Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LFMMO for a really crappy computer.

CinduatCinduat Member Posts: 83

So this is more for my friend than me, as I have a decent computer.

He's got a computer with only 900 megs of ram, a processor from 2002 and likely a video card from 03.

I don't actually know the exact specs, those are just what I can remember as sticking out. But he has a shitty computer.

The only MMO I've seen him run on the computer with moderate success is WoW.

He won't be upgrading for at least a few months, we need something to play over the summer, and WoW isn't going to cut it.

So, what MMOs could we play?

I was thinking FFXI, but the trial is gone now(WTF honestly?) so it's a no go...

...the game needs a trial so we can make sure his computer can run it and that both of us have some interest in it.

It is my opinion, that your opinion is incorrect.

Comments

• zeowyrmzeowyrm Member Posts: 746

Comp that old?  Asheron's Call, EQ, maybe, but I doubt it, Guild Wars?

• CinduatCinduat Member Posts: 83

Originally posted by zeowyrm

Ya, he's hoping he'll get a job this summer so he can buy one, doesn't look like it's gonna happen though.

But uh, how is the population in those games and what is the combat like?

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

runescape is packed with player run on almost anything !

Originally posted by drbaltazar

No grouping or guilding.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,181

DAOC

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• zeowyrmzeowyrm Member Posts: 746

Originally posted by Cinduat

Originally posted by zeowyrm

Ya, he's hoping he'll get a job this summer so he can buy one, doesn't look like it's gonna happen though.

But uh, how is the population in those games and what is the combat like?

Of those three?  GW has the highest.  Not sure on EQ or AC, but they're both first gen 3d mmos.  As far as combat, EQ and AC are pretty typical, although AC's design your own magic system is cool, to me at least.  GW is a little more dynamic, but hardly hack and slash.  GW is mostly about the PvP in endgame too.  But I truly don't know if GW will run on that comp.  It might though.

• CacaphonyCacaphony Member Posts: 738

I would have to say EQ with those specs.  I would say for him to try out the Escape to norrath trial first... just to make sure.  I couldnt say how well the game is populated though.... havent played it in a while. 

Looking of my Prophecy Of Ro expansion system requirements thing it says

Recommended specs is:

Pentium 4 or greater/ 512mb of ram/ Radeon 8500 or Nvidia Geforce 3 or greater/ DX9

Originally posted by skeaser

DAOC

I was thinking this, I'll take a look at  both this and AC.

Thanks for the help Skeaser and Z man!

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

Dofus has quite low system requirements, it might run on that computer.

Originally posted by Vrika

Dofus has quite low system requirements, it might run on that computer.

It does, but niether of us could get into it.

• SinellaSinella Member UncommonPosts: 343

Originally posted by drbaltazar

No grouping or guilding.

There is grouping and guilding in RuneScape, you just don't have to form a party, but you can fight in group with others in multicombat areas. You get the same exp as you were fighting alone. There are even bosses you can't kill alone, like Kalphite Queen, you definitely need a team to kill it. I've just read about a similar system on GW2 wiki site, it was mentioned there as a cool new and more immersive way of grouping.

And for guilds there is clan chat, where you can set ranks and access levels for players. There are lot of guilds in RS, no guild housing though. There is a PvP arena-type game in RS called Clan Wars.

On a side-note, you get the same xp in PvP as in PvE, based on your hits.

• csheadsh0tcsheadsh0t Member Posts: 77

Cant you buy a better computer than that for $50?

• flydowntomeflydowntome Member Posts: 106

Mabinogi ran on my old POS comp with integrated graphics and 1 gig of ram, you might want to try it. You could also try the 2-d f2p games too.

• Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177

So this is more for my friend than me, as I have a decent computer.

He's got a computer with only 900 megs of ram, a processor from 2002 and likely a video card from 03.

I don't actually know the exact specs, those are just what I can remember as sticking out. But he has a shitty computer.

The only MMO I've seen him run on the computer with moderate success is WoW.

He won't be upgrading for at least a few months, we need something to play over the summer, and WoW isn't going to cut it.

So, what MMOs could we play?

I was thinking FFXI, but the trial is gone now(WTF honestly?) so it's a no go...

...the game needs a trial so we can make sure his computer can run it and that both of us have some interest in it.

EQ all the way baby! You could go play on Rallos Zek and then you will be able to say "I'm straight outta Rallos Zek!", which is nerd language for saying that they come from somewhere ruthless and badass like a banger would say, "I'm straight outta Compton!" . ..

lol

Guildwars runs pretty good on old systems and is a great game.

Darkfall has a trial and is the funnest game that I have ever played. Forget sieging though cuz the lag on a crappy computer will be unbareable but I hardly ever siege anyways so wouldnt matter much for me. I wonder if it would run . .. it has been in development for over 12 years so was originally designed for a single core processor but that doesn't mean much anymore . ..?

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA