Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

the worlds worste mmo idea.

feel free to post your own.

1 race: human

3 classes: mage = dps. priest = healer. warrior = tank. no customization of classes

300 levels. huge forced quest chain that is exactly the same for you class. only kill ten of x quests. about a hundred of them per level. each level requires the experience needed for the last level squared. eg level seventy needs 3 000 000. level seventy one needs 900000000000 [i think thats right.] [it should take several years to reach the end.[a player would probably quit long before then]] quests are needed not to get levels but unlock new zones.

full free for all full loot pvp across all zones. cannon fodder to god varience in level of power. no crafting. no dungeons. no endgames besides killing lower levels.

no guild system. no group system. no character customization at all. bad graphics.

items cost a shitload. ie a level 1 sword could cost seventy gld. this is to increase grind.

mobs superpowered requiring about fifty playeers on the correct level to beat [with no group tools it could be a little dicey.]. players can be attacked if they go near a mob. and can be aattacked by a mob from an entire different level range.

death = 100% experience loss. [just on level that player is on]. i

Comments

• jm3334jm3334 Member Posts: 38

Even after reading the title of this post, I still read the entire post.

I have now confirmed my own idiocy.....

Ugh...at some point Devs will look outside the box.

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

The Jedi system in SWG, should win this easily. 

Also, end game raiding based design (EQ and WoW). 

And to an extent, quest/instance based leveling, though that one CAN be done right. 

• PiasekPiasek Member Posts: 318

Looks ok, but its F2p..no have a chance :D

• arcanistarcanist Member Posts: 163

garvon. what do you mean.

I thought we were supposed to invent the worlds worst MMO idea, but the SWG Jedi system already won that. 

There was no fair way to do it. The time period there were only a small handful of Jedi in the whole galaxy, and they were ruthelessly hunted. 

So, SOE made it so that you had to grind a million mobs for a rare drop, that told you what class to max out, you'd switch to that class, max it out, then grind for that rare drop again, to find which the next class to max is. You did this for a good 6 months and hopefully unlocked a Jedi slot. Then there were Jedi everywhere. 

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Anything with an Alpha class. SWG is a good example as people have mentioned.

• CactusmanXCactusmanX Member Posts: 2,218

A simulator where you watch paint dry after painting a wall.  By watching paint dry you get rewarded with bigger and better painters overalls and paint brushes. Of course if you want more than one color of overalls or more brushes you have to buy it from the item shop. 

But POO (Paint Observer Online) is really exciting, you can travel to a large variety of locations and watch paint dry on a variety of walls.  Watch out though because other players can steal your paint and then you have to get more, the worlds first competitive paint simulator.  And POO has permadeath which makes the whole experience very exciting, don't drink the lead based paint because your character will die and remain dead. 

You can also spend time making your own paint by collecting small ammounts of pigments and putting them in the paint mixer in a very deep paint-based crafting system.  Then take your paints and sell it at market where you can spam your wares over and over.  POO is group focused so you will need to be in a guild, join raids of up to 50 people to paint bigger more challenging walls and watch it together, the large ammount of down time fosters community. 

Don't you worry little buddy. You're dealing with a man of honor. However, honor requires a higher percentage of profit

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675

Originally posted by Garvon3

I thought we were supposed to invent the worlds worst MMO idea, but the SWG Jedi system already won that. 

There was no fair way to do it. The time period there were only a small handful of Jedi in the whole galaxy, and they were ruthelessly hunted. 

So, SOE made it so that you had to grind a million mobs for a rare drop, that told you what class to max out, you'd switch to that class, max it out, then grind for that rare drop again, to find which the next class to max is. You did this for a good 6 months and hopefully unlocked a Jedi slot. Then there were Jedi everywhere. 

That's the problem with having a ridiculously powerful class that everyone wants to be, either everyone gets to be it or everyone gets pissed.  Both are  bad for the game.

Much better not to have the class available to anyone, ever, but then again, you'd get lots of people leaving the game because they can't be a Jedi.

No win situation.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• scorpio0679scorpio0679 Member Posts: 22

Originally posted by jm3334

Even after reading the title of this post, I still read the entire post.

I have now confirmed my own idiocy.....

HA!  I did too!  And then I read yours!

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

The world's worst MMO idea? Hello Kitty Online. I mean, what kind of idiot would...

Oh. Crap.

• ScottcScottc Member Posts: 680

World of Warcraft!

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942

Justin Webb was cool enough to say "Why not a Twilight MMO?"

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

Originally posted by arcanist

feel free to post your own.

Cryptic already beat you to it with Star Trek Online.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

localising game and then adding an ipblock!

is the worst idea on the planet!

ps:i dont mean localising in the langage i mean :one copy for na,one copy for europe ,one copy for france one copy for africa etc.thats what i mean!

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527

Worst Ideas :

WOW Clones

Chasing WOW Subs With WOW Clones

Heavy Instancing (Star Trek Online)

Cross-Server Interaction and Raids

Gear Dependency

Add-Ons In MMO's

Global Chat

Cash Shops With Subcriptions

Causal Only Oriented MMO's

Server Transfers and Name Changes

Twilight MMO

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

I'm a bit unclear here.  So you want us to say what we think is the worst EXISTING MMO idea....or do you want us to invent one of our OWN?

Here are a few that I think are among the worst EXISTING MMO ideas:

Only two player factions

Pulling PvP out of the world level and essentially cramming it into battlegrounds and scenarios instead of just making a PvP system that has rules, risks, and reward. Sure...it took less effort...but was, imo, damaging to the immersion of game worlds.

Crafting that is an overly simplistic "push one button....poof" mechanic.

Cross server grouping.

Global chat

Auto targetting.

If I had to INVENT a "worst MMO idea," I think it would be:

Just give everyone max level characters with all purdy purplez/epics/mythics (whatever you want to call them) and all their spells and upgrades, allow them to place just their AAs or talent points or skills or w/e and let that BE their customization, because after all....the only thing anyone wants to play in an MMO any more is "end game," so let's meet the customer desire.  Let's just make it like CS Source, basically, where you just log in and immediately start fighting....except let's let people wear pretty armor and use glowy weapons and let's just make the game START there, because....you know....the rest of the game is just a tutorial for "end game" any way, right?  (sarcasm)

Sad thing is....that will probably happen eventually. 

Oh...and if you meant worst IP for an MMO?  Hmm....I'd have to think on that one a bit harder.  There have definitely been decent IPs that you THINK would translate well into MMOs that certainly have NOT. But I'm sure all the bad ideas aren't used up...yet.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

This MMO would suck A$$

Huge playfield but there is no fast travel AND it costs money. Planes are fast - a couple hours to other zones but $$, trains, cars, less expensive but slower, etc.

Only three classes, poor, middle, and rich. And you DON'T get to pick your class. Changing classes, although advertized even on the retail box as a big component of the game, is nearly impossible.

You start out with a ton of gold if you roll rich toon and have a lot of character customization options even can see a plastic surgeon. If poor you can even roll a toon with a deformity and you are just stuck with it.

If poor, you start with no gold and you have to farm mats for around 40 hours a week just to afford gear and food. If rich, you only need farm mats if you want to outfit your pets, which are basically only lap dogs that provide charisma buffs (except they provide debuffs around poor toons).

Its not all bad for the poor classes though. While all classes can use guns, they are actually much cheaper for poor classes. Also rich classes really can’t use them well and there is random chance of friendly fire and shooting yourself in the foot. Also poor classes get a huge buff to crafting. Rich make natural trader sub-classes though as they getting advantages on the market (with the exception for guns) and can buy low and sell high.

When you roll a character, you are placed into a guild controlled zone, called countries, each guild zone has different and changing PvP rules. Also flagged rules change depending on your race, which you don’t get to pick.

1 toon per server

Like many FPS titles, you can one-shot someone, even if they have many levels and better gear than you.

Perma Death

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

• ruonimruonim Member Posts: 251

Originally posted by girlgeek

I'm a bit unclear here.  So you want us to say what we think is the worst EXISTING MMO idea....or do you want us to invent one of our OWN?

Here are a few that I think are among the worst EXISTING MMO ideas:

Only two player factions

Pulling PvP out of the world level and essentially cramming it into battlegrounds and scenarios instead of just making a PvP system that has rules, risks, and reward. Sure...it took less effort...but was, imo, damaging to the immersion of game worlds.

Crafting that is an overly simplistic "push one button....poof" mechanic.

Cross server grouping.

Global chat

Auto targetting.

If I had to INVENT a "worst MMO idea," I think it would be:

Just give everyone max level characters with all purdy purplez/epics/mythics (whatever you want to call them) and all their spells and upgrades, allow them to place just their AAs or talent points or skills or w/e and let that BE their customization, because after all....the only thing anyone wants to play in an MMO any more is "end game," so let's meet the customer desire.  Let's just make it like CS Source, basically, where you just log in and immediately start fighting....except let's let people wear pretty armor and use glowy weapons and let's just make the game START there, because....you know....the rest of the game is just a tutorial for "end game" any way, right?  (sarcasm)

Sad thing is....that will probably happen eventually. 

Oh...and if you meant worst IP for an MMO?  Hmm....I'd have to think on that one a bit harder.  There have definitely been decent IPs that you THINK would translate well into MMOs that certainly have NOT. But I'm sure all the bad ideas aren't used up...yet.

it sounds loke guild wars :D,Which is one of best games curently :D

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Originally posted by ruonim

...clipped for space, because I don't know how to NOT type a novel.....

Okay now that....is depressing. :(   I think I just don't enjoy the same things in MMOs that most of the newer players do.  I enjoy SOME of the same things, but I see more and more a divide in there between what I like....and what other, possibly newer to the genre players, like.

I guess "to each their own, said the old lady as she kissed the cow," applies here, huh?  (I had a friend in high school that used to say that a lot...I have no idea where she got that phrase, but....it kinda makes me giggle and wanna puke all at the same time. heh)

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

Okay now that....is depressing. :(   I think I just don't enjoy the same things in MMOs that most of the newer players do.  I enjoy SOME of the same things, but I see more and more a divide in there between what I like....and what other, possibly newer to the genre players, like.

I guess "to each their own, said the old lady as she kissed the cow," applies here, huh?  (I had a friend in high school that used to say that a lot...I have no idea where she got that phrase, but....it kinda makes me giggle and wanna puke all at the same time. heh)

Well, Guild Wars isn't marketed as an MMO, and doesn't have a monthly fee, which is why it gets away with having that system. What do they  call it, a CORPG or something?

• JazqaJazqa Member Posts: 465

Originally posted by Scottc

World of Warcraft!

qft

• CacaphonyCacaphony Member Posts: 738

Well, Guild Wars isn't marketed as an MMO, and doesn't have a monthly fee, which is why it gets away with having that system. What do they  call it, a CORPG or something?

You are right.

From the Guild Wars FAQ page:

Rather than labeling Guild Wars an MMORPG, we prefer to call it a CORPG (Competitive Online Role-Playing Game).

http://www.guildwars.com/products/guildwars/features/default.php

• fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240

Aye, the divide gets bigger with each generation. What was fun for one becomes tedious for another. Exploration to one person becomes Unneeded Travel Time Sink to someone else. And whats left that both people can agree on gets thinner and thinner as more and more new blood comes into the mix.

As for that saying, never heard that one before. My favorite was always [ "I see..." said the blind man to the deaf dog while peeing into the wind. "It's all coming back to me now" ]...

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• ruonimruonim Member Posts: 251

Originally posted by Cacaphony

You are right.

Rather than labeling Guild Wars an MMORPG, we prefer to call it a CORPG (Competitive Online Role-Playing Game).

Then what is star trek online? they call it mmo and are much heavier isntanced than guild wars. With less content.And same things over and over again like laser mk1 mk2 mk10 mk15

Originally posted by Cacaphony

You are right.

Then what is star trek online? they call it mmo and are much heavier isntanced than guild wars. With less content.And same things over and over again like laser mk1 mk2 mk10 mk15

Which is why STO didn't do so well. It tried to sell itself as an MMO and people called BS.