Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wy I think Guild Wars 2 will be the best MMO yet.

2»

Comments

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

it certanly looks good but it all depends on how smooth, fluid, responsive and lagless the combat is. everything else looks amazing.

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

Originally posted by Hyanmen

Originally posted by Drachasor

They'll lose to Bioware as they will also be epic.  I don't know about Arenanet, but they have the nice "respond to what is happening" thing rather than "click on the guy to find out what is happening" mechanic.  But I think we are talking about the difference between a 4/5 star movie and a 5/5 star movie.  Both are really good.

Bioware hasn't got the 8 years of experience though. 

I agre with Hyanmen here, biowoare has done nothing in the mmo genre to get any type of praise what-so-ever. I am not saying they cant do it, but until they do, bioware has no right to be mentioned in the same breath as arenanet or SE.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• renzolrenzol Member Posts: 29

I personally cant wait for GW2 and recently started playing GW again after a fairly long break. On the Bioware subject, didn't Square enix have no previous knowledge in the MMO industry before making FFXI? Dont get me wrong in no way am i taking a shot at SE here as the FF series in whole are by far my favourite series of games.  

But yeah im looking forward to all 3 of the games that have been discussed here and im very confident that they all will do well when they are released. 

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Shadewalker

Originally posted by yayitsandy

True but Bioware do have a great track record in single player games . While StarWars Kotor may suffer the same fate as many of the games you speak of , the companys reputation for producing quality products suggests  otherwise . Either way you look at it the 2011-2012 period looks like it will be very promicing for the mmo genre .

It's certainly true that Bioware have a great track record for single player games, but they have no experience at all of making multiplayer games that are intended to be played beyond a few weeks. They also have no experience of running servers and very little experience in billing and customer support.

However, I'm not claiming that SW:TOR won't be a good game, I'm saying it's far too early to say. That is, frankly, indisputable. The fact that they're still a year off launching the game is a clear sign that it's nowhere near finished yet, and there are some signs that the hype is beginning to run out of steam.

NWN? Secondly Bioware put together an MMO studio made up of devs from UO and Shadowbane to SWG and to the present, these guys working with Bioware have plenty of MMO experience.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• DrachasorDrachasor Member Posts: 2,678

Originally posted by toddze

Originally posted by Hyanmen

They'll lose to Bioware as they will also be epic.  I don't know about Arenanet, but they have the nice "respond to what is happening" thing rather than "click on the guy to find out what is happening" mechanic.  But I think we are talking about the difference between a 4/5 star movie and a 5/5 star movie.  Both are really good.

Bioware hasn't got the 8 years of experience though. 

I agre with Hyanmen here, biowoare has done nothing in the mmo genre to get any type of praise what-so-ever. I am not saying they cant do it, but until they do, bioware has no right to be mentioned in the same breath as arenanet or SE.

I was talking about story quality.  You're venturing into a different topic.

No company really has much experience with the kind of server insanity and such an MMO makes the first time they go about it.  In any case, like I believe I said earlier, Bioware does have the Mythic people to provide support and help, so it isn't like they are going in totally blind.  Frankly, a lot of companies did really well with their first MMOs despite little or no experience, so I don't see how this is supposedly such a big stumbling block.  Good games are a lot more about a good company culture, programmers, money, etc, than they are necessarily about what people have already done as they can always learn to do more.  Anyhow, on a lot of levels I find the "they've never done it before" argument to not hold much water at all.

• CacaphonyCacaphony Member Posts: 738

From what I have read and from the screenshots Ive seen, Guild Wars 2 does look like it has potential to be great.  I wasnt goo goo ga ga over Guild Wars, but in looking forward to Guild Wars 2.

• ShadewalkerShadewalker Member Posts: 299

NWN is in a totally different league to an MMO,and is in any event mostly played offline. Besides, anyone wanting to lavish praise on Bioware wouldn't want to draw attention to NWN 2......

Bioware does have the Mythic people to provide support and help, so it isn't like they are going in totally blind.

Just with both eyes gouged out, unless you're talking about a different Mythic to the one the rest of us know image!

NWN is in a totally different league to an MMO,and is in any event mostly played offline. Besides, anyone wanting to lavish praise on Bioware wouldn't want to draw attention to NWN 2......

They didn't make NWN2.  Do a little research.

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

NWN2 was made by Obsidian Entertainment.

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056

Just with both eyes gouged out, unless you're talking about a different Mythic to the one the rest of us know image!

For sure. The UI and the art are the only areas anyone from Mythic should be working on.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

Bioware does have the Mythic people to provide support and help, so it isn't like they are going in totally blind.

Mythic has shown itself capable of making good games.  Warhammer sucked because it was rushed.  TOR has a much longer development time (over 5 years at the point of release) and won't have that problem.  MMOs don't magically suck, you can look at how it is developed and tested and find reasons for failure.

Originally posted by MMO_Doubter

For sure. The UI and the art are the only areas anyone from Mythic should be working on.

My understanding is that they were not bad at server code, though perhaps that's less of an issue since Bioware is using the Hero Engine.

Mostly played offline? Not in my experience.

User-made PW servers FTW. Best part of the game.

I've been thinking a bit lately about an NWN MMORPG, and if it truly incorporated user-content, it could be a beautiful thing, indeed.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

No company really has much experience with the kind of server insanity and such an MMO makes the first time they go about it.  In any case, like I believe I said earlier, Bioware does have the Mythic people to provide support and help, so it isn't like they are going in totally blind.  Frankly, a lot of companies did really well with their first MMOs despite little or no experience, so I don't see how this is supposedly such a big stumbling block.  Good games are a lot more about a good company culture, programmers, money, etc, than they are necessarily about what people have already done as they can always learn to do more.  Anyhow, on a lot of levels I find the "they've never done it before" argument to not hold much water at all.

The "Mythic's people might sink it." argument holds plenty of water, though.

• CacaphonyCacaphony Member Posts: 738

I've been thinking a bit lately about an NWN MMORPG, and if it truly incorporated user-content, it could be a beautiful thing, indeed.

Ive heard rumor that Cryptic is or is going to develop an NWN MMO.  I hope this rumor turns out to be false.

The "Mythic's people might sink it." argument holds plenty of water, though.

My view is that a lot of that has to do with how the company is set up.  If the company allows crap to go out the door, then you will sometimes or often get crap even with good devs.  Bioware clearly doesn't have this problem.  I also consider Mythic to have had some good devs and innovative ideas.  True, those ideas were very poorly implemented in Warhammer, but that's a problem with how Mythic is run, not with the ideas.  Take some of those same people and same ideas and process them Bioware-style, and you'll have a much better outcome.

I think this is pretty inline with how things work, given that good companies like Bioware have expanded or grown yet still put out quality products left and right.

Mostly played offline? Not in my experience.

User-made PW servers FTW. Best part of the game.

What have user-made PW servers got to do with SW:TOR? NWN gave no significant experience to Bioware in terms of running MMO servers.

In relation to my other earlier point, my apologies, Obsidian did indeed make NWN2 although Bioware were still associated with the title and presumably sanctioned it, as they're included in the credits.

• kjames423kjames423 Member Posts: 47

first, off this is starting to get fairly off-topic. just saying.

second, i think it will be one of the best games next year simply because most people are looking for some kind of a revolution to the MMO industry.

third, cut GW1 some slack it was arenanet's first game.

Past: Can never go back to Wow.
    Present: Nothing interesting out.
    Future: Looking forward to GW2.