Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oh no... planets... dots... help!

Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

I don't know why but for the last six hours all i've done in game is move these little dots around on planets. im on Sisi right now messing with the latest build of planetary interaction.

I want to stop but can't... What seemed like a pretty basic feature has grown on me and now im building this little industrial empire across several planets within this lone Caldari system.

20-30 little dots all with thier own little timers... This should be a micro management nightmare but im enjoying myself.

timers for extractors, timers for production, timers for everything!!! brb... I need to click on a dot and tell thsi thing to keep gathering...

oh... time to upgrade supply lines, oh! need to warp to some materials i shot into space, damn.... forgot to set the landing platform down.  so i can send items to the planet to build water widgets that are required for a scematic.  that makes an item required to for two other schematics... All with timers!!!!!!

I can't stop help... Im typing this form the ingame browser and im fucking addicted.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
Waiting on: GW2, BP

Comments

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

yea im looking forward to trying it out, probably wait for the next build though.

• stnylanstnylan Member Posts: 11

I seem to be missing something really obvious, because I can't get anything to work on PI yet. But then, I haven't had much time to play around in it either.

Originally posted by stnylan

I seem to be missing something really obvious, because I can't get anything to work on PI yet. But then, I haven't had much time to play around in it either.

Great!  One thing I do love about Eve is figuring things out :)   I hate it when its all dead obvious and dumbed down.

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

Originally posted by sadeyx

Great!  One thing I do love about Eve is figuring things out :)   I hate it when its all dead obvious and dumbed down.

Yeah theres no tutorial yet. I spent agreat deal of time figuring how to establish a decent extraction link up.

PI at first seems really simple but once you use elite command centers and start using eight planets that all support the other it gets a little crazy.

Also you can controll planets from 9-12 jumps away and go into low sec when you need to haul shit. Its pretty cool overall.

I dont know how profitable the feature will be since entry is so low but i will tell you the difference between a newb placing a basic command center and a person that trained all the planetary skills to 5 using elite centers is way different.

A new player is going to set up maybe a basic extraction plant on a planet with maybe 5-6 pins while an experienced industrialist will control multiple planets, each planet with over 30 pins from multiple jumps out.

its like comparing a high sec ratter in a frig to a 0.0 ratter.

• tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216

Originally posted by Rockgod99

Yeah theres no tutorial yet. I spent agreat deal of time figuring how to establish a decent extraction link up.

PI at first seems really simple but once you use elite command centers and start using eight planets that all support the other it gets a little crazy.

Also you can controll planets from 9-12 jumps away and go into low sec when you need to haul shit. Its pretty cool overall.

I dont know how profitable the feature will be since entry is so low but i will tell you the difference between a newb placing a basic command center and a person that trained all the planetary skills to 5 using elite centers is way different.

A new player is going to set up maybe a basic extraction plant on a planet with maybe 5-6 pins while an experienced industrialist will control multiple planets, each planet with over 30 pins from multiple jumps out.

so what do you get out of having all those planets linked up? Do you need to take supplies to the planets like you do with fuel to a pos? Do you just get mins and resources from planets? I know you dont know the cost of everything, but an estimate would be cool if you get the time, unless eveything involved isnt in tranquility.

Playing: EVE Online
    Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
    Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
    KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -

Originally posted by tvalentine

so what do you get out of having all those planets linked up? Do you need to take supplies to the planets like you do with fuel to a pos? Do you just get mins and resources from planets? I know you dont know the cost of everything, but an estimate would be cool if you get the time, unless eveything involved isnt in tranquility.

Well each planets has five different types of resources that you can extract from them. the planets need to have a command center placed on them (the player will have access to a few different types depending on planetary management skills).

Depending on what Command center you use (each one has a different CPU/power capacity) you will know how many pings you can place down on a planet.

There are a few different types of pins. Theres the five extractor pins, three production pins (basic, advanced, high tech) each one is loaded with schematics). Then theres storage pins, launch pins (so you can send stuff down to the surface).

When you place a Pin each one has a isk value. anywhere from 150k to 1.5 million isk for a pin depending on quality of the structure. your charged once you place the pin and select confirm.

with max skills i was told we could build on eight planets (all of your planets can be controlled through the science and industry window).

Now depending on what type of planet you set up you have the option of moving materials around and deploying them onto another planet.

As an example i use one planet that exracts nothing but two specific materials. these materials then are sent up into orbit with my ship waiting to send them to a planet that strictly produces items using those two materials.

I hope that helps a bit. honestly its early and I havent had my coffee yet later on ill add to this post if needed.

The highlighted text is me answering your question the rest is just some random info because im retarded atm with no coffee in me.

• ZeletorZeletor Member Posts: 150

Nothing useful to contribute except that the OP's language in describing the experience made me grin. :) Excited to get to play with Tyrannis stuff more!

Currently playing: LOTRO, Guild Wars 2.
    Have played: EVE Online; Champions Online; Age of Conan; City of Heroes/Villains; Star Wars Galaxies (pre-CU, pre-NGE); World of Warcraft (Vanilla to Cataclysm); Hellgate: London; Warhammer Online; Lord of the Rings Online; Vanguard: Saga of Heroes; Star Wars: The Old Republic
    Wishlist: Mass Effect Online

• tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216

Originally posted by tvalentine

Well each planets has five different types of resources that you can extract from them. the planets need to have a command center placed on them (the player will have access to a few different types depending on planetary management skills).

Depending on what Command center you use (each one has a different CPU/power capacity) you will know how many pings you can place down on a planet.

There are a few different types of pins. Theres the five extractor pins, three production pins (basic, advanced, high tech) each one is loaded with schematics). Then theres storage pins, launch pins (so you can send stuff down to the surface).

When you place a Pin each one has a isk value. anywhere from 150k to 1.5 million isk for a pin depending on quality of the structure. your charged once you place the pin and select confirm.

with max skills i was told we could build on eight planets (all of your planets can be controlled through the science and industry window).

Now depending on what type of planet you set up you have the option of moving materials around and deploying them onto another planet.

As an example i use one planet that exracts nothing but two specific materials. these materials then are sent up into orbit with my ship waiting to send them to a planet that strictly produces items using those two materials.

I hope that helps a bit. honestly its early and I havent had my coffee yet later on ill add to this post if needed.

The highlighted text is me answering your question the rest is just some random info because im retarded atm with no coffee in me.

ahh ok it makes a bit more sense now.

Playing: EVE Online
    Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
    Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
    KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -

Originally posted by Zeletor

Nothing useful to contribute except that the OP's language in describing the experience made me grin. :) Excited to get to play with Tyrannis stuff more!

LOL!

Dude I swear PI is freaking fun.

Once I get out of work you can bet your ass that ill be playing on Sisi micro managing all my planets.

• WycliffeWycliffe Member Posts: 354

My CEO's been playing around with it for awhile now. He's more of an industrialist than I am tho, aside from flying a retriever and gas miners I mostly just blow sh*t up.

I've been on the test server for about a week now getting my head around PI !  I'd have to agree it is really good fun.  Its quite simple.. but at the same time really complex!

If you want to make some of the high-tier products you will need to organise and plan the world types that you need, what combination of products, where your going to get them from.. its brilliant!

Once you've got everything setup though you can just leave it and come back a few days later because you still need to warp about taking stuff to different planets (pvp opportunites galore!)

I just need to decide now which part of 0.0 I want to colonise :)

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

So I digged this old thread up to ask: Is PI more of a "watering the plants" than for example moon mining? -Since without water your plant will wither and die. How much of a chore will it be to fiddle with it? -Once a month? Once a week? Every day? Every other hour?

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• batolemaeusbatolemaeus Member CommonPosts: 2,061

From what I've seen on Sisi it's basically the functional equivalent of moon mining on planets.
    You need to check your pos every few days, and the same is true for your extraction and reaction network on planets. I'd PI takes slightly more time investment.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by batolemaeus
    From what I've seen on Sisi it's basically the functional equivalent of moon mining on planets.
    You need to check your pos every few days, and the same is true for your extraction and reaction network on planets. I'd PI takes slightly more time investment.

Did anyone expect more?

• qazymanqazyman Member Posts: 1,785

Originally posted by Gdemami

Originally posted by batolemaeus

Did anyone expect more?

You mean like Dust?

Originally posted by Quirhid

So I digged this old thread up to ask: Is PI more of a "watering the plants" than for example moon mining? -Since without water your plant will wither and die. How much of a chore will it be to fiddle with it? -Once a month? Once a week? Every day? Every other hour?

It depends. You can set your planets to extract quickly so you need to constantly check on it or set a long extraction and mess with it every week or so.

Its kinda cool how casual an experience it can be.

On sisi I set short timers and after two or three planets it started becoming a little much for my casual playstyle. with a minor adjustment I set it so i could manage it on the weekends.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by qazyman

You mean like Dust?

No, more than moon mining transferred onto planet.

You mean like Dust?

I dont know shit about moon mining, I havent really read anyone comparing it to that feature on the forums though.

Can you create supply lines on Moons? is there a set of schematics available within structures on moons? Do you have to monitor and flow of materials, available Cpu and power of supply lines between pins on moons?

Can more that one person in different corps/alliances mine on one moon and if so do the avialible materials increase or decrease depending on the actions of the developer?

Anyway like I said i dont know much about moon mining but thats the stuff ive been able to do with PI on  Sisi.

• qazymanqazyman Member Posts: 1,785

You mean like Dust?

Yeah I forgot about MM being available to everyone under the EVE gate.