Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which of these MMO games have the highest population and or are worth giving a second shot?

Pyro2008Pyro2008 Member Posts: 12

I want to get back into MMO gaming but not with a game that has a rapidly dying population, virtually no population  or that is still too buggy.

MMO's

Aion

AoC

Warhammer

Atlantica

EQ II

Which game would you play based on population first and everything else second? EQII is the only one I can find population statistics on. :/

Comments

• sevitothsevitoth Member UncommonPosts: 375

AoC is releasing their expansion next month, so that should increase their population at least in the short term.

I personally prefer AoC over EQ2, having played both.

Currently Playing: DAOC Uthgard

Previously Played: UO, DAOC, Shadowbane, AC2, SWG, Horizons, COX, WOW, EQ2, LOTRO, AOC, WAR, Vanguard, Rift, SWTOR, ESO, GW2.

• JerYnkFanJerYnkFan Member UncommonPosts: 342

AOC gets my vote.

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,880

AoC pop has been on the rise since a few patches ago. It also has its expansion coming out which is bringing back a good chunk of old players. Aion hasn't changed one bit it is still one huge grind fest and its population has dropped a lot. EQ2 is also worth a shot since it just released an expansion as well.

• dougmysticeydougmysticey Member Posts: 1,176

Definately AOC. It is a very solid, visually outstanding game worth playing now. The expansion should definately help boost the population which is fine already on the servers I am on.

• AristidesAristides Member Posts: 172

AoC, no doubt at all.

• red74red74 Member Posts: 8

None of the above.

Try LoTRO

• Pyro2008Pyro2008 Member Posts: 12

Wow, unanimous!

Is Warhammer all but off the population map?

• uquipuuquipu Member Posts: 1,516

Runescape has huge numbers.

Aion has huge numbers.

WoW
    Aion
    Runescape

Never played Runescape, but it must be doing something right.

Well shave my back and call me an elf! -- Oghren

Originally posted by red74

None of the above.

Try LoTRO

I tried LoTRO about a year ago and I just couldn't get into it. As much as I love everything Tolkien related and wanted to love this game, I couldn't get past level 7 or so out of boredom :( Does it get a whole lot better at a certain point or is it mostly the same thing throughout the entire game? Not referring to the boredom of course but the feel, fun factor, population and look of the game.

• sevitothsevitoth Member UncommonPosts: 375

Originally posted by Pyro2008

Wow, unanimous!

Is Warhammer all but off the population map?

Warhammer already had very low subscription numbers, and is pretty much circling the drain at this point, after their billing fiasco. I wouldn't play it.

Currently Playing: DAOC Uthgard

Previously Played: UO, DAOC, Shadowbane, AC2, SWG, Horizons, COX, WOW, EQ2, LOTRO, AOC, WAR, Vanguard, Rift, SWTOR, ESO, GW2.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

I think of the games on your list, Aion has the largest population.  I don't know if it is sharded (split up over multiple worlds).  I'm fairly sure that AOC is single world, so its population density could be quite good.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • ShastraShastra Member Posts: 1,061

AOC and EQ2, take your pick. I have active sub for both.

• DarbiiRueDarbiiRue Member UncommonPosts: 832
    Firstly, Aion, in my opinion was a horrible game of linear quest lines, bots and gold farmers.

I recently returned to Age of Conan but left one month into it. I found a lot of hackers. There will be some that tell me to L2P, but the truth of the matter is, the game is plagued by third party program users and Funcom does nothing about it. If you report someone without frapped evidence, nothing will happen to that person. If you have video evidence, they get a short account suspension and that's the gist of it. It has ruined the game for me, and as such, I will not be participating in the expansion.

Onto the fun part. Everquest II. Shortly after my foray into Age of Conan, I decided to pick back up EQ2 and I have to say, I am really happy I did that. I guess in the past I never really gave the game the time or attention that I now feel, it deserved. I am on the Antonia Bayle server and I have to say the population is booming. There are new players everyday and I have yet to run through a zone without seeing anyone else, I always see people! When I got back into the game, I met a guy who made a guild and in the last month several of us have built an awesome guild and we are actively playing the game together. My guild has a ton of alts covering a lot of levels, so its always fairly easy to get a group together.

So far, its the most fun I've had in a game in an incredibly long time. Its the first time in over a year that I have stuck with a game longer then a month! Overall, I'd say its definitely worth another look. An expansion, Sentinel's Fate, was just released back in February and in May they are adding a content update with lower level battlegrounds, New Halas and Shader 3.0. May is shaping up to be a busy month!

Anyhow, thats just my two cents! Good luck on choosing something to play, and if you want any info regarding EQ2, just send me a PM.
  • montinmontin Member Posts: 218

I tend to play a MMO for a couple of months, quit and return to it a year or more later. Due to the fact MMOs these days are so easy (if you remember MUDing then you will probably agree). Anyway, I notice some games seem a bit dead when I return to them. Cant say about Aion because I never played it. EQ2 and WoW are both games that on returning to still seem to be alive. Warhammers population feels low but from a few months back was still certainly playable. AoC I played at release, enjoyed it, quit after the first month having maxed a character. I did return last year for another month but found nothing to make me want to continue. Saying that it's a nice looking game but I have no idea on population. atm I'm in the same boat and am toying with rejoining either EQ2 or AoC. I'll probably go for EQ2 and then AoC a couple of months later due to their new expansion.

• red74red74 Member Posts: 8

None of the above.

Try LoTRO

I tried LoTRO about a year ago and I just couldn't get into it. As much as I love everything Tolkien related and wanted to love this game, I couldn't get past level 7 or so out of boredom :( Does it get a whole lot better at a certain point or is it mostly the same thing throughout the entire game? Not referring to the boredom of course but the feel, fun factor, population and look of the game.

If you want to be bored, try aion.

I played LoTRO for 2 year by now, 3 or 4 evenings every week, and I still enojoy it very much. As every mmo, you need to find a bunch of friendly players to play with and to enojoy the real fun.

If that is boredom for you, try an fps, maybe it suite better your style.

The look: better than WOW and WAR, worst than AoC and AION

The feel: the best ever. The lore, the world, the people doing role playing. A walk in the green shire, is a thing everyone must try with the trial, maybe following on a map the steps of frodo.

Population: Fixed and a little increasing in the last year. And very friendly. LoTRO has been voted for the best MMO Community.

EndGame: A bit grinding/farming as every mmo endgame. But funny and engaging. Find a good kinship and have fun.

Originally posted by Splinki
    Firstly, Aion, in my opinion was a horrible game of linear quest lines, bots and gold farmers.

I recently returned to Age of Conan but left one month into it. I found a lot of hackers. There will be some that tell me to L2P, but the truth of the matter is, the game is plagued by third party program users and Funcom does nothing about it. If you report someone without frapped evidence, nothing will happen to that person. If you have video evidence, they get a short account suspension and that's the gist of it. It has ruined the game for me, and as such, I will not be participating in the expansion.

Onto the fun part. Everquest II. Shortly after my foray into Age of Conan, I decided to pick back up EQ2 and I have to say, I am really happy I did that. I guess in the past I never really gave the game the time or attention that I now feel, it deserved. I am on the Antonia Bayle server and I have to say the population is booming. There are new players everyday and I have yet to run through a zone without seeing anyone else, I always see people! When I got back into the game, I met a guy who made a guild and in the last month several of us have built an awesome guild and we are actively playing the game together. My guild has a ton of alts covering a lot of levels, so its always fairly easy to get a group together.

So far, its the most fun I've had in a game in an incredibly long time. Its the first time in over a year that I have stuck with a game longer then a month! Overall, I'd say its definitely worth another look. An expansion, Sentinel's Fate, was just released back in February and in May they are adding a content update with lower level battlegrounds, New Halas and Shader 3.0. May is shaping up to be a busy month!

Anyhow, thats just my two cents! Good luck on choosing something to play, and if you want any info regarding EQ2, just send me a PM.

Ok thanks, I will be trying it tonight after AoC for a bit.

Originally posted by montin
    I tend to play a MMO for a couple of months, quit and return to it a year or more later. Due to the fact MMOs these days are so easy (if you remember MUDing then you will probably agree). Anyway, I notice some games seem a bit dead when I return to them. Cant say about Aion because I never played it. EQ2 and WoW are both games that on returning to still seem to be alive. Warhammers population feels low but from a few months back was still certainly playable. AoC I played at release, enjoyed it, quit after the first month having maxed a character. I did return last year for another month but found nothing to make me want to continue. Saying that it's a nice looking game but I have no idea on population. atm I'm in the same boat and am toying with rejoining either EQ2 or AoC. I'll probably go for EQ2 and then AoC a couple of months later due to their new expansion.

Well, I downloaded all of the games I mentioned last night. Tonight I get to try them for myself but will start with AoC. Whenever I find a game with the right feel for population and content I won't bother trying anything else for awhile.
    I typically do the same thing as you though. A few months of gaming then I am bored. I miss the days of Asheron's Call where it really felt like a community. People would flock to the IGN boards and you would learn hundreds of names, it was kind of like the facebook of MMO's. With every patch you would see those hundreds of people you knew so well banding together to conquer the new content.
    Leveling was extremely slow and originally took about a year to hit cap maybe less. You just went out to hunt with friends and shoot the bull. Communication was so easy it was like texting.

None of the above.
    Try LoTRO

If you want to be bored, try aion.
    I played LoTRO for 2 year by now, 3 or 4 evenings every week, and I still enojoy it very much. As every mmo, you need to find a bunch of friendly players to play with and to enojoy the real fun.
    If that is boredom for you, try an fps, maybe it suite better your style.

I play tons of FPS actually but thats beside the point. The reason I found LoTRO boring was in part because the starting area is so expansive yet so barren, void many/any other players. While I expect this to an extent, the layout just gave me the impression this was going to be a fedex style leveling process. I don't fully blame the game for this as usually I play a new MMO from the get go and there are massive amounts of people. Since I didn't play this game from release, I don't know what to expect in later levels and I guess I just have no drive to find out.
    That is why I ask if it gets better as you level up. At higher levels are there large meeting areas or are characters spread out still leaving that wide open feeling?
    I guess what I am wondering is if there are major cities as in WoW where you can a decent sense of the population and if there is a way to fast track my way into some of these more populated areas.
    The starting area almost felt as if I was playing offline.

Edit: Also, do you get to visit most, if not all of the major landmarks from the books later in the game?

• MysticMagicMysticMagic Member Posts: 4

Edit: Also, do you get to visit most, if not all of the major landmarks from the books later in the game?

You do get to go to most landmakrs in the game. Some places you will not be able to go to unless you have the expansions. I haven't played enough to see all of the landmarks but you do get to see allot through the game.

I agree with you about the starting areas but it gets really better when you get out of the area. Doing quests that earn you titles, buying houses. It all gets better after a while. It has got really great graphics, Every gaming site I go on loved it!

Time to kick some MMO!

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

My vote goes too aion or AOC, and also just to let you know those games you listed don't have the highest population.

• ZibooZiboo Member UncommonPosts: 158

EQ2 I've found has the most depth and variety to play.  It's hard to get bored in this game.   It's not populated by teens (a big plus) and people are friendly and helpful.  I'm not on the Antonia Bayle server but would play there if I didn't have a great guild and established toons on another server.

LoTRO is great too, but I've never got past level 20 yet.  The population once you get out of the start area is definitely larger.  The PvMP is a hoot - playing a worg - lol.  Beautiful game, friendly people and can't beat the lore.

AoC I really wanted to like at start but lasted about two months. It has improved dramatically (I've gone back a couple times briefly) and if I had the time I'd add it to the mix.  I may still.  It is beautiful, huge world, the characterization and start area are great.  PvP is fun and the combat mechanics are not spam two buttons. 

Never tried Aion although I was looking forward to it.  Too much grind and not enough fun is what most say.

Warhammer - just too dead. I went back in January for a month and couldn't get into it.  Too bad the concept sounded great, but the linear play I disliked.  For a PvP centered game its hard to see the opposition outside of RvR lakes or scenarios.  I do love the feel of it, but wouldn't play again.

Proud member of Hammerfist Clan Gaming Community.

Currently playing: RIFT, EQ2, WoW, LoTRO
    Retired: Warhammer, AoC, EQ
    Waiting: SWToR & GW2

• BlazeyerBlazeyer Member UncommonPosts: 562

You'd be silly not to give FFXI a shot.

Originally posted by MysticMagic

You do get to go to most landmakrs in the game. Some places you will not be able to go to unless you have the expansions. I haven't played enough to see all of the landmarks but you do get to see allot through the game.

I agree with you about the starting areas but it gets really better when you get out of the area. Doing quests that earn you titles, buying houses. It all gets better after a while. It has got really great graphics, Every gaming site I go on loved it!

Tried playing it again tonight. After I got past the crashing (Windows 7) the game looks a lot better than I remember. That said, I have already made it to the same area where I keep quitting. I will stick it through and see what happens on the other side. :)

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I want to get back into MMO gaming but not with a game that has a rapidly dying population, virtually no population  or that is still too buggy.

MMO's

Aion

AoC

Warhammer

Atlantica

EQ II

Which game would you play based on population first and everything else second? EQII is the only one I can find population statistics on. :/

Aion probably still have a slightly larger pop but EQ2 is the best shot there. But AoC might go up a bit when the expansion comes out and it will at least get a load of new content so it is also worth a look.

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

MMO's

Aion ~ pretty Asian grinder dressed up with a monthly sub

AoC ~ Hmmm... they just consolidated down to 4(?) servers from like 40+...just saying...

Warhammer ~ again down to 4 servers from 40+ which is probably too many at this point.

Atlantica ~ seriously?

EQ II ~ any SOE game and high population is an oxymoron

I would say if population is your primary concern go WoW, DDO, GW, EVE or LotR. Oh and City of Heroes