaginative or had to write content that didn't surpass the game engines capabilities. Probably the latter rather the former.

So, this game hinders itself probably in every possible category (while some aspects ARE most definatley fun) because of the game engine and technology used to keep the game running.

I think if we keep that in mind, the game wont be so bad.

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134

Star Trek Online is still a far cry from the kind of experience Gene Roddenberry would knowingly embrace were he with us today. Socio-political overtones aside, at its heart Star Trek is about exploration, discovery and diving headlong into the great unknown. To do the license real justice Star Trek Online should be a living, breathing economy-led sandbox game where the players themselves have the scope to become captains of legend and, by extension, an intrinsic part of game lore. Factions and alliances should rise and fall and great battles should be fought to the dying breath.

so, a mix of SWG and EVE?

that kind of game is only enjoyable for a small hardcore crowd

if STO had gone that way, it would be dead now

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823
    Originally posted by simplius

so, a mix of SWG and EVE?

that kind of game is only enjoyable for a small hardcore crowd

if STO had gone that way, it would be dead now

If only it were a mix of EVE and SWG, sigh. Now it just wallows in mediocrity, which is way better.

• green13green13 Member UncommonPosts: 1,341

I quite like the game and think most of the changes the developers have been making are very positive.

But if your character becomes bugged, they can just refuse to fix it. That's a really serious problem. What's the point in spending potentially hundreds of hours doing the various grinds if your character can become bugged and all you can do to fix it is delete and start over?

On top of the non-existent customer service problem is PWE's abject rudeness and dishonesty. The Star Trek IP is about as goody-two-shoes as it gets. Gene Roddenberry is probably turning in his grave with his baby in the hands of these monsters.

• DijonCyanideDijonCyanide Member UncommonPosts: 586

I still think STO is one of the best, if not the best, F2P MMOs out there especially for a sci-fi theme.  As with all games there are ups & downs.  I began as a F2P then became a Lifer.  If anyone ever begins playing STO I do recommend paying for a 1 month subscription.  It is a GREAT value as you level up your character.  The disappointing fact is that if you level-up first then subscribe for 1 month not all the perks are retroactive which is a shame.

Yes, they still take what seems like forever upon fixing small "bugs" in the game based on their priority list & seem less than willing to communicate the whys, wheres, & hows at times for these "bugs" via customer service, forums, & or patch notes.  Then again, I'm sure that is a difficult juggling act.

This Delta Rising at first glance I'm enthused about, but also cautious about if this indicates a STO trend towards P2W.  Without all the details being given about their package deal they decide to place it on sale & some of the packages' details seem chinsy compared to past packages for that type pricing.

I play STO a couple of times a week.  In time of in-game events more often when possible.  This latest expansion even inspired me to review Voyager again & I just ended all of season 1.

Good game, good value, but it does seem to be approaching a crossroads where it could remain friendly for players, even F2P, or transition towards a more cash-grab type of game.  It has become my primary game for now.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000

I generally like the game. I've leveled 2 Romulans, 1 Federation, and 1 Klingon Officer.  I've mostly enjoyed doing the story lines. I found some bugs that frustrated me but it's the same for other MMO's out there, you have to go online and research the work-around.  I like the player created content.  

Don't like Arc and how they are pushing it and I remember reading a part of Arc's legal statement that said they had the right to install third party software and take no responsibility for what it was suppose to do.

And don't get me started on corporations treating their customer base more like employees and getting governments to pass laws that in the end make them even richer.  Thanks to Monsanto every human on the planet has pesticides in their system.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• BadgeOfHonorBadgeOfHonor Member CommonPosts: 6
    For me, the dissatisfaction is with their forum moderation. I got banned with no warning and no reason given. I've emailed Perfect World 8 times trying to get *some* information. Haven't even received an auto-reply.

Seriously, if they can't handle people speaking their mind, they should just shut down the forum completely. At least then we'll all be on equal footing.