Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wy I think Guild Wars 2 will be the best MMO yet.

KareshKaresh Member UncommonPosts: 242

Hey everyone, I've been waiting for what seems like forever for them to release more info on Guild Wars 2. It seems like they finally started releasing some. Including a few short videos, some articles, as well as some other stuff. From the first time i heard about GW2, I was pretty sure it would be the MMO I finally stick with. As they release more and more info, I'm given that same feeling. Of course I guess I won't know for sure until it's released. The last article I read gave a ton of info, and I thought I'd share it with whoever reads this post. The article is way too big for me to even try explaining it all, so I decided to give the link to the article, which is located in ArenaNet's recently released blog.

so here it is, tell me what you think of it    http://www.arena.net/blog/guild-wars-2-design-manifesto

Comments

• gothagotha Member UncommonPosts: 1,074

I think it has a lot of potencial.  Where they say they are gonna make it more MMO like they also seem to be sticking to their guns  (combat system ect. ect.).  As long as they do not try and get over grandiose and do not try and fix what is not broken i think they will be good.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Guild Wars 2 and FFXIV will be my favorite mmos because the companies who make those games carve their own path. They don't copy anyone's ideas and both ArenaNet and Square Enix make great games. Also the lore in both games are one of the best.

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

I wouldn't say best MMO, but certainly has potential to be the best f2p MMO. 

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • SweetZoidSweetZoid Member Posts: 437

Originally posted by Hyanmen

Its B2P = buy to play and a game doesnt get worse jsut because it dont have a subscription fee,they will release expansions,bonus mission packs,costumes and such.

• DrachasorDrachasor Member Posts: 2,678

Originally posted by SaintViktor

Guild Wars 2 and FFXIV will be my favorite mmos because the companies who make those games carve their own path. They don't copy anyone's ideas and both ArenaNet and Square Enix make great games. Also the lore in both games are one of the best.

Bioware is much the same.

Given that Bioware hasn't said a lot about the exact mechanics of TOR, but the general philosophy seems very similar in a lot of respects to Arenanet, I'm interested in seeing just how closely the mechanics mimic each other.  Story stuff is clearly very similar.  Now the question is how will group stuff in the "overworld" be similar...remember that the originators of zone cooperation (WH devs) are there as advisors and such to the ToR team.

I will say GW2 is very close to eclipsing my interest in FFXIV.  Right now FFXIV has selectable difficulties and interesting combat mechanics going for it.  Given that GW2 AND TOR will have interactive story, they definitely beat SE, imho.

I know this though, GW2 will be getting money from me just because they don't have a sub fee.  As such in a real way they don't compete with other MMOs except for time.  I don't know what I'll do about FFXIV or ToR...I think I'd like to play both of those too.  HArd calls.

In any case, this next year we should finally see some innovation and advancement of the genre by 3 developers who don't release rushed crap.  It'll be good when we have some real competition in the market.  

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

GW2 already has my money and I'm very confident that it's gonna sell like crazy, given it's subscription-less nature. Hell, the fact GW is still strong is a testament in it's own right. Only worry I have is this whole "skills will be simpler and easier to understand" which could basically translate into dumbing it down. But whne I take a look at possible synergies between various skills... wow.

In any case, it's gonna sell like crazy.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Originally posted by Drachasor

Originally posted by SaintViktor

Bioware is much the same.

Given that Bioware hasn't said a lot about the exact mechanics of TOR, but the general philosophy seems very similar in a lot of respects to Arenanet, I'm interested in seeing just how closely the mechanics mimic each other.  Story stuff is clearly very similar.  Now the question is how will group stuff in the "overworld" be similar...remember that the originators of zone cooperation (WH devs) are there as advisors and such to the ToR team.

I will say GW2 is very close to eclipsing my interest in FFXIV.  Right now FFXIV has selectable difficulties and interesting combat mechanics going for it.  Given that GW2 AND TOR will have interactive story, they definitely beat SE, imho.

I know this though, GW2 will be getting money from me just because they don't have a sub fee.  As such in a real way they don't compete with other MMOs except for time.  I don't know what I'll do about FFXIV or ToR...I think I'd like to play both of those too.  HArd calls.

In any case, this next year we should finally see some innovation and advancement of the genre by 3 developers who don't release rushed crap.  It'll be good when we have some real competition in the market.  

Yeah Bioware is definitely in those who make a difference for the better but they really need to start sharing how game mechanics is going to work instead of revealing all the planets. I hope FFXIV releases way before GW2 because if I have to make a choice then GW2 gets the nod without question.

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

I'm definitely planning to try out SWTOR. I will be a Jedi Consolar Healer.

I dont like the tone of the reports about this class too much though. It seems that Vanguard will stay the only game where Healers truely had a purpose beyond stupid healbot. Grmpf.

If I will try GW2 or not, we'll see. GW1 certainly was a disappointment for me. It was just boring. Awfully simple crafting, my class (Mesmer) plainly sucked big time in PvE, and most of the game was pointless PvP about nothing at all.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

Originally posted by SweetZoid

Its B2P = buy to play and a game doesnt get worse jsut because it dont have a subscription fee,they will release expansions,bonus mission packs,costumes and such.

No, it's a F2P.  You can't change reality or create your own just to defend something.  Every MMO is 'buy to play', so it doesn't apply.

And yes, F2P games generally are not up to the quelity of most P2P games.  That is the reality.  That being said, I do acknowledge that Guild Wars was and is one of the best games without a subscription.  I didn't read the article, but I'm sure the GW2 will be just as good as the original.  I could never get into the instancing, but it was fun for a while.

Originally posted by Methos12

GW2 already has my money and I'm very confident that it's gonna sell like crazy, given it's subscription-less nature. Hell, the fact GW is still strong is a testament in it's own right. Only worry I have is this whole "skills will be simpler and easier to understand" which could basically translate into dumbing it down. But whne I take a look at possible synergies between various skills... wow.

In any case, it's gonna sell like crazy.

That's not quite what they said about skills.  They did say interactions will be easier to understand, but they said this will be because the interactions are OBVIOUS.  Arrows going through a flaming wall will be lit on fire, etc.  This is a good thing.  Mechanics will be obvious visually and less subtle, but I don't think anything is wrong with that.

Beyond all that, simple mechanics doesn't mean a simple game.  Chess has very simple rules for example.  Arenanet is definitely going for supporting some level of Emergent Gameplay where combos they never imagined get made and used as players discover them.  That's good stuff.

Originally posted by Adamantine

I'm definitely planning to try out SWTOR. I will be a Jedi Consolar Healer.

I dont like the tone of the reports about this class too much though. It seems that Vanguard will stay the only game where Healers truely had a purpose beyond stupid healbot. Grmpf.

Eh, you will always being doing damage even if you go the healer route as a Consular.  You have to use your lightsaber after all.  They've talked frequently (without specifics) about how healing will be different in ToR, and given that you can do stuff without healers, I imagine there will be no healbots.  Spamming heals is such a lore-killer that I don't think that will be an option at all and everything they've said jives with that view.  We're getting a bit off-topic though.

I'd like to just clarify, that SE won't lose to these games in the story department at least. It's not interactive, but it will be epic. SE has 8 years of MMO storytelling behind their backs, which can't be overlooked. The intro cutscene (the tutorial one) is already top-notch.

If somebody wants to take a look, send me a PM.

I'd like to just clarify, that SE won't lose to these games in the story department at least. It's not interactive, but it will be epic. SE has 8 years of MMO storytelling behind their backs, which can't be overlooked. The intro cutscene (the tutorial one) is already top-notch.

If somebody wants to take a look, send me a PM.

They'll lose to Bioware as they will also be epic.  I don't know about Arenanet, but they have the nice "respond to what is happening" thing rather than "click on the guy to find out what is happening" mechanic.  But I think we are talking about the difference between a 4/5 star movie and a 5/5 star movie.  Both are really good.

• yayitsandyyayitsandy Member Posts: 363

It could be good if it offers a persistant world as rumoured . Who knows non-subsciption based games and p2play patches and expansions could be make the old monthly sub model a thing of the past . If there is ever going to be a game that makes real inroads to WoWs user base I very much doubt it will be a game that has the same payment model . Just what the mmorpg genre needs . Decent games with alternative/competative buisness models . I wish GW2 the best of luck . I'll be playing for certain .

They'll lose to Bioware as they will also be epic.  I don't know about Arenanet, but they have the nice "respond to what is happening" thing rather than "click on the guy to find out what is happening" mechanic.  But I think we are talking about the difference between a 4/5 star movie and a 5/5 star movie.  Both are really good.

Bioware hasn't got the 8 years of experience though. 

• ShadewalkerShadewalker Member Posts: 299

Originally posted by DAS1337

Every MMO is 'buy to play', so it doesn't apply.

Not true at all, some F2P games are also free to download.

As to the original point about Guild Wars 2 going to be the best MMO yet, it shares that distinction with SW:TOR apparently.

The other distinctions it shares with that game are that no-one has seen it, no-one has played it, and no-one has the slightest idea how good it's going to be. Hoping such games are going to be good isn't quite the same thing as predicting they'e going to be good a year before launch when no-one has the remotest idea what they'll turn out like. Ask those who were making similar predictions about Tabula Rasa, Vanguard, WAR, AoC, Aion, CO and STO. 

• BannneBannne Member Posts: 244

Originally posted by SweetZoid

No, it's a F2P.  You can't change reality or create your own just to defend something.  Every MMO is 'buy to play', so it doesn't apply.

And yes, F2P games generally are not up to the quelity of most P2P games.  That is the reality.  That being said, I do acknowledge that Guild Wars was and is one of the best games without a subscription.  I didn't read the article, but I'm sure the GW2 will be just as good as the original.  I could never get into the instancing, but it was fun for a while.

You are delusional to compared GW to a normal FTP mmorpg, it could easily command a sub each month,people would pay it.

AreaNet choose to go the way of B2P but not charge for updates but expansion you still have to pay for,that's not like other FTP mmorpg.

Don't think for one minute that GW2 will not be as developed as SWTOR. GW2 has the potential to be the best of any of the mmorpg coming out next year , that includes SWTOR and WOWC and FFXIV.

Don't be supprised if SWTOR follows the same pattern and i know that APB is doing the same.

The monthly sub is dying, in a couple of years you wont have a monthly sub, AreaNet were just quick to use that system, the other main stream mmorpg are now catching up.

GW2 is not like GW1,it's an open world mmorpg like WOW and LOTRO. You may of not like the first one but 6 million other gamers did.

Originally posted by Shadewalker

Every MMO is 'buy to play', so it doesn't apply.

Not true at all, some F2P games are also free to download.

As to the original point about Guild Wars 2 going to be the best MMO yet, it shares that distinction with SW:TOR apparently.

The other distinctions it shares with that game are that no-one has seen it, no-one has played it, and no-one has the slightest idea how good it's going to be. Hoping such games are going to be good isn't quite the same thing as predicting they'e going to be good a year before launch when no-one has the remotest idea what they'll turn out like. Ask those who were making similar predictions about Tabula Rasa, Vanguard, WAR, AoC, Aion, CO and STO. 

True but Bioware do have a great track record in single player games . While StarWars Kotor may suffer the same fate as many of the games you speak of , the companys reputation for producing quality products suggests  otherwise . Either way you look at it the 2011-2012 period looks like it will be very promicing for the mmo genre .

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

I really wasn't a fan of the first GW's, was fun for a bit but I quickly wore out of it in about 3 months.

But it was certainly creative and different, (and very popular with many folks) so I'll give GW2 a shot as I feel this developer has some creativity still left in them and GW2 could incorporate elements that make me a long term player.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ScalperOneScalperOne Member Posts: 281

I tried Guild Wars and I did not like it at that time. I was too into MMO need to be a seamless world.  I still do not like instancing but I can live with it. I have to say GW 2 has my interest and so does SWTOR...

...I thought I had put MMO's behind me, but I am afraid these two I might buy.

I hope you can jump in GW2 . :P

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Eh, you will always being doing damage even if you go the healer route as a Consular.  [...]  We're getting a bit off-topic though.

Right. Thanks for giving me a bit hope about SWTOR though.

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630

I played GW and while there were some things about it I liked, overall I lost interest in in pretty quick.

But GW2 is looking very promising. I'm following it with interest and will almost surely give it a try.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• ShadewalkerShadewalker Member Posts: 299

Originally posted by yayitsandy

True but Bioware do have a great track record in single player games . While StarWars Kotor may suffer the same fate as many of the games you speak of , the companys reputation for producing quality products suggests  otherwise . Either way you look at it the 2011-2012 period looks like it will be very promicing for the mmo genre .

It's certainly true that Bioware have a great track record for single player games, but they have no experience at all of making multiplayer games that are intended to be played beyond a few weeks. They also have no experience of running servers and very little experience in billing and customer support.

However, I'm not claiming that SW:TOR won't be a good game, I'm saying it's far too early to say. That is, frankly, indisputable. The fact that they're still a year off launching the game is a clear sign that it's nowhere near finished yet, and there are some signs that the hype is beginning to run out of steam.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Bioware itselves has no experience creating mmo'S

But they contracted some people that have that expereince, and bioware developers build the MMO part on these people's ideas.

Nevrtheless, GW2's combat system may exceed SW:TOR's combat system.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)