Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lineage 2 vs Everquest 2

ZenNatureZenNature Member CommonPosts: 354

I'm currently playing both trials of Lineage 2 and Everquest 2, and am curious how you all would compare the two (even though I know they are very, very different). I'd like to subscribe to one of them by the end of the trials, and would like to get an idea of positives and negatives besides what I've seen from the trial version so far. Can't afford subbing to both, so its a tough decision. And I'm not interested in L2's private servers so don't bother mentioning it.

For example, I know L2 has a lot more focus spent on pvp then EQ2 if I felt like pvping, while L2 is older and seems to have less people in the starting areas so grouping wouldn't be as viable at earlier levels. Compared to finding groups in EQ2 at any level thanks to mentoring and more people leveling alts, it sounds like EQ2 would give me more pve while L2 would give more pvp, right?

I recently upgraded my system a bit and both games look great to me, so graphics is not an issue. I might be leaning slightly towards L2 looking better on my system, but I can make up my mind on that with the trial.

What about endgame for both of them? How do the two compare as far as time it takes to reach endgame, or are they both equally more enjoyable ignoring the xp bar? Is L2 all pvp, and EQ2 all pve? I might not make it that far, and that's fine but just curious what the top guilds are focusing on atm.

I'm also pretty sold on playing a warden and conjurer from EQ2, or a kamael berserker and human arcana lord from L2. I enjoy playing two classes just to keep from burning out on one, and to branch out in different quest/farming paths when available.

I don't mind grinding at all, and sometimes prefer it over questing. I also like to have options when I login, so whenever I play I'm not locked in to doing one thing.

Thank you in advance for any info or opinions you can share!

Comments

• Mellow44Mellow44 Member Posts: 599

Get the free trials for both games and make up your own mind.

There really is no point to these x versus y threads since most pay to play games have free trials.

All those memories will be lost in time, like tears in the rain.

• RuleroRulero Member UncommonPosts: 42

i dont know how l2 is now but the grind is really a chore. the world has no real lore.. just seperated bits. and meaningless quests.  the pvp is great but  but it will take a lot of grind to get there.  also  eq2 is more suited for short sessions. and more pve based.

• NovusodNovusod Member UncommonPosts: 912

I played and paid for both at one time. I stuck with Eq2 because L2 is overrun with bots and RMT sellers. Lineage II is honestly probably the better game but RMT farmers ruined that game. Anyway Eq2 has improved quite a bit over the years by adding nice features such as appearance gear and guild halls.

• ZenNatureZenNature Member CommonPosts: 354

Originally posted by Mellow44

There really is no point to these x versus y threads since most pay to play games have free trials.

Actually mellow, there is a very clear point to these x versus y threads and I say that in the first paragraph. There is only so much I can experience in the trial's limited timeframe. Thank you for the reply, but it would've been more helpful and appropriate if you at least made it past the title.

• ZarcobZarcob Member Posts: 207

I leveled up in EQ2 recently.  It was great at a low level, because of mentoring, so I was able to find groups, but because I wanted to visit some of the old dungeons those group options quickly evaporated at later levels.

I also hit a complete glass ceiling when I reached max level.  If you're interested in getting into raiding at all, it was virtually impossible because I couldn't get on a PUG raid without the experience and couldn't join a guild without the equipment from the raids.  Just about every guild required me to own my epic, for instance, which I couldn't make on my own or with my small guild.

EQ2's a decent game overall, not without its flaws but not bad, but it's just so old, the population so small and so entrenched and jaded, that it's really hard to do all that much.  The groups became few and far between until maxing out and doing Shard runs.

I have no idea how the expansion's changed it though.  These things can temporarily revitalize a game and sometimes let new players catch up, so you may not have that experience at all.  I haven't played L2 since beta though so I couldn't give an accurate comparison.

The morning sun has vanquished the horrible night.

Thanks rule and novu,

You both mentioned some concerns I already had about L2. I don't mind a grind, but on the other hand if it means I will be stuck in the same zone for weeks with nothing else to do but kill mobs, that isn't going to be fun.

What options are there in L2 while leveling? I haven't seen anything besides killing mobs, questing, and crafting in the trial so far. That might make up my mind right there.

Originally posted by ZenNature

Actually mellow, there is a very clear point to these x versus y threads and I say that in the first paragraph. There is only so much I can experience in the trial's limited timeframe. Thank you for the reply, but it would've been more helpful and appropriate if you at least made it past the title.

So you would rather have other people tell you their experiences instead of experience it for yourself?

Originally posted by Zarcob

I leveled up in EQ2 recently.  It was great at a low level, because of mentoring, so I was able to find groups, but because I wanted to visit some of the old dungeons those group options quickly evaporated at later levels.

I also hit a complete glass ceiling when I reached max level.  If you're interested in getting into raiding at all, it was virtually impossible because I couldn't get on a PUG raid without the experience and couldn't join a guild without the equipment from the raids.  Just about every guild required me to own my epic, for instance, which I couldn't make on my own or with my small guild.

EQ2's a decent game overall, not without its flaws but not bad, but it's just so old, the population so small and so entrenched and jaded, that it's really hard to do all that much.  The groups became few and far between until maxing out and doing Shard runs.

I have no idea how the expansion's changed it though.  These things can temporarily revitalize a game and sometimes let new players catch up, so you may not have that experience at all.  I haven't played L2 since beta though so I couldn't give an accurate comparison.

Good to know. I'll just keep in mind grouping might be harder in EQ2 then I expected, but I've enjoyed EQ2 and L2 solo for the past week so it probably won't bother me. I'm sure it varies between servers too.

So you would rather have other people tell you their experiences instead of experience it for yourself?

Yes, I am asking for their/your experiences because I know I will not experience endgame for myself, or much of the PVP or midlevel PVE in either game, within the trial period. I'm well aware every post is only their perspective and MMMV image

Yes, I am asking for their/your experiences because I know I will not experience endgame for myself, or much of the PVP or midlevel PVE in either game, within the trial period. I'm well aware every post is only their perspective and MMMV image

Ok then, L2 is sexy but gets more and more boring as you level up, EQ2 is fun but it can be lonely due to a lack of other players.

• DoomsDay01DoomsDay01 Member UncommonPosts: 783

I cant speak for L2, but I have played EQ2 with both a conjuror and a warden. The warden is an absolute blast to play with the AA system that they implemented. For the warden, its all about those AA points. I don't think I ever spent a single point in its normal advancement, the AA's were just sooo much better.

The conjuror is also a very powerful character, if played right, and have the adapts for your spells and masters if you can afford them, they are solo gods.

The problem I have with EQ2 is that spell costs suck. Both pet spells and warden spells were amongst the highest priced spells in the game. I have never liked the idea of spell drops as loot because people are freaking greedy as hell. If you play EQ2, and play as a warden or conjuror, expect to stay broke when it comes to your spells. The normal spells you get as you level are not nearly as powerful as their adapt or master upgrades and are really needed if you expect to solo well. Even grouping can be hard without them because, for the most part, they are far far better then the crap ones you get in the npc stores.

I dont know much about the AA points for the conjuror because they implemented that after I already had my conjuror near max level at the time, so I never got to dabble in it.

Cool, thanks mellow. Kinda my impression from what I've seen/read so far too, so probably gonna be EQ2. Either way, I'll probably be soloing a lot in either game so might as well be the one more people agree is fun / less of a grind.

Doomsday,

Is that cost reduced a lot if I make one of them a sage in crafting skills, or is it still expensive even then?

I've already been messing with the AAs and I like the design. Lookin forward to getting deeper in to that.

I also love elemental summoning classes for some reason, if you can tell. If my system could run Aion, I'm pretty sure I'd be in there as a spiritmaster, but luckily my tie for 2nd choice mmo has either the conjurer or arcana lord to fill that spot.

• DevilXaphanDevilXaphan Member UncommonPosts: 1,144

Last time i played L2 was 2 years ago. The bot and rmt situation is not as bad as people say it is, there are some bots but not enough to hamper your game play and the rmt spam in chat is not that bad just use block when they appear. The leveling xp is easy to solo grind in the begining up to level 40 and after that to level 70 won't be that hard to grind out. Plenty of dungeons to keep you occupied, couple of instances to help you level also. Skill books are obtained in your starting village and Giran will be your first big city filled with stores to find weapons and armor.

Making money is a bit hard because of the high prices but not impossible. Saving money to 40 will be easy as you don't need to spend much even for teleports. Best thing is to find a guild to join by level 30 or 40 for the higher group content. The world bosses are hotly contested by the lager alliances or guilds while the lower bosses are not so much but they do get farmed frequently.

L2 is more based on PvP for the castles and forts that are fought over, PvE is very few quests that reward little money and xp. Crafting is hard as you need to acquire recipes and some hard to find items plus crystals. So basically you will have 3 characters to play with: your main, your crafter(artisan) and your scavenger which will help make your money and gather craft items. You can buy armor and weapons up to high C grade, after that you buy off the personnel stores or craft your stuff.

Cool, thanks mellow. Kinda my impression from what I've seen/read so far too, so probably gonna be EQ2. Either way, I'll probably be soloing a lot in either game so might as well be the one more people agree is fun / less of a grind.

You are welcome. image

By the way...   have you ever considered going back to EQ?

Yeah Devil, to be honest I haven't seen a single bot or farmer since starting so that hasn't worried me too much. I already made it to 20 on the mystic and catching up quick with the warrior. I heard they sped up the leveling a lot since a couple years ago, so might be even quicker then you remember it.

I think my problem with going for L2 right now is just the lack of things to do. I don't like the sound of crafting so far, and EQ2 crafting is kinda cool with it's minigame-like approach to it. If all that is left in L2 is killing mobs, I think I'll pass. I was kinda hoping there was something else there that I'm missing.

Doomsday,

Is that cost reduced a lot if I make one of them a sage in crafting skills, or is it still expensive even then?

I've already been messing with the AAs and I like the design. Lookin forward to getting deeper in to that.

I also love elemental summoning classes for some reason, if you can tell. If my system could run Aion, I'm pretty sure I'd be in there as a spiritmaster, but luckily my tie for 2nd choice mmo has either the conjurer or arcana lord to fill that spot.

It can be cheap IF you do all the gathering for your ingredients yourself. The minute you start buying them from the AH, it gets very expensive. The adapts require rare componants that you would have to gather/harvest yourself. Luck is also involved in actually getting the rare that you need for whatever adapt your trying to make. but be forwarned, master pet spells are out of this world in price compared to everything else in the game, or at least was when I played last year.

I am a pet freak to. EQ1 was the mage, loved my pets in that game. Eq2's version is nothing in comparison to eq1 though. I still consider the eq2 conjuror as more of a necro then a mage. I still can not understand why they took the conjuror down the DOT line. It really upset me over that.

The spirit master is fun in aion. When you get into the upper 30's, having 2 or 3 fears for pvp is absolutely awesome but the grind in that game was just horrid in my opinion.

You are welcome. image

I never could get in to EQ1 for some reason. I played it off and on with friends at the time, but the only thing I enjoyed was wandering around Kelethin - first ingame city in the trees that I experienced image I was a big fan of UO and AC at the time though. I left UO for AC around the time everyone got upset at EA splitting the shards in two for PVE/PVP. I never got tired of AC, but unfortunately it's in dire need of a graphics overhaul nowadays!

You are welcome. image

I never could get in to EQ1 for some reason. I played it off and on with friends at the time, but the only thing I enjoyed was wandering around Kelethin - first ingame city in the trees that I experienced image I was a big fan of UO and AC at the time though. I left UO for AC around the time everyone got upset at EA splitting the shards in two for PVE/PVP. I never got tired of AC, but unfortunately it's in dire need of a graphics overhaul nowadays!

I see.

I went back to eq1 for about a month or so. The graphics in it are just horrible by todays standards. I still love the slower paced combat but the overall game has changed so drastically that I can not call it EQ1 anymore. All of the original zones were just absolutely dead. you could have the entire zones to yourself if you wanted. The gameplay has also changed so drastically to compete with wow that it is just a shell of what it used to be.

Originally posted by DoomsDay01

Doomsday,

It can be cheap IF you do all the gathering for your ingredients yourself. The minute you start buying them from the AH, it gets very expensive. The adapts require rare componants that you would have to gather/harvest yourself. Luck is also involved in actually getting the rare that you need for whatever adapt your trying to make. but be forwarned, master pet spells are out of this world in price compared to everything else in the game, or at least was when I played last year.

I am a pet freak to. EQ1 was the mage, loved my pets in that game. Eq2's version is nothing in comparison to eq1 though. I still consider the eq2 conjuror as more of a necro then a mage. I still can not understand why they took the conjuror down the DOT line. It really upset me over that.

The spirit master is fun in aion. When you get into the upper 30's, having 2 or 3 fears for pvp is absolutely awesome but the grind in that game was just horrid in my opinion.

Ok, good to know about the mat pricing. I probably would harvest most of it myself based on my wanderlust lately. I'm sure I'll get bags full of mats with how easily I get distracted away from actual quests.

My first summoner was Diablo 2's necro. You could say I was too easily entertained with slowing down everyone's computer to a crawl. I maxed out everything related to amount of pets I could have. Just give me a minute or two, and you couldn't see anything but my minions swarming the screen. Too much fun!

Probably best that I can't run Aion yet then. I'd lose all my free time to the grind after what I've seen of it. Maybe by the time I upgrade, they'll have scaled that back a bit.