Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why this game is bad...

daveospicedaveospice Member UncommonPosts: 361

It's basically just an interactive screen saver.  You spend 80% of your time watching and 20% actually doing anything.

The only things to do in this game is to farm money and items, or mine and craft/research. 

Sure there's exploration, but in a way it's no different than the missions.  You get a base you have to destroy or an army to get to that loot in the container, or the ancient building.

I just feel like I'm banging my head against a wall when I play this game.  I'm really trying to love it, I played Shadowbane and UO and every other game out there (shadowbane was my favorite pvp game next to UO).  The big thing here is that I don't need to kill things to level.  It really throws me off.  When I think of which game to play I think of everything else other than Eve because i'm already leveling!  So what's the point?  I'm not going to find some magic medium laser that's +2 to damage, and I've got plenty of money because my brother in law insists i play this game and gives me butt loads of cash (he has six accounts he plays religiously).

Here's more of why I don't like it;

If you specialize your ship then that's the most optimal situation.  Which means you need multiple accounts, or you'll be spending a lot of time going back and forth between stations switching ships and bookmarking crap.  For instance, my brother in law runs a salvaging machine on his one account (4 salvagers 4 tractor beams or something like that) and he makes butt loads of cash and salvages in like 20 minutes a ton of ships.  It takes me 1-2 hours.

Me?  I have a tractor beam, a salvager, and 6 medium lasers on my BC and that's all I've got running. 

He has a stealth account.  Runs a stealth fighter that checks wormholes and comes back to tell if it's safe, and so on...

Me?  First time I went through a wormhole (not knowing what it was, found it in like .9 sec so I thought it'd be safe... doh...) I got ganked to hell and lost everything.  No biggy, got tons of cash.  But if I didn't have my bro, I'd say ouch.  I doubt I would have wanted to try to work for more cash because making cash in this game is doing the same thing over and over (mining an asteroid, shooting rats, missions, exploration).

The content in this game... if you can call it that, is hardly polished nor extensive.  You have tier 1, tier 2, and tier 3.  They're all stepping stones.   Everything in this game is a stepping stone, and the harsh reality is yes you can destroy others with help or a little bit of luck... but I wouldn't stand a chance against my bro who has every skill maxed.  So I better pray I'm not up against someone who has billions of ISK and can afford the best gear every time they die and has every skill maxed.

Which by now should be most everyone.  Game has been out like five years.

Bottom line:

I don't have fun.  I'm not the type that gets off on imagination and role play, I need it fed to me.

Comments

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

Why this game is bad...

...for you.

• LordmonkusLordmonkus Member Posts: 808

Originally posted by daveospice

It's basically just an interactive screen saver.  You spend 80% of your time watching and 20% actually doing anything.

The only things to do in this game is to farm money and items, or mine and craft/research. 

Thats only a fraction of the things available.

Sure there's exploration, but in a way it's no different than the missions.  You get a base you have to destroy or an army to get to that loot in the container, or the ancient building.

Exploration is a little more than the same as missions. With good exploration and probing skills you get wormholes and the ability to find other players quickly in PvP. Find peoples safe spots and steal their ships they leave floating not at a protected PoS. Probe out mission runners and steal their loot or mission objectives and randsom it.

I just feel like I'm banging my head against a wall when I play this game.  I'm really trying to love it, I played Shadowbane and UO and every other game out there (shadowbane was my favorite pvp game next to UO).  The big thing here is that I don't need to kill things to level.  It really throws me off.  When I think of which game to play I think of everything else other than Eve because i'm already leveling!  So what's the point?  I'm not going to find some magic medium laser that's +2 to damage, and I've got plenty of money because my brother in law insists i play this game and gives me butt loads of cash (he has six accounts he plays religiously).

The game isn't about leveling or money. Yes you need those things but the game isnt so focused on those things, they are a means to an end which is to pay for ships for PvP.

If you specialize your ship then that's the most optimal situation.  Which means you need multiple accounts, or you'll be spending a lot of time going back and forth between stations switching ships and bookmarking crap.  For instance, my brother in law runs a salvaging machine on his one account (4 salvagers 4 tractor beams or something like that) and he makes butt loads of cash and salvages in like 20 minutes a ton of ships.  It takes me 1-2 hours.

Meh, i've gotten by in the game with only 1 account and 1 character since launch. Never once felt I needed a 2nd account alt.

Me?  I have a tractor beam, a salvager, and 6 medium lasers on my BC and that's all I've got running. 

He has a stealth account.  Runs a stealth fighter that checks wormholes and comes back to tell if it's safe, and so on...

Me?  First time I went through a wormhole (not knowing what it was, found it in like .9 sec so I thought it'd be safe... doh...) I got ganked to hell and lost everything.  No biggy, got tons of cash.  But if I didn't have my bro, I'd say ouch.  I doubt I would have wanted to try to work for more cash because making cash in this game is doing the same thing over and over (mining an asteroid, shooting rats, missions, exploration).

And making money in other games is different how ? You just grind quests or mobs to level and earn cash at the same time. Atleast in Eve you can stop and go do something else whenever you want and not be hurting your skill training.

The content in this game... if you can call it that, is hardly polished nor extensive.  You have tier 1, tier 2, and tier 3.  They're all stepping stones.   Everything in this game is a stepping stone, and the harsh reality is yes you can destroy others with help or a little bit of luck... but I wouldn't stand a chance against my bro who has every skill maxed.  So I better pray I'm not up against someone who has billions of ISK and can afford the best gear every time they die and has every skill maxed.

Not sure what you mean by content here. Are you talking about missions ? If so then again explain how this is different than other games where you level and get your gear to go to the next dunegon and get your next tier of gear. If you are leveling by grinding quests are you not just working up tiers ?

As far as pvp goes you are only partially correct. As many Eve vets will tell you player skill and knowledge of game mechanics, your ships abilities and knowing your targets abilities make it so you are able to take out older players. Also explain to me what other games allow a new player with no level or gear to beat a maxxed character with top gear ? None of those games would even let you have a chance but in Eve with knowledge you do have a chance.

Nope, no one in the game has every skill maxxed out, no where near it in fact. I don't think you really understand how Eves skill system works. Higher end skills can take 2 months or more to train  to level 5 depending on attributes. When I trained Battlecruiser 5 that was 45 days for me, plus I cannot fly anything Amarr over a frigate, no laser weapon skills, no mining or any real industrial skills. Did I mention I have been playing since launch ?

Bottom line:

I don't have fun.  I'm not the type that gets off on imagination and role play, I need it fed to me.

Eve might not be for you, it's not for everyone. I do believe however your perceptions and approach to the game are off.

Eve is not a level grind gear based game. Eve is a game where you do what you want. Since you said you liked Shadowbane and UO for the PvP and you have tons of ISK available then maybe you should try out the PvP in Eve. Join a PvP corp, pirate or faction farfare or join a 0.0 corp and do fleet PvP. Eves PvP is where the game really shines, I don't think it's fair to judge it based on it's PvE content when you are looking for PvP.

• ToxiliumToxilium Member UncommonPosts: 905

Your thread title should be restated to: Why I think this game is bad.

This game is not bad, only you don't like it.

I gathered from your "review" that your essentially a baby player who wants everything spoon fed. Your brother shouldn't have given you stuff for free, rather make you work for them (thats half the fun). Your brother also should have taught you how the security system works and what wormholes are.

Case in point: You're not smart enough to research how to play or ask questions. You'd rather have everything shoved down your throat.

• SheistaSheista Member UncommonPosts: 1,203

I kinda lol'ed at the fact that you couldn't figure out to just set up a second ship for salvaging, and to switch between them to salvage everything in a mission after you run it.  And THEN had the nerve to complain about how the game sucked because you couldn't figure out how to be efficient.

• throckmortonthrockmorton Member Posts: 314

If you are an SB fan you will appreciate the brutality you can inflict upon your enemies.

There aren't many games left with Eve's level of freedom.

• tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216

It's basically just an interactive screen saver. 

i stopped reading there..... i kinda got the idea after that. I'm guessing the rest explained how eve was a spreadsheet, skill training sucks, its too complicated, topped with some extra whiiinnnneeee

Playing: EVE Online
    Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
    Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
    KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

Obvious troll is obvious.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• cjy420cjy420 Member Posts: 27

Im not sure why people cant go peacfully and just appreciate the game.

I do not play eve. I wont play eve. But i wish i played eve.  The absolute control of your character would be a joy to me, and the beauty of having things to do with no "content" as it were is brilliant.  Unfortunately, with everything ive read, both good and bad, i would not be able to play it and i can admit that to myself.  Im not hardcore enough and i know i would lack the patience to truly master my character and enjoy those things which appeal to me in the game.  Im a casual player that needs structure to his games unfortunately and maybe in time my tastes will change and i will just bite the bullet.  

Any gamer should be able to appreciate this game, even if its from afar.

Originally posted by cjy420

I do not play eve. I wont play eve. But i wish i played eve.  The absolute control of your character would be a joy to me, and the beauty of having things to do with no "content" as it were is brilliant.  Unfortunately, with everything ive read, both good and bad, i would not be able to play it and i can admit that to myself.  Im not hardcore enough and i know i would lack the patience to truly master my character and enjoy those things which appeal to me in the game.  Im a casual player that needs structure to his games unfortunately and maybe in time my tastes will change and i will just bite the bullet.  

Few styles of gameplay are as "structured" as that of an alliance fleetmember. But that's not  a casual style. EVE supports casual and it supports unstructured, but your options for having both at the same time are rather limited.

• lagerchobglagerchobg Member UncommonPosts: 203

Originally posted by Toxilium

Your thread title should be restated to: Why I think this game is bad.

This game is not bad, only you don't like it.

I gathered from your "review" that your essentially a baby player who wants everything spoon fed. Your brother shouldn't have given you stuff for free, rather make you work for them (thats half the fun). Your brother also should have taught you how the security system works and what wormholes are.

Case in point: You're not smart enough to research how to play or ask questions. You'd rather have everything shoved down your throat.

Yes. I do not like the game either but only because it is not my style. Although the game is pretty amazing for people who like space ships and very in depth skill system. Sorry the game is not my type but from time to time i am also logging in to kill some time.

• EvileEvile Member Posts: 534

I left EVE because it felt like I needed a in game day job just to undock in anything decent. Full loss is an acquired taste. Not my taste.

• cjy420cjy420 Member Posts: 27

Originally posted by Malcanis

Few styles of gameplay are as "structured" as that of an alliance fleetmember. But that's not  a casual style. EVE supports casual and it supports unstructured, but your options for having both at the same time are rather limited.

Gotya.  Maybe what i meant by "structured" was more like "spoon fed" in a way:

Game:  "Okay player now you need to do X to accomplish Y"

Player:  Aye aye captain

Im a simple guy, doesnt take much to make me happy 

• SolarTigerSolarTiger Member Posts: 43

I've been a Space game fan forever and I agree with cjy420...I knew what I was getting into when I played the trial for 2 weeks and signed up for a regular account...I knew that the learning curve was steep and patience was the rule of the day...I did the research and perused the forums/guides/etc...I listened to the help channel and actually helped a few from my own limited experience...I trained patiently in my recommended certificates and dilligently built up rep & isk...I mined/ran missions until I had a solid bank in which to head to the stars....and I let my subscription run out...I knew...to really advance, I would have to venture out to low/null sec...I knew I wasn't up for it...

The game is a gem in the rough and  for those individuals that are ready to be who they ever wanted or dared or destined to be...THIS IS IT!...I just know my limitations and/or frustration level and knew I would love/hate New Eden...but that is just me and I would recommend to anyone ready to step up in the MMO realm to go play this game..

The original poster sounds like every n00b that has ever jumped into their first character and, not reading/doing any tutorial or manual, were the first to have their proverbial ass handed to them, and they quickly jumped on some forum to rant about what a lousy game they just played...Just because the game didn't trip any triggers for you does not mean it sucks...

• DarakDarak Member UncommonPosts: 5

I used to think eve was an interactive screen saver too. Then i started pvping and it kinda changed my view. I pvped on a week old alt with crappy skills in FW and i opened the game up for me. You don't need any money to did it, frigates are cheap. Join FW and kill people with other people, its fun. Its about the most casual, meaningful pvp you can find in any game.

Originally posted by Malcanis

Gotya.  Maybe what i meant by "structured" was more like "spoon fed" in a way:

Game:  "Okay player now you need to do X to accomplish Y"

Player:  Aye aye captain

Im a simple guy, doesnt take much to make me happy 

You p much described the basic level of fleet combat:

FC says bring ship type x, fitted for range y and tank z, that's what you bring.

FC says align to gate, you align to the gate.

FC says shoot that guy, you shoot that guy.

FC says dont jump, hold on gate, you dont jump you hold on the gate.

FC says warp to celestial a or player b at range c, you warp to celestial a or player b at range c.

If you can do all of those 5 things without fucking up more than once a week or so, then you're already in the top 20% of fleet PvPers.

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

What you say isnt wrong, a little mis-guided but not wrong.   However what you say doesnt actually make the game 'bad'

Because you can spend a lot of time not doing anything its ideal for those with busy lifes!  And actually its ideal to play while playing other games.  you may argue that this is then costing money... but no, doing very little in eve you can earn enough isk to pay for your account... in fact, its so easy to make ISK (if you know how) that many people have multiple accounts.

its not 'sad' to have multiple accounts once you realise that people arnt actually paying money for them.

i have two accounts, but I dont use them together, one is for action packed pvp, the other is more my long term character that can make the ISK and lives out in 0.0

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

It is true, EVE is a game that is more about thinking, planning, executing than actual in-game activity and of course, this doesn't appeal to everyone. Doesn't make it bad, just different.

There are many other activites besides what the OP listed to do in EVE, but in the end, they all support the one primary activity, PVP.  Even if you never fire a shot, odds are you are doing something that contributes to PVP somehow.

Exploring is a form of mission running, the real reason to explore is to find targets to blow up in... PVP. (or run Sleepers in wormholes for fun and profit)

You don't need to kill things to level.  True, and that's what I think is the best part of EVE, no levels and the fact that character progression occurs in real time.  But this is an acquired taste and does not appeal to those who like to "work" for their progression. Doesn't make the game bad though, just different.

Also true, you won't find some sort of dropped item that will make you mega powerful, the purpose of loot drops in EVE is make you richer.  (though some of that faction/officer loot is pretty sweet)

Specialization of ships. (and characters) Most definitely and it does in fact behoove you to have more than one account. Not sure what the point is.  When was it ever written that MMO's should only sell their customers one account? I"m an old DAOC player and we all had alt accounts, in fact at one point I had 3, which is the same as I have for EVE.

One problem for the OP is that he's never worked for his cash, ships go boom and he should say "ouch" and part of the game's charm is to avoid feeling that way again while making sure others feel the pain.

As for not going heads up against an opponent with more skill points, you can destroy them if you make sure the odds are in your favor. Which means having the right fit in the right ship at the right time and when all else fails, bring a couple of friends and destroy your opponent, because in EVE, winning is everything, there's no honor in being a good loser.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

I never understood why spoonfed gamer babies even try to play EVE they always complain.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

Originally posted by Torgrim

I never understood why spoonfed gamer babies even try to play EVE they always complain.

sometimes they can suprise you though!    There was a time when I wouldnt reccomend Eve to anyone,  it was my game and it was something that most of my friends never understood.  For which I was happy about really, it was almost like a private obsession, lol.   And really, truthfully, its a huge drain trying to teach people how to play eve, so i just dont bother.

But since a few of those friends have on their own, decided to try and buy eve has me a bit flawed, especially considering the kind of gamers they were.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Actually the skillsystem in EVE is just that, its spoonfeeding. Its passive and no matter what you do or how succesfull you are in beating challenges, you will improve your character. Before you come even close to learning all learning skills you will have enough money to buy a years worth of skills to train.

I agree with the OP that even though there is of course skill that matters in encounters, you cant change the passive part and that is that player's characters grow more powerfull over time no matter how good they are. Characterdevelopment is nothing but a reward for paying your sub instead of playing the game.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Originally posted by someforumguy

Actually the skillsystem in EVE is just that, its spoonfeeding. Its passive and no matter what you do or how succesfull you are in beating challenges, you will improve your character. Before you come even close to learning all learning skills you will have enough money to buy a years worth of skills to train.

I agree with the OP that even though there is of course skill that matters in encounters, you cant change the passive part and that is that player's characters grow more powerfull over time no matter how good they are. Characterdevelopment is nothing but a reward for paying your sub instead of playing the game.

But just like the OP, you don't understand that advancing your characters skills is not the goal or reward for playing EVE, its just a mechanic that enables a player to experience more and more of the game's content.

Goals in EVE are quite a bit different than traditional games, you are correct, character progression from a skill point basis is just a function of time (or sub payments).  But in EVE, having the skill to do something doesn't mean you'll actually be any good at it. (I'm the perfect example, though my avatars are quite skilled at PVP, the player behind them is very average and I win only about 50% of the time)

The real skill in EVE comes from knowing how to fit your ships correctly and then fly them correctly to maximize your return, be it in becoming a brutally efficient killer or learning how to squeeze out the maximum amount of ISK from a mission in the least amount of time.  

Players have to use their wits to find the best ratting or mining sites (and figure out how to dodge those who would hunt them there). 

You need some pretty high powered ships to beat Sleepers in Class 6 wormholes, but if you don't know exactly how to fly them, you'll soon be overwhelmed and destroyed.

You want a piece of 0.0?  Great, even if you know how to fly a Carrier or Dreadnaught, someone else out there does too, and they have decided that your piece of 0.0 should be theirs now.  To the victor go the spoils.

So if you are looking for a game where the purpose is to run in game activities to improve your character, EVE is not the game for you.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• NightCloakNightCloak Member UncommonPosts: 452

I used to play EVE. And I loved it. I still like the game but I cant bring myself to go back to playing it.

I just don't have the time. I cant commit enough time to the game to feel like I accomplished something.

Also, as far as the "80% watching and 20% doing" is kinda telling of how you played and what you did. For me, long travels were somewhat nice because it gave me a chance to take care of mail and inventory management as well as plan ahead.

EVE is one of the few games where you can find lots of intense action and you have to be paying attention or you can do otherthings that allow you to play while watching TV or doing other things. Its a matter of what you want out of the game.

• I personally love the fact that quite a lot of people don't like EVE, its an aquired taste that not everybody will like. This puts off the legions of morons that seem to clog and ruin other mmos which just leaves a great community

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748

I tried EVE and liked it a lot, but that said, I can see the perspective of those who didn't like it as well. I dont play anymore, simply due to the fact that I have at most an hour a day for an MMORPG, and it felt like it took a lot more than that to get anywhere in EVE. I love the immersion, I love the sandbox, I love what they are adding, and want to be a part of it.

I am hoping DUST 514 gives me an in back into the world of EVE, where I can participate in something cool, something bigger than having my leet new sword of doom, but at the same time remain the very casual player real life requires me to be.

• VultureSkullVultureSkull Member UncommonPosts: 1,774

Bottom line:

The OP has issue with the sand box nature of Eve. Everything in eve is a means to an end. What end? Whatever you want it to be.

The OP is not having fun. So he has to ask himself "what will be fun in the game for me" and work towards that.

There are some established fun things like being a pirate, a bounty hunter, an industrialist, a soldier in the militia or an alliance etc.

Use the in game stepping stones to achieve what you want to do and it will (should) become fun, more fun than other games where a pre-determined route has been designed for all who play it. These games have quests to follow and classes to determine what you do in a group scenario. Here you decide all that.

There is a grind, that is the isk(money) grind as you need isk to achieve anything in Eve, so again this is a means to an end. This may coincide with your chosen career being an (industrialist for example).

But you should really look at what attracted you to eve in the first place and develop along those lines. Did you want to come and do PvP(solo or in group) you can do here, interested in trading you can do it here, crafting here again indepth crafting exists.

Or something not as concrete as that, for example the idea of a game set in space with 1000s of other players,where you could play out your fantasy of being a Han Solo type char, or the char(forget his name now) from a game called Edge of Chaos(which is what i personally like) where you are a single character in a huge universe making the best of what uyou can find, like a freelancer.

I saw this video when i first started playing and it inspired me http://www.eveonline.com/download/videos/Default.asp?a=download&vid=27

Although i am still working towards achieving this goal it keeps me going. I am now planning to move out to 0.0 and have got the ships(tech 3 crusier, Black Ops BS and Exhumers) that i need to do it with, this will entail a lot grief and losses since i am solo but that is the challenge and hence the pull.........................