Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blurring the lines of "mmo"?

I enjoyed the homm series. Similarly, I enjoyed Masters of Magic, and today, having been an avid fan of the civ series, very much enjoy civ 4's mod Fall From Heaven 2 by Kael. Tbs games have been a favorite diversion of mine for 20 years, second only to mmo's in the past 12.

That said, aren't we (continuously anymore it seems) again blurring the lines defining a mmo? When I think of mmo I think of EQ, UO, AC, WoW, War, TR, CO, STO, etc. ad nauseum. It seems franchises are ready these days to label just about anything a "mmo" to break into the industry and have some license to advertise on a broader range of forums.

That's what it's all about; advertisement. Isn't it?

Am I missing something here? What makes this an mmo, and diablo 3 not an mmo? Persistant world? Maybe HoMMO (lol) is selling themselves short labeling their persistant world tbs game a "mmo" when it could be a catalyst for a whole new genre.

Why should I think of this game when I'm in the market for a new game like ToR or DCU?

Comments

• UnholyVashXUnholyVashX Member Posts: 49

While I hope the reason it's labeled as an MMO is because it truly will be one, I do agree with it being mostly advertising. It's almost impossible to sell any game that doesn't have a multiplayer aspect. although some games come along that are just that good that they don't need one (Bioshock or Oblivion are good examples), but for the most part its the mutiplayer that gives it the thrill (Halo CoD:MW2).

I hold out hope though. It looks good and that is enough for me to give it a try. I won't hold any expectations till I play the Beta.

Bro you are playing LOTRO like it owes you money - Grunt187
    Anticipation : TERA

• cyandkcyandk Member UncommonPosts: 142

I think this game will work much like Atlantica, turn based combat, but a fully 3D world.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.