Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poll: how many SWG vets are moving to Old Republic?

13»

Comments

• TheShimmersTheShimmers Member Posts: 76

I will very much be going right into The Old Republic at 12:01 Launch Day. SWG got me into MMOs cause I love the Star Wars IP. Everything about the Star Wars world I think is awesome. And while I do miss my sandboxy Star Wars game, going to an actual (hopefully) polished online Star Wars world is going to be great!

• sectonsecton Member Posts: 80

I am going to give it a whirl. I have changed my expectations of MMORPG's a great deal since I got over $OE's failure. I am not even going to SWTOR because of my love for a SW IP either.

My reasona are compiled with me being a general SW fan, plus the fact that bioware has never made a game I didn't like. I am hoping for an amazing story driven online game. Any similarities to a MMORPG is just an after thought for me.

mmm pizza

Originally posted by SWGmodAlpha

Originally posted by smitty0356

Originally posted by Murashu

I'm not making that decision until I've played the trial. So far TOR doesn't look like anything that would interest me for more than a month or two.

I was thinking the EXACT same thing!  The interviews promise content, but I haven't seen it actually displayed yet.

QFE

Nothing buy eye candy and typical corporate BS, promising the world.

I don't beleive, regardless of the money they claim they are spending, that a theme park MMO will ever be able to meet the expectations of sand box veterans. 

Too linear and too shallow.  STO anyone?

They don't even want to meet the expectations of sand box veterns. It is impossible to even consider playing SWTOR under the same expectations of a SWG type game. They know this, and you know what, they don't care. I don't understand why this is seen as a bad thing. I'm a  'SWG Vet, publish 4 jedi unlock', and I and many other vets have been saying this will be NOTHING like SWG since the first bit of information was released!

I have not changed my standards in MMORPG's at all. If I want to play a sandbox, it must be amazing like SWG, yet I am going to play SWTOR and enjoy it, because I am not playing it in refence to my sandbox standards, I am playing it with my standards of Bioware's reputation in amazing story driven games.

Don't change you 'standards', never change those. If anybody who is still a butthurt veteren wants any chance at enjoying this, they have to change their 'expectations', because you should never have the expectation of a sandbox to begin with.

Apples and oranges, you have have different and unrelated standards of 'quality' in both, but you must change what you 'expect' the taste to be.

mmm pizza

• AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812

Well all the money and backing that has been pumped into making this title means it has to be a success or it will make a major dent o BW rep. However I am like many other people I fear for this game as it will be another themepark MMO fluff and lack freedom of many older MMOs. It will be designed to meet most players needs, what does that mean, well ask Wowet fans they wont be happy with any down time and will demand more toys than Santa will be handing out this week for sure.

Sadly no matter what anyone says or wants we will not see an improvment on the early SWG ever for many reasons, the main one being that developers have lost their instincts and due to massive investment from outside and as long as they have to use names which have clout like Lucas there will be no or little freedom.

Also any game which does invest large amounts of money will demand results thanks to the success of Wow as this brought the masses to MMOs whether we like it or not that has a major influence on the way games will be made and designed in the future. You only need to look at games which are about to come out in the coming year to see the influence games like EQI Wow and others have had and lets be honest here there is not a lot which has not been done by previous games, so the chance of these new games breaking new ground become slimmer as each new title goes live.

Now back on topic will I be playing TOR, difficult to decide at this stage as I have only seen and heard stuff from other beta players and you have to take that with a pinch of salt for obvious reasons.I have beta tested many games just to help the developers, but I have to admit I have put my name in the middle for this just so I too can have a butchers at it before I make any decissions at all. If I do not get the chance to see beta then I may have to wait a few months to see the feed-back, I do however have a few friends who will be playing it as they are looking for a new home, so I will at very least get to see what it is like.

Will I pre-order......No way!!

Just my 2 bobs worth.

Asbo

Originally posted by NightBandit

Well all the money and backing that has been pumped into making this title means it has to be a success or it will make a major dent o BW rep. However I am like many other people I fear for this game as it will be another themepark MMO fluff and lack freedom of many older MMOs. It will be designed to meet most players needs, what does that mean, well ask Wowet fans they wont be happy with any down time and will demand more toys than Santa will be handing out this week for sure.

Sadly no matter what anyone says or wants we will not see an improvment on the early SWG ever for many reasons, the main one being that developers have lost their instincts and due to massive investment from outside and as long as they have to use names which have clout like Lucas there will be no or little freedom.

Just my 2 bobs worth.

Knowing bioware, who have an amazing rep with creating single player story titles, It could be risky, it could be safe. Not sure, but to even start something like this with this kind of backing, they had to have confidence in catering enough people to pull this through.

At the very least, if you like Bioware titles, $59 plus the first free month should be more than sufficiently worth the ammount of gameplay you will be getting. Consider that I payed $49 for both kotor 1 & 2 when they came out, $59 for mass effect, $59 for dragon age, $49 for jade empire, ect ect ect, list goes on.... Bioware is saying this will have more story driven content than every single game they have developed combined.

I am buying this on the near guarentee that the 'story' driven content ALONE will be more than well worth the initial investment. Anything 'MMORPG' related after that, is truly icing on the cake.

mmm pizza

• AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812

Originally posted by secton

Just my 2 bobs worth.

Knowing bioware, who have an amazing rep with creating single player story titles, It could be risky, it could be safe. Not sure, but to even start something like this with this kind of backing, they had to have confidence in catering enough people to pull this through.

At the very least, if you like Bioware titles, $59 plus the first free month should be more than sufficiently worth the ammount of gameplay you will be getting. Consider that I payed $49 for both kotor 1 & 2 when they came out, $59 for mass effect, $59 for dragon age, $49 for jade empire, ect ect ect, list goes on.... Bioware is saying this will have more story driven content than every single game they have developed combined.

I am buying this on the near guarentee that the 'story' driven content ALONE will be more than well worth the initial investment. Anything 'MMORPG' related after that, is truly icing on the cake.

Personally the price means nothing to me as when I commit to an MMO I normally play between 2 to 4 accounts depending on the UI and other factors, so cost does not come into it. I have played BW games before and they are far to linear and have to many restrictions. I don't call that fun at all.  Dragon Age as you pointed out above for example what a poor game, okay it's not an MMO but if that's what we have to look forward too then I will not be bothering at all.

This problem is caused by the Wow syndrome everything is far to easy.com imo and looking good and playing good are tow complete different things and only time will tell. But just because BW appear to make goodish games for the normal market does not mean they will be the dogs loose skin at MMOs and that is what it's all about.

I am not saying BW are a bad company, far from it but they have to prove they can do it, many have tired and failed.

Asbo

• MazinMazin Member Posts: 640

Moving would indicate that your still playing SWG.  There is probably only 3 or 4 posters here on mmorpg that classify in that category with BadgerSmacker being the ring leader.

In saying that I'm an SWG pre-nge vet and I'm looking forward to playing TOR.

• AntaranAntaran Member Posts: 579

I pre-ordered the SW:TOR while i was still playing SWG, the moment i heard BioWare mentioned as the developers that was me sold.

• thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Originally posted by Mazin

Moving would indicate that your still playing SWG.  There is probably only 3 or 4 posters here on mmorpg that classify in that category with BadgerSmacker being the ring leader.

In saying that I'm an SWG pre-nge vet and I'm looking forward to playing TOR.

Ha was about to post similar saved me the job cheers.

Havent ordered TOR yet waiting for a Steam option for it.