Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Really Hate to Give Up

HakiemHakiem Member Posts: 35

I really hate to give up or admit defeat or admit my mistakes.  When I came across Alganon back in October of 2009, I thought to myself, oh no another David Allen MMORPG.  But then I got on to the forums and started to see the community being built and the game ideas being presented and I plunged in anyways.  I bought 5 clients back when they were about 2x's what the client is today.  I bought 5 one year subs as I thought the immortal contest was a cool idea and every games needs a NPC storyteller in it. (If I could kill off Ralf,that other guy in Asheran I would.)

So now we're at 2.0 with a new UI - Instances - better Network - etc - etc.

But I'm level 40 on 4 characters and I have nothing to do.  As a solo player it just isn't much fun.

So I guess I"ll admit my failure as a player of Alganon and move along.  I'm sure that'll make D.S. happy.  One less whinner customer to deal with.

Perhaps 3.0 will come out by years end and I'll give it another go round...but probably not.

Just Me,

Tim

If rainbows only come out in the rain then I would like it to rain at least once a day.

Comments

• zeowyrmzeowyrm Member Posts: 746

Originally posted by Hakiem

I really hate to give up or admit defeat or admit my mistakes.  When I came across Alganon back in October of 2009, I thought to myself, oh no another David Allen MMORPG.  But then I got on to the forums and started to see the community being built and the game ideas being presented and I plunged in anyways.  I bought 5 clients back when they were about 2x's what the client is today.  I bought 5 one year subs as I thought the immortal contest was a cool idea and every games needs a NPC storyteller in it. (If I could kill off Ralf,that other guy in Asheran I would.)

So now we're at 2.0 with a new UI - Instances - better Network - etc - etc.

But I'm level 40 on 4 characters and I have nothing to do.  As a solo player it just isn't much fun.

So I guess I"ll admit my failure as a player of Alganon and move along.  I'm sure that'll make D.S. happy.  One less whinner customer to deal with.

Perhaps 3.0 will come out by years end and I'll give it another go round...but probably not.

Just Me,

Tim

Honestly, and I'm truly not being sarcastic here, that is too bad.  You've always struck me as hopeful about the game, and seemed a voice of reason.  Was kinda looking forward to your final take on 2.0.  Not that I had an intention of buying, for reasons I don't need to get into.  Ultimately, I figured if anyone could get me to buy the game, it'd be you.  Hope you find what you're seeking.

• ElmarollyElmarolly Member Posts: 60

Hakiem has been one of the strongest community members. Along with Wraithbone or is it Wraithone on here. Both of these amazing community members are beyond words for being mature respectful and funny gamers.

You are right Hakiem could write a post that would make a blind person play Alganon. Sad that he might leave Alganon. But look for the man in Aerrevan.

I feel obligated to give the last few great Devs that are there more time to get people to play the game. But I have my doubts that even they can.

Take care all

• Cosmonaut79Cosmonaut79 Member UncommonPosts: 175

That's the beauty of a game you don't have to pay a subscription for.  You don't have to quit.

• SynthetickSynthetick Member Posts: 977

There's much better titles out there, Hakiem. And quite a few of the titles launching soon look extremely promising. I was very, very hopeful throughout the beta and the soft-launch(es), but it just didn't come together, and now it's too late. I honestly haven't even bothered with the 2.0 client, I just don't see a need to. Especially with the cash shop. That alone sealed the deal for me.

You can't have a "deep" MMORPG like Alganon claims to be, with the all of their efforts for character advancement and customization, the item shop is nothing but a contradiction to what the game was intended to be. They could polish it up, fix all the bugs, and it still isn't the game that got me interested. It's just another shallow cash shop, pay to advance title. And while some people may be OK with that, I'm not. All the drawing points to the game are now mute. 

Hopefully see you in some future titles, though.

• ksmith4378ksmith4378 Member UncommonPosts: 20

Have you even looked at what's offered in the cash shop?   The cash shop is in no way a 'pay to advance' typical affair;  the game still plays EXACTLY as it did before the cash shop and it is 100% not necessary to enjoy the game.

You don't level slower than you did before, you don't get less items, or anything else thus it can 100% be ignored.  It offers early access to mounts so that you don't have to wait, it offers potions to make things a bit easier if you don't want to spend as much time catching up to your buddy, it offers a pack of level appropriate gear that's in no way better than what you can easily find in game at those levels, etc.

• TyrranosaurTyrranosaur Member UncommonPosts: 284

Quit posts like this leave me confused, because it suggests that the individual actually had no fun or enjoyment for the duration that they played the game....I mean, I can either infer from this that you played through frustration and hopes that it would get better for a year and it didn't, or that you had a blast for a year until you ran out of stuff to do, and are now disappointed that new content is not yet forthcoming.

If it's the former, then I would worry about someone who put such an investment in on a promise of enjoyment later. If it's the latter, then I would think the post would be more along the lines of, "I had a blast for this period, but looks like I need to wait for 3.0 (or whatever)."

I also keep forgetting that for many people, they don't just want to enjoy something for a few months or a year, they want to enjoy it in to perpetuity....I am not one of those people; I expect most games to garner a few months of fun at most; I'm impressed with the ones that last past that point.

Anyway, I just started Alganon, and as someone who expects to play and enjoy this game for a few months, would it be remiss of me to conclude that this quit experience should suggest that I will not enjoy it for those few months and should stop now, or should I just take this for what it is: someone who over invested their time, money and expectations in to what is for all practical purposes just one more interesting game with a limited scope?

Current MMOs: Rift, GW2, Defiance
    Blog: http://realmsofchirak.blogspot.com (old school tabletop gaming and more)

• zeowyrmzeowyrm Member Posts: 746

Originally posted by Tyrranosaur

Quit posts like this leave me confused, because it suggests that the individual actually had no fun or enjoyment for the duration that they played the game....I mean, I can either infer from this that you played through frustration and hopes that it would get better for a year and it didn't, or that you had a blast for a year until you ran out of stuff to do, and are now disappointed that new content is not yet forthcoming.

If it's the former, then I would worry about someone who put such an investment in on a promise of enjoyment later. If it's the latter, then I would think the post would be more along the lines of, "I had a blast for this period, but looks like I need to wait for 3.0 (or whatever)."

I also keep forgetting that for many people, they don't just want to enjoy something for a few months or a year, they want to enjoy it in to perpetuity....I am not one of those people; I expect most games to garner a few months of fun at most; I'm impressed with the ones that last past that point.

Anyway, I just started Alganon, and as someone who expects to play and enjoy this game for a few months, would it be remiss of me to conclude that this quit experience should suggest that I will not enjoy it for those few months and should stop now, or should I just take this for what it is: someone who over invested their time, money and expectations in to what is for all practical purposes just one more interesting game with a limited scope?

1) You clearly have no idea who Tim was as far as the prestige he had in the Alganon community

2) You also have not been around during the Dr. Smart forum flames/purges on the official Alganon boards.  Plagiarism aside, do a search on these boards for DSmart's posts, and you will find most of them to have been [mod edit] or outright deleted.  The man is an ass and has driven most of the original loyal community out of the game.  Yes there are newcomers who are starting to play.  Yes, there are people who don't give a shit about how much of a douchebag Dr. Smart is.  But the fact remains, he destroyed the community that did exist in Alganon before he took over.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Originally posted by Elmarolly

Hakiem has been one of the strongest community members. Along with Wraithbone or is it Wraithone on here. Both of these amazing community members are beyond words for being mature respectful and funny gamers.

You are right Hakiem could write a post that would make a blind person play Alganon. Sad that he might leave Alganon. But look for the man in Aerrevan.

I feel obligated to give the last few great Devs that are there more time to get people to play the game. But I have my doubts that even they can.

Take care all

Wraithone here(Wraithblade there).  Hakiem has gone even further than I have in supporting the game and hoping for the best. They have been a HUGE asset to the community for a long time.  Its too bad that things turned out they way they have.  I have a level 50 soldier, and just don't have the heart to start over again in another class(only alt is a level 5 archer that I had before this all exploded).

Another VERY important part of the community was Tork. They were almost single handedly responsible for shaping the old community into the fine one that existed(before Mr Smart threw it all away with his abusive antics).  I hope one of the major companies grabs them and makes then head CM. In my many years of gaming I've not seen any better example of what a professional CM should be than Tork. 

Good luck to you all.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."

Originally posted by Tyrranosaur

No, by all means give the game a fair try(the few remaining QoL techs deserve at least that much).  But keep in mind that games like this tend to be mid to long range commitments(time and effort invested) and in all honesty I can't see this game having much of a future.  If they can turn it around and stay in business, more power to them. But its not looking good at this point.

• SeffrenSeffren Member Posts: 743

I bought 5 clients back when they were about 2x's what the client is today.  I bought 5 one year subs as I thought the immortal contest was a cool idea ...

Why did you buy 5 copies of the game ... and why 5 subs?

For friends, familly, ... ?

I.

Originally posted by Seffren

I bought 5 clients back when they were about 2x's what the client is today.  I bought 5 one year subs as I thought the immortal contest was a cool idea ...

I.

I suspect to support QoL. Many of us REALLY wanted the game to make it.  The community was that good. To me it was always about the community, much more than the game.

• SeffrenSeffren Member Posts: 743

Originally posted by Wraithone

I.

I suspect to support QoL. Many of us REALLY wanted the game to make it.  The community was that good. To me it was always about the community, much more than the game.

I see, admirable but weird.

I thought the investors where the ones "supporting" with money ... Does this mean Hakiem gets a return on investement somehow (except being able to play the game ofcourse).

I.

Originally posted by Wraithone

I.

I see, admirable but weird.

I thought the investors where the ones "supporting" with money ... Does this mean Hakiem gets a return on investement somehow (except being able to play the game ofcourse).

I.

Well... They are supposed to get their money back. I've no idea if they did or not.

• IgorchtIgorcht Member UncommonPosts: 82

I've been not-so-silently watching the game from the shadows. I was a huge detractor of Alganon since shortly after the beginning; I was willing to give Daivd Allen a chance, since he was the mind behind Horizons, which in its conceptual stages, would've been the most incredible game ever. However, it contained pretty much nothing that was promised. I read quite a bit about this incident on the internet, which made it sound like it wasn't DA's fault, so I figured I'd give Alganon a chance... but as time went on, it became clear he was only interested in imitating WoW, claiming it was what gamers wanted and all that. I tried it in beta, and I qutie honestly could see no reason to pay $40 for the game and $15/month, when I could play WoW, which is pretty much exactly the same game but a million times better.

I was completely unsurprised that Allen got axed and was replaced. I was unfamiliar with Derek Smart. I learned more about him, but was willing to give him a chance anyway. Unfortunately, it seems he's not really capable of saving this sinking ship, and in fact has probably punched a few more gaping holes into it, what with his evidently rather poor relationship with the community.

So as Alganon dies a slow, gruesome death, I cackle with delight, though I do honestly feel bad for the people who liked the game. It's not your fault QoL traded a talentless hack for an not-as-talentless-but-still-not-great asshat. May you find a new game that you enjoy.

"I am the weapon that strikes/In the hearts of men I thrive/Feeding their fear with lies/I will devour/I will divide/I am the god of hellfire/inside every man there lives a liar/before their gods they cower/I will divide/I will devour" - "Divide Devour" by Iced Earth