Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General 'STO is disatisfactory' thread.

wyodragonwyodragon Member Posts: 3

[Mod Edit]: Due to an influx of threads that are disatisfied with STO, I consolidated a General thread for users to list their complaints. Keep in mind, trolling and flaming will not be tolerated, so please stay on topic and refrain from personal attacks.

I leveled my starfleet officer in 1 week misson would complete if you warped in and someone else was doing the mission at that time all you had to do was sitt and wait for the complete message and you got the creadit here is a list of cons

CONS ABOUT STAR TREK ONLINE

1. crafting is lame and only federation can craft klingon can not

2. klingon got the shaft so bad they could not customize the ships until last major update but the still messed that up with on 2 diffrent changes when federation has 3 diffrent changes and half of the new changes ot the same as the frist changes just they change a little bit of the looks to the bridges that or totally useless

3. exploration and diplomacy not even in the game they dont even have our real solor system in the game just earth and the moon that is all

4. For get about flying Vulcans, trill, betazed, frengi, Bajoran, Nuasicians, gorn,  AcamarianAndorian, Benzite, Betazoid, Bolian, Borg, and Hunter you can forget about flying thier ships you can not fly them at all your stuck with earth ships only

5. They even could not get the tribble right cuase you can have them as a klingon and in all the shows klingon thought of them as mortal enimies and sent special agents to exterminate all tribbles  , Worf reveals that the tribbles were hunted down and exterminated by the Klingon Empire; specially trained warriors were sent to kill every tribble in existence, and an armada of Klingon vessels obliterated the tribble's home world. Klingons are unique among Star Trek's races in their extreme hatred of the creatures as "an ecological menace". The feeling was apparently mutual, because tribbles emitted a loud shrieking noise instead of their normal soothing purr in the presence of Klingons

6. You can not even fly your ship while sitting in your captians chair can not explore your own ship in detail, you have no engine room, no medical center, no mess hual, and no storage or shuttle bays

7. As chacters in the game you got Tatical, Engineer, and Science officers you have no medical they mixed that with science officer

8. Uniforms or lame only have federation uniforms and klingons uniforms you dont have vulcan uniforms or any other race uniforms in game

9. When did you ever in the movies or tv series see a 100 ship on 100 ship not very often i can only count 5 times all there pve events or 1 ship you against 10 enimies ships and in some areas they put them so close togeather you get attacked by the whole group at once

10. you can have a guild of unlimited numbers but only can have 5 players doing any raid at anytime and if the members dont come online for a while or quit you have to drop the mission so you can form a new group to complete it

11. the biggest joke is when they said it was a war against klingons and federation and this took place after the last movie but was the movie not about spock, romulans and the destruction of romulas were was the war with klingons ever in the movie Star Trek (Paramount Pictures, 2009) is the eleventh feature film based on the popular science fiction television series, Star Trek: The Original Series. The film explores the backstories of James T. Kirk and Spock, before they unite aboard the USS Enterprise to combat Nero, a Romulan from the future who threatens the United Federation of Planets.

12. the biggest scam cryptic studios or running is you got to pay us cash for new ships design federation only ships no extra klingon ships, extra chacter slots, new bridge designs, playable chacters such as federation klingon, pakleds, frengi, tellerite, retrain your chacter, thease or not free you have to buy cryptic points to buy them here is a link for proof of this scam http://www.startrekonline.com/store

13. false statements cryptic makes about the game they made

Establish contact with new races, discover resources and uncover mysteries that will influence Star Trek's future. Set in 2409, Star Trek Online exists in a timeframe beyond even the latest movies, so everything you experience will be brand new, but still based on all the fiction you love. 

Using Cryptic’s Total Customization technology, every ship you command can be customized by you, from its color to its construction.

Your ship will retain a Star Trek "feel," but it will also represent your style. What’s more, anyone can create their own species in Star Trek Online, meaning you can tell your own story about how you came to be in the galaxy. Leave your mark on the Star Trek universe!

Total Customization technology is a joke it is so limited on what you can do and paint schemes that it is not worth the trouble

Star Trek Online is developed by Cryptic Studios, creators of the massively successful City of Heroes and City of Villains. It’s built on the Cryptic Engine, a core technology that means our designers can focus less on a game’s nuts and bolts and more on creating a game that captures Star Trek’s essence, guaranteeing that both longtime fans of Star Trek and people new to the universe will feel at home.

false statement city of heros and city of villians was made by NC SOFT cryptic had little to do with the game as far as building it or designing it if they did why would they bring out a game to try to match it called champions online??

Comments

• Die_ScreamDie_Scream Member Posts: 1,785

What can I say? You're right.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

They really gave tribbles to Klingons for some reason?

I don't even like Star Trek, and I know what that's about.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

Originally posted by GTwander

They really gave tribbles to Klingons for some reason?

I don't even like Star Trek, and I know what that's about.

Well, this is the group of "Star Trek fans" who made Klinks drop banana splits as loot.image

• HagonbokHagonbok Member Posts: 365

Originally posted by wyodragon

false statement city of heros and city of villians was made by NC SOFT cryptic had little to do with the game as far as building it or designing it if they did why would they bring out a game to try to match it called champions online??

While I agree with most of what you say, I must correct you on this point. Cryptic did make both City of Heroes and City of VillainsNC Soft was the publisher, and then bought Cryptic out in 2007.

Calling the games "massively successful" is pretty funny though.

• raistalin69raistalin69 Member Posts: 575

yet another person who "just doesn't get it"

/sigh

IF THE ONLY DEFENCE FOR CRITICISM OF A GAME IS CALLING SOMEONE A TROLL OR HATER, THAT SAYS A LOT ABOUT THE QUALITY OF THE GAME

• DoomsDay01DoomsDay01 Member UncommonPosts: 783

Originally posted by Hagonbok

While I agree with most of what you say, I must correct you on this point. Cryptic did make both City of Heroes and City of VillainsNC Soft was the publisher, and then bought Cryptic out in 2007.

Yep, NCSOFT was the publisher. Cryptic is the one who created them. Oh and the way your statement reads, ncsoft did not buy out cryptic, they bought the game. it just kinda looks like it is saying they bought cryptic themselves.

I also would say it was massively successful. There are still a lot of people playing that game. Compared to almost any other mmo out there except wow, it would be considered massively successful.

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

Well, he's partially right as the vast majority of CoH/CoV devs stayed with the game when it was bought by NCSoft and now run as Paragon Studios. So it would be correct to say that Paragon Studios created City of Heroes, but less correct to say Cryptic did.

City of Heroes was massively successful back in the day (it launched something like a year before WoW) and it's still moderately successful to this day.

CONS ABOUT STAR TREK ONLINE

1. crafting is lame and only federation can craft klingon can not

Wont argue this. But I hate crafting in general so it dont bother me in the least

2. klingon got the shaft so bad they could not customize the ships until last major update but the still messed that up with on 2 diffrent changes when federation has 3 diffrent changes and half of the new changes ot the same as the frist changes just they change a little bit of the looks to the bridges that or totally useless

Wont argue that either. I dont play klingon, never wanted to,so again, dont bother me none. However, I recognize there are a lot of people out there that do want to play them. more choices is always good.

3. exploration and diplomacy not even in the game they dont even have our real solor system in the game just earth and the moon that is all

Yes they are in and no they are not. There are exploration and a few diplomacy missions but they aren't what most peoples definition of exploring and diplomacy is.

4. For get about flying Vulcans, trill, betazed, frengi, Bajoran, Nuasicians, gorn,  AcamarianAndorian, Benzite, Betazoid, Bolian, Borg, and Hunter you can forget about flying thier ships you can not fly them at all your stuck with earth ships only

Yep it would be nice to have more ship options. However, the game is set as you playing a federation officer aboard a starfleet ship. So not totally unexpected.

5. They even could not get the tribble right cuase you can have them as a klingon and in all the shows klingon thought of them as mortal enimies and sent special agents to exterminate all tribbles  , Worf reveals that the tribbles were hunted down and exterminated by the Klingon Empire; specially trained warriors were sent to kill every tribble in existence, and an armada of Klingon vessels obliterated the tribble's home world. Klingons are unique among Star Trek's races in their extreme hatred of the creatures as "an ecological menace". The feeling was apparently mutual, because tribbles emitted a loud shrieking noise instead of their normal soothing purr in the presence of Klingons

I believe this was a compromise. Klingons already got a big shaft to start with, it would just be another thing that federation got and they didnt. They should have made the targ like the tribbles. it wouldn't surprise me if they did change that down the road.

6. You can not even fly your ship while sitting in your captians chair can not explore your own ship in detail, you have no engine room, no medical center, no mess hual, and no storage or shuttle bays

yep and this was known by all, before the game released. I do think we will see these things but not anytime in the short term.

7. As chacters in the game you got Tatical, Engineer, and Science officers you have no medical they mixed that with science officer

Dont really have a problem with this.

8. Uniforms or lame only have federation uniforms and klingons uniforms you dont have vulcan uniforms or any other race uniforms in game

You are a federation officer and as such, are required to wear federation uniforms. Dont have a problem with this either, but more options is always nice!

9. When did you ever in the movies or tv series see a 100 ship on 100 ship not very often i can only count 5 times all there pve events or 1 ship you against 10 enimies ships and in some areas they put them so close togeather you get attacked by the whole group at once

The only place this happens in is inside a deep space encounter which isn't really meant to be solo'd in. But agree that some placements of the ships when you warp in, are right on top of you.

10. you can have a guild of unlimited numbers but only can have 5 players doing any raid at anytime and if the members dont come online for a while or quit you have to drop the mission so you can form a new group to complete it

Dont really have an issue with this but I know there are a lot of raiding guilds out there in the mmo universe.

11. the biggest joke is when they said it was a war against klingons and federation and this took place after the last movie but was the movie not about spock, romulans and the destruction of romulas were was the war with klingons ever in the movie Star Trek (Paramount Pictures, 2009) is the eleventh feature film based on the popular science fiction television series, Star Trek: The Original Series. The film explores the backstories of James T. Kirk and Spock, before they unite aboard the USS Enterprise to combat Nero, a Romulan from the future who threatens the United Federation of Planets.

It doesnt state that the movie has anything to do with the game. The entire war is based on cryptics back story, not paramount. They make references to the movie in the game but only about the start of the movie where romulas was destroyed. That is where the similarities end. The rest of the movie was in the past in an alternate time line for goodness sakes.

12. the biggest scam cryptic studios or running is you got to pay us cash for new ships design federation only ships no extra klingon ships, extra chacter slots, new bridge designs, playable chacters such as federation klingon, pakleds, frengi, tellerite, retrain your chacter, thease or not free you have to buy cryptic points to buy them here is a link for proof of this scam http://www.startrekonline.com/store

Some people don't mind the c-store and others dont like it. its not like you ever actually have to use it.

13. false statements cryptic makes about the game they made

Establish contact with new races, discover resources and uncover mysteries that will influence Star Trek's future. Set in 2409, Star Trek Online exists in a timeframe beyond even the latest movies, so everything you experience will be brand new, but still based on all the fiction you love. 

This is a fairly accurate statement. Everything you experience is brand new the first time you play it. And there are many things in the story line that comes right out of the tv shows.

Using Cryptic’s Total Customization technology, every ship you command can be customized by you, from its color to its construction.

Your ship will retain a Star Trek "feel," but it will also represent your style. What’s more, anyone can create their own species in Star Trek Online, meaning you can tell your own story about how you came to be in the galaxy. Leave your mark on the Star Trek universe!

Total Customization technology is a joke it is so limited on what you can do and paint schemes that it is not worth the trouble

Ship customization I would agree with you. It is really to limited for me but I think they did that to keep the class's looks similar enough that you could recognize what kind of ship it is in pvp.

Star Trek Online is developed by Cryptic Studios, creators of the massively successful City of Heroes and City of Villains. It’s built on the Cryptic Engine, a core technology that means our designers can focus less on a game’s nuts and bolts and more on creating a game that captures Star Trek’s essence, guaranteeing that both longtime fans of Star Trek and people new to the universe will feel at home.

I answered this in my other thread, you are wrong.

Originally posted by DoomsDay01

Yep, NCSOFT was the publisher. Cryptic is the one who created them. Oh and the way your statement reads, ncsoft did not buy out cryptic, they bought the game. it just kinda looks like it is saying they bought cryptic themselves.

I also would say it was massively successful. There are still a lot of people playing that game. Compared to almost any other mmo out there except wow, it would be considered massively successful.

The highest peak it hit was in 2004 just after it released at just over 150K subscribers, and then nose dived until CoV came out. Then another short spike and steady decline. It's NA/EU competition were pretty much all doing much higher numbers at the time, and most of those were games released long before it. i.e. UO, EQ, DAoC, FFXI, and SWG (even after the CU then NGE). Even Second Life, which was released just a few months after, peaked at double the highest it ever did. Sorry, there's never been anything massive about the CoX games.

The highest peak it hit was in 2004 just after it released at just over 150K subscribers, and then nose dived until CoV came out. Then another short spike and steady decline. It's NA/EU competition were pretty much all doing much higher numbers at the time, and most of those were games released long before it. i.e. UO, EQ, DAoC, FFXI, and SWG (even after the CU then NGE). Even Second Life, which was released just a few months after, peaked at double the highest it ever did. Sorry, there's never been anything massive about the CoX games.

Links please. show me where your getting subscriber information from. And what competition did they have? They were the only super hero MMO out there. I have to say that I played it for a few years and did not see a huge decline of people during that time. at least on my server and it was never considered anything higher than a medium server at the time.

Now, let me ask you this, just how many subscribers must one have to be considered massively successful? 150 thousand people sounds pretty massive to me.

Games like EQ or FFXI had massive numbers (around 550k and 650 respectively), especially considering when they were released (1999 and 2002 respectively). Moderate successes would be games like DAoC (around 250 to 300k), and SWG (around 250 to 300K as well, although it should have been a massive success given it's initial box sales, but most left before subbing for the game).

Don't get me wrong. I liked City of. for a bit until the repetitiveness of it got to me. It sure was never a massive success though.

• DinendaeDinendae Member Posts: 1,264

Don't get me wrong. I liked City of. for a bit until the repetitiveness of it got to me. It sure was never a massive success though.

Like a lot of thier claims, it lies in how one perceives it. For example, Cryptic stated they would consider 100,000 or so subscribers for STO as a success. Since they stated they needed 50,000 or so subscribers to do well, they could claim 100,000 as a massive success. Your average MMO player wouldn't, but then again they don't need to spin things to make a game look like it's doing better than it is.

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

• ShastraShastra Member Posts: 1,061

Isn't this the same guy who said feds can cloak ships in STO and that half of the missions (which is atleast 50% or more) are not working..all right!!

• saxifrsaxifr Member UncommonPosts: 381

Originally posted by Shastra

Isn't this the same guy who said feds can cloak ships in STO and that half of the missions (which is atleast 50% or more) are not working..all right!!

When you consider that the game is the same four or five missions over...and over...and over...

:)_:):)

RELAX!@!! BREATHE!!!

Originally posted by saxifr

When you consider that the game is the same four or five missions over...and over...and over...

Thats not the point. Point is spreading wrong and false information. Saying that 'mission is repetitive' is not same as 'half of them are broken/not working'. Hate on game all you want but atleast do it on basis of facts. However, i am still waiting for OP to tell me what fed ships he was cloaking.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,372

Yes, but when the two organizations split, a certain portion of the talent stayed with NCSoft. 

Looks like it was the good portion judging from how STO and CO turned out.

Though I actually blame the failure of both of these games due to a major management shift into delivering games in 2 years or less, just can't be done and still maintain quality.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Thats not the point. Point is spreading wrong and false information. Saying that 'mission is repetitive' is not same as 'half of them are broken/not working'. Hate on game all you want but atleast do it on basis of facts. However, i am still waiting for OP to tell me what fed ships he was cloaking.

i admit that i have not seen the post personally, but it has been reported that one of the devs posted that they are adding a cloak to the new referral program ship. in fact its had been denied by a forum moderater until there was a link posted to the dev's comments. so it may not be in game atm, but if you rip off (refer) 5 of your friends, you can have a cloaking fed ship.

IF THE ONLY DEFENCE FOR CRITICISM OF A GAME IS CALLING SOMEONE A TROLL OR HATER, THAT SAYS A LOT ABOUT THE QUALITY OF THE GAME

Originally posted by raistalin69

i admit that i have not seen the post personally, but it has been reported that one of the devs posted that they are adding a cloak to the new referral program ship. in fact its had been denied by a forum moderater until there was a link posted to the dev's comments. so it may not be in game atm, but if you rip off (refer) 5 of your friends, you can have a cloaking fed ship.

Thats not what OP said. Accoring to him feds are cloaking ships just like klingons in the game. So please excuse me if i do not take his bull shit seriously. Another perfect example of trying to spread wrong information just out of spite. Zero credibility and what is even more sad is the follow up comments. It is as if people just follow each others thoughts instead of playing the actual game.

Thats not what OP said. Accoring to him feds are cloaking ships just like klingons in the game. So please excuse me if i do not take his bull shit seriously. Another perfect example of trying to spread wrong information just out of spite. Zero credibility and what is even more sad is the follow up comments. It is as if people just follow each others thoughts instead of playing the actual game.

no thats not what the op said, but there are going to be cloaking fed ships according to a sto dev. as to playing the game, dont think they are many people left doing that (very common complaint on the sto forums) and even far less people here playing. for some strange reason i personally dont feel obligated to pay 15$ a month to continue to be 100% sure sto is a lousy game. in fact all i have to do is log into the official sto forums and that opinion of the game is comfirmed by the people posting there about the same issues that existed in the game from day 1.

i must admit though, i love how your trying to derail the fact that the guy has a dozen valid points why sto is a lousy game by pointing out he made one statement that is untrue. dont stop there, please go thru all 12 points and let us know how there all lies.

oh wait, those 12 points are true arent they?

Warning DO NOT waste your time or money on this game(true). It is very boring and very poorly done(true). You can not explore planets and meet diffrent cultures(true, you pretty much shoot every other race you come across), You can not explore earth and planets in the sol system(true), Very lame pvp (true)the worse I have ever seen in my 15 years of playing mmos. I am a trekie and this is a insult to the star trek name. The klingon side got the shaft from cryptic you can only do pvp and explore missions(true when game launched, and content that has been added for kdf is considered to be sub-standard by most people now) only and half of the mission dont even work(very true for the klingons, which is what poster is talking about). The ships or even worse they or not even close to having all the ships(true) and federation members run around with cloaking armour(untrue, afaik) and klingon weapons(true, i used them on my toon). The game is just totaly done wrong they should have hired bioware to do the game  cryptic is a poor company that make star wars galaxies a much better and well done game

man your right, he said one thing that wasnt right out of 10. obviously he "just doesn't get it"

why dont u report him and have him banned for it?

I can replace your true with my false and it will all end up to matter of opinion. Where as Klingon side half of the mission not working its again a very untrue statement. Klingon hardly has any PVE content but since i have a klingon alt whatever PVE /PVP content i did worked fine. (unless you tell me what content is not working on Klingon side instead of making blanket statement).

But keep on defending the OP doesn't matter if half of his points are just matter of taste/opinion (not facts) and the rest is just a lie. Yeah sorry to say but you really don't get it.

I can replace your true with my false and it will all end up to matter of opinion. Where as Klingon side half of the mission not working its again a very untrue statement. Klingon hardly has any PVE content but since i have a klingon alt whatever PVE /PVP content i did worked fine. (unless you tell me what content is not working on Klingon side instead of making blanket statement).

But keep on defending the OP doesn't matter if half of his points are just matter of taste/opinion (not facts) and the rest is just a lie. Yeah sorry to say but you really don't get it.

oh isee, the op wasn't lieing after all? there all just matters of opinion now.....ok. and actually when i played, the klingon pve was bugged, and was constantly reported on the official sto forums. thats not to say that some or all of that hasnt been fixed.

of course, since were talking about opinions now, considering the kdf has less then half the pve missions it should have had at launch in order to be put into the game, then half of them just dont exist (bugged/dont exist... whatever)

Zero credibility and what is even more sad is the follow up comments. It is as if people just follow each others thoughts instead of playing the actual game.

actually, so he got one thing wrong, hes saying what most people are saying. does that mean that none of us who have played the game have any credibility?

STO is disatisfactory.image

oh isee, the op wasn't lieing after all? there all just matters of opinion now.....ok. and actually when i played, the klingon pve was bugged, and was constantly reported on the official sto forums. thats not to say that some or all of that hasnt been fixed.

of course, since were talking about opinions now, considering the kdf has less then half the pve missions it should have had at launch in order to be put into the game, then half of them just dont exist (bugged/dont exist... whatever)

Zero credibility and what is even more sad is the follow up comments. It is as if people just follow each others thoughts instead of playing the actual game.

actually, so he got one thing wrong, hes saying what most people are saying. does that mean that none of us who have played the game have any credibility?

How can i argue with someone who can not even read properly? i guess i will stop feeding you now.

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

How can i argue with someone who can not even read properly? i guess i will stop feeding you now.

Classic respons when people are out of defence ammo.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.