Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Perhaps my standards are too high.

CephMordredCephMordred Member Posts: 3

One of the first things I do when checking out a game is see what sort of character customization there is. So many games have very limited options. And the few that are superb in character customization either have other problems (Aion, Perfect World), or have quit existing (Phantasy Star Universe).

After all, I want to feel like my character is a unique creation, not just "one of the five types of people in the character creation screen."

But even then, a pretty game with good character customization can still be bad.

Perfect World seems very cash shop dependent.

Aion lags way too much during group pvp.

D&D Online might actually prove decent, but I'm looking for something a little more anime-ish.

Allods seems to be very grind heavy as well as heavily cash shop dependent.

WoW is sort of in between. Character Customization could be better, but I still can create fairly unique characters with it.

There are future games that might suit all my purposes, for instance FF14.

Still, and to try to clarify my point after all that rambling, are my standards too high? If so, how do I learn to love games that don't give me everything I want? It doesn't help that I tend to be very fickle as well.

Comments

• surstromingsurstroming Member UncommonPosts: 151

Originally posted by CephMordred

D&D Online might actually prove decent, but I'm looking for something a little more anime-ish.

UR STANDARDS ARE TOO HIGH!

but I kind aknow how u feel.... I think, in ddo every1 is running in an overall chain/plate mail and none of the armors "shows" enough stuff. in any case this thread isn't going anywhere

• FreddyNoNoseFreddyNoNose Member Posts: 1,558

Originally posted by CephMordred

One of the first things I do when checking out a game is see what sort of character customization there is. So many games have very limited options. And the few that are superb in character customization either have other problems (Aion, Perfect World), or have quit existing (Phantasy Star Universe).

After all, I want to feel like my character is a unique creation, not just "one of the five types of people in the character creation screen."

But even then, a pretty game with good character customization can still be bad.

Perfect World seems very cash shop dependent.

Aion lags way too much during group pvp.

Allods seems to be very grind heavy as well as heavily cash shop dependent.

WoW is sort of in between. Character Customization could be better, but I still can create fairly unique characters with it.

There are future games that might suit all my purposes, for instance FF14.

Still, and to try to clarify my point after all that rambling, are my standards too high? If so, how do I learn to love games that don't give me everything I want? It doesn't help that I tend to be very fickle as well.

Do your standards work for you?  As long as they don't cause you problems and they make you happy, it's good to have standards.

• SwampRobSwampRob Member UncommonPosts: 1,003

If it helps, City of Heroes has amazing customization.   It's very easy to spend an hour or more creating your character's appearance.

• CephMordredCephMordred Member Posts: 3

Actually, I am downloading DDO as we speak, I figure I'll give it a chance. And so far it does look like something I'd like.

I did try City of Heroes, the clothes were good and all but the actual characters didn't. Even WoW characters look better. It may have been acceptable if the game was free, but given how weak I felt and how lower standard the characters were, I decided against it.

But cross your fingers for DDO.

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

People like what they like.

Your standards are fine, hopefully you will find your game.

Goodluck.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• oakthornnoakthornn Member UncommonPosts: 863

I don't believe your standards are to high at all.. In fact, my MMORPG standards are a bit higher than yours, lol..

I've played many MMO's in the last 10 years and the only one that seemed fully complete was the original Everquest.. But many have came out since then that had some nice features but lacked in other areas which bummed me out..

For example, Everquest 2 has by far the best character creation system of any MMORPG I've ever played.. And tha game right now is or was almost as close as the original Everquest in terms of features I love in MMO's, but what ruined that game was how dumbed down it became over the years.. For one, I hate the mentor system. It's beyond ridiculous, cheap, and tooo easy.. It takes away from the overall dungeon experience when you have 2 level 80's mentor down to level 30 and run you through the dungeon in 15 minutes while your just following behind doing nothing at all except for looting.. That's lame..

I don't enjoy playing cookie cutting EEEZZZZ mode MMO's,, not when I actually had to work for everything I received in the original Everquest.. Working hard to achieve your goals makes the experience and my accomplishments that much more,,, exhilerating...

Every other MMORPG that came out after EQ2 was eeezzz mode and catered to dumb people.. Well every mmo except for Vanguard before SOE took over..

It just seems today these game companies are all about making money so they tell the devs to create a game for the larger audience instead of creating a game for the true hardcore inteligent MMORPG gamers...

Rallithon Oakthornn
    (Retired Heirophant of the 60th season)

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

Put more emphasis to what makes the game, you know, a game. 

Gameplay should be the deciding factor. Good character customization is cool and all, but the more developers focus on that kind of thing, the more they ignore actual gameplay- the thing you'll be doing 98,5% of the time.

So, if you see a game with excellent character customization, that can also be a bad thing. You should look for a middleground. 

As with most things in life, you can't have the cake and eat it too.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • CephMordredCephMordred Member Posts: 3

If I am to accept your thesis of being unable to simultaneously possess a cake while in the process of eating it, perhaps it would help if you listed some of your favorite mmos that exemplify your stand, i.e. games that have good gameplay possibly because they don't have good character customization.

• AmbreAmbre Member UncommonPosts: 104

City of Heroes (old) and Champions Online (recent) are definitely from far the best two games I've played in terms of character customization. Not only the costume and appearance, but all that matters to make your character truly unique (power choices and enhancements).

I for one dont like playing a game where my character is just a generic clone of 1/8 or 1/10 of the rest of the server, not only in terms of appearances, but also for skills and talents. So I can understand your point ;)

Check my blog on mmorpg.com.