Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General 'STO is disatisfactory' thread.

Comments

• ClawzonClawzon Member UncommonPosts: 188

To sum it up: Flop Trek Offline  -  Fail me up Scotty!

:)

• CacaphonyCacaphony Member Posts: 738

What makes me laugh, is the comments by the devs and community reps on the STO forums claiming to be huge Star Trek fans.    And they will not release content till they feel that it is awesome.  I read those statements... then I look at this game and I just start laughing.

I honestly do not think Cryptic knows the fan base they are dealing with.  They said they did... but I doubt that very much.

• ScribbleLay1ScribbleLay1 Member Posts: 177

Originally posted by Cacaphony

What makes me laugh, is the comments by the devs and community reps on the STO forums claiming to be huge Star Trek fans.    And they will not release content till they feel that it is awesome.  I read those statements... then I look at this game and I just start laughing.

I honestly do not think Cryptic knows the fan base they are dealing with.  They said they did... but I doubt that very much.

To me it looks like the only shows they watched was the opening sceens from Voyager.  Every instance you enter you have that same asteroid filled, Nova covered screen, just like the start of Voyager.  Cryptic also said that the TV Shows and the Movies were canon and that they were not going to change a damn thing, but then again didn't they also say that this was not for your regular Star Trek fan,, ohh well, I guess I Just Don't Get It.

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

Originally posted by DoomsDay01

Originally posted by Hagonbok

Originally posted by wyodragon

false statement city of heros and city of villians was made by NC SOFT cryptic had little to do with the game as far as building it or designing it if they did why would they bring out a game to try to match it called champions online??

While I agree with most of what you say, I must correct you on this point. Cryptic did make both City of Heroes and City of VillainsNC Soft was the publisher, and then bought Cryptic out in 2007.

Calling the games "massively successful" is pretty funny though.

Yep, NCSOFT was the publisher. Cryptic is the one who created them. Oh and the way your statement reads, ncsoft did not buy out cryptic, they bought the game. it just kinda looks like it is saying they bought cryptic themselves.

I also would say it was massively successful. There are still a lot of people playing that game. Compared to almost any other mmo out there except wow, it would be considered massively successful.

COH muddles around with maybe a third teir of gamers as I would suppose that LOTRO,EVE,Aion may still all have more subs than COH.  Now if you consider it's a no name ip based on superheroes made with the same shallow design philosophies used by the now Cryptic I would agree it is a mssive success.

And while the op was somewhat wrong about the creator of Cryptic as pointed out by another poster, NC published COH Cryptic made it but for some reason the people most centrally responsible for COH's development did not go with Cryptic they created Paragon studios which leads one to believe they knew something we all didn't yet.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• KelvrekKelvrek Member Posts: 86

Originally posted by jaxsundane

And while the op was somewhat wrong about the creator of Cryptic as pointed out by another poster, NC published COH Cryptic made it but for some reason the people most centrally responsible for COH's development did not go with Cryptic they created Paragon studios which leads one to believe they knew something we all didn't yet.

That sounds a little conspiracy theory for my tastes.  I think that they just stayed with a successful (read: profitable) project that they had put a lot of work into.  Many CoX friends of mine freaked out that NC Soft was going to add a cash shop and try to get extra money from the players.  Although there were a few costume packets and origin packets players could buy, I think NC Soft has done a good job since aquiring CoX.

As far as STO is concerned, I think Cryptic is doing its best to improve the game.  I'm not sure how much heat they are taking for decisions being made by their parent corp.  So far, the devs seem to be at least trying to respond to constructive criticism of their product.  I hope they succeed in making more of their customers happy and silencing some of their rational critics.  Of course, some people will never stop criticizing this game reguardless of what the devs do.

• HagonbokHagonbok Member Posts: 365

The way that mmorpg.com keeps propping up Cryptic despite the clear displeasure shown toward the company and it's games by this site's members is simply despicable. Mmorpg.com should be ashamed of themselves for coddling Cryptic and misrepresenting the quality of it's games (meaning not  acknowledging the lack thereof )to get that companies advertising dollars. If this site isn't for fans of mmorpgs, but is instead simply an advertising platform for the development companies, then they should be open and upfront about that.

• NihilxNihilx Member UncommonPosts: 141

I've been a mmorpg player ever since Ultima and this is probably the worst MMORPG I have ever played. Everything from gameplay and interface to graphics is bad. Even in the first half hour of playing the game there are a ton of obvious bugs.

Really wish I played the demo before spending money on this complete worthless excuse for a MMORPG.

AC (retired); EQ (retired); DAoC (retired); Horizons (retired); EQII (retired); CoH (retired); AC II (tested); Lineage II (beta); Neocron (tested); Saga of Ryzom (beta); SWG (retired)...

• FleshMaskFleshMask Member UncommonPosts: 249

I mean I love STO it is every way like Star Trek...

There's huge space battles in every episode, uniforms are anything including shades and 3 piece suits, the majority of everyone in the show is an admiral, view screens have all the small blue background regaurdless of the different location.

Cryptic, they are way bigger Star Trek fans, I only been watching since the pilot episode of the original series.

In short, this game is everything Gene Roddenberry had in mind when he was creating Star Trek for the first time.

It was as though he knew Cryptic would come along and work hard to make his life's work a crowning achievement of success, enjoyment, and jewel for all to behold.

*Smile breaks out, and laughs Madly*

• ScribbleLay1ScribbleLay1 Member Posts: 177

For a minute I did not know if you were playing the same game everyone else was.

Bazinga

• VentroffVentroff Member Posts: 1

After 9 months in the game here is my review on what is wrong with this game.

• Short learning curve, quick levelling with no end content to provide replay appeal.

• No loot system. Everyone has the same stuff at the same levels. No incentive to play harder or longer

• Single player game.  Definately not an MMO, STF's only allow 5 players max to raid. (Not really a raid, but as close as they get)

• No massive space battles, no open space pvp, no system control.

• Pay to Play but new content is delivered via pay to win system (C-Store)

• Bugged content at every level.

• PVP is the only endgame, yet bugs allow for manipulating of stats for invulnerability. PVP balance is way off.

• Terrible customer service. Threads on official forums that attempt to communicate with the developer team about bugs and exploits are moved, closed and deleted.

• Gameplay is overly repetetive. Every mission is the same from level 1 to 51.

• Environments are recycled again and again. Most MMO have distinction between zones. Castle whatnot looks like castle whatnot, and the plains of wherever look like the plains of wherever and provide constant feelings of continuity. the only places with any distinction in STO are non-combat social areas.

This game is pretty, but terrible. It is a slap in the face to anyone who knows what an MMO actually is. To me it really boils down to false advertising and marketing manipulation.

Unfortunatley this game could have been the best space based MMO to ever hit the market. It shows hints of brilliance, enough to suck you in long enough to hope that the dev team can pull their heads out of their asses and make a real MMO, but after 9 months it is time to accept that they made the game they wanted to make. I just wonder who is going to want to play it much longer.

So sad...

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823

9 Months ? ( Chortle )  Welcome to the disappointed side of the Cryptic fan club. The anti-CDF.  I'll leave it to others to call you disappointed , bitter and basically lacking in any knowledge , unappreciative Trekkie , knowledgeless trekkie, unappreciative to the great stride the All Holy Dstahl has made, where it pertains to STO.

• saya1965saya1965 Member Posts: 46

When I played I tryed to work with them as do I do all the time with other mmos.

I am currently helping and on the forums with fallen Earth, and Rift.

Sto is not on mmo at all.. 

All it is, is a cash grap. Atari had full control of both CO and Sto. they raking in the money now. I will wait and see when Star Wars comes out see what happens there,

• OnsabooOnsaboo Member Posts: 48

Bought this on steam and am really disappointed at this so-called 'MMO'. It's very simplistic and shallow and ultimately becomes very repetitive. The ground combat is hilariously terrible and I find the constant C-Store whoring by Cryptic distasteful for a subscription game.

First Cryptic game I've played, most like the last if they keep pumping out games like these, which seems to be their business model.

• EsherdonEsherdon Member UncommonPosts: 47

STO is like an old girl friend that you keep hooking back up with only to realise why you left her in the first place. I recently re-subbed again and less than 24 hours in I have already canceled my sub. The game looks pretty, I love the character models,  the ships look great, sector space is way better now that you can turn off the silly grid, but under all that beauty it's just a shallow well of boring.

"Onward to adventure".

• EfraihmEfraihm Member Posts: 2

You are right about STO, it is a repetetive P2P single player game without exploration (strange for a game taking place in space) and it has no crafting system at all compared to other MMO's.

/a lifetimer.. *sigh*

Originally posted by Efraihm

You are right about STO, it is a repetetive P2P single player game without exploration (strange for a game taking place in space) and it has no crafting system at all compared to other MMO's.

/a lifetimer.. *sigh*

You forgot the North Korean attitude you get when you try to explain these issues on their forums.

• UzlebUzleb Member Posts: 162

silly me, I paid for three months.

couldn't stand more than one month.

maybe the dev's should watch some star trek, just a thought.

• NovaKayneNovaKayne Member Posts: 743

Originally posted by Uzleb

silly me, I paid for three months.

couldn't stand more than one month.

maybe the dev's should watch some star trek, just a thought.

QFT

Say hello, To the things you've left behind. They are more a part of your life now that you can't touch them.

• unclemounclemo Member UncommonPosts: 462

First impressions:

1. Tutorial is lackluster and I couldn't pick the first officer I really wanted.

2. Ground combat is cluncky at best. 

3. All text NPC's...no voice acting or animation.  Really takes away from the immursion. 

4. Heavily instanced.  Can't I ride up and down a turbolift?  Or experience 'beaming'?

5. EVERYTHING is automated??!!  Press F.  Press F.  Press F some more.  If I am ordered to rescue hostages I should have to access LCARS, do a scan for life forms, start beaming.  Skills and such can determin how fast and what I can beam through.

6. Space combat is awful and has no 'feel' to it.  

7. Graphics are WAY dated.  UI is meh.  Game feels ten years old really...actually older than that.  

8. Overall lack of immursive quallities.  I can't walk around my own dammed ship?  Serious?  I assume they were struggleing with the 'no bathroom' canon on this issue and therfore didn't implement this feature.

9. Where's the other people?  This is an MMO yes?

10. Server instability after TWO full years to address.

11. I have a headache after playing the tutorial.  

It is a shame what they did to this IP.  Sad really.  I guess it's back to my lightsabre until GW2, The Secret World, Tera or Planetside 2 comes along. 

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,956

Originally posted by unclemo

First impressions:

1. Tutorial is lackluster and I couldn't pick the first officer I really wanted.

3. All text NPC's...no voice acting or animation.  Really takes away from the immursion. 

4. Heavily instanced.  Can't I ride up and down a turbolift?  Or experience 'beaming'?

5. EVERYTHING is automated??!!  Press F.  Press F.  Press F some more.  If I am ordered to rescue hostages I should have to access LCARS, do a scan for life forms, start beaming.  Skills and such can determin how fast and what I can beam through.

7. Graphics are WAY dated.  UI is meh.  Game feels ten years old really...actually older than that.  

8. Overall lack of immursive quallities.  I can't walk around my own dammed ship?  Serious?  I assume they were struggleing with the 'no bathroom' canon on this issue and therfore didn't implement this feature.

It is a shame what they did to this IP.  Sad really.  I guess it's back to my lightsabre until GW2, The Secret World, Tera or Planetside 2 comes along. 

You must be trolling right? Seems like you haven't even really tried the game, if you don't even know how to enter your ship's bridge and walk around your own dammed ship!  lol.

• Rusty715Rusty715 Member Posts: 482

Originally posted by JeroKane

First impressions:

You must be trolling right? Seems like you haven't even really tried the game, if you don't even know how to enter your ship's bridge and walk around your own dammed ship!  lol.

I dont know if he is trolling or what he is doing but I actually found myself in a Q saturday evening, granted it was a short Q but it was happening, so there are players and I see people whenever I play. Space combat is something that I had to learn to like but find I enjoy it quite a bit. Funny how many complaints games  are getting about not having VO after the release of the latest WOW killer, hmm?

Really? This game sucks and Im not having fun? Im going to unsub right now. Thanks for the tip.

• MmorpgeriusMmorpgerius Member UncommonPosts: 56

Yes, I'm on level 7 now and it's still satisfactory. :)

Edit: Sorry, misread the topic title...

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,897

Nothing about this game is appealling to me.  I quit after only about 5 hours of play.  I wasn't planning to quit, I just haven't been motivated to return.  I found animations, ground combat and space combat all to be lacking in any sense of fun.  I was hoping this game would be fun to level in but alas it really is a horrible MMO.

The fact that I played Forsaken World and Runes of Magic a fair bit longer than STO says a lot.  Especially considering I like the ST IP.

• C_CarmichaelC_Carmichael Member UncommonPosts: 21

First impressions:

1. I agree, the tutorial is quite lackluster, even after the "polish" that was applied during the F2P transition. It was even worse back at launch. In alot of respects, it is the perfect summation of all that is wrong with the game. They used the ultimate enemy (The Borg) in the tutorial, relegating them to "weak" status. Additionally, they pulled the JJ Abrams move of taking a noob and putting them in charge of a spaceship. And in terms of "polish" it's idiotic that half the turbolifts in the tutorial are the new version, that open up like they should, and the other half are the old style "glowing wall" that is nothing more than a picture with a transition button. Just like the rest of the game.

2. I agree AND disagree with this. I'm not a fan of the ground combat in STO, as I don't feel that it's true to the IP, and it certainly has some clunkiness to it. However, it is much better than it was at launch, although that isn't really saying much.

3. I agree. After playing SWTOR, it's hard to go back to a game that doesn't have the nice cutscene interaction and voice acting. It's even worse when you do get a "voiced" cutscene in STO (like in the latest FE) but when your character "speaks" there is no voice, while the rest of the cutscene IS voiced. Incredibly immersion breaking, and it just reeks of poor quality.

4. This has been an issue with the game since Day 1. Way way way too many walls. You can't fly in space without walls. You can't walk around an interior without "walls" between decks. But I will say, there aren't nearly as many walls in STO, as there are in SWTOR.

5. This was one of my major complaints when I beta tested STO. I pushed long and hard for a more complex system, but Cryptic simply didn't want to invest the time and resources to make it so. Therefore, we now have a game that could be played by a chimpanzee. Literally. Space combat is the same, as you can fire all phasers with the Space Bar, and toggle your torpedoes to the 1 and 2 key. Whalah, a 3 button game. Not very complex, and certainly not very satisfying to play.

6. Agreed. Bridge Commander is a perfect example of space combat in the Star Trek universe. STO doesn't even compare. It's ridiculously easy, and it's not even a true 3D space combat environment. Case in point, you can't fly straight up. Additionally, you don't have a true representation of shields, as the dorsal and ventral axis aren't factored. It's a 2D sailing ship type combat, within a 3D style medium.

7. I don't have much in the way of complaints about the graphics. Sure, it's not the ultra-realistic type that Age of Conan uses, but that's alright in my opinion. Games don't need to have "real world" graphics in order to be aesthetically pleasing. Overall, I think the art in STO is pretty good.

8. You can walk about your ship. Though, there isn't much point (no functionality on the interiors) and if you do, you'll likely be very disappointed. The interiors are horribly scaled (land of the giants) and overall, don't have a high quality about them.

9. Not really sure what to say on this one. I see tons of people around in ships, as well as on Spacedock and Memory Alpha. Of course, I also try hard to ignore them, because of the cacaphony of virtual clown costumes that people use as their "uniform." Not very Starfleet, not very canon, and incredibly immersion breaking.

10. This is incredibly annoying, and I agree with you 100%. Lately, the servers have been crashing every 3-4 days, resulting in a 1-4 hour downtime with each crash. They know what the problem is, but can't find where the problem exists in the coding, and therefore, can't seem to fix it.

11. Here's 2 Advil. If the headache persists, call the Doc in the morning. ;)