Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ryzom now Open Source!

MaDSaMMaDSaM Member Posts: 627

http://dev.ryzom.com/news/13

Well, we´ll see what it will do.

CU

SaM

Ryzom, we dare to be different.
Do you dare to adapt?

Comments

• vqlyvqly Member UncommonPosts: 296

This is actually really good news for the game and probably one of the best thing that can happen to it. A whole lot of people should be really excited about this actually, especially the loyal fans. It's not going to be instantaneous, but over time the game will start reaping the benefits from it... that's my prediction at any rate. Once the open source community embraces it and start building their own world, Ryzom the game itself will benefit.

I have went through the tutorial and guides to get both the client code and the server code checked out via Mercurial, got them both compiled fairly successfully on a Windows XP machine, and was able to tweak the client to connect to an open shard server they have set up for testing purpose. All this I did over one weekend, so it's fairly straight forward. The community at dev.ryzom.com is also slowly growing, and hopefully more howtos and wikis will pop up over time.

I am actually at the point now where I can fire up the client and step through the code to see how various things work, by setting break points and using the debugger, a very important first step to learning any new system :D

• madeuxmadeux Member Posts: 1,786

Holy shit!  Seriously, I dont know how many of you realize just what an amazing thing this is... Remember what the mod community did for Quake?  I've said many times that this is exactly the thing that the MMO industry needs in order to foster true innovation... wow... seriously...

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

So far it looks like they are working on a linux client for a few months, I've yet to see something cool coming from it.