Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Biggest Immersion breaker.

13»

Comments

• TorikTorik Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

Non-consensual PvP and death panalties are teh biggest immerison breakers for me.  I get  myself all immersed in what my character is doing and then I am ripped away from it and have to go do non-mmersive stuff just to get back into what I was doing originally.

• JazqaJazqa Member Posts: 465

Long flight paths or straight roads to run, this makes me press autorun and alt tab to mozilla and after 25minutes I realise "ohh I have the game on the background" and I'm probably dead or something.

• jonrd463jonrd463 Member UncommonPosts: 607

For those who love to hate the chronic jumpers. ;)

"You'll never win an argument with an idiot because he is too stupid to recognize his own defeat." ~Anonymous

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

Biggest immersion breaker for me: any game where you can buy any sort of content for real money.

I sneak in stealth through the dense forest I've never been it before. Which threats lurk here I don't know. Suddenly I hear a noise behind me. Is it an ally or death incarnate? A deep growl makes me freeze. A second later I drop my stealth and speed through the dense undergrowth. There, a house, can I reach it in time? As I reach the doorframe and try to jump inwards a window pops up: "to access this zone, please buy it in the cash shop".

-.-

Or:

I travel through the lands on my trusty wolf. Granted, he smells a bit and bites a child every now and then when hungry, and got fleas, but he's been with me for a long time. The area I'm in is deserted. But behold: there in the distance: movement, a rider. I utter a guttural command and my wolf speeds in the direction. As I reach the rider and greet him with a friendly wave I marvel at the beauty of his steed, and ask where he aquired it. He replies "25€ in the cash shop".

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• MeridionMeridion Member UncommonPosts: 1,495

Invisible walls. By (very) far.

Remember Dark and Light? It was crappy, buggy, choppy, laggy, crashy, messy and screwed up in general, but hell I never again felt such a sense of being in a world. A mountain was a mountain, a mile was a mile and a flying mount actually flew at 30000 feet alt.. 

That's an old PR pic, just to manifest a shadow of an impression, reaching one of those mountains by foot was exactly as long as you would estimate, about two hours... at running speed. 

M

• melmoth1melmoth1 Member Posts: 762

Ach, i agree with all the previous posts.

But to add to the list.

For me it is burnout and that deja vu feeling that I have done this - quest, pvp mini game, dungeon, character, etc - a million times before in this game and all the other games. Oh gawd another mmorpg with the same old groundhog day.

Just before complete burnout I hop around other games and just go through the motions of the same old treadmill. It's like going on a world tour of shopping malls when you are really looking for a sunset on Mt Fuji, a draft pint of Innis & Gunn, and the aura borealis in northern Scotland (sorry for the cheesy examples lol). 

Regards

Melmoth

ed typo

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

Originally posted by arieste

people who argue about roleplaying.  i've not much issue with people carrying on general OOC conversations, frankly, even discussing current even doesn't take me out of the game as much as some dumbass debating whether or not "elves really did not know how to swear and that pretend-fighting is or isn't the 'right' way to play".

Immersion != roleplaying.

Roleplaying = slip into a role and play the character accordingly.

Immersion = losing awareness of your actual surroundings.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• TyphadoTyphado Member Posts: 177

You know you guys have pretty much covered most of em.

epeen shlong danglers

bunnies

griefers

One more though. The mathmaticians, eft whores (EVE), stat calculaters etc.

I want to play a game and play the way that I think's fun, I don't play to find out what's the maximum possible efficiency you can reach. Having someone yelling in my face "YOUR LOSING 2% DAMAGE CAUSE YOUR AREN"T WEARING THE PINK LOINCLOTH ON YOUR HEAD"..... that shits damn annoying.

Into the breach meatbags