Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone else planning on trying out GW2 that missed out on GW1?

KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

This thread is mainly out of curiosity to see if there are many others like myself that plan on at least giving the new incarnation a fair go, but who missed out on the first one for whatever reason.

At the time when it came out it was one that my previous girlfriend bought and played it while i already had a couple of other MMO's i was into at the time. So it sort of became "her game". I made a character on her account and messed around for all of an hour, but didn't really dig the whole being off in my own instance thing, i ignorantly never even attempted going straight into the 20 PvP being so used to building my characters up in levels/stats previously in other games so assumed it would be... silly PvP for want of a better phrase.

Over the years though, more and more i've found myself wondering if i robbed myself of a great experience, especially as new members joined our guild in other games talking about their past experiences in Guild Wars and how much fun they had. Most of them tended to be decent to very good PvP'ers to boot, i'm not saying the game made them the great PvP'ers but it must have had a decent draw for them to have spent so much time in it.

So, anyone else feel that they robbed themselves of the whole experience but plan to give the new version a fair inspection? I certainly will this time around.

Comments

• neonakaneonaka Member UncommonPosts: 779

You know it still isn't to late to give GW1 a go. I recently ressurected my old guild there and have people from here and other places coming into the guild all the time. We are still small, but slowly growing.

If you wanted to see what it was all about you would be more than welcome to come join us. We do everything in game pve and pvp wise and play only to have fun, no requirements on classes or playtime.

Our plan right now is to just enjoy GW1 until GW2 comes out, we have decided as a guild we will all be getting GW2 to at least try it. If it sucks we will stay in GW1 if it is good, we will all just roll over there.

The offer is on the table if you want further info just send me a PM.

• zeowyrmzeowyrm Member Posts: 746

Core trilogy is only 20 bucks on Steam right now.  Kind of a crime to miss out on GW1 for that price.

• DAHBOODAHBOO Member UncommonPosts: 137

I will try and most likely keep playing gw2 but did not play gw1 because it was not wasd.

• zeowyrmzeowyrm Member Posts: 746

Originally posted by DAHBOO

I will try and most likely keep playing gw2 but did not play gw1 because it was not wasd.

I call bullshit on this. I play GW with wasd controls. 

Sorry, didn't mean to come off rude, but that is a major misconception.

• neonakaneonaka Member UncommonPosts: 779

Yeah GW1 is wasd controls or in my case up, down, left, right arrow keys, but every function in GW can be keymapped to whatever you want, all movement controls.

• nukedudenukedude Member Posts: 101

Indeed, Guild Wars can be played by WASD, but sometimes u need to take a bit of time to configure your keys, because there are a shitload of options to which you can bind your keys.

• DAHBOODAHBOO Member UncommonPosts: 137

I got the game when it first came out and it was point and click like lineage, did they add in wasd at a later patch?

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

It's always had keyboard movement.

• TalthanysTalthanys Member Posts: 458

Missed out on the first, incredibly psyched about the upcoming GW2. Seems to have jsut about everything I want in a MMO.

-tal

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071

guild wars was my 1st mmo then i got lost in warcraft so i didnt play the expansions i definately want to try out GW2 ty for the post

• Kawi1Kawi1 Member UncommonPosts: 34

Ya, I'd go with what Zeowyrn said.  $20 for the trilogy is good incentive to give it a try.

• MI3chuMI3chu Member Posts: 1

Shortly - yes.

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071

Originally posted by zeowyrm

I call bullshit on this. I play GW with wasd controls. 

Sorry, didn't mean to come off rude, but that is a major misconception.

yea GW was my 1st mmo i dont remember it not being wasd or mouse movement i never point and clicked

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

I got the game when it first came out and it was point and click like lineage, did they add in wasd at a later patch?

i played GW since the day it launched back in spring 2005 -- I *never* point and cicked to move

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

I have all 3 expansions on my account but only played GW1 for 3 months, together with my then 12 year old daughter, it was lot of fun as long as it lasted.

Tried to log in with my old account today, but no luck, sad thing is i changed ISP and E-mail adresses since then so i have contacted customer support...

Still need to play through the orriginal core story... did yhe 2 expansion packs tough... so i guess i am good to try.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• rejektrejekt Member Posts: 39

I gave GW1 a try with a buddies account when he wasn't playing. This was back before the expansions or when only one expansion was out, don't remember. I had a lot of hang ups with it that I'm not sure changed or not, but I have a hard time wanting to buy the game to find out.

I played to level 14, and 90% of that time I played with NPCs in my party to help me complete the stages. The other 10% of the time was when a few friends on their accounts walked me through a level or if I tried to do a stage with randoms. Which was the biggest mistake ever, though not as bad as some pub runs in WoW.

I played as an Ele/Mesmer, and due to one of my items or whatever I had a res ability on a 10m cooldown. There were two Necro/Monks in the group, neither of which brought healing/res spells with them. It was a setup for failure right from the beginning and it only got worse every time I tried to play with others.

My other hang up was the fact that I was at level 14 still using the same armor that I had bought at level 6.  There just wasn't anything to find to replace what I had or anything worth buying. Which is terrible for those that like to see their character advance, not only in skill but in armor progression as well.

However, I will keep an eye on GW2 and see how it goes. I'm liking what is announced so far so time will tell.

<? while (!$i['care']) echo '...'; ?>

• BrifBrif Member UncommonPosts: 529

I could never play the first Guild Wars because you couldn't jump.  Unless this is added in GW2, I won't be playing it either.

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

I never played GW 1 because of all the istancing, if GW 2 truely does get away from instances you can count on me atleast giving it a try.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532

well I tried GW1 but couldn't stomach it because of the 1) instancing 2) invisible walls 3) no jumping 4) "tunnel" PvE content and 5) no jumping

GW2 adresses all of those so I guess I'll try it and there is this wonderful 3-sided RvR to boot!

my only concern is this increased level cap thing.. i hope it won't turn out into another leveling treadmill game.. I really loved the lateral advancement scheme from GW1 and hoped they would do away with silly levels altogether in GW2. But hey, you can hope for only so much..

• RhyscoRhysco Member UncommonPosts: 7

@ Rejekt - I think you missed the point in the first GW... the game was meant to be skill based, so armour didn't really count that much... however you had various types of armour that you could craft and therefore be different from other generally more available. In the party's however I must agree with you a little, some players didn't thought things through and would eventually kill the group, but you could always made a group that you knew would make the mission a lot easier, most times when I played I spent more time searching for a healer to do a certain mission, just because the group already was aware that without one the mission would fail... henchman where there only to fill in when there was no other choice.

@ Brif - The first game i remember you could jump was WoW. I honestly don't think that is an important factor, in GW you don't need to jump to be able to enjoy the game. I don't think that in WoW jumping is also really necessary, for the combat or even exploration... but is always cool to have it around... anyway i use jump mostly to spend time when waiting for something =)

I will play GW2... so far it's becoming a great game...

Originally posted by toddze

I never played GW 1 because of all the istancing, if GW 2 truely does get away from instances you can count on me atleast giving it a try.

There will be instances as you know them from WoW...

And there will be instances to tell some stories as you might know them from the books in Lotro

The PvP will be instanced in the mists, where PvP games are very competitive and can be seen as an advanced form of tournaments.  Its how PvP was in the orriginal GW.

WvW is wide open areas PVP comparable to DAoC RvR, so wide open and not instanced.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• HiromantHiromant Member UncommonPosts: 99

No jumping is part of what made Guild Wars so great. No annoying jumping and no ADD kiddes who can't keep their thumb off the spacebar.

Then Nightfall introduced Heroes and ruined the game anyway.

Originally posted by s4nder

No jumping is part of what made Guild Wars so great. No annoying jumping and no ADD kiddes who can't keep their thumb off the spacebar.

Then Nightfall introduced Heroes and ruined the game anyway.

Well, jumping will be part of GW2...  and heroes won't