Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Having fun with free content... after 20 will it suck?

2»

Comments

• bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679

Originally posted by ConjureOne

I actually thought of AoC as of a more GvG game, where guilds bash it out when conquering cities. But people keep on and on about raids, tiers and sh1t like that, is this game just another WoW-copy? I'm playing the free content atm, so far its fun, but if its gonna lead me to grinding dungeons 24/7 @ endgame then no thx, i'd rather go play wow....

There are city sieges and open world border kingdom PvP objectives, though most of the game's population plays on PvE servers, which, unsurprisingly are populated on the whole by PvE players.

So there is PvP, on all the servers, just it isn't very common on the PvE servers. And as much as the launch hype might've suggested, it isn't really a PvP focused game, 90% of the post launch dev time has been on PvE, including the new expansion.

• ConjureOneConjureOne Member UncommonPosts: 233

I dont get it, in 2008 my card was mid-high-ranged, this game should run on max with just 1 of these babies, but with 2 it should fly no matter how much VRAM it takes or doesnt take xD

• ConjureOneConjureOne Member UncommonPosts: 233

Originally posted by bobfish

I actually thought of AoC as of a more GvG game, where guilds bash it out when conquering cities. But people keep on and on about raids, tiers and sh1t like that, is this game just another WoW-copy? I'm playing the free content atm, so far its fun, but if its gonna lead me to grinding dungeons 24/7 @ endgame then no thx, i'd rather go play wow....

There are city sieges and open world border kingdom PvP objectives, though most of the game's population plays on PvE servers, which, unsurprisingly are populated on the whole by PvE players.

So there is PvP, on all the servers, just it isn't very common on the PvE servers. And as much as the launch hype might've suggested, it isn't really a PvP focused game, 90% of the post launch dev time has been on PvE, including the new expansion.

I'm playing on Fury atm, are you suggesting to switch to another PvE server to have someone to play with? All of the servers displayed "MEDIUM population".

Also I didnt find any description what is a "General" server, none was given by the game, so I chose the "PvP" server...

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

While I like the starter island, I more prefer the open zones. I tend to skip the dungeons unless a guildy is wanting to run one. I like forming PUGs and do that every time I play. Mainly to me an issue of realism, pet issue is having to watch someone else kill the same boss.

Originally posted by Aguitha
    I stopped playing last year my bear shaman was 37 i think and i had done all the quests in the appropriate zones, i had no where to go, everything else was 40+, i dunno if they changed the pace at which you level up doing quests but personally i found out that at 37 only thing left to do was grind to 40.

I had the same experience at launch. I know they added zones, but I think it was also a matter of me not exploring enough at first. I say this as I found guides for missions or loot that were years old, before content was added, but that I don’t remember from launch. In a nutshell, there are lots of missions outside of towns, some of them lead to long important story lines even.

Originally posted by Shastra
    No you won't stuck infact leveling is too fast. You won't feel ever that you are grinding to next level. Its a smooth ride and flow of missions/story is continuous.

Yep. A good tip is to check your world map and look a zone levels. You wont be able to do all the missions before they get grayed out.

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

• bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679

Fury is fine, it is the most populated PvP server and you will definitely find plenty of PvP there.

• VultureSkullVultureSkull Member UncommonPosts: 1,774

Originally posted by bobfish

I'm playing on Fury atm, are you suggesting to switch to another PvE server to have someone to play with? All of the servers displayed "MEDIUM population".

Also I didnt find any description what is a "General" server, none was given by the game, so I chose the "PvP" server...

I don't know what the pop is like on the FUry server, although i am sure it pretty decent.

I play on the Crom server which is pve and has a good pop across all levels, which means no open world pvp. Which on a PvP server can be quite brutal, as there are no factions or sides(like in wow you have Horde and alliance). So there any one can bash anyone else. I found this restrictive when questing (due to ganking) and as such moved all my chars to a PvE server(where i can take part in mini games, seiges and the Border lands for PvP if i want to).

If you like open world PvP then stay on Fury otherwise i would suggest rolling on Crom.

• VultureSkullVultureSkull Member UncommonPosts: 1,774

I dont get it, in 2008 my card was mid-high-ranged, this game should run on max with just 1 of these babies, but with 2 it should fly no matter how much VRAM it takes or doesnt take xD

I had a similar card, just one, not SLI mode. And it was borderline, I then got a new card GTX280 i think and have not looked back.  

Even though you have two it seems only one is recongnised and hence the inability for you to run the game at full effect without slow down. I suggest that you play around with the graphics until you get something that looks nice and runs ok. Bear in mind that you will have to compromise, which I know will be annoying given your two cards but there is no way out i am afraid.

• DosskaDosska Member Posts: 53

Originally posted by stckmojo

For me, the 1-80 was very enjoyable in Aoc... There is a rich storyline, wonderful scenery and the combat system keeps you busy and forget about grinding if you have to.   

The problem though is after 80 AoC turns into the A-typical grindfest for pvp levels, gear, more gear and buff whoring.  When they strayed from the original "gear means nothing" formula, it really made the game feel cheap and like all the other second rate mmo's out there.

If you are dead set on playing, pick up a key and gamecard online or on ebay. You can get a working aoc key for like 2 bucks now and a 2 month time card for 14... That is a good investment for two months of entertainment, but don't plan on having fun unless you raid your pants off or join a zerg guild at

I'm on the trial too was thinking of subscribing but this has me seriously reconsidering. I was looking for a game without the endless gear treadmill that wow has. I thought this might be it but apparently it isn't.

• greymanngreymann Member Posts: 757

Hmm didn't see a choice for fury when choosing servers.  Just 5 or so in my list. 

Yeah graphics is one of the last things I'd complain about with this game.  I have 3 year old rig that was top of the line and I'm maxed out in dx9.  Looks great and runs smooth so far.  I did do a lot of tweaking at first, including more contrast and darkening to help the color out.  I think maybe they could add some fog and environmental effects, especially at distances. 

One thing I really like that helps exploration is the realistic landscape.  Supposedly good-graphics games like Aion really screw up here.  No point high graphics if the grounds / trees / etc don't have realistic and interesting features.  Art, including anatomy is convincing enough for immersion factor.

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

Fury is an EU server.

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

• AercusAercus Member UncommonPosts: 775

In 2008 the 8800 was considered fairly mid-range, the 9xxx series were the serious stuff. With the 8800 you can run the game at medium-low settings in dx9, you can get some serious fps issues in dense areas if you try to push it much beyong that. In an SLI setup you can probably go up to medium, and even possibly max a few sliders. Particles really kills fps, so turn them on youself only. I barely get decent fps in a mage heavy raid if I turn them on all, and that's on a 295.

One major problem many face, and was one of the major issues at launch, is that they are still running 32 bit systems. It's limited to about 3.5 gigs, which gets eaten up very fast if you have a heavy antivir, a bunch of background processes, and keep 5-8 browser windows open. The game will certainly be sluggish if you have a setup such as that, and there's nothing to be done with from Funcoms side. After 64 bit OS and 4 gigs of RAM has become more the norm, less people are facing technical issues, which is telling where many of them stemmed from.

That said, there are a million different possible setups out there, and its nigh near impossible to program for all of them.

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,880

Originally posted by greymann

I tried the beta a long time ago and didn't play more than 2 hours being dissapointed after reading years of hype.  I didn't feel that they realy captured conan's world and had issues with several things including the bugs.  I'm having fun since Monday in Tortage playing several hours a day.  I find the char dev, story and combat combines into something addictive for a change and being a graphics whore... 

Now I'm being told that the free content, obviously intended to sell the game, is fun but that it gets repetetive and boring after level 20.  Just seems to me with this much depth and detail in char dev along with new places to discover and the destiny quest it would be worth moving on unless the ball is seriously dropped somewhere.  Obviously I haven't tried pvp so maybe if that turned me off I could see what ppl are saying since that's the main point of the game.  Thoughts by veteran players?  At what level do most people quit I wonder.

If nothing else I can hand it to funcom for giving away this much content.  If I'm not slobbering for more after doing all the tortage stuff I guess it solves the problem.

The game world really opens up after tortage. The voice overs for quests are only for destiny quests after you leave the island. The interactions with the NPCs is still the same . The story also spreads and branches off depending on where you decide to quest.