Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I hate Metacritic & GameRankings.com!

Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

These sites are the devil.

Anyone that uses these sites to judge whether a game is worthy of purchase is a complete lemming.

Im so tired of these sites and how they average reviews.

They take the most obscure review sites filled with biased Ex forum poster haters and put them side by side with credible critics.

I've recently purchased Nier, Dead to Rights: Ret and the new Splinter Cell.

I am loving these games right now but when I look at the crappy review score averaging sites you would think they all suck ass.

Seriously dont they realize how much harm thier doing to these games?

Think anyone is going to pick up a awesome game like Nier with a averaged 64% rating? or D2R:R with a low 70% score?

These games are dead before they release because these sites take these pathetic reviewers that are no better than the normal joe shmoes that post on these forums (basic players). Their overlly critical and god forbit a new game borrows any gameplay features from a previous title they have a heart attack.

Man... These sites piss me off so much. With such a low rating for Nier this wonderful game doesnt have a chance in hell at a sequel.

Arrghh...

Playing: Rift, LotRO
Waiting on: GW2, BP

Comments

• Originally posted by Rockgod99

These sites are the devil.

Anyone that uses these sites to judge whether a game is worthy of purchase is a complete lemming.

Im so tired of these sites and how they average reviews.

They take the most obscure review sites filled with biased Ex forum poster haters and put them side by side with credible critics.

I've recently purchased Nier, Dead to Rights: Ret and the new Splinter Cell.

I am loving these games right now but when I look at the crappy review score averaging sites you would think they all suck ass.

Seriously dont they realize how much harm thier doing to these games?

Think anyone is going to pick up a awesome game like Nier with a averaged 64% rating? or D2R:R with a low 70% score?

These games are dead before they release because these sites take these pathetic reviewers that are no better than the normal joe shmoes that post on these forums (basic players). Their overlly critical and god forbit a new game borrows any gameplay features from a previous title they have a heart attack.

Man... These sites piss me off so much. With such a low rating for Nier this wonderful game doesnt have a chance in hell at a sequel.

Arrghh...

It’s fair to say that the founders of Metacritic never foresaw it generating the attention it has attracted.? ?Intended as a way of seeing at a glance whether a game was worth buying,? ?it’s now used as a measure of game quality by the largest publishers,? ?developers and retailers.?

But metacritic is a great indication of how good or bad a game may be.Developers can't please everyone but they will have to produce some top quality games to get them scores up because everybody is watching. No pressure!

Thanks God for that.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

Word of mouth always trumps what critics have to say.  Has always been that way and with the amount of traffic thanks to the internet you can bet what critics think means less now than it ever did.

Critic's opinions have never mattered compared to what viewers or gamers think.  If critics opinions actually mattered than movies like Star Wars would have never become a franchise.

If a game is truly deemed worthwhile by the majority it will do well regardless how critics judge it.  Same the opposite way too. 

It's as true for video games as it is for movies. 

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• CacaphonyCacaphony Member Posts: 738

The most important review of a game is your own.  If you listen to what others say, chances are you loose out on a gameing expierence you might have other wise highly enjoyed.  I like seeing what others have to say about things, but in the end... I could really care less.  They dont determine whats a good gaming expierence for me... I do.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

Originally posted by Cacaphony

The most important review of a game is your own.  If you listen to what others say, chances are you loose out on a gameing expierence you might have other wise highly enjoyed.  I like seeing what others have to say about things, but in the end... I could really care less.  They dont determine whats a good gaming expierence for me... I do.

People like me that write reviews only try to give a player some ideal of what the game is actually like from our own experience and point of view.   Sure  I can advise the reader whether or not I feel a game is worth it to buy it, but in the end the only person the reader should ever listen to is themselves.

• gandalesgandales Member UncommonPosts: 472

Originally posted by Teala

People like me that write reviews only try to give a player some ideal of what the game is actually like from our own experience and point of view.   Sure  I can advise the reader whether or not I feel a game is worth it to buy it, but in the end the only person the reader should ever listen to is themselves.

The problem with some reviewers and reviews is that they are too opinionated, and bias according the reviewer personal tastes. That's a huge mistake since there are a variety of tastes, from casuals to hardcore, from genres, etc. Passion should be out of reviews, stating facts about feature performance. There is no ultimate truth, there are people who love windows minigames over the most complex mmo. Reviews are not to convince but to guide the person to know if the game is for them or not. It is also bad that somebody never try a game that could have been his favorite game ever because some reviewer describe it as a piece garbage.

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

Originally posted by gandales

Originally posted by Teala

The problem with some reviewers and reviews is that they are too opinionated, and bias according the reviewer personal tastes. That's a huge mistake since there are a variety of tastes, from casuals to hardcore, from genres, etc. Passion should be out of reviews, stating facts about feature performance. There is no ultimate truth, there are people who love windows minigames over the most complex mmo. Reviews are not to convince but to guide the person to know if the game is for them or not. It is also bad that somebody never try a game that could have been his favorite game ever because some reviewer describe it as a piece garbage.

Yep!

Just take a look at the reviewing sites they use to average out scores.

These sites are so busch league they read more like a forum hater or fanboi.

That's not what people want out of reviewers. 

These reviewers slam games for borrowing features from other games without giving them much of a chance.

Do we really need to put every game up against God of War, Gears, uncharted or Halo?

Just check out some of the reviews for Dead to rights for me. The biggest complaint is the game is a basic shooter. So it deserves a low score because it doesnt feature some original gimmick?

I just don't get these reviewers these days. it's like all the bad reviews for Dante's inferno and Darksiders.

They were too much like God of war yet God of war 3 was a complete rip of the previous games in the series and gets amazing scores lol!

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

Ahh and once again a site full of mentally retarded chimps (eurogamer) does it again and just gave an amazing game (alan Wake) a 7/10.

I've been playing this game for over a month due to strong ties with a few of the people that developed the game and all the other reviewers giving this game a 9 are on the money.

Eurogamer is giving the game shit because the main character isnt athletic enough and the game is too story driven!!! loL!

Sounds like something a forum nothing would say isnt it?

• Its no wonder why Client Hocking are leaving Ubisoft. He was the brain behind Splinter Cell, Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory og and of cause FarCry 2. Splint Cell is really a bad game and its a shame that he manage to ruin the FarCry series before he got fired.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

They just gather up reviews, not like they give them out themselves.

Though not agreeing with the scores is common, reading multiple reviews does usually give at least an idea on whether you will like a game or not.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092

I have found that my taste mimic the general score. If a game rates below a 7.0 its almost guaranteed I won't like it. Everyone is different, though. There are a lot of 9.0 and 9.5 games I didn't like.