Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Voice acting and invisible walls.

shokeroshokero Member Posts: 41

Hi, I know currently ffxiv is in the Alpha stage, and I got a chance to sit down and play a bit of it at a friends house. One of the things I was wondering is:

Are there gonna be voices for your character when your in combat? Because when I was in a short party it just felt like I was playing a robot devoid of any emotion.

Also will npcs have short dialogues or even cutscenes such as, "Here you are, come back soon!" or "I need help those ___ stole my crops and need them back!"

One last thing that kinda bugged me is the fact if you go to close to an edge on something, you're basicaly running into a invisible wall. It just doesn't feel right, they should have it so if im not careful enough I'll fall over to my death, which makes it more realistic, in a fanatasy game.

Cast In The Name Of God, Ye Not Guilty

Comments

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

I am fairly confident that there'll be some voices for your character as you fight, like "HEYAAH" when you strike and so on. Like most other things, they have probably been removed from the client to save space.

Guildleve quests are not the only quests you'll be doing. There'll be a wide variety of quests with cutscenes, but those may not be related to the leves at all. They are also not relevant to the testing, so they have been removed (for the most part) in order to save the space.

You can't fall to your death. Sorry.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • shokeroshokero Member Posts: 41

I see that explains it, thanks for the info :)

Cast In The Name Of God, Ye Not Guilty

• DisdenaDisdena Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

Originally posted by shokero

It just doesn't feel right, they should have it so if im not careful enough I'll fall over to my death, which makes it more realistic, in a fanatasy game.

...you weren't on the EQ design team, by any chance? I've always wondered who thought it would be a brilliant idea to put a newbie city in the treetops with no railings, so that a misstep means 700 damage and a small crater with your corpse in the middle.

• VyntVynt Member UncommonPosts: 757

Originally posted by Disdena

It just doesn't feel right, they should have it so if im not careful enough I'll fall over to my death, which makes it more realistic, in a fanatasy game.

...you weren't on the EQ design team, by any chance? I've always wondered who thought it would be a brilliant idea to put a newbie city in the treetops with no railings, so that a misstep means 700 damage and a small crater with your corpse in the middle.

That was my favorite part of Kelethin!

• Ichigo83Ichigo83 Member Posts: 86

I know they don;t want to make players fall to there death becuz we all know death comes at a cost wather its exp armor dmg loss of gold ect.. so no one wants to fall off something that you know in real life you wont just talk off  and die when i see the cliiff in front of you unless or a complate moron.

• fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240

Originally posted by Vynt

Originally posted by Disdena

That was my favorite part of Kelethin!

Ahh good old Kelethin; The place to go if you wanted to see it rain Wood elves :)

Running through Highpass was fun too... make it all the way there running from Qeynos, and then you either weren't paying close attention of hit a bit of lag and then 'WEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeee.....' *Splat!*

But yeah, I am sure there will be voices added to the players and NPCs. Not full scale voice acting but standard "Hello there" NPC dialog and player combat sounds. If not I would agree it would feel very odd....

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• ImperialPandImperialPand Member Posts: 24

Sure it might feel "realistic" the first time you fall, but after a while it just becomes an unnecessary annoyance. I'd rather not have to chat in short bursts while running near edges because I need to constantly readjust my run path.

No idea how much voice they plan to include but I hope as much as possible. When I was a kid no games had voice. But after some thought when recently replaying old games, I realized it just feels like something was missing without voice.

-a

Aside from the combat "voices", the three mainstories will have VA. 

That's not all of the story the game will bring, but the biggest and most epic ones for sure.

The first title the director of this game directed was the second expansion pack of FFXI.. known for it's story that rivals single player RPG's.

It consisted of 8 chapters, with each chapter having 4 to 5 missions, 34 missions together. Few of them also branched to three different submissions, so the overall mission count goes higher than that. Out of those, 18 missions had you fight a larger boss or otherwise included dungeon crawling. Other missions progressed the story with cutscenes.

Not to mention all the "quests" that doubled the amount of story content the expansion pack had to offer (each with many cutscenes and most with battlefields).

It was also known for it's fierce difficulty curve...!

I think the competition between XIV and TOR will be fierce, when it comes to missions ;).

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by ImperialPand

Sure it might feel "realistic" the first time you fall, but after a while it just becomes an unnecessary annoyance. I'd rather not have to chat in short bursts while running near edges because I need to constantly readjust my run path.

Invisible fences to keep people from falling over sounds a bit... silly. I mean even Blizzard would think that is a bit to far with doing things easy.

OP: What was the good parts? How did the animation feel? Will you buy the game or not when it comes out?

A beta is of course not fair to compare with any released game but it does tell you a few things about how the end product will be, at least if it is fun to play or not.

• cjy420cjy420 Member Posts: 27

Originally posted by Ichigo83

I know they don;t want to make players fall to there death becuz we all know death comes at a cost wather its exp armor dmg loss of gold ect.. so no one wants to fall off something that you know in real life you wont just talk off  and die when i see the cliiff in front of you unless or a complate moron.

I believe that's the OP's point exactly.  Immersion can come in small forms like that and add up to bigger experiences.  

Small example:

~A big sheer cliff....look down below and theres a valley you need to get to, simple enough to jump right?  Well no if you did that you would be a moron and die.  Gotta find a path....hmmmm.  Oh whats that over there?  Perfect goes right down.....but through that dark wood......~

If the game was fully open, meaning that the sheer cliff didnt have an invisible wall, you would of had to make the choice to find the path instead of it finding you. And having to take that detour, it lead you to a dark wood with something else that would engage you on your initial journey to the valley below.  

Sorry if that seemed like a ramble, hope you get his point........hope I too, got his point lol

Originally posted by Loke666

Invisible fences to keep people from falling over sounds a bit... silly. I mean even Blizzard would think that is a bit to far with doing things easy.

OP: What was the good parts? How did the animation feel? Will you buy the game or not when it comes out?

A beta is of course not fair to compare with any released game but it does tell you a few things about how the end product will be, at least if it is fun to play or not.

It's purely a design choice. I don't know what causes it, but it has something to do with the game engine.

Sent you a PM as well.

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056

Agreed. Invisible walls are a reminder that you are in a game - not a world. It hurts immersion. An MMORPG needs to be a world.

Isn't this 2010? How are we supposed to take serisously an MMO engine that doesn't allow jumping, falling, and swimming?

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

Originally posted by MMO_Doubter

Agreed. Invisible walls are a reminder that you are in a game - not a world. It hurts immersion. An MMORPG needs to be a world.

Isn't this 2010? How are we supposed to take serisously an MMO engine that doesn't allow jumping, falling, and swimming?

This is purely my opinion, but to me MMO needs to be a game first, and a world second. Whatever we think, this is still a game we're playing after all. If the gameplay sucks, we won't play it no matter how much of a world it is.

I don't have a problem with it. It's great that there is always an option to not to play the game for those to whom this means so much.

• gthreenogthreeno Member Posts: 36

Why can't it be both first?

Originally posted by gthreeno

Why can't it be both first?

Resources are limited.

When you can have the cake and eat it too, let me know.

Why would I have a cake if I wasn't going to eat it?

Why would I have a cake if I wasn't going to eat it?

Can you eat it and have it at the same time? No.

But.. I couldn't eat it if I didn't have it to begin with!?

But.. I couldn't eat it if I didn't have it to begin with!?

Yes, but you have to choose.

Either you keep it, or you consume it.

You can't have both at the same time. Except if you buy another cake. Which would mean buying another game where "world" is #1, and then you have the other cake(game) where gameplay is #1. I recommend that too.

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230

So maybe I dont be a pig and just have 1 slice of cake today and save the rest for tomorrow?

Seriously, the assumption that they dont have the resources to remove invisible walls is terribly unfounded.  You can have a game and a world.  Dont let loyalty to the old system blind you to truth.

Originally posted by svann

So maybe I dont be a pig and just have 1 slice of cake today and save the rest for tomorrow?

Seriously, the assumption that they dont have the resources to remove invisible walls is terribly unfounded.  You can have a game and a world.  Dont let loyalty to the old system blind you to truth.

Yeah, that's right.. don't be a pig and get a halfassed gameplay today, and save the rest for the next game in few years. Great.

Seriously, they have resources but they don't have resources for (now comes the important word) Everything.

They can't do everything. They can do as much as their budget allows.

And if their budget doesn't allow to make an engine which removes invisible walls, then that money is obviously going somewhere else.

Like *gasp* gameplay.

But alright. Let's make an engine which can do that. 

Or we can just play other extremely successful MMO's which did that, like AoC, Aion and Warhammer.

I know they prioritized their resources right. The massive success speaks for itself.

I'm sorry for being an ass. This is not the first time I've talked about this, and probably not the last either.

• xaldraxiusxaldraxius Member Posts: 1,249

Invisible rails on drop offs aren't so bad in themselves, but it suggests that invisible walls will exist in other places as well restricting your ability to explore. That's pure conjecture though at this point since I haven't seen the game at all and it's still in alpha. Personally I would prefer having to be careful around cliff edges in order to have the option to choose my own paths, to me that is part of the gameplay aspect.

• xaldraxiusxaldraxius Member Posts: 1,249

Originally posted by Hyanmen

Originally posted by svann

Yeah, that's right.. don't be a pig and get a halfassed gameplay today, and save the rest for the next game in few years. Great.

Seriously, they have resources but they don't have resources for (now comes the important word) Everything.

They can't do everything. They can do as much as their budget allows.

And if their budget doesn't allow to make an engine which removes invisible walls, then that money is obviously going somewhere else.

Like *gasp* gameplay.

But alright. Let's make an engine which can do that. 

Or we can just play other extremely successful MMO's which did that, like AoC, Aion and Warhammer.

I know they prioritized their resources right. The massive success speaks for itself.

I'm sorry for being an ass. This is not the first time I've talked about this, and probably not the last either.

I don't know about the others but AoC had invisible walls up the yin yang. That game was almost on rails which was one of my biggest disappointments with it.

Originally posted by xaldraxius

Invisible rails on drop offs aren't so bad in themselves, but it suggests that invisible walls will exist in other places as well restricting your ability to explore. That's pure conjecture though at this point since I haven't seen the game at all and it's still in alpha. Personally I would prefer having to be careful around cliff edges in order to have the option to choose my own paths, to me that is part of the gameplay aspect.

I know what you mean, but the game will be made in a way that those "invisible walls" won't restrict your ability to explore.

Same goes for jumping, swimming and so on. If such features were needed, they would have been implemented.

Originally posted by xaldraxius

I don't know about the others but AoC had invisible walls up the yin yang. That game was almost on rails which was one of my biggest disappointments with it.

Ah, no wonder I thought it had such huge potential.

Too bad they bit more than they could chew.