Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is Dust 514 not going to the PC?

LaterisLateris Member UncommonPosts: 1,831

Am I the only one who feels a little shafted that Dust 514 is going console when "we" the PC market are the clear foundation for CCP? We the PC market are the main source of income for CCP.  I think they need a solid base to begin with and they already have it with "we" the Eve community.

Comments

• ShastraShastra Member Posts: 1,061

Because console market will make them a lot more money. Its a clever business decision. Also maybe they want to bring EVE into the homes of regular console players who have nothing to with MMORPGS.

• EkibiogamiEkibiogami Member UncommonPosts: 2,154

Lets be honest here. PC players dont really play FPS that long unless its 10 ways from sunday awsome.

And there are Far more Console players Who have no idea What Eve even is. And lots sure as heck would rage quit the first day.

No that said, If CCP changed their minds and sold it on PC then I would be first in line. But facts are they want BOTH games to work W/O the other. Just a bonus to Both if they work. Not haveing PC support will make life in that regard easier.

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude; greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    —Samuel Adams

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

I think its brilliant idea to make an FPS counterpart to EVE.

And FPS is better when its on console-  Well no, it could be better on PC, but so many more gamers play on console than PC, and FPS is one of the only types of game that plays semi-well on console, so naturally a lot of the console gamers are playing FPS.  It just makes sense to develop FPS for console.  They are getting a 100% different market, and by mixing it with EVE they are providing console gamers with something they severely lack due to consoles limitations...  Economy, metagame immersion, etc.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

I do wonder how they are going to get console gamers to care about EVE metagame though.  Seems like a lot of them won't really give a shit the way that you must give a shit in EVE.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071

imo they would make more if they just incorporated the fps into eve itself rather than try to compete with bfbc2 red dead redemption mw or halo on the consoles

• NytakitoNytakito Member Posts: 381

Meh.. If Dust514 is that phenominal of an FPS, then I will purchase a console to play it on. 

I like the idea of releasing to console.  It has a larger target audience, and getting CCP's name out there to that audience is very good for EVE, and Dust514 and World of Darkness.

Besides, consoles get Dust514, we get walking in stations.  Oh, and World of Darkness.  I think we're getting the better end of the deal there.  The way I see it an FPS is an FPS is an FPS.. If you really want an FPS for your PC I hear CoDMW2 is good; but what CCP has in store for the EVE universe overall is much greater than any single console game will ever provide.  I see Dust514 as a means to an end, though there won't be an end if CCP has their way with EVE, it will just keep going.

If Dust514 is popular, then CCP will have the funding to staff up some more and offer their customers a phenominally unique Sci-Fi MMO experience, if it takes off and just gets huge, then I'm sure it will eventually get ported to PC.

"If I'd asked my customers what they wanted, they'd have said a faster horse." - Henry Ford

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Originally posted by Lateris

Am I the only one who feels a little shafted that Dust 514 is going console when "we" the PC market are the clear foundation for CCP? We the PC market are the main source of income for CCP.  I think they need a solid base to begin with and they already have it with "we" the Eve community.

"We" the PC/MMORPG market should have no real interest in shooters anyways, so let them build it on the platform where FPS really thrives.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

It is a shame that DUST514 isnt being released on the PC, not sure why it isnt, i can't imagine all that many Eve players would suddenly stop playing Eve just to play DUST514, i know i would have played it alongside Eve... but i don't own an XBOX, and as its only being released on XBOX..... i dont want to buy a console just to play 1 game (console wise.. i only have a Wii....which is a great family console!) so.. unless they do port it to the PC as well, i probably will never get to play Dust514... so not really all that happy about it..

• Aki_RossAki_Ross Member Posts: 166

I think it's a wise move for CCP. I've also got to be honest here as well, if they ever did release it on the PC. I would go out and buy it. But, it's got to be said. I would never buy or own a console just for Dust 514. Simple because, I don't find playing on consoles enjoyable.  image

What I would also like from CCP, is the ability to nuke the entire battle field from orbit in a Titan. I know it's wishful thinking, but use your imaginations.  image

“The fleet does the flying, the dusters do the dying,” that's totally fine with me as long as those console players aren't allowed on-board my ship.  image

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

Originally posted by Lateris

Dust is CCP's attempt to reach the console market. They already have a game for the PC market.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• SomeguynamedSomeguynamed Member UncommonPosts: 69

Dust 514 is not coming to PC because they have to choose one or the other.

If they release it for both the PC and Console, then the console players will get owned because it's much easier to aim and move around with a mouse + keyboard, than with a Joystick.

That's one of the reasons why PC and Console users don't play against each other in Modern Warfare, Battlefield Bad Company 2, etc.  

I think there are also compatibility issues cuz pc games are different from console games. 

• BluefixBluefix Member Posts: 166

When I first heard of the game I was very frustrated it wasn't for pc. I can understand making it for consoles, but completely ignoring pc is strange. For that reason I believe it will come for pc sooner or later, although probably later.

But I'll live. I have kind of stopped caring as the game seems less and less interesting the more I hear of it. Also with the release of BF Bad Company 2 I also guess I'll have a hard time returning to games without destructible environment :)

Originally posted by Someguynamed

If they release it for both the PC and Console, then the console players will get owned because it's much easier to aim and move around with a mouse + keyboard, than with a Joystick.

That's one of the reasons why PC and Console users don't play against each other in Modern Warfare, Battlefield Bad Company 2, etc.  

I think there are also compatibility issues cuz pc games are different from console games. 

It's not a mmo like Eve, so there's no reason to connect pc and console players to the same servers.

Originally posted by Bluefix

Originally posted by Someguynamed

It's not a mmo like Eve, so there's no reason to connect pc and console players to the same servers.

Er, except that it is an MMO.

Yeah a lot of people think that it's a mmo, but that's because most people havent read enough about it.

Depends on your definition of course. I remember an interview with a developer where he also was hesitant to call it a mmo because it was very uncertain how many players would be able to connect to a single server. It could be as much as 250 or as little as 32. I also read somewhere else that it was currently set at 64. Now I dont think it will be 32(I certainly like to think CCP is more ambitious than that), but anything below 100 certainly isn't a mmo.

Now since this is so uncertain it still could be a mmo, but so far it seems mostly to be the connection to the mmo Eve than actually being a mmo in itself that is the selling point of Dust.

But if some unknown planetary influence in Eve is enough to be called a mmo, then thats not the definition you should use when reading my comment :) For the record CCP's own website also calls it an FPS rather than a MMOFPS.

But whatever definition you use, the design does not remove the ability to have both a pc and console version. Obviously only taking known information into account, which is tricky for any game in development.

Edit: Just to be clear my original comment also didn't state that Dust isn't a mmo, but that it isn't a mmo like Eve (1 shard). Probably wasn't too clear.

However like I have written above a lot seems to indicate that it isn't a mmo at all.

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

The console players would cry because we'd slap them three ways to Sunday with a mouse and keyboard vs. their limited controllers.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

My first guess would be CCP just wants to reach out to a different - and untapped, when it comes to MMOs - market. Would I like it on PC? Sure. But I hope this will bridge the gap between the two systems and we can realize that we're all gamers (fat chance, right?). Some of us may even own a PC and a console!

• OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034

Consolers are the mortals over which we reign, the laboring meat, the pawns and the unfortunate untranscended: ignorant and oblivious to the greater universe, dismissive of humanity's future and bound to die for less than we can accomplish a hundred times over in the space of one of their panicked heartbeats.

I find that satisfying.

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
  • A_HiFiA_HiFi Member Posts: 1

When I first heard of the game I was very frustrated it wasn't for pc. I can understand making it for consoles, but completely ignoring pc is strange. For that reason I believe it will come for pc sooner or later, although probably later.

But I'll live. I have kind of stopped caring as the game seems less and less interesting the more I hear of it. Also with the release of BF Bad Company 2 I also guess I'll have a hard time returning to games without destructible environment :)

Marketing. The console market has huge untapped gamer potential. If console players start playing Dust a lot, they'll start showing a lot of interest in EVE. Before you know it, a few trips to the forums and they're already downloading the client for a free trial. It's brilliant.

Yeah a lot of people think that it's a mmo, but that's because most people havent read enough about it.

Depends on your definition of course. I remember an interview with a developer where he also was hesitant to call it a mmo because it was very uncertain how many players would be able to connect to a single server. It could be as much as 250 or as little as 32. I also read somewhere else that it was currently set at 64. Now I dont think it will be 32(I certainly like to think CCP is more ambitious than that), but anything below 100 certainly isn't a mmo.

Now since this is so uncertain it still could be a mmo, but so far it seems mostly to be the connection to the mmo Eve than actually being a mmo in itself that is the selling point of Dust.

But if some unknown planetary influence in Eve is enough to be called a mmo, then thats not the definition you should use when reading my comment :) For the record CCP's own website also calls it an FPS rather than a MMOFPS.

But whatever definition you use, the design does not remove the ability to have both a pc and console version. Obviously only taking known information into account, which is tricky for any game in development.

Edit: Just to be clear my original comment also didn't state that Dust isn't a mmo, but that it isn't a mmo like Eve (1 shard). Probably wasn't too clear.

However like I have written above a lot seems to indicate that it isn't a mmo at all.

Yeah, the limit for any one battle is 64 vs 64 IIRC, but Dust is set in a single persistent universe (ie: New Eden), and any player can end up in conflict or in clan with any other player. That's pretty much the whole point of it, and what distinguishes it from being Yet Another Multiplayer FPS. The PvP part of Dust is the Dustbunnies fighting each other over planetary resources owned by capsuleers - so by definition, it is single sharded as EVE is single sharded.

How then to seperate the PC and console gamers?

In any case, the whole premise that CCP somehow "owes" PC owners a client is flawed. You might think it's a good idea, and when you're releasing your MMOFPS game to link in to your MMO, you can release it as a PC game if you like. But to claim that there is some kind of moral debt on CCP's part to PC gamers is, frankly, the argument of a spoiled brat.

• jrs77jrs77 Member Posts: 419

It's not going to be released on PC, because you don't mix up console and PC in a FPS.
    Easy as that imho.

• Aki_RossAki_Ross Member Posts: 166

Originally posted by Saerain

Consolers are the mortals over which we reign, the laboring meat, the pawns and the unfortunate untranscended: ignorant and oblivious to the greater universe, dismissive of humanity's future and bound to die for less than we can accomplish a hundred times over in the space of one of their panicked heartbeats.

I find that satisfying.

Nice!  image

Originally posted by A_HiFi

Marketing. The console market has huge untapped gamer potential. If console players start playing Dust a lot, they'll start showing a lot of interest in EVE. Before you know it, a few trips to the forums and they're already downloading the client for a free trial. It's brilliant.

Definately true, but not something that removes the ability to make it for pc as well.

Originally posted by Malcanis

Yeah, the limit for any one battle is 64 vs 64 IIRC, but Dust is set in a single persistent universe (ie: New Eden), and any player can end up in conflict or in clan with any other player. That's pretty much the whole point of it, and what distinguishes it from being Yet Another Multiplayer FPS. The PvP part of Dust is the Dustbunnies fighting each other over planetary resources owned by capsuleers - so by definition, it is single sharded as EVE is single sharded.

How then to seperate the PC and console gamers?

In any case, the whole premise that CCP somehow "owes" PC owners a client is flawed. You might think it's a good idea, and when you're releasing your MMOFPS game to link in to your MMO, you can release it as a PC game if you like. But to claim that there is some kind of moral debt on CCP's part to PC gamers is, frankly, the argument of a spoiled brat.

it's 64 total, not 64 vs 64. Although it could of course become 64 vs 64, as they have said the maps are very scalable.

And yes I know it's not just another mp fps. I'm just saying it's more of a hybrid than a mmo. And for the record I think that's fine. Actually I prefer fps's that have less players on a map since it increases my own influence.

And I also specifically said that if it's the connection with Eve that makes it a mmo, then that's not the definition I'm using. The reason for this is that Dust is marketed for a completely opposite segment (often not Eve players). My point being that Dust players are not really interested in what happens in Eve, but just the rewards that Eve players give. That is way too limited a feature to be considered a mmo. Especially since it's a influence made by a completely different game and not other Dust players. Now this is getting a bit technical so lets just stop here. My only point was that it's not a Planetside mmo with a battlefield of 500 players, but a multiplayer game with a influence on a mmo. Whether that meets the definition or not is irrelevant.

Ignoring the whole mmo-discussion this actually worries me a bit, because the influence from Dust seems to be more interesting for Eve players than for Dust players. I hope this is because we are yet to learn interesting stuff about the influence Eve has on Dust.

Seperating console and pc players is simple. Some planets will be fought on pc and some on console.

I'm going to assume your last outburst was directed at someone else.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

A lot more competition in the PC FPS market. You'd actually have to make a very, very good game to do good.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky